|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are Kirsha's real feelings about Hussain Kirsha's return home?
2. Why does Hamida think she will never eat lentils again?
3. What does Mrs. Afify want from Dr. Booshy?
4. Where does the English instructor say the girls learn English best?
5. What does Hamida feel when she unexpectedly encounters Abbas?
Essay Topic 1
A character foil is one whose characteristics provide a contrast to a main character. Is Hussain Kirsha a character foil for Abbas? Why or why not? Compare and contrast the characters of the two young men.
Essay Topic 2
Consider the references to God in the story in terms of personal responsibility. Which characters seem to you to actually believe in God and try to conform their behavior to the teachings of the Qur'an? Are those that refer to God most the true believers? Discuss at least two characters in terms of their relation to deity, using examples from the text.
Essay Topic 3
Determine what the main theme of Midaq Alley is, and support your answer with evidence from the book. Where is this theme seen in the book? How is it exemplified? Who does it affect? What role does it have in the plot?
This section contains 1,178 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)