|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Isadora's terms leave Rutherford so afraid that he is afflicted for several hours with bouts of _________________.
2. When McGaffin notices the ring that Rutherford is wearing, how does Rutherford say he got it from Captain Falcon?
(a) He says he bought it off the captain.
(b) He says it was a gift.
(c) He says the captain dropped it and he picked it up.
(d) He says he stole it.
3. After talking with Isadora and Mr. Zeringue, where does Rutherford go that turns out to be filled with sailors?
(a) A restaurant.
(b) A pub.
(c) A store.
(d) The docks.
4. How does Tommy wind up being the first to try to look at the mysterious cargo inside the crate?
(a) He loses at a game of dice.
(b) He is the youngest crew member.
(c) He wins a game of poker.
(d) He draws the shortest straw.
5. Who is appointed captain once Falcon is out of the way?
6. What does Captain Falcon catch Rutherford doing one night?
(a) Rummaging through the galley.
(b) Stealing from the rest of the crew.
(c) Stealing from the liquor stash.
(d) Rummaging through his cabin.
7. About whom does Rutherford want to learn more?
(b) Tommy, the cabin boy.
(d) Captain Falcon.
8. Why doesn't Rutherford hear Captain Falcon come into the room?
(a) He is deaf.
(b) He is asleep.
(c) He is absorbed in reading.
(d) He is engrossed with looking out the window.
9. Rutherford befriends an Allmuseri woman and a young girl named Baleka. What relationship is Baleka to the Allmuseri woman?
10. Why does Squibb walk with a limp?
(a) He has a metal rod in his leg.
(b) He has a metal rod in his foot.
(c) He has a partially amputated foot.
(d) He has a wooden leg.
11. Rutherford realizes the Ngonyama's _____________ is very different from his own.
(a) Depth perception.
(b) Night vision.
(c) Sense of touch.
(d) Hearing sensitivity.
12. What is the name of the Spanish explorer who is the source of the only recorded description of the tribes people the crew will be picking up?
(a) Rafael Garcia.
(b) Garcia Rafael.
(c) Marco Polo.
(d) Marco Garcia.
13. The next time Rutherford talks to Falcon, what does Falcon tell him he plans to do with the Allmuseri once they reach land?
(a) Kill them.
(b) Sell them.
(c) Keep them for himself.
(d) Set them free.
14. Why do the Allmuseri require no medication?
(a) They possess the ability to heal themselves.
(b) They are immune to all diseases.
(c) They rely entirely on natural remedies.
(d) They are resistant to all medications.
15. What is Isadora's career?
(c) Tarot reader.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Rutherford say New Orleans women always smell like?
2. Captain Ebenezer Falcon has a reputation for being:
3. How many lines of a book had Captain Falcon taught himself to read at once?
4. Falcon tells Rutherford that it is his bet Rutherford will be ________________ by the time the ship returns to New Orleans.
5. What percentage was Captain Falcon set to receive of the cargo's value?
This section contains 500 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)