|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 3, The Wolverette.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is political and social climate of Detroit in this chapter?
(a) There is racial harmony between blacks and whites.
(b) The federal government has taken over control of the city.
(c) There is racial conflict between black and whites.
(d) Poor economics have forced several local businesses to close.
2. What happens to Milton as he is about to go into war that Desdemona believes is an answer to her prayers?
(a) He is discharged from the Navy and is able to return to Detroit to work in the Zebra Room.
(b) He receives word that Tessie has broken off her engagement to Mike.
(c) He receives word that he has been accepted to the US Naval Academy and is immediately transported off of the ship.
(d) He is injured by a fellow seaman and spends the rest of the war safely in a US hospital.
3. In "Opa!", why is Milton suddenly around the house more than at the diner?
(a) The bank has foreclosed on the diner.
(b) Business is bad so Milton closes the restaurant several days a week.
(c) Milton has sold the Zebra Room to a new owner.
(d) Milton wants to help care for his father, Lefty, after his stroke.
4. Why does Milton decide to take the Annapolis entrance exam?
(a) Because he believes that being accepted into Annapolis will make Tessie proud of him.
(b) Because he will be exempt from drills while taking the test.
(c) Because he has dreamed of becoming a Navy officer.
(d) Because he wants to be relocated closer to Tessie.
5. Who marries Lefty and Desdemona on the boat?
(a) No one, they are not married until they reach America.
(b) Dr. Philobosian.
(c) A priest traveling on the Giulia.
(d) Captain Kontoulis.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Lefty teach Desdemona to help her pass the English literacy test required for entry into America?
2. What does Desdemona vow to never do again after Milton's birth?
3. What does Desdemona attempt to smuggle into the U.S. in her silkworm box?
4. Why does Jimmy Fioretos call to wake Milton early one morning?
5. Which of the following actions is NOT part of Lefty and Desdemona's plan to convince themselves and others that they are young lovers rather than brother and sister?
This section contains 491 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)