|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What activates the safety on the pistol that Falcon gives Rutherford?
(a) A button just above the trigger.
(b) A magnetized ring.
(c) A magnetized earring.
(d) The pistol has no safety.
2. What is another name for the crew's sleeping quarters, according to Rutherford's entry?
(b) Berthing area.
3. What is the main thing that Rutherford notices about the Republic?
(a) The stench and filthiness below deck.
(b) The absence of civility and manners.
(c) The absence of women.
(d) The lack of proper safety equipment.
4. How much water do the Allmuseri have in the hold where they are they are kept?
(a) A foot.
(b) Six inches.
(c) Two feet.
(d) An inch.
5. During the storm encountered by the Republic, who is among those swept out to sea?
(a) Baleka's aunt.
(c) Baleka's mother.
(d) Baleka's father.
6. Why does Squibb walk with a limp?
(a) He has a metal rod in his foot.
(b) He has a partially amputated foot.
(c) He has a wooden leg.
(d) He has a metal rod in his leg.
7. How old does Squibb tell Rutherford he is?
(c) He is unsure of his age.
8. Falcon tells Rutherford that it is his bet Rutherford will be ________________ by the time the ship returns to New Orleans.
(a) A ship's officer.
(c) A man's man.
(d) A slave.
9. Rutherford realizes the Ngonyama's _____________ is very different from his own.
(a) Sense of touch.
(b) Depth perception.
(c) Hearing sensitivity.
(d) Night vision.
10. How does Rutherford describe Nathaniel Meadows?
(a) Extremely handsome and arrogant.
(b) Somewhat disfigured and meek.
(c) Severely disfigured and arrogant.
(d) Extremely handsome and meek.
11. What does Cringle tell Rutherford that Falcon watches for in each crew member?
(a) A strength.
(c) A weakness.
12. What, according to Rutherford, is the first duty of the sailors on board the Republic?
(a) Stay out of Squibb's way.
(b) Stay drunk.
(c) Obey the captain.
(d) Keep the ship afloat at all costs.
13. How many lines of a book had Captain Falcon taught himself to read at once?
14. Why doesn't Rutherford hear Captain Falcon come into the room?
(a) He is asleep.
(b) He is deaf.
(c) He is absorbed in reading.
(d) He is engrossed with looking out the window.
15. After talking with Isadora and Mr. Zeringue, where does Rutherford go that turns out to be filled with sailors?
(a) The docks.
(b) A restaurant.
(c) A store.
(d) A pub.
Short Answer Questions
1. What ability does Ngonyama have?
2. Captain Falcon asks Rutherford to be his ____________ around the crew.
3. After the storm passes, what about Ngonyama sets him apart from all the others on board the ship?
4. After the cargo is brought on board, what does Captain Falcon put Rutherford in charge of?
5. What does Isadora tell Rutherford he should do instead of constantly getting drunk?
This section contains 516 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)