|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which crew member does Cringle tell Rutherford to stay away from?
(b) Captain Falcon.
(c) Nathaniel Meadows.
2. What is Tommy no longer able to do after he tries to look at the cargo?
3. When he arrives in New Orleans, where does Rutherford try, but fail, to find work?
(a) Negro bars.
(c) Salons and negro bars.
(d) Restaurants and the shipyard..
4. What is the main thing that Rutherford notices about the Republic?
(a) The absence of women.
(b) The absence of civility and manners.
(c) The stench and filthiness below deck.
(d) The lack of proper safety equipment.
5. What does Cringle have a sixth sense about?
6. What ability does Ngonyama have?
(a) To negotiate even the hardest situations.
(b) To become invisible.
(c) To walk through walls.
(d) To fade into the background.
7. What is the name of the Spanish explorer who is the source of the only recorded description of the tribes people the crew will be picking up?
(a) Rafael Garcia.
(b) Garcia Rafael.
(c) Marco Polo.
(d) Marco Garcia.
8. Rutherford befriends an Allmuseri woman and a young girl named Baleka. What relationship is Baleka to the Allmuseri woman?
9. After the storm, who stands up to Cringle regarding the poor condition of the ship?
(a) Matthew McGaffin.
(b) Terrence Meadows.
(c) Captain Falcon.
10. During the storm encountered by the Republic, who is among those swept out to sea?
(b) Baleka's mother.
(c) Baleka's aunt.
(d) Baleka's father.
11. Captain Falcon tells Rutherford that the cargo they will pick up at Bangalang includes forty ______________ tribes people.
12. Falcon tells Rutherford that it is his bet Rutherford will be ________________ by the time the ship returns to New Orleans.
(a) A ship's officer.
(b) A slave.
(c) A man's man.
13. After the cargo is brought on board, what does Captain Falcon put Rutherford in charge of?
(a) Guarding the ivory and gold.
(b) Feeding the Allmuseri.
(c) Feeding the sheep.
(d) Feeding the goats.
14. What is another name for the crew's sleeping quarters, according to Rutherford's entry?
(a) Berthing area.
15. After Rutherford's new friend passes out from alcohol, what does Rutherford do?
(a) Boards the ship as a stowaway.
(b) Steals the man's work papers and uses his identity to start a new life in Alabama.
(c) Steals the man's work papers and boards the ship as him.
(d) Goes home and prepares for his wedding.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Tommy wind up being the first to try to look at the mysterious cargo inside the crate?
2. What is the name of the sailor Rutherford meets?
3. Where does Tommy stay for the rest of the voyage to New Orleans?
4. What percentage was Captain Falcon set to receive of the cargo's value?
5. What position does Peter Cringle hold aboard the Republic?
This section contains 497 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)