|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 3, The Gun on the Wall.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Desdemona do following Lefty's death?
(a) She climbs into her bed and does not leave it for ten years.
(b) She moves to the Southwest with Sourmelina.
(c) She moves from the guest house into the main house at Middlesex.
(d) She wails and throws herself on his coffin.
2. Who discovers Callie's unusual genitals in this chapter?
(a) The emergency room doctor and nurse.
(b) Dr. Luce.
(c) The Object.
3. Why does the narrator say that the riots were "the best thing that ever happened to us"?
(a) Fear of having their home and business destroyed during the riots brought the Stephanides family closer together.
(b) The riots made the Stephanides family develop a strong sense of pride in their Greek heritage.
(c) Because Lefty had three insurance policies on the Zebra Room, the family was paid a large sum of money when the business burned down.
(d) Because the Zebra Room was a failing business, it was a relief to the family to not have to worry about profits any more.
4. What is unusual about Desdemona's presence on Hastings Street?
(a) Hastings Street is a long distance from her home on Hurlbut.
(b) Hastings Street is primarily a white neighborhood and Desdemona is black.
(c) Desdemona is dressed in traditional Greek clothing while everyone on Hastings Street is dressed in modern clothing.
(d) Hastings Street is primarily a black neighborhood and Desdemona is white.
5. What condition must Desdemona meet to be hired by the Temple No. 1?
(a) She must pledge allegiance to their religious leader, Minister Fard.
(b) She must demonstrate that she knows how to weave silk into fabric.
(c) She must convince them that she had black ancestors.
(d) She must prove that she is capable of raising silk worms.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the Object tell Callie that she (Callie) sees "no irony in"?
2. What does Desdemona vow to never do again after Milton's birth?
3. How do Callie and the Object react to Jerome's vampire movie shoot in the woods?
4. How does the Object act towards Callie the morning after the hunting lodge visit?
5. What does Lefty decide to do to earn money to support his family after Jimmy Zismo's death?
This section contains 518 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)