|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. While in New Orleans, where does Rutherford like to hang out?
(a) The French Quarter.
(b) The marina.
(c) The bar.
(d) The waterfront.
2. Who is "Papa"?
(a) Mr. Zeringue.
(b) Captain Falcon.
(d) Reverend Chandler.
3. Isadora agrees to pay off Rutherford's debt if he agrees to what?
(a) Kill Santos.
(b) Marry her the next day.
(c) Kill Mr. Zeringue.
(d) Work aboard the Republic.
4. What is the name of the sailor Rutherford meets?
5. How many slaves is Ngonyama put in charge of?
6. What does Captain Falcon tell Rutherford he has been teased about since he was a boy?
(a) His limp.
(b) His voice.
(c) His protruding belly.
(d) His small size.
7. How does Rutherford describe Nathaniel Meadows?
(a) Somewhat disfigured and meek.
(b) Extremely handsome and arrogant.
(c) Extremely handsome and meek.
(d) Severely disfigured and arrogant.
8. When Rutherford sees the Allmuseri, what tribe does he describe them as taller than?
9. After Rutherford's new friend passes out from alcohol, what does Rutherford do?
(a) Steals the man's work papers and boards the ship as him.
(b) Goes home and prepares for his wedding.
(c) Boards the ship as a stowaway.
(d) Steals the man's work papers and uses his identity to start a new life in Alabama.
10. After the cargo is brought on board, what does Captain Falcon put Rutherford in charge of?
(a) Feeding the sheep.
(b) Guarding the ivory and gold.
(c) Feeding the goats.
(d) Feeding the Allmuseri.
11. Which crew member does Cringle tell Rutherford to stay away from?
(a) Nathaniel Meadows.
(c) Captain Falcon.
12. To whom does Rutherford tell a sob story?
(b) Tommy, the cabin boy.
(d) Captain Falcon.
13. What is the term used for the toilet?
(d) Honey bucket.
14. During the storm encountered by the Republic, who is among those swept out to sea?
(b) Baleka's aunt.
(c) Baleka's father.
(d) Baleka's mother.
15. After talking with Isadora and Mr. Zeringue, where does Rutherford go that turns out to be filled with sailors?
(a) A pub.
(b) The docks.
(c) A store.
(d) A restaurant.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Captain Falcon catch Rutherford doing one night?
2. Isadora warns Rutherford that he is not _________.
3. What does Isadora tell Rutherford he should do instead of constantly getting drunk?
4. How much does Mr. Zeringue tell Rutherford he owes him?
5. Captain Falcon asks Rutherford to be his ____________ around the crew.
This section contains 442 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)