|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In the Allmuseri language, what part of speech is used instead of nouns?
2. After talking with Isadora and Mr. Zeringue, where does Rutherford go that turns out to be filled with sailors?
(a) A pub.
(b) A restaurant.
(c) A store.
(d) The docks.
3. Where does Tommy stay for the rest of the voyage to New Orleans?
(a) In the cargo hold with the creature.
(b) His hammock in the orlop.
(c) Cringle's cabin.
(d) Falcon's cabin.
4. What does Captain Falcon consider himself?
(a) A genius.
5. Why doesn't Rutherford hear Captain Falcon come into the room?
(a) He is deaf.
(b) He is asleep.
(c) He is absorbed in reading.
(d) He is engrossed with looking out the window.
6. What is the main thing that Rutherford notices about the Republic?
(a) The absence of women.
(b) The absence of civility and manners.
(c) The stench and filthiness below deck.
(d) The lack of proper safety equipment.
7. What has destroyed the Allmuseri village?
(c) The slave trade.
8. What is the term used for the toilet?
(d) Honey bucket.
9. Rutherford warns the reader not to be too ________________ his way of life.
(a) Disgusted by.
(b) Critical of.
(c) Judgmental of.
(d) Angered by.
10. How old does Squibb tell Rutherford he is?
(b) He is unsure of his age.
11. In describing the Allmuseri language, Rutherford says the sounds they produce are like:
(a) Nails on a chalkboard.
(b) Deep, melodious breaths.
(c) The rush of wind through the trees.
(d) The sound of birds chattering at dawn.
12. What prophecy of Reverend Chandler about him does Rutherford say comes true in Entry 3?
(a) He becomes a murderer.
(b) He becomes a pirate.
(c) He becomes a man's man.
(d) He becomes a thief.
13. What is the name of the Spanish explorer who is the source of the only recorded description of the tribes people the crew will be picking up?
(a) Rafael Garcia.
(b) Marco Polo.
(c) Marco Garcia.
(d) Garcia Rafael.
14. Approximately long will the ship's journey take?
(a) Three years.
(b) Three weeks.
(c) Three decades.
(d) Three months.
15. About whom does Rutherford want to learn more?
(a) Tommy, the cabin boy.
(c) Captain Falcon.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many bullet holes does Captain Falcon's door have in it?
2. What does Cringle tell Rutherford about seeing and hearing the cabin boy in Falcon's quarters?
3. What, according to Rutherford, is the first duty of the sailors on board the Republic?
4. After the storm, who stands up to Cringle regarding the poor condition of the ship?
5. How does Rutherford describe Nathaniel Meadows?
This section contains 482 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)