|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Jackson is the epitome of goodness, and Rutherford is the ______________.
(a) Hard worker.
(b) Shrewd businessman.
(c) Problem child.
(d) Eccentric genius.
2. How much of Rutherford's blood does Squibb eventually draw?
(a) A cup.
(b) A gallon.
(c) A quart.
(d) A pint.
3. When Ngonyama falls ill, what does Squibb diagnose him with?
(c) Internal bleeding.
4. Whom do Cringle and Rutherford find hiding in a storeroom?
(b) Captain Falcon.
(c) Baleka and Squibb.
5. What does Captain Falcon ask Rutherford to give him?
(a) A drink of water.
(b) The magnetic ring he had given Rutherford.
(c) A knife.
(d) The gun he had given Rutherford.
6. What crime does Squibb get caught committing on board the ship?
(a) Stealing alcohol from the medical supplies.
(b) Stealing from the children's rations.
(c) Planning another mutiny.
(d) Stealing from Rutherford.
7. Where does Cringle send Rutherford to discuss the mutiny plans?
(a) The crow's nest.
(b) The captain's cabin.
(c) The first mate's quarters.
(d) The galley.
8. When Rutherford falls while on deck, who comes to help him?
9. How long has the cargo been in existence?
(b) Since the Roman times.
(c) Since the Middle Ages.
(d) Since the Stone Age.
10. What is Reverend Chandler's reaction to Jackson's refusal to accept a gift of land or property?
(a) He calls Jackson a visionary.
(b) He calls Jackson pathetic.
(c) He calls Jackson wise beyond his years.
(d) He suggests Jackson reconsider.
11. As Rutherford observes the condition of the slaves, what does he decide about Captain Falcon?
(a) He decides the captain needs to be treated like he is treating the slaves.
(b) He decides the captain needs to die.
(c) He decides the captain is evil.
(d) He decides the captain is mean.
12. How does Reverend Chandler dispose of his estate?
(a) He gives it all to Jackson.
(b) He divides it between Jackson and Rutherford.
(c) He divides it among all of the slaves.
(d) He donates it to the city to be turned into a hospital.
13. During the storm, although the deck is in chaos, Rutherford can see Ngonyama. What does Ngonyama do?
(a) He lashs (ties) himself to the wheel.
(b) He hangs himself.
(c) He lashs (ties) himself to the mast.
(d) He lashs (ties) himself to the rudder.
14. When he finally makes it on deck, what does Rutherford realize about the slaves?
(a) They have escaped and are staging an uprising.
(b) They have escaped and jumped overboard.
(c) They are waiting in the hold, eager to participate in the mutiny.
(d) They are all dead down in the hold, killed by the captain's men.
15. After Rutherford is made to go back to bed, he feels as if he is becoming _______________.
(a) Paralyzed and blind.
(b) Deaf and mute.
(c) Paralyzed and deaf.
(d) Blind and deaf.
Short Answer Questions
1. When the food rations become low, what do the crew begin eating?
2. Before Reverend Chandler said how he would dispose of his estate, Jackson had already stated that he would not accept a gift of land or property. What is Rutherford's opinion of his brother's statement?
3. How old does Rutherford estimate the deceased slave boy to be?
4. Reverend Chandler tells Jackson and Rutherford they are ____________.
5. What is the steak that Squibb feeds Rutherford after he returns to consciousness?
This section contains 574 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)