|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What Allmuseri martial art is based on fighting in close quarters while bound?
(d) Obnu Bilate.
2. How old does Rutherford estimate the deceased slave boy to be?
(a) About his age.
(b) Older than him.
(c) Younger than him.
(d) About Ngonyama's age.
3. How much of Rutherford's blood does Squibb eventually draw?
(a) A gallon.
(b) A quart.
(c) A cup.
(d) A pint.
4. What does the captain tell Rutherford he must do, no matter what happens?
(a) Continue writing in the ship's log.
(b) Stay on good terms with Squibb.
(c) Stay away from Meadows.
(d) Keep trying to get along with the Allmuseri.
5. After the slave boy's corpse is thrown overboard, what does Ngonyama return to Rutherford?
(a) The ring Rutherford had given him.
(b) The gun Rutherford had given him.
(c) The book Rutherford had given him.
(d) The key Rutherford had given him.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Rutherford convince the Allmuseri to spare Cringle's life?
2. After his conversation with Falcon, what does Rutherford see?
3. When Rutherford goes back on deck, what does he find himself dreaming of?
4. While in Falcon's cabin after the fight on deck, what does Ngonyama tell the rest of the Allmuseri?
5. Before Reverend Chandler said how he would dispose of his estate, Jackson had already stated that he would not accept a gift of land or property. What is Rutherford's opinion of his brother's statement?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the attitude and behavior of Diamelo, one of the Allmuseri men who led the rebellion, towards the Americans?
2. How do the slaves get free?
3. After Rutherford finishes his dinner conversation with Falcon and returns to the deck, he observes Meadows wearing various people's clothes and imitating them while beating the dogs. Why is he doing this?
4. When the Republic breaks apart, what does Squibb do?
5. After Rutherford is thrown into the water, he sees the Allmuseri grabbing onto wood and debris to stay afloat; however, they are still very close to the ship. What happens to nearly all of the Allmuseri when the ship goes below the surface?
6. One night, Cringle tells Rutherford about his father. How does Cringle describe his father's attitude towards money and the rich?
7. The night Rev. Chandler dies, he dismisses both brothers from his service. What does Rev. Chandler specifically tell Jackson about his efforts to help him?
8. Diamelo makes up many new rules that favor the Allmuseri and to which the Americans must submit. What winds up being the only one of these rules that is actually followed?
9. When Ngonyama tells Rutherford that he would not harm the crew if he were master of the Republic, what reason does he give?
10. Rutherford begins daydreaming about Isadora. What does he see himself doing in his daydream?
This section contains 785 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)