|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many lines of a book had Captain Falcon taught himself to read at once?
2. What does Isadora tell Rutherford he should do instead of constantly getting drunk?
(a) Go back to the plantation.
(b) Reconcile with his family.
(c) Something productive with his life.
(d) Join the crew of a ship.
3. Isadora warns Rutherford that he is not _________.
4. About whom does Rutherford want to learn more?
(c) Tommy, the cabin boy.
(d) Captain Falcon.
5. Who is "Papa"?
(a) Captain Falcon.
(b) Reverend Chandler.
(d) Mr. Zeringue.
6. When Rutherford sees the Allmuseri, what tribe does he describe them as taller than?
7. What does Cringle tell Rutherford that Falcon watches for in each crew member?
(a) A weakness.
(b) A strength.
8. What position does Peter Cringle hold aboard the Republic?
(a) First mate.
(c) First mate and quartermaster.
9. What, according to Rutherford, is the first duty of the sailors on board the Republic?
(a) Stay drunk.
(b) Obey the captain.
(c) Stay out of Squibb's way.
(d) Keep the ship afloat at all costs.
10. After the storm passes, what about Ngonyama sets him apart from all the others on board the ship?
(a) He is completely dry.
(b) He is wearing a life jacket.
(c) He is naked.
(d) He is encased in ice.
11. What has destroyed the Allmuseri village?
(a) The slave trade.
12. Isadora's terms leave Rutherford so afraid that he is afflicted for several hours with bouts of _________________.
13. What is the total value of the ship's entire cargo?
14. How much pay does Falcon offer Rutherford (an offer that Rutherford accepts) to remain part of the crew?
(a) Ten percent of the earnings.
(b) Twenty-five percent of the earnings.
(d) Five percent of the earnings.
15. Why doesn't Rutherford hear Captain Falcon come into the room?
(a) He is absorbed in reading.
(b) He is engrossed with looking out the window.
(c) He is asleep.
(d) He is deaf.
Short Answer Questions
1. What ability does Ngonyama have?
2. What does Cringle tell Rutherford about seeing and hearing the cabin boy in Falcon's quarters?
3. Rutherford realizes the Ngonyama's _____________ is very different from his own.
4. How does Rutherford describe Nathaniel Meadows?
5. What does Captain Falcon tell Rutherford he has been teased about since he was a boy?
This section contains 458 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)