|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Rutherford sees the Allmuseri, what tribe does he describe them as taller than?
2. How does Rutherford describe himself as having felt on board?
3. Where does the explorer now reside?
(a) In a plantation in New Orleans.
(b) In a hacienda in Madrid.
(c) In an institution for the insane in Havana.
(d) In a temple in Bangalang.
4. What does Captain Falcon catch Rutherford doing one night?
(a) Stealing from the rest of the crew.
(b) Rummaging through his cabin.
(c) Stealing from the liquor stash.
(d) Rummaging through the galley.
5. What effect does Rutherford say the written form of the Allmuseri language has on him?
(a) It angers him.
(b) It relaxes him.
(c) It makes him anxious.
(d) It confuses him.
6. Rutherford warns the reader not to be too ________________ his way of life.
(a) Judgmental of.
(b) Critical of.
(c) Angered by.
(d) Disgusted by.
7. When Falcon starts telling Rutherford intimate details about the crew members, how does Rutherford say it makes him feel?
8. Who does Cringle tell Rutherford is already aboard the ship when Rutherford presents his (stolen) work papers?
(a) Captain Falcon.
9. What, according to Rutherford, is the first duty of the sailors on board the Republic?
(a) Keep the ship afloat at all costs.
(b) Stay drunk.
(c) Stay out of Squibb's way.
(d) Obey the captain.
10. What activates the safety on the pistol that Falcon gives Rutherford?
(a) A magnetized earring.
(b) A button just above the trigger.
(c) The pistol has no safety.
(d) A magnetized ring.
11. What is another name for the crew's sleeping quarters, according to Rutherford's entry?
(c) Berthing area.
12. Approximately long will the ship's journey take?
(a) Three decades.
(b) Three weeks.
(c) Three months.
(d) Three years.
13. What is the main thing that Rutherford notices about the Republic?
(a) The lack of proper safety equipment.
(b) The absence of women.
(c) The stench and filthiness below deck.
(d) The absence of civility and manners.
14. What is the name of the sailor Rutherford meets?
15. How many bullet holes does Captain Falcon's door have in it?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Cringle have a sixth sense about?
2. What was the profession of Captain Falcon's father?
3. What does Captain Falcon tell Rutherford he has been teased about since he was a boy?
4. How much pay does Falcon offer Rutherford (an offer that Rutherford accepts) to remain part of the crew?
5. What is the name of the black man who brings Rutherford to Mr. Zeringue?
This section contains 440 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)