|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. During the storm, although the deck is in chaos, Rutherford can see Ngonyama. What does Ngonyama do?
(a) He lashs (ties) himself to the wheel.
(b) He hangs himself.
(c) He lashs (ties) himself to the rudder.
(d) He lashs (ties) himself to the mast.
2. Before Reverend Chandler said how he would dispose of his estate, Jackson had already stated that he would not accept a gift of land or property. What is Rutherford's opinion of his brother's statement?
(a) He calls Jackson an idiot.
(b) He suggests Jackson reconsider.
(c) He calls Jackson a fool.
(d) He calls Jackson wise.
3. What does Ngonyama tell Rutherford he would do if he were master of the ship?
(a) He would sail back to Bangalang and enslave the crew.
(b) He would sail to New Orleans and return the ship to the crew.
(c) He would sail back to Bangalang and return the ship to the crew.
(d) He would sail back to Bangalang and kill the crew.
4. How did Cringle wind up as part of the Republic's crew?
(a) He volunteered.
(b) He was shanghaied.
(c) He was commissioned after graduating from school.
(d) He was appointed to it by his father.
5. Whom does Diamelo threaten to kill for not understanding orders?
6. When Reverend Chandler was near death, where did Jackson ask Rutherford to meet him?
(a) In Chandler's office.
(b) In Chandler's chambers.
(c) In the kitchen.
(d) In the living room.
7. Wounded limbs are treated by _____________; a sore tooth is treated by _____________.
(a) Antibiotics; cold compresses.
(b) Amputation; extraction.
(c) Antibiotics; extraction.
(d) Amputation; drilling and filling.
8. After his conversation with Falcon, what does Rutherford see?
(a) Meadows, imitating Falcon's voice and habits.
(b) Ngonyama, eavesdropping on the conversation.
(c) Meadows, imitating Rutherford's voice and habits.
(d) Squibb and his parrot, both drunk.
9. When Rutherford falls while on deck, who comes to help him?
10. What form does the Allmuseri god take when Rutherford goes to feed it?
(a) Reverend Chandler, his master.
(c) Captain Falcon.
(d) Riley Calhoun, his father.
11. Reverend Chandler tells Jackson and Rutherford they are ____________.
(a) Being conscripted into the army.
(b) Free to leave.
(c) Inheriting the entire plantation.
(d) Being sold to his neighbor.
12. How many years older than Rutherford is his brother Jackson?
13. When Rutherford goes back up on deck after evaluating Baleka, which direction does he notice Ngonyama looking toward?
(b) The stern (back) of the boat.
(c) The bow (front) of the boat.
(d) New Orleans.
14. What is Reverend Chandler's reaction to being told that Rutherford is present at his deathbed?
(a) He smiles.
(b) He cries.
(c) He frowns.
(d) He laughs.
15. After Rutherford finds crew members in the storeroom, he returns to the captain's cabin. In what condition does he find Captain Falcon?
(d) Badly hurt.
Short Answer Questions
1. What emotion does Rutherford feel for Captain Falcon after he finds him?
2. While in Falcon's cabin after the fight on deck, what does Ngonyama tell the rest of the Allmuseri?
3. What are the slaves forced to do in the hold so that as many of them as possible can be squeezed into the available space?
4. After the battle ends, whom do the Allmuseri accuse of being responsible for the brutal ways in which they were treated?
5. What is the steak that Squibb feeds Rutherford after he returns to consciousness?
This section contains 597 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)