|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Hamida feel about the stranger's constant attention?
2. What does Ibrahim Faraj say pimps are?
3. What does Ibrahim Farhat do for a living?
4. Why does Salim Alwan apologize to Sheikh Darwish?
5. What does Hamida believe the stranger means when he says, "I'm just the one to take you!"
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There is often a difference between what a character says and what we are told the character actually thinks. Analyze at least two circumstances in which this is true. Discuss probable reasons why the characters do not speak frankly to one another.
Essay Topic 2
Much of the conversation among alley residents contains old sayings that are familiar to them: "A good jug pours forth good water." It is always the carpenter's door that needs repair," " Only a fool refuses generosity." Scan through the book and select several of these proverbs to explain. Use the context in which they are spoken for your explanations.
Essay Topic 3
A protagonist in a story is the character who suffers most and learns most. Is there a single protagonist in this story? If so, who is the protagonist? Use evidence from the text to support your point of view.
This section contains 280 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)