|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The next time Rutherford talks to Falcon, what does Falcon tell him he plans to do with the Allmuseri once they reach land?
(a) Keep them for himself.
(b) Set them free.
(c) Kill them.
(d) Sell them.
2. When he arrives in New Orleans, where does Rutherford try, but fail, to find work?
(b) Salons and negro bars.
(c) Negro bars.
(d) Restaurants and the shipyard..
3. To whom does Rutherford tell a sob story?
(a) Tommy, the cabin boy.
(d) Captain Falcon.
4. Rutherford befriends an Allmuseri woman and a young girl named Baleka. What relationship is Baleka to the Allmuseri woman?
5. After talking with Isadora and Mr. Zeringue, where does Rutherford go that turns out to be filled with sailors?
(a) A pub.
(b) The docks.
(c) A store.
(d) A restaurant.
6. How many bullet holes does Captain Falcon's door have in it?
7. Why doesn't Rutherford hear Captain Falcon come into the room?
(a) He is asleep.
(b) He is deaf.
(c) He is engrossed with looking out the window.
(d) He is absorbed in reading.
8. What position does Peter Cringle hold aboard the Republic?
(b) First mate.
(d) First mate and quartermaster.
9. How does Tommy wind up being the first to try to look at the mysterious cargo inside the crate?
(a) He wins a game of poker.
(b) He draws the shortest straw.
(c) He is the youngest crew member.
(d) He loses at a game of dice.
10. What ability does Ngonyama have?
(a) To become invisible.
(b) To walk through walls.
(c) To fade into the background.
(d) To negotiate even the hardest situations.
11. When Rutherford sees the Allmuseri, what tribe does he describe them as taller than?
12. According to Rutherford, what are Falcon's legs shorter than?
(a) His bed.
(b) His chart table.
(c) His dining table.
(d) His captain's chair.
13. Who is appointed captain once Falcon is out of the way?
14. What activates the safety on the pistol that Falcon gives Rutherford?
(a) A magnetized earring.
(b) A magnetized ring.
(c) The pistol has no safety.
(d) A button just above the trigger.
15. What is Isadora's career?
(a) Tarot reader.
Short Answer Questions
1. In describing the Allmuseri language, Rutherford says the sounds they produce are like:
2. Captain Falcon tells Rutherford that the cargo they will pick up at Bangalang includes forty ______________ tribes people.
3. What does Captain Falcon catch Rutherford doing one night?
4. What does Isadora tell Rutherford he should do instead of constantly getting drunk?
5. Captain Ebenezer Falcon has a reputation for being:
This section contains 472 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)