|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does the explorer now reside?
(a) In an institution for the insane in Havana.
(b) In a plantation in New Orleans.
(c) In a temple in Bangalang.
(d) In a hacienda in Madrid.
2. What prophecy of Reverend Chandler about him does Rutherford say comes true in Entry 3?
(a) He becomes a murderer.
(b) He becomes a man's man.
(c) He becomes a pirate.
(d) He becomes a thief.
3. After talking with Isadora and Mr. Zeringue, where does Rutherford go that turns out to be filled with sailors?
(a) A restaurant.
(b) A pub.
(c) A store.
(d) The docks.
4. What does Captain Falcon consider himself?
(a) A genius.
5. Why doesn't Rutherford hear Captain Falcon come into the room?
(a) He is absorbed in reading.
(b) He is asleep.
(c) He is engrossed with looking out the window.
(d) He is deaf.
6. What does Cringle tell Rutherford about seeing and hearing the cabin boy in Falcon's quarters?
(a) He tells Rutherford not to speak of it to anyone.
(b) He tells Rutherford to tell anyone who will listen.
(c) He says nothing to Rutherford about it.
(d) He tells Rutherford that he wants to kill Falcon over it.
7. What is Mr. Zeringue?
(a) The town benefactor.
(b) The town gangster.
(c) The town financier.
(d) The town's wealthiest businessman.
8. What does Rutherford eventually take up as a career?
9. Who is "Papa"?
(a) Captain Falcon.
(b) Mr. Zeringue.
(c) Reverend Chandler.
10. Approximately long will the ship's journey take?
(a) Three years.
(b) Three decades.
(c) Three weeks.
(d) Three months.
11. During the storm encountered by the Republic, who is among those swept out to sea?
(a) Baleka's aunt.
(b) Baleka's mother.
(c) Baleka's father.
12. What is the name of the sailor Rutherford meets?
13. After the cargo is brought on board, what does Captain Falcon put Rutherford in charge of?
(a) Guarding the ivory and gold.
(b) Feeding the Allmuseri.
(c) Feeding the goats.
(d) Feeding the sheep.
14. What is the name of the Spanish explorer who is the source of the only recorded description of the tribes people the crew will be picking up?
(a) Marco Polo.
(b) Rafael Garcia.
(c) Garcia Rafael.
(d) Marco Garcia.
15. What did Reverend Chandler, Rutherford's master, try to teach him while he was growing up on the plantation?
(a) Biblical virtues.
(b) Financial prudence and honesty.
(d) Penmanship and Biblical virtues.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Tommy stay for the rest of the voyage to New Orleans?
2. What percentage was Captain Falcon set to receive of the cargo's value?
3. How old does Squibb tell Rutherford he is?
4. How many lines of a book had Captain Falcon taught himself to read at once?
5. What is Captain Falcon's opinion of the war against England?
This section contains 473 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)