|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many years older than Rutherford is his brother Jackson?
2. After the slave boy's corpse is thrown overboard, what does Ngonyama return to Rutherford?
(a) The gun Rutherford had given him.
(b) The ring Rutherford had given him.
(c) The key Rutherford had given him.
(d) The book Rutherford had given him.
3. When he finally makes it on deck, what does Rutherford realize about the slaves?
(a) They are all dead down in the hold, killed by the captain's men.
(b) They have escaped and are staging an uprising.
(c) They have escaped and jumped overboard.
(d) They are waiting in the hold, eager to participate in the mutiny.
4. When Ngonyama falls ill, what does Squibb diagnose him with?
(a) Internal bleeding.
5. What are the slaves forced to do in the hold so that as many of them as possible can be squeezed into the available space?
(a) Kneel with their hands above their heads.
(b) Sit in contorted positions.
(c) Lie on their sides.
(d) Stand at all times.
Short Answer Questions
1. Wounded limbs are treated by _____________; a sore tooth is treated by _____________.
2. When the ship sinks, where does it break apart?
3. When Ngonyama comes to bring Rutherford back on deck after the storm begins, how many passengers does Ngonyama tell Rutherford remain?
4. During the storm, although the deck is in chaos, Rutherford can see Ngonyama. What does Ngonyama do?
5. After the battle ends, whom do the Allmuseri accuse of being responsible for the brutal ways in which they were treated?
Short Essay Questions
1. After his discussion with Squibb, Rutherford goes back up on deck and sees Ngonyama looking out to sea toward Bangalang. What does this remind Rutherford of?
2. Captain Falcon tells Rutherford the names of the Republic's three financiers. Who are they?
3. When Cringle decides to begin the mutiny and sends Rutherford to Falcon's cabin, what happens to Fletcher?
4. When another storm comes up, Ngonyama helps Rutherford up to the deck just as an explosion rocks the boat. What appears to be the cause of the explosion?
5. When the slaves are brought up from the hold, among them is a dead boy. Why does Meadows slice off the boy's ears before throwing the corpse overboard?
6. When the Republic breaks apart, what does Squibb do?
7. When Ngonyama tells Rutherford that he would not harm the crew if he were master of the Republic, what reason does he give?
8. How do the slaves get free?
9. One night, Cringle tells Rutherford about his father. How does Cringle describe his father's attitude towards money and the rich?
10. After the ceremony the Allmuseri hold to cleanse the ship after the uprising, what does Ngonyama send Rutherford to do?
This section contains 709 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)