|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many lines of a book had Captain Falcon taught himself to read at once?
2. Who is appointed captain once Falcon is out of the way?
3. Rutherford realizes the Ngonyama's _____________ is very different from his own.
(a) Sense of touch.
(b) Night vision.
(c) Depth perception.
(d) Hearing sensitivity.
4. In the Allmuseri language, what part of speech is used instead of nouns?
5. Rutherford befriends an Allmuseri woman and a young girl named Baleka. What relationship is Baleka to the Allmuseri woman?
6. After the storm, who stands up to Cringle regarding the poor condition of the ship?
(a) Captain Falcon.
(c) Matthew McGaffin.
(d) Terrence Meadows.
7. Why does Squibb walk with a limp?
(a) He has a wooden leg.
(b) He has a metal rod in his foot.
(c) He has a metal rod in his leg.
(d) He has a partially amputated foot.
8. What does Cringle tell Rutherford that Falcon watches for in each crew member?
(a) A weakness.
(c) A strength.
9. The next time Rutherford talks to Falcon, what does Falcon tell him he plans to do with the Allmuseri once they reach land?
(a) Kill them.
(b) Set them free.
(c) Keep them for himself.
(d) Sell them.
10. At the beginning of Entry 2, what does Rutherford say wakes him up?
(a) A knife pressed against his neck.
(b) A knife pressed against his stomach.
(c) A pistol pressed against his stomach.
(d) A pistol pressed against his head.
11. The crew seems to spend most of their time at sea:
(a) Getting drunk.
(c) Attempting to repair the ship.
(d) Complaining about the lack of cleanliness.
12. Who is "Papa"?
(a) Reverend Chandler.
(b) Mr. Zeringue.
(c) Captain Falcon.
13. What activates the safety on the pistol that Falcon gives Rutherford?
(a) A magnetized earring.
(b) A button just above the trigger.
(c) The pistol has no safety.
(d) A magnetized ring.
14. Falcon tells Rutherford that it is his bet Rutherford will be ________________ by the time the ship returns to New Orleans.
(a) A man's man.
(c) A slave.
(d) A ship's officer.
15. What is the name of the sailor Rutherford meets?
Short Answer Questions
1. During the storm encountered by the Republic, who is among those swept out to sea?
2. What did Reverend Chandler, Rutherford's master, try to teach him while he was growing up on the plantation?
3. When the Republic begins its return trip to New Orleans, what does it encounter?
4. What is the total value of the ship's entire cargo?
5. Captain Falcon's ship is going to Bangalang, located on the coast of which country?
This section contains 449 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)