|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In the Allmuseri language, what part of speech is used instead of nouns?
2. Isadora's terms leave Rutherford so afraid that he is afflicted for several hours with bouts of _________________.
3. What does Cringle tell Rutherford about seeing and hearing the cabin boy in Falcon's quarters?
(a) He tells Rutherford that he wants to kill Falcon over it.
(b) He tells Rutherford to tell anyone who will listen.
(c) He tells Rutherford not to speak of it to anyone.
(d) He says nothing to Rutherford about it.
4. What has destroyed the Allmuseri village?
(d) The slave trade.
5. Where did freedman Rutherford Calhoun work when he was a slave?
(a) In the cotton fields.
(b) As a house slave.
(c) In the gardens.
(d) In the corn fields.
6. What is Captain Falcon's opinion of the war against England?
(a) Stupid, but masterfully executed.
(b) Stupid and full of military mistakes.
(c) Brilliantly planned and masterfully executed.
(d) Brilliantly planned, but full of military mistakes.
7. What does Cringle tell Rutherford that Falcon watches for in each crew member?
(b) A strength.
(d) A weakness.
8. Where does the explorer now reside?
(a) In a hacienda in Madrid.
(b) In a temple in Bangalang.
(c) In a plantation in New Orleans.
(d) In an institution for the insane in Havana.
9. What is the total value of the ship's entire cargo?
10. What, according to Rutherford, is the first duty of the sailors on board the Republic?
(a) Obey the captain.
(b) Stay out of Squibb's way.
(c) Keep the ship afloat at all costs.
(d) Stay drunk.
11. How many lines of a book had Captain Falcon taught himself to read at once?
12. Rutherford befriends an Allmuseri woman and a young girl named Baleka. What relationship is Baleka to the Allmuseri woman?
13. Why does Squibb walk with a limp?
(a) He has a wooden leg.
(b) He has a metal rod in his leg.
(c) He has a metal rod in his foot.
(d) He has a partially amputated foot.
14. During his sob story, how did Rutherford say his mother had died?
(a) In childbirth, giving birth to his baby sister.
(b) Of disease, during passage from Africa.
(c) Of overwork, in the fields of Illinois.
(d) In bed, of old age.
15. In describing the Allmuseri language, Rutherford says the sounds they produce are like:
(a) The sound of birds chattering at dawn.
(b) Deep, melodious breaths.
(c) The rush of wind through the trees.
(d) Nails on a chalkboard.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Mr. Zeringue?
2. Captain Ebenezer Falcon has a reputation for being:
3. How much does Mr. Zeringue tell Rutherford he owes him?
4. When Rutherford sees the Allmuseri, what tribe does he describe them as taller than?
5. What activates the safety on the pistol that Falcon gives Rutherford?
This section contains 495 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)