|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. This journal entry ends as:
(a) Rutherford dies.
(b) Rutherford reaches land.
(c) Rutherford is rescued by a passing ship.
(d) Rutherford feels himself slipping below the water.
2. Rutherford notices that Cringle's body is covered in:
(a) A rash.
(d) Open sores.
3. How long has the cargo been in existence?
(a) Since the Stone Age.
(b) Since the Middle Ages.
(d) Since the Roman times.
4. After Rutherford finds crew members in the storeroom, he returns to the captain's cabin. In what condition does he find Captain Falcon?
(c) Badly hurt.
5. When Rutherford falls while on deck, who comes to help him?
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Cringle wind up as part of the Republic's crew?
2. After Rutherford is made to go back to bed, he feels as if he is becoming _______________.
3. On what date did Rutherford's father try to escape?
4. Jackson is the epitome of goodness, and Rutherford is the ______________.
5. What does Captain Falcon tell Rutherford the secret cargo consists of?
Short Essay Questions
1. Captain Falcon tells Rutherford the names of the Republic's three financiers. Who are they?
2. Diamelo makes up many new rules that favor the Allmuseri and to which the Americans must submit. What winds up being the only one of these rules that is actually followed?
3. After Rutherford helps throw the boy's corpse overboard, he is left with a piece of the boy's rotting flesh in his hand. What feeling does this experience leave him with?
4. After Rutherford finishes his dinner conversation with Falcon and returns to the deck, he observes Meadows wearing various people's clothes and imitating them while beating the dogs. Why is he doing this?
5. When Cringle decides to begin the mutiny and sends Rutherford to Falcon's cabin, what happens to Fletcher?
6. When the slaves are brought up from the hold, among them is a dead boy. Why does Meadows slice off the boy's ears before throwing the corpse overboard?
7. What is the attitude and behavior of Diamelo, one of the Allmuseri men who led the rebellion, towards the Americans?
8. After Rutherford is thrown into the water, he sees the Allmuseri grabbing onto wood and debris to stay afloat; however, they are still very close to the ship. What happens to nearly all of the Allmuseri when the ship goes below the surface?
9. How do the slaves get free?
10. What is Falcon's motive for bringing the Allmuseri god on board?
This section contains 657 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)