|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Hussain Kirsha avoid the cafe as he returns home?
2. What does Hussain Kirsha wish he had been?
3. Why does Salim Alwan apologize to Sheikh Darwish?
4. What are Kirsha's real feelings about Hussain Kirsha's return home?
5. Why does Susu say it is an advantage that Hamida has never danced before?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
A protagonist in a story is the character who suffers most and learns most. Is there a single protagonist in this story? If so, who is the protagonist? Use evidence from the text to support your point of view.
Essay Topic 2
A character foil is one whose characteristics provide a contrast to a main character. Is Hussain Kirsha a character foil for Abbas? Why or why not? Compare and contrast the characters of the two young men.
Essay Topic 3
Women in Midaq Alley have very limited spheres of action. What can they do to improve their situations? Consider their access to health care, education, employment, and marriage prospects.
This section contains 1,215 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)