|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Squibb walk with a limp?
(a) He has a metal rod in his foot.
(b) He has a partially amputated foot.
(c) He has a wooden leg.
(d) He has a metal rod in his leg.
2. To whom does Rutherford tell a sob story?
(b) Captain Falcon.
(c) Tommy, the cabin boy.
3. When is the only time Cringle seems to relax?
(a) When he is alone on watch.
(b) When he is sleeping.
(c) When he is alone on watch or reading.
(d) When he is with others.
4. The crew seems to spend most of their time at sea:
(a) Attempting to repair the ship.
(b) Getting drunk.
(d) Complaining about the lack of cleanliness.
5. When Rutherford sees the Allmuseri, what tribe does he describe them as taller than?
6. Why do the Allmuseri require no medication?
(a) They are immune to all diseases.
(b) They are resistant to all medications.
(c) They rely entirely on natural remedies.
(d) They possess the ability to heal themselves.
7. How many lines of a book had Captain Falcon taught himself to read at once?
8. After Rutherford's new friend passes out from alcohol, what does Rutherford do?
(a) Goes home and prepares for his wedding.
(b) Boards the ship as a stowaway.
(c) Steals the man's work papers and boards the ship as him.
(d) Steals the man's work papers and uses his identity to start a new life in Alabama.
9. When he arrives in New Orleans, where does Rutherford try, but fail, to find work?
(b) Negro bars.
(c) Restaurants and the shipyard..
(d) Salons and negro bars.
10. Who does Cringle tell Rutherford is already aboard the ship when Rutherford presents his (stolen) work papers?
(c) Captain Falcon.
11. What position does Peter Cringle hold aboard the Republic?
(a) First mate and quartermaster.
(b) First mate.
12. Falcon tells Rutherford that it is his bet Rutherford will be ________________ by the time the ship returns to New Orleans.
(a) A ship's officer.
(b) A man's man.
(c) A slave.
13. Isadora's terms leave Rutherford so afraid that he is afflicted for several hours with bouts of _________________.
14. What is Tommy no longer able to do after he tries to look at the cargo?
15. Why doesn't Rutherford hear Captain Falcon come into the room?
(a) He is absorbed in reading.
(b) He is engrossed with looking out the window.
(c) He is asleep.
(d) He is deaf.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is another name for the crew's sleeping quarters, according to Rutherford's entry?
2. Cringle's correct speech is taken as ________, and the captain interprets his sensitivity as ___________.
3. What does Captain Falcon tell Rutherford he has been teased about since he was a boy?
4. What prophecy of Reverend Chandler about him does Rutherford say comes true in Entry 3?
5. What is Mr. Zeringue?
This section contains 504 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)