|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Hamida think she will never eat lentils again?
2. How does Hussain Kirsha think Egypt is different from the rest of the world?
3. How does Sheikh Darwish respond to Ibrahim Farhat's request for a blessing?
4. Why do the boys advise Uncle Kamil to put up a poster of Ibrahim Farhat, the candidate?
5. Why does Salim Alwan plan revenge on his wife?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Consider the references to God in the story in terms of personal responsibility. Which characters seem to you to actually believe in God and try to conform their behavior to the teachings of the Qur'an? Are those that refer to God most the true believers? Discuss at least two characters in terms of their relation to deity, using examples from the text.
Essay Topic 2
What effect on Mahfouz' storytelling was created by the fact that his audience had a low level of literacy and were unlikely to have ever read a novel before this one? What probable effects of those facts can you demonstrate in the text?
Essay Topic 3
Much of the conversation among alley residents contains old sayings that are familiar to them: "A good jug pours forth good water." It is always the carpenter's door that needs repair," " Only a fool refuses generosity." Scan through the book and select several of these proverbs to explain. Use the context in which they are spoken for your explanations.
This section contains 1,208 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)