|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How much does Mr. Zeringue tell Rutherford he owes him?
(a) Fifty thousand francs.
(b) Fifty thousand pounds.
(c) Fifty thousand dollars.
(d) Fifty thousand sovereigns.
2. The crew seems to spend most of their time at sea:
(a) Complaining about the lack of cleanliness.
(b) Attempting to repair the ship.
(d) Getting drunk.
3. According to Rutherford, what are Falcon's legs shorter than?
(a) His dining table.
(b) His captain's chair.
(c) His chart table.
(d) His bed.
4. How much pay does Falcon offer Rutherford (an offer that Rutherford accepts) to remain part of the crew?
(a) Ten percent of the earnings.
(b) Twenty-five percent of the earnings.
(c) Five percent of the earnings.
5. What, according to Rutherford, is the first duty of the sailors on board the Republic?
(a) Obey the captain.
(b) Stay drunk.
(c) Keep the ship afloat at all costs.
(d) Stay out of Squibb's way.
6. Who is appointed captain once Falcon is out of the way?
7. After the storm passes, what about Ngonyama sets him apart from all the others on board the ship?
(a) He is completely dry.
(b) He is naked.
(c) He is encased in ice.
(d) He is wearing a life jacket.
8. During the storm encountered by the Republic, who is among those swept out to sea?
(a) Baleka's aunt.
(c) Baleka's father.
(d) Baleka's mother.
9. What was the profession of Captain Falcon's father?
10. What does Captain Falcon tell Rutherford he has been teased about since he was a boy?
(a) His protruding belly.
(b) His limp.
(c) His small size.
(d) His voice.
11. What does Cringle tell Rutherford about seeing and hearing the cabin boy in Falcon's quarters?
(a) He says nothing to Rutherford about it.
(b) He tells Rutherford not to speak of it to anyone.
(c) He tells Rutherford to tell anyone who will listen.
(d) He tells Rutherford that he wants to kill Falcon over it.
12. What does Captain Falcon catch Rutherford doing one night?
(a) Stealing from the liquor stash.
(b) Rummaging through his cabin.
(c) Rummaging through the galley.
(d) Stealing from the rest of the crew.
13. Captain Falcon asks Rutherford to be his ____________ around the crew.
(a) Eyes and ears.
(b) Ears and eyes.
(c) Hands and feet.
(d) Heart and soul.
14. What is Isadora's career?
(c) Tarot reader.
15. How does Rutherford describe Nathaniel Meadows?
(a) Extremely handsome and arrogant.
(b) Severely disfigured and arrogant.
(c) Extremely handsome and meek.
(d) Somewhat disfigured and meek.
Short Answer Questions
1. After talking with Isadora and Mr. Zeringue, where does Rutherford go that turns out to be filled with sailors?
2. What is Tommy no longer able to do after he tries to look at the cargo?
3. What effect does Rutherford say the written form of the Allmuseri language has on him?
4. Captain Falcon tells Rutherford that the cargo they will pick up at Bangalang includes forty ______________ tribes people.
5. What does Rutherford eventually take up as a career?
This section contains 487 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)