|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Captain Falcon tell Rutherford the secret cargo consists of?
(a) An Allmuseri king.
(b) An Allmuseri god.
(c) A never-before-seen bird.
(d) A dinosaur.
2. How does Rutherford convince the Allmuseri to spare Cringle's life?
(a) He convinces him that they need Cringle to read the maps.
(b) He convinces them that Cringle is their friend.
(c) He convinces them that only Cringle knows how to repair the ship.
(d) He convinces them to make him their slave.
3. What are the slaves forced to do in the hold so that as many of them as possible can be squeezed into the available space?
(a) Stand at all times.
(b) Lie on their sides.
(c) Sit in contorted positions.
(d) Kneel with their hands above their heads.
4. How many years older than Rutherford is his brother Jackson?
5. Reverend Chandler tells Jackson and Rutherford they are ____________.
(a) Being sold to his neighbor.
(b) Inheriting the entire plantation.
(c) Being conscripted into the army.
(d) Free to leave.
6. While in Falcon's cabin after the fight on deck, what does Ngonyama tell the rest of the Allmuseri?
(a) They are free men.
(b) They must befriend the rest of the crew in order to get home.
(c) They must hunt down and kill the rest of the crew.
(d) They are not free men yet.
7. When Baleka comes to check on Rutherford, what does he notice about how she displays feelings?
(a) She wears them on her sleeve.
(b) She never displays them to anyone.
(c) She expresses them very melodramatically.
(d) She displays them very cautiously.
8. What does Rutherford admit about his own physical condition?
(a) He is in perfect health.
(b) He is near death.
(c) He is worse off than the rest of the passengers.
(d) He is in no better shape than most of the other passengers.
9. What crime does Squibb get caught committing on board the ship?
(a) Stealing from the children's rations.
(b) Planning another mutiny.
(c) Stealing from Rutherford.
(d) Stealing alcohol from the medical supplies.
10. When Rutherford goes back up on deck after evaluating Baleka, which direction does he notice Ngonyama looking toward?
(a) The bow (front) of the boat.
(c) The stern (back) of the boat.
(d) New Orleans.
11. After his conversation with Falcon, what does Rutherford see?
(a) Squibb and his parrot, both drunk.
(b) Ngonyama, eavesdropping on the conversation.
(c) Meadows, imitating Rutherford's voice and habits.
(d) Meadows, imitating Falcon's voice and habits.
12. When the mate named Fletcher comes into the meeting room, what news does he have for the mutineers?
(a) Everything is in place and the mutiny can start whenever the men are ready.
(b) The slaves have escaped and are revolting.
(c) The captain's men have caught wind of the mutiny and have abandoned ship.
(d) The captain's men have caught wind of the mutiny and have begun killing the crew.
13. In what way, according to Rutherford, do the Allmuseri greet visitors to their village that is often misunderstood?
(a) By throwing water on them.
(b) By spitting at their feet.
(c) By throwing dirt on them.
(d) By spitting at their faces.
14. When Ngonyama comes to bring Rutherford back on deck after the storm begins, how many passengers does Ngonyama tell Rutherford remain?
15. What does the crew realize their only hope for survival is?
(a) The ship that has been sighted nearby.
(b) The Allmuseri god.
(d) The land that has been sighted.
Short Answer Questions
1. About whom does Rutherford find himself thinking as he writes in the ship's log?
2. When Rutherford encounters Falcon in the passageway after one of Falcon's booby traps goes off, what emotion does he hear in Falcon's voice?
3. Where does Cringle send Rutherford to discuss the mutiny plans?
4. What is Reverend Chandler's reaction to being told that Rutherford is present at his deathbed?
5. What does Rutherford's father, Riley, like to do after a long day of working?
This section contains 660 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)