|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How old does Rutherford estimate the deceased slave boy to be?
(a) About his age.
(b) Older than him.
(c) About Ngonyama's age.
(d) Younger than him.
2. When Rutherford goes back up on deck after evaluating Baleka, which direction does he notice Ngonyama looking toward?
(b) New Orleans.
(c) The stern (back) of the boat.
(d) The bow (front) of the boat.
3. What is the only thing that Falcon is concerned with?
(a) Money and fame.
(b) World peace.
(c) His ship and crew.
(d) Finding a wife.
4. What form does the Allmuseri god take when Rutherford goes to feed it?
(b) Reverend Chandler, his master.
(c) Riley Calhoun, his father.
(d) Captain Falcon.
5. During the storm, although the deck is in chaos, Rutherford can see Ngonyama. What does Ngonyama do?
(a) He hangs himself.
(b) He lashs (ties) himself to the wheel.
(c) He lashs (ties) himself to the rudder.
(d) He lashs (ties) himself to the mast.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whom do Cringle and Rutherford find hiding in a storeroom?
2. Whom does Diamelo threaten to kill for not understanding orders?
3. When Ngonyama comes to bring Rutherford back on deck after the storm begins, how many passengers does Ngonyama tell Rutherford remain?
4. After Rutherford finds crew members in the storeroom, he returns to the captain's cabin. In what condition does he find Captain Falcon?
5. What are the slaves forced to do in the hold so that as many of them as possible can be squeezed into the available space?
Short Essay Questions
1. One night, Cringle tells Rutherford about his father. How does Cringle describe his father's attitude towards money and the rich?
2. After the ceremony the Allmuseri hold to cleanse the ship after the uprising, what does Ngonyama send Rutherford to do?
3. After his discussion with Squibb, Rutherford goes back up on deck and sees Ngonyama looking out to sea toward Bangalang. What does this remind Rutherford of?
4. When Cringle decides to begin the mutiny and sends Rutherford to Falcon's cabin, what happens to Fletcher?
5. When another storm comes up, Ngonyama helps Rutherford up to the deck just as an explosion rocks the boat. What appears to be the cause of the explosion?
6. What is Falcon's motive for bringing the Allmuseri god on board?
7. When Ngonyama tells Rutherford that he would not harm the crew if he were master of the Republic, what reason does he give?
8. After Rutherford finishes his dinner conversation with Falcon and returns to the deck, he observes Meadows wearing various people's clothes and imitating them while beating the dogs. Why is he doing this?
9. Captain Falcon tells Rutherford the names of the Republic's three financiers. Who are they?
10. When Ngonyama comes onto the orlop to check on Rutherford, what Allmuseri practice does Rutherford want to engage him in but cannot because he is too weak?
This section contains 710 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)