|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the name of the sailor Rutherford meets?
2. The crew seems to spend most of their time at sea:
(b) Attempting to repair the ship.
(c) Getting drunk.
(d) Complaining about the lack of cleanliness.
3. What has destroyed the Allmuseri village?
(c) The slave trade.
4. How much water do the Allmuseri have in the hold where they are they are kept?
(a) Six inches.
(b) Two feet.
(c) An inch.
(d) A foot.
5. What is the main thing that Rutherford notices about the Republic?
(a) The absence of civility and manners.
(b) The stench and filthiness below deck.
(c) The lack of proper safety equipment.
(d) The absence of women.
6. What did Reverend Chandler, Rutherford's master, try to teach him while he was growing up on the plantation?
(b) Financial prudence and honesty.
(c) Biblical virtues.
(d) Penmanship and Biblical virtues.
7. Captain Falcon asks Rutherford to be his ____________ around the crew.
(a) Eyes and ears.
(b) Heart and soul.
(c) Ears and eyes.
(d) Hands and feet.
8. How does Tommy wind up being the first to try to look at the mysterious cargo inside the crate?
(a) He is the youngest crew member.
(b) He draws the shortest straw.
(c) He loses at a game of dice.
(d) He wins a game of poker.
9. During the storm encountered by the Republic, who is among those swept out to sea?
(a) Baleka's mother.
(c) Baleka's aunt.
(d) Baleka's father.
10. What is Mr. Zeringue?
(a) The town's wealthiest businessman.
(b) The town financier.
(c) The town benefactor.
(d) The town gangster.
11. How does Rutherford assume Falcon obtained the souvenirs in his cabin?
(a) Through diplomacy.
(b) In gift shops.
(c) Through raids and murders.
(d) Through barter and trade.
12. When the Republic begins its return trip to New Orleans, what does it encounter?
(a) Calm water and no wind.
(b) Rough water and bad weather.
(c) Sea monsters.
13. When is the only time Cringle seems to relax?
(a) When he is alone on watch or reading.
(b) When he is alone on watch.
(c) When he is sleeping.
(d) When he is with others.
14. Why does Squibb walk with a limp?
(a) He has a partially amputated foot.
(b) He has a wooden leg.
(c) He has a metal rod in his foot.
(d) He has a metal rod in his leg.
15. What does Captain Falcon consider himself?
(d) A genius.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did freedman Rutherford Calhoun work when he was a slave?
2. To whom does Rutherford tell a sob story?
3. The sailor that Rutherford meets in Entry 1 is taking the position of ____________ aboard Captain Falcon's ship.
4. What is the name of the Spanish explorer who is the source of the only recorded description of the tribes people the crew will be picking up?
5. What was the profession of Captain Falcon's father?
This section contains 478 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)