|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Before Reverend Chandler said how he would dispose of his estate, Jackson had already stated that he would not accept a gift of land or property. What is Rutherford's opinion of his brother's statement?
(a) He suggests Jackson reconsider.
(b) He calls Jackson wise.
(c) He calls Jackson an idiot.
(d) He calls Jackson a fool.
2. About whom does Rutherford find himself thinking as he writes in the ship's log?
(d) Reverend Chandler.
3. What does Captain Falcon ask Rutherford to give him?
(a) The magnetic ring he had given Rutherford.
(b) A drink of water.
(c) The gun he had given Rutherford.
(d) A knife.
4. What natural event does Rutherford fear the special cargo will bring about?
(a) A maelstrom.
(c) The Apocalypse.
(d) A hurricane.
5. After Rutherford finishes telling Squibb about Reverend Chandler's death, what illness does he say that Baleka seems to have?
(a) A fever.
(c) A cold.
6. What are the slaves forced to do in the hold so that as many of them as possible can be squeezed into the available space?
(a) Lie on their sides.
(b) Stand at all times.
(c) Kneel with their hands above their heads.
(d) Sit in contorted positions.
7. When Baleka comes to check on Rutherford, what does he notice about how she displays feelings?
(a) She never displays them to anyone.
(b) She expresses them very melodramatically.
(c) She wears them on her sleeve.
(d) She displays them very cautiously.
8. Where does Cringle send Rutherford to discuss the mutiny plans?
(a) The first mate's quarters.
(b) The captain's cabin.
(c) The crow's nest.
(d) The galley.
9. How did Cringle wind up as part of the Republic's crew?
(a) He was appointed to it by his father.
(b) He was shanghaied.
(c) He was commissioned after graduating from school.
(d) He volunteered.
10. How does Reverend Chandler dispose of his estate?
(a) He divides it between Jackson and Rutherford.
(b) He donates it to the city to be turned into a hospital.
(c) He gives it all to Jackson.
(d) He divides it among all of the slaves.
11. Who becomes the unofficial ship's doctor?
12. What does the captain tell Rutherford he must do, no matter what happens?
(a) Continue writing in the ship's log.
(b) Stay on good terms with Squibb.
(c) Stay away from Meadows.
(d) Keep trying to get along with the Allmuseri.
13. Whom does Diamelo threaten to kill for not understanding orders?
14. What Allmuseri martial art is based on fighting in close quarters while bound?
(b) Obnu Bilate.
15. Rutherford notices that Cringle's body is covered in:
(b) A rash.
(c) Open sores.
Short Answer Questions
1. On what date did Rutherford's father try to escape?
2. After going into the water, on what does Rutherford rely to keep him afloat?
3. What does Rutherford wind up inheriting from Reverend Chandler?
4. Whom do Cringle and Rutherford find hiding in a storeroom?
5. Reverend Chandler tells Jackson and Rutherford they are ____________.
This section contains 535 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)