|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What, according to Rutherford, is the first duty of the sailors on board the Republic?
(a) Stay drunk.
(b) Obey the captain.
(c) Stay out of Squibb's way.
(d) Keep the ship afloat at all costs.
2. What is the total value of the ship's entire cargo?
3. Isadora's terms leave Rutherford so afraid that he is afflicted for several hours with bouts of _________________.
4. Captain Falcon asks Rutherford to be his ____________ around the crew.
(a) Hands and feet.
(b) Eyes and ears.
(c) Heart and soul.
(d) Ears and eyes.
5. Rutherford warns the reader not to be too ________________ his way of life.
(a) Judgmental of.
(b) Disgusted by.
(c) Critical of.
(d) Angered by.
6. How many lines of a book had Captain Falcon taught himself to read at once?
7. Which crew member does Cringle tell Rutherford to stay away from?
(a) Nathaniel Meadows.
(c) Captain Falcon.
8. After talking with Isadora and Mr. Zeringue, where does Rutherford go that turns out to be filled with sailors?
(a) The docks.
(b) A pub.
(c) A store.
(d) A restaurant.
9. In the Allmuseri language, what part of speech is used instead of nouns?
10. What does Cringle tell Rutherford that Falcon watches for in each crew member?
(a) A strength.
(b) A weakness.
11. What is Mr. Zeringue?
(a) The town financier.
(b) The town's wealthiest businessman.
(c) The town gangster.
(d) The town benefactor.
12. What is Captain Falcon's opinion of the war against England?
(a) Brilliantly planned, but full of military mistakes.
(b) Brilliantly planned and masterfully executed.
(c) Stupid and full of military mistakes.
(d) Stupid, but masterfully executed.
13. When carving a pig, how does Rutherford describe the way Ngonyama handles the knife?
(a) He moves as if the knife were one with his hand.
(b) He moves as if the knife were dull.
(c) He moves as if the knife were razor sharp.
(d) He moves as if he has never seen a knife before.
14. How does Rutherford describe himself as having felt on board?
15. When Rutherford sees the Allmuseri, what tribe does he describe them as taller than?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is appointed captain once Falcon is out of the way?
2. Where does Tommy stay for the rest of the voyage to New Orleans?
3. After the cargo is brought on board, what does Captain Falcon put Rutherford in charge of?
4. Who does Cringle tell Rutherford is already aboard the ship when Rutherford presents his (stolen) work papers?
5. After Rutherford's new friend passes out from alcohol, what does Rutherford do?
This section contains 485 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)