|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Isadora warns Rutherford that he is not _________.
2. What has destroyed the Allmuseri village?
(d) The slave trade.
3. What does Cringle tell Rutherford about seeing and hearing the cabin boy in Falcon's quarters?
(a) He tells Rutherford that he wants to kill Falcon over it.
(b) He says nothing to Rutherford about it.
(c) He tells Rutherford to tell anyone who will listen.
(d) He tells Rutherford not to speak of it to anyone.
4. What is the term used for the toilet?
(b) Honey bucket.
5. How many days does it take the Republic to travel from New Orleans to Africa?
6. What percentage was Captain Falcon set to receive of the cargo's value?
7. What was the profession of Captain Falcon's father?
8. Where does Tommy stay for the rest of the voyage to New Orleans?
(a) Falcon's cabin.
(b) His hammock in the orlop.
(c) Cringle's cabin.
(d) In the cargo hold with the creature.
9. In describing the Allmuseri language, Rutherford says the sounds they produce are like:
(a) Nails on a chalkboard.
(b) The rush of wind through the trees.
(c) Deep, melodious breaths.
(d) The sound of birds chattering at dawn.
10. After the cargo is brought on board, what does Captain Falcon put Rutherford in charge of?
(a) Feeding the goats.
(b) Feeding the Allmuseri.
(c) Feeding the sheep.
(d) Guarding the ivory and gold.
11. Where does the explorer now reside?
(a) In an institution for the insane in Havana.
(b) In a temple in Bangalang.
(c) In a hacienda in Madrid.
(d) In a plantation in New Orleans.
12. At the beginning of Entry 2, what does Rutherford say wakes him up?
(a) A knife pressed against his stomach.
(b) A pistol pressed against his stomach.
(c) A pistol pressed against his head.
(d) A knife pressed against his neck.
13. How old does Squibb tell Rutherford he is?
(b) He is unsure of his age.
14. When the Republic begins its return trip to New Orleans, what does it encounter?
(a) Sea monsters.
(b) Calm water and no wind.
(d) Rough water and bad weather.
15. What does Cringle have a sixth sense about?
Short Answer Questions
1. How many lines of a book had Captain Falcon taught himself to read at once?
2. What is Mr. Zeringue?
3. Rutherford befriends an Allmuseri woman and a young girl named Baleka. What relationship is Baleka to the Allmuseri woman?
4. Why do the Allmuseri require no medication?
5. What, according to Rutherford, is the first duty of the sailors on board the Republic?
This section contains 469 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)