|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The next time Rutherford talks to Falcon, what does Falcon tell him he plans to do with the Allmuseri once they reach land?
(a) Keep them for himself.
(b) Set them free.
(c) Sell them.
(d) Kill them.
2. Where did freedman Rutherford Calhoun work when he was a slave?
(a) In the corn fields.
(b) In the gardens.
(c) In the cotton fields.
(d) As a house slave.
3. What was the profession of Captain Falcon's father?
4. After talking with Isadora and Mr. Zeringue, where does Rutherford go that turns out to be filled with sailors?
(a) The docks.
(b) A pub.
(c) A restaurant.
(d) A store.
5. The crew seems to spend most of their time at sea:
(b) Getting drunk.
(c) Complaining about the lack of cleanliness.
(d) Attempting to repair the ship.
6. Approximately long will the ship's journey take?
(a) Three decades.
(b) Three weeks.
(c) Three years.
(d) Three months.
7. What effect does Rutherford say the written form of the Allmuseri language has on him?
(a) It relaxes him.
(b) It makes him anxious.
(c) It angers him.
(d) It confuses him.
8. During the storm encountered by the Republic, who is among those swept out to sea?
(a) Baleka's father.
(c) Baleka's mother.
(d) Baleka's aunt.
9. Captain Ebenezer Falcon has a reputation for being:
10. What ability does Ngonyama have?
(a) To become invisible.
(b) To walk through walls.
(c) To fade into the background.
(d) To negotiate even the hardest situations.
11. What is another name for the crew's sleeping quarters, according to Rutherford's entry?
(a) Berthing area.
12. What is the name of the sailor Rutherford meets?
13. When the Republic begins its return trip to New Orleans, what does it encounter?
(b) Calm water and no wind.
(c) Rough water and bad weather.
(d) Sea monsters.
14. Rutherford realizes the Ngonyama's _____________ is very different from his own.
(a) Hearing sensitivity.
(b) Night vision.
(c) Sense of touch.
(d) Depth perception.
15. How many slaves is Ngonyama put in charge of?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Cringle tell Rutherford that Falcon watches for in each crew member?
2. When is the only time Cringle seems to relax?
3. What does Rutherford say New Orleans women always smell like?
4. The sailor that Rutherford meets in Entry 1 is taking the position of ____________ aboard Captain Falcon's ship.
5. While in New Orleans, where does Rutherford like to hang out?
This section contains 420 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)