|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When he arrives in New Orleans, where does Rutherford try, but fail, to find work?
(b) Salons and negro bars.
(c) Restaurants and the shipyard..
(d) Negro bars.
2. When carving a pig, how does Rutherford describe the way Ngonyama handles the knife?
(a) He moves as if the knife were dull.
(b) He moves as if the knife were razor sharp.
(c) He moves as if the knife were one with his hand.
(d) He moves as if he has never seen a knife before.
3. Isadora agrees to pay off Rutherford's debt if he agrees to what?
(a) Kill Mr. Zeringue.
(b) Kill Santos.
(c) Marry her the next day.
(d) Work aboard the Republic.
4. How many bullet holes does Captain Falcon's door have in it?
5. Approximately long will the ship's journey take?
(a) Three years.
(b) Three weeks.
(c) Three decades.
(d) Three months.
6. What is the name of the black man who brings Rutherford to Mr. Zeringue?
7. What ability does Ngonyama have?
(a) To negotiate even the hardest situations.
(b) To fade into the background.
(c) To become invisible.
(d) To walk through walls.
8. How does Tommy wind up being the first to try to look at the mysterious cargo inside the crate?
(a) He draws the shortest straw.
(b) He loses at a game of dice.
(c) He wins a game of poker.
(d) He is the youngest crew member.
9. To whom does Rutherford tell a sob story?
(a) Tommy, the cabin boy.
(b) Captain Falcon.
10. What effect does Rutherford say the written form of the Allmuseri language has on him?
(a) It makes him anxious.
(b) It angers him.
(c) It confuses him.
(d) It relaxes him.
11. Falcon tells Rutherford that it is his bet Rutherford will be ________________ by the time the ship returns to New Orleans.
(a) A man's man.
(c) A slave.
(d) A ship's officer.
12. How does Rutherford describe Nathaniel Meadows?
(a) Severely disfigured and arrogant.
(b) Extremely handsome and meek.
(c) Extremely handsome and arrogant.
(d) Somewhat disfigured and meek.
13. What is Tommy no longer able to do after he tries to look at the cargo?
14. About whom does Rutherford want to learn more?
(a) Captain Falcon.
(c) Tommy, the cabin boy.
15. Where does the explorer now reside?
(a) In a temple in Bangalang.
(b) In an institution for the insane in Havana.
(c) In a plantation in New Orleans.
(d) In a hacienda in Madrid.
Short Answer Questions
1. In describing the Allmuseri language, Rutherford says the sounds they produce are like:
2. What does Isadora tell Rutherford he should do instead of constantly getting drunk?
3. What is the main thing that Rutherford notices about the Republic?
4. How many lines of a book had Captain Falcon taught himself to read at once?
5. When the Republic begins its return trip to New Orleans, what does it encounter?
This section contains 526 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)