|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Isadora tell Rutherford he should do instead of constantly getting drunk?
2. After talking with Isadora and Mr. Zeringue, where does Rutherford go that turns out to be filled with sailors?
3. Where does the explorer now reside?
4. According to Rutherford, what are Falcon's legs shorter than?
5. The next time Rutherford talks to Falcon, what does Falcon tell him he plans to do with the Allmuseri once they reach land?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Cringle is appointed to become captain once Falcon is out of the way, what does he promise the crew?
2. The night Rutherford meets with Zeringue, he finds that he owes Zeringue 50,000 francs. He also learns that Zeringue and Isadora have made a deal regarding his debt with Zeringue. What are the details of this deal?
3. On the day Rutherford meets Baleka and her mother, he throws Baleka a biscuit. What is her mother's response?
4. As Rutherford looks at the crates of souvenirs (such as scrolls, paintings, and prayer carpets), whom does he realize is paying for the items and why?
5. What is Captain Falcon's reason for telling Rutherford to sit down?
6. What ability does Rutherford lose while at sea?
7. How does Rutherford describe Captain Falcon?
8. Rutherford tells Isadora he doesn't want to marry anyone. As he thinks about the situation, what does he realize about his reluctance to marry Isadora?
9. Rutherford's first excuse for coming aboard the ship is that he is Squibb and is ready to work. What is his second excuse, after Cringle tells him that Squibb is on board?
10. What does Rutherford say about using sob stories in situations such as his first meeting with Captain Falcon?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast Zeringue's unsuccessful attempt to blackmail Rutherford into marrying Isadora in the beginning of the novel with Rutherford's successful attempt to blackmail Zeringue into canceling his wedding to Isadora so that Rutherford can marry her, and analyze why Rutherford was successful where Zeringue was not. Use the text as evidence of your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
Citing examples from the text, analyze and explain why Rutherford's grudges and resentment against his brother, Jackson, as well as his abandonment by both his father and (to an extent) Reverend Chandler, make it difficult for him to trust others.
Essay Topic 3
Using the text as backup, demonstrate and explain how the key that Rutherford gives Ngonyama in Entry 5 symbolizes the trust that is developing between the two men.
This section contains 667 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)