Book 1, The Silver Spoon
• The story begins with the narrator telling the reader he was born twice. Once as a baby girl and once as a teenage boy.
• The narrator (Cal) is conceived following a scientific method which will supposedly assure that the baby will be a girl.
• Desdemona predicts Tessie and Milton's baby will be a boy. The baby delivered is a girl.
Book 1, Matchmaking
• The narrator takes the story back to Bithynios, Turkey in 1922 and focuses on his grandparents, Desdemona and Lefty.
• Desdemona and Lefty struggle with conflicted feelings towards one another. On one hand they are brother and sister and on the other hand they are sexually attracted to each other.
• Lefty visits Bursa to sell silk cocoons and to visit a brothel where he has sex with a prostitute whom he calls by his sister's name.
• Desdemona attempts to get Lefty to marry one...
This section contains 2,616 words
(approx. 9 pages at 300 words per page)