|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What, according to Rutherford, is the first duty of the sailors on board the Republic?
(a) Stay drunk.
(b) Obey the captain.
(c) Stay out of Squibb's way.
(d) Keep the ship afloat at all costs.
2. When is the only time Cringle seems to relax?
(a) When he is sleeping.
(b) When he is alone on watch or reading.
(c) When he is with others.
(d) When he is alone on watch.
3. Why doesn't Rutherford hear Captain Falcon come into the room?
(a) He is deaf.
(b) He is asleep.
(c) He is absorbed in reading.
(d) He is engrossed with looking out the window.
4. Approximately long will the ship's journey take?
(a) Three weeks.
(b) Three decades.
(c) Three years.
(d) Three months.
5. What activates the safety on the pistol that Falcon gives Rutherford?
(a) The pistol has no safety.
(b) A button just above the trigger.
(c) A magnetized ring.
(d) A magnetized earring.
6. How many slaves is Ngonyama put in charge of?
7. What is the main thing that Rutherford notices about the Republic?
(a) The stench and filthiness below deck.
(b) The absence of civility and manners.
(c) The absence of women.
(d) The lack of proper safety equipment.
8. How many days does it take the Republic to travel from New Orleans to Africa?
9. After the cargo is brought on board, what does Captain Falcon put Rutherford in charge of?
(a) Feeding the Allmuseri.
(b) Feeding the sheep.
(c) Guarding the ivory and gold.
(d) Feeding the goats.
10. Who does Cringle tell Rutherford is already aboard the ship when Rutherford presents his (stolen) work papers?
(b) Captain Falcon.
11. How does Tommy wind up being the first to try to look at the mysterious cargo inside the crate?
(a) He loses at a game of dice.
(b) He draws the shortest straw.
(c) He wins a game of poker.
(d) He is the youngest crew member.
12. What is another name for the crew's sleeping quarters, according to Rutherford's entry?
(b) Berthing area.
13. What is Tommy no longer able to do after he tries to look at the cargo?
14. When Rutherford sees the Allmuseri, what tribe does he describe them as taller than?
15. How much does Mr. Zeringue tell Rutherford he owes him?
(a) Fifty thousand francs.
(b) Fifty thousand sovereigns.
(c) Fifty thousand pounds.
(d) Fifty thousand dollars.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Squibb walk with a limp?
2. During the storm encountered by the Republic, who is among those swept out to sea?
3. After the storm passes, what about Ngonyama sets him apart from all the others on board the ship?
4. What was the profession of Captain Falcon's father?
5. What does Captain Falcon tell Rutherford he has been teased about since he was a boy?
This section contains 504 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)