|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When is the only time Cringle seems to relax?
(a) When he is with others.
(b) When he is sleeping.
(c) When he is alone on watch.
(d) When he is alone on watch or reading.
2. How much water do the Allmuseri have in the hold where they are they are kept?
(a) Six inches.
(b) Two feet.
(c) An inch.
(d) A foot.
3. What is Captain Falcon's opinion of the war against England?
(a) Brilliantly planned, but full of military mistakes.
(b) Brilliantly planned and masterfully executed.
(c) Stupid and full of military mistakes.
(d) Stupid, but masterfully executed.
4. Rutherford warns the reader not to be too ________________ his way of life.
(a) Angered by.
(b) Judgmental of.
(c) Disgusted by.
(d) Critical of.
5. After the storm passes, what about Ngonyama sets him apart from all the others on board the ship?
(a) He is encased in ice.
(b) He is completely dry.
(c) He is wearing a life jacket.
(d) He is naked.
6. Why doesn't Rutherford hear Captain Falcon come into the room?
(a) He is engrossed with looking out the window.
(b) He is absorbed in reading.
(c) He is asleep.
(d) He is deaf.
7. Which crew member does Cringle tell Rutherford to stay away from?
(b) Captain Falcon.
(d) Nathaniel Meadows.
8. The next time Rutherford talks to Falcon, what does Falcon tell him he plans to do with the Allmuseri once they reach land?
(a) Set them free.
(b) Sell them.
(c) Keep them for himself.
(d) Kill them.
9. What is another name for the crew's sleeping quarters, according to Rutherford's entry?
(a) Berthing area.
10. How much does Mr. Zeringue tell Rutherford he owes him?
(a) Fifty thousand sovereigns.
(b) Fifty thousand dollars.
(c) Fifty thousand pounds.
(d) Fifty thousand francs.
11. What prophecy of Reverend Chandler about him does Rutherford say comes true in Entry 3?
(a) He becomes a man's man.
(b) He becomes a thief.
(c) He becomes a murderer.
(d) He becomes a pirate.
12. During his sob story, how did Rutherford say his mother had died?
(a) Of overwork, in the fields of Illinois.
(b) In childbirth, giving birth to his baby sister.
(c) In bed, of old age.
(d) Of disease, during passage from Africa.
13. What does Rutherford eventually take up as a career?
14. About whom does Rutherford want to learn more?
(b) Tommy, the cabin boy.
(c) Captain Falcon.
15. Captain Falcon tells Rutherford that the cargo they will pick up at Bangalang includes forty ______________ tribes people.
Short Answer Questions
1. What ability does Ngonyama have?
2. What is Mr. Zeringue?
3. What does Captain Falcon catch Rutherford doing one night?
4. Who is appointed captain once Falcon is out of the way?
5. How much pay does Falcon offer Rutherford (an offer that Rutherford accepts) to remain part of the crew?
This section contains 501 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)