|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Approximately long will the ship's journey take?
(a) Three years.
(b) Three decades.
(c) Three weeks.
(d) Three months.
2. Why does Squibb walk with a limp?
(a) He has a metal rod in his leg.
(b) He has a metal rod in his foot.
(c) He has a wooden leg.
(d) He has a partially amputated foot.
3. Falcon tells Rutherford that it is his bet Rutherford will be ________________ by the time the ship returns to New Orleans.
(a) A man's man.
(c) A ship's officer.
(d) A slave.
4. At the beginning of Entry 2, what does Rutherford say wakes him up?
(a) A knife pressed against his stomach.
(b) A pistol pressed against his head.
(c) A knife pressed against his neck.
(d) A pistol pressed against his stomach.
5. When the Republic begins its return trip to New Orleans, what does it encounter?
(a) Rough water and bad weather.
(c) Calm water and no wind.
(d) Sea monsters.
6. Captain Falcon tells Rutherford that the cargo they will pick up at Bangalang includes forty ______________ tribes people.
7. Isadora warns Rutherford that he is not _________.
8. When McGaffin notices the ring that Rutherford is wearing, how does Rutherford say he got it from Captain Falcon?
(a) He says it was a gift.
(b) He says he bought it off the captain.
(c) He says the captain dropped it and he picked it up.
(d) He says he stole it.
9. What, according to Rutherford, is the first duty of the sailors on board the Republic?
(a) Obey the captain.
(b) Stay drunk.
(c) Keep the ship afloat at all costs.
(d) Stay out of Squibb's way.
10. How many bullet holes does Captain Falcon's door have in it?
11. What position does Peter Cringle hold aboard the Republic?
(a) First mate and quartermaster.
(c) First mate.
12. What effect does Rutherford say the written form of the Allmuseri language has on him?
(a) It relaxes him.
(b) It confuses him.
(c) It makes him anxious.
(d) It angers him.
13. Captain Falcon's ship is going to Bangalang, located on the coast of which country?
14. What has destroyed the Allmuseri village?
(d) The slave trade.
15. After talking with Isadora and Mr. Zeringue, where does Rutherford go that turns out to be filled with sailors?
(a) A store.
(b) A restaurant.
(c) The docks.
(d) A pub.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Isadora's career?
2. How many slaves is Ngonyama put in charge of?
3. What does Cringle tell Rutherford that Falcon watches for in each crew member?
4. Captain Falcon asks Rutherford to be his ____________ around the crew.
5. Who does Cringle tell Rutherford is already aboard the ship when Rutherford presents his (stolen) work papers?
This section contains 456 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)