|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Isadora's career?
(a) Tarot reader.
2. Why does Squibb walk with a limp?
(a) He has a partially amputated foot.
(b) He has a metal rod in his leg.
(c) He has a wooden leg.
(d) He has a metal rod in his foot.
3. What is another name for the crew's sleeping quarters, according to Rutherford's entry?
(a) Berthing area.
4. Rutherford realizes the Ngonyama's _____________ is very different from his own.
(a) Night vision.
(b) Depth perception.
(c) Hearing sensitivity.
(d) Sense of touch.
5. What does Rutherford say New Orleans women always smell like?
6. In describing the Allmuseri language, Rutherford says the sounds they produce are like:
(a) Nails on a chalkboard.
(b) The sound of birds chattering at dawn.
(c) Deep, melodious breaths.
(d) The rush of wind through the trees.
7. After the cargo is brought on board, what does Captain Falcon put Rutherford in charge of?
(a) Feeding the sheep.
(b) Feeding the Allmuseri.
(c) Feeding the goats.
(d) Guarding the ivory and gold.
8. Isadora agrees to pay off Rutherford's debt if he agrees to what?
(a) Work aboard the Republic.
(b) Kill Mr. Zeringue.
(c) Kill Santos.
(d) Marry her the next day.
9. Approximately long will the ship's journey take?
(a) Three months.
(b) Three decades.
(c) Three years.
(d) Three weeks.
10. What is the name of the Spanish explorer who is the source of the only recorded description of the tribes people the crew will be picking up?
(a) Marco Polo.
(b) Marco Garcia.
(c) Garcia Rafael.
(d) Rafael Garcia.
11. At the beginning of Entry 2, what does Rutherford say wakes him up?
(a) A pistol pressed against his head.
(b) A knife pressed against his neck.
(c) A pistol pressed against his stomach.
(d) A knife pressed against his stomach.
12. When the Republic begins its return trip to New Orleans, what does it encounter?
(a) Calm water and no wind.
(b) Rough water and bad weather.
(c) Sea monsters.
13. Who is appointed captain once Falcon is out of the way?
14. During the storm encountered by the Republic, who is among those swept out to sea?
(a) Baleka's aunt.
(b) Baleka's father.
(c) Baleka's mother.
15. Why do the Allmuseri require no medication?
(a) They rely entirely on natural remedies.
(b) They are immune to all diseases.
(c) They possess the ability to heal themselves.
(d) They are resistant to all medications.
Short Answer Questions
1. After Rutherford's new friend passes out from alcohol, what does Rutherford do?
2. Where did freedman Rutherford Calhoun work when he was a slave?
3. What ability does Ngonyama have?
4. When Rutherford sees the Allmuseri, what tribe does he describe them as taller than?
5. What does Cringle tell Rutherford about seeing and hearing the cabin boy in Falcon's quarters?
This section contains 537 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)