|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Tommy no longer able to do after he tries to look at the cargo?
2. When Rutherford sees the Allmuseri, what tribe does he describe them as taller than?
3. What prophecy of Reverend Chandler about him does Rutherford say comes true in Entry 3?
(a) He becomes a pirate.
(b) He becomes a murderer.
(c) He becomes a thief.
(d) He becomes a man's man.
4. What position does Peter Cringle hold aboard the Republic?
(c) First mate and quartermaster.
(d) First mate.
5. When is the only time Cringle seems to relax?
(a) When he is with others.
(b) When he is alone on watch or reading.
(c) When he is sleeping.
(d) When he is alone on watch.
6. What does Captain Falcon catch Rutherford doing one night?
(a) Rummaging through his cabin.
(b) Stealing from the rest of the crew.
(c) Stealing from the liquor stash.
(d) Rummaging through the galley.
7. According to Rutherford, what are Falcon's legs shorter than?
(a) His dining table.
(b) His captain's chair.
(c) His bed.
(d) His chart table.
8. How many lines of a book had Captain Falcon taught himself to read at once?
9. Which crew member does Cringle tell Rutherford to stay away from?
(b) Nathaniel Meadows.
(c) Captain Falcon.
10. To whom does Rutherford tell a sob story?
(a) Captain Falcon.
(b) Tommy, the cabin boy.
11. What does Captain Falcon tell Rutherford he has been teased about since he was a boy?
(a) His small size.
(b) His protruding belly.
(c) His limp.
(d) His voice.
12. Where does Tommy stay for the rest of the voyage to New Orleans?
(a) Falcon's cabin.
(b) Cringle's cabin.
(c) His hammock in the orlop.
(d) In the cargo hold with the creature.
13. Rutherford befriends an Allmuseri woman and a young girl named Baleka. What relationship is Baleka to the Allmuseri woman?
14. About whom does Rutherford want to learn more?
(a) Tommy, the cabin boy.
(c) Captain Falcon.
15. The sailor that Rutherford meets in Entry 1 is taking the position of ____________ aboard Captain Falcon's ship.
(b) First Mate.
Short Answer Questions
1. What, according to Rutherford, is the first duty of the sailors on board the Republic?
2. Isadora's terms leave Rutherford so afraid that he is afflicted for several hours with bouts of _________________.
3. The name of the ship on which Rutherford's new acquaintance is sailing is:
4. What did Reverend Chandler, Rutherford's master, try to teach him while he was growing up on the plantation?
5. Captain Falcon tells Rutherford that the cargo they will pick up at Bangalang includes forty ______________ tribes people.
This section contains 458 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)