Mid-Book Test - Easy
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How old does Squibb tell Rutherford he is?
(d) He is unsure of his age.
2. Where did freedman Rutherford Calhoun work when he was a slave?
(a) In the gardens.
(b) In the corn fields.
(c) In the cotton fields.
(d) As a house slave.
3. What percentage was Captain Falcon set to receive of the cargo's value?
4. Isadora's terms leave Rutherford so afraid that he is afflicted for several hours with bouts of _________________.
5. When McGaffin notices the ring that Rutherford is wearing, how does Rutherford say he got it from Captain Falcon?
(a) He says the captain dropped it and he picked it up.
(b) He says he bought it off the captain.
(c) He says he stole it.
(d) He says it was a gift.
6. What is the main thing that Rutherford notices about the Republic?
(a) The absence of women.
(b) The absence of civility and manners.
(c) The lack of proper safety equipment.
(d) The stench and filthiness below deck.
7. Falcon tells Rutherford that it is his bet Rutherford will be ________________ by the time the ship returns to New Orleans.
(a) A slave.
(b) A ship's officer.
(c) A man's man.
8. How does Rutherford assume Falcon obtained the souvenirs in his cabin?
(a) Through barter and trade.
(b) In gift shops.
(c) Through raids and murders.
(d) Through diplomacy.
9. How many slaves is Ngonyama put in charge of?
10. What is Tommy no longer able to do after he tries to look at the cargo?
11. Isadora agrees to pay off Rutherford's debt if he agrees to what?
(a) Kill Santos.
(b) Kill Mr. Zeringue.
(c) Marry her the next day.
(d) Work aboard the Republic.
12. Why doesn't Rutherford hear Captain Falcon come into the room?
(a) He is engrossed with looking out the window.
(b) He is absorbed in reading.
(c) He is asleep.
(d) He is deaf.
13. Which crew member does Cringle tell Rutherford to stay away from?
(a) Captain Falcon.
(d) Nathaniel Meadows.
14. To whom does Rutherford tell a sob story?
(a) Tommy, the cabin boy.
(c) Captain Falcon.
15. Rutherford befriends an Allmuseri woman and a young girl named Baleka. What relationship is Baleka to the Allmuseri woman?
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Rutherford, what are Falcon's legs shorter than?
2. What is the name of the black man who brings Rutherford to Mr. Zeringue?
3. When the Republic begins its return trip to New Orleans, what does it encounter?
4. Where does the explorer now reside?
5. After the cargo is brought on board, what does Captain Falcon put Rutherford in charge of?
This section contains 479 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)