|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How much does Mr. Zeringue tell Rutherford he owes him?
(a) Fifty thousand pounds.
(b) Fifty thousand francs.
(c) Fifty thousand dollars.
(d) Fifty thousand sovereigns.
2. The name of the ship on which Rutherford's new acquaintance is sailing is:
(a) The Federalist>.
(b) The Juno.
(c) The Republic.
(d) The Black Pearl.
3. What is Mr. Zeringue?
(a) The town benefactor.
(b) The town gangster.
(c) The town's wealthiest businessman.
(d) The town financier.
4. After talking with Isadora and Mr. Zeringue, where does Rutherford go that turns out to be filled with sailors?
(a) The docks.
(b) A store.
(c) A pub.
(d) A restaurant.
5. While in New Orleans, where does Rutherford like to hang out?
(a) The marina.
(b) The French Quarter.
(c) The waterfront.
(d) The bar.
6. What does Rutherford eventually take up as a career?
7. The sailor that Rutherford meets in Entry 1 is taking the position of ____________ aboard Captain Falcon's ship.
(a) First Mate.
8. How many lines of a book had Captain Falcon taught himself to read at once?
9. After the storm passes, what about Ngonyama sets him apart from all the others on board the ship?
(a) He is completely dry.
(b) He is naked.
(c) He is wearing a life jacket.
(d) He is encased in ice.
10. During his sob story, how did Rutherford say his mother had died?
(a) In childbirth, giving birth to his baby sister.
(b) In bed, of old age.
(c) Of disease, during passage from Africa.
(d) Of overwork, in the fields of Illinois.
11. When he arrives in New Orleans, where does Rutherford try, but fail, to find work?
(b) Salons and negro bars.
(c) Negro bars.
(d) Restaurants and the shipyard..
12. When carving a pig, how does Rutherford describe the way Ngonyama handles the knife?
(a) He moves as if the knife were razor sharp.
(b) He moves as if the knife were one with his hand.
(c) He moves as if the knife were dull.
(d) He moves as if he has never seen a knife before.
13. Why does Squibb walk with a limp?
(a) He has a partially amputated foot.
(b) He has a wooden leg.
(c) He has a metal rod in his leg.
(d) He has a metal rod in his foot.
14. What does Captain Falcon catch Rutherford doing one night?
(a) Rummaging through his cabin.
(b) Stealing from the liquor stash.
(c) Rummaging through the galley.
(d) Stealing from the rest of the crew.
15. What is Captain Falcon's opinion of the war against England?
(a) Stupid and full of military mistakes.
(b) Brilliantly planned and masterfully executed.
(c) Stupid, but masterfully executed.
(d) Brilliantly planned, but full of military mistakes.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Rutherford say New Orleans women always smell like?
2. What is Tommy no longer able to do after he tries to look at the cargo?
3. What is the term used for the toilet?
4. What is the name of the Spanish explorer who is the source of the only recorded description of the tribes people the crew will be picking up?
5. Cringle's correct speech is taken as ________, and the captain interprets his sensitivity as ___________.
This section contains 512 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)