|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Mrs. Kirsha's complaint when Hussain Kirsha comes home?
2. How does Abbas learn that Hamida left with a man?
3. What does the stranger say is the last thing new lovers learn about each other?
4. What is the first thing Ibrahim Faraj makes Hamida change?
5. What does Susu say is life's most beautiful thing?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Critics have said that Mahfouz presents his characters with great humor. Are there elements of this story that seem funny to you? What do you make of the fact that characters in the story who love one another often speak to each other with exaggerated hatred and disdain and in direct opposition to their real feelings? Much of humor is difficult to translate from one language or cultural setting to another. Select incidents from the story which could be interpreted as comical and explain what could make them funny.
Essay Topic 2
Take Zaita's point of view and write an essay defending his method of earning a living.
Essay Topic 3
Midaq Alley is set in a time of great cultural upheaval and change. What changes take place in the culture of the alley during the course of this story? Do you see generational differences between characters of different ages? Use examples from the text in your analysis.
This section contains 281 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)