Final Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Hamida have that proves her popularity with the soldiers?
2. What does Hamida feel when she unexpectedly encounters Abbas?
3. What does Ibrahim Faraj say is his true profession?
4. Why is Ibrahim Faraj, the stranger, so pleased when Hamida readily comes with him?
5. Why does the stranger seem out of place in Midaq Alley?
Mrs. Afify is superstitious. Describe her superstitions and the role they play in the plot.
Analyze the effects of serialization on the structure of this story. Consider elements such as repetition, cliffhangers, gossip, and "tags" at the end of each chapter in which characters explain something that has happened to someone who doesn't know it yet. Find examples of each stylistic element of serialization and explain its use.
Midaq Alley is set in a time of great cultural upheaval and change. What changes take place in the culture of the alley during the course of this story? Do you see generational differences between characters of different ages? Use examples from the text in your analysis.
This section contains 249 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)