|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many children do Mary and Fred have?
2. With whom does Dorothea collaborate to improve life for poor farmers?
(c) Caleb Garth.
3. Lydgate tells Farebrother that all finances result from what?
(a) Hard work.
(c) Inherited wealth.
4. Who has decided to leave town in Chapter 76?
5. Dover, the man to whom Lydgate owes many of his debts, has come to repossess what item(s) belonging to Lydgate?
6. Who is implicated in Raffles' death?
(a) Lydgate and Rosamond.
(b) Bulstrode and Mr. Garth.
(c) No one.
(d) Lydgate and Bulstrode.
7. What does Fred ask of Farebrother at the beginning of Chapter 52?
(a) To loan Fred money.
(b) To perform the wedding ceremony for Mary and himself.
(c) To get Mary's opinion on Fred pursuing a career in the church.
(d) To deliver a letter of proposal.
8. Who remains unsure about the extent of Lydgate's involvement in Raffles' death?
9. Who tells Rosamond of the suspicions about Lydgate?
(a) Mrs. Bulstrode.
(b) Mrs. Vincy.
(c) Mrs. Cadwallader.
10. Rosamond raises how many children, alone?
11. What does Rosamond want Lydgate to do about their debt?
(a) Sell the house.
(b) Sell his practice.
(c) Get another job.
(d) Ask Mr. Vincy for money.
12. To make his problems go away, Lydgate has tried what?
(d) All answers are correct.
13. Bulstrode asks his wife's opinion on what issue?
(a) The progress of the hospital.
(b) A business proposal.
(c) Politics in Middlemarch.
(d) His final will.
14. Who rebukes Fred's gambling habit and implores him to behave in a manner that makes him worthy of Mary Garth?
(c) Mr. Garth.
15. How soon do Fred and Mary want to be married?
(a) They agree that the wedding should take place as soon as possible.
(b) Mary wants to wait two years, but Fred wants it to be sooner.
(c) Fred wants to wait two years, but Mary wants it to be sooner.
(d) They agree that two years is a good time to wait.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whom does Mrs. Garth want Mary to marry?
2. To whom does Rosamond write, asking for money?
3. Who had previously made suggestions as to who should be the overseer of Stone Court?
4. What ailment is affecting John Raffles while he resides at Stone Court?
5. Who dines with Farebrother, his mother, and his aunt?
This section contains 410 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)