|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After the slave boy's corpse is thrown overboard, what does Ngonyama return to Rutherford?
(a) The gun Rutherford had given him.
(b) The key Rutherford had given him.
(c) The book Rutherford had given him.
(d) The ring Rutherford had given him.
2. That night, the Allmuseri have a ceremony to ___________ the ship.
(a) Take control of.
3. After Rutherford finds crew members in the storeroom, he returns to the captain's cabin. In what condition does he find Captain Falcon?
(d) Badly hurt.
4. What is the steak that Squibb feeds Rutherford after he returns to consciousness?
(c) New York strip.
5. What does the captain tell Rutherford he must do, no matter what happens?
(a) Stay away from Meadows.
(b) Continue writing in the ship's log.
(c) Stay on good terms with Squibb.
(d) Keep trying to get along with the Allmuseri.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Ngonyama comes to bring Rutherford back on deck after the storm begins, how many passengers does Ngonyama tell Rutherford remain?
2. What natural event does Rutherford fear the special cargo will bring about?
3. When Rutherford falls while on deck, who comes to help him?
4. Reverend Chandler tells Jackson and Rutherford they are ____________.
5. Who becomes the unofficial ship's doctor?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Cringle decides to begin the mutiny and sends Rutherford to Falcon's cabin, what happens to Fletcher?
2. Rutherford begins daydreaming about Isadora. What does he see himself doing in his daydream?
3. After his discussion with Squibb, Rutherford goes back up on deck and sees Ngonyama looking out to sea toward Bangalang. What does this remind Rutherford of?
4. When the Republic breaks apart, what does Squibb do?
5. When another storm comes up, Ngonyama helps Rutherford up to the deck just as an explosion rocks the boat. What appears to be the cause of the explosion?
6. What is Falcon's motive for bringing the Allmuseri god on board?
7. After Rutherford is thrown into the water, he sees the Allmuseri grabbing onto wood and debris to stay afloat; however, they are still very close to the ship. What happens to nearly all of the Allmuseri when the ship goes below the surface?
8. After Rutherford finishes his dinner conversation with Falcon and returns to the deck, he observes Meadows wearing various people's clothes and imitating them while beating the dogs. Why is he doing this?
9. Diamelo makes up many new rules that favor the Allmuseri and to which the Americans must submit. What winds up being the only one of these rules that is actually followed?
10. When the slaves are brought up from the hold, among them is a dead boy. Why does Meadows slice off the boy's ears before throwing the corpse overboard?
This section contains 691 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)