|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What activates the safety on the pistol that Falcon gives Rutherford?
(a) A magnetized ring.
(b) The pistol has no safety.
(c) A button just above the trigger.
(d) A magnetized earring.
2. The name of the ship on which Rutherford's new acquaintance is sailing is:
(a) The Federalist>.
(b) The Black Pearl.
(c) The Juno.
(d) The Republic.
3. What effect does Rutherford say the written form of the Allmuseri language has on him?
(a) It makes him anxious.
(b) It confuses him.
(c) It relaxes him.
(d) It angers him.
4. What is the name of the Spanish explorer who is the source of the only recorded description of the tribes people the crew will be picking up?
(a) Rafael Garcia.
(b) Garcia Rafael.
(c) Marco Polo.
(d) Marco Garcia.
5. How much pay does Falcon offer Rutherford (an offer that Rutherford accepts) to remain part of the crew?
(a) Twenty-five percent of the earnings.
(b) Five percent of the earnings.
(d) Ten percent of the earnings.
6. What is another name for the crew's sleeping quarters, according to Rutherford's entry?
(b) Berthing area.
7. What does Cringle tell Rutherford about seeing and hearing the cabin boy in Falcon's quarters?
(a) He tells Rutherford not to speak of it to anyone.
(b) He says nothing to Rutherford about it.
(c) He tells Rutherford to tell anyone who will listen.
(d) He tells Rutherford that he wants to kill Falcon over it.
8. Captain Falcon asks Rutherford to be his ____________ around the crew.
(a) Eyes and ears.
(b) Hands and feet.
(c) Ears and eyes.
(d) Heart and soul.
9. When the Republic begins its return trip to New Orleans, what does it encounter?
(a) Rough water and bad weather.
(c) Calm water and no wind.
(d) Sea monsters.
10. Isadora agrees to pay off Rutherford's debt if he agrees to what?
(a) Marry her the next day.
(b) Work aboard the Republic.
(c) Kill Mr. Zeringue.
(d) Kill Santos.
11. How old does Squibb tell Rutherford he is?
(b) He is unsure of his age.
12. What prophecy of Reverend Chandler about him does Rutherford say comes true in Entry 3?
(a) He becomes a pirate.
(b) He becomes a murderer.
(c) He becomes a thief.
(d) He becomes a man's man.
13. During the storm encountered by the Republic, who is among those swept out to sea?
(a) Baleka's father.
(b) Baleka's mother.
(c) Baleka's aunt.
14. How many slaves is Ngonyama put in charge of?
15. In describing the Allmuseri language, Rutherford says the sounds they produce are like:
(a) The rush of wind through the trees.
(b) The sound of birds chattering at dawn.
(c) Nails on a chalkboard.
(d) Deep, melodious breaths.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the profession of Captain Falcon's father?
2. What does Cringle tell Rutherford that Falcon watches for in each crew member?
3. What does Cringle have a sixth sense about?
4. Why do the Allmuseri require no medication?
5. What percentage was Captain Falcon set to receive of the cargo's value?
This section contains 496 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)