|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why do the boys advise Uncle Kamil to put up a poster of Ibrahim Farhat, the candidate?
2. What is Mrs. Kirsha's complaint when Hussain Kirsha comes home?
3. Ibrahim Faraj compares Hamida to what animal?
4. What does Ibrahim Faraj say pimps are?
5. Why does Radwan Hussainy counsel Kirsha to be kind to those who envy him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The story ends as it began, with a description of the alley. Do you think that Mahfouz would agree with the statement, "The more things change, the more they remain the same?" Or would he agree with Sheikh Darwish's statement, "There's never a heart that doesn't change?" In your essay, take one side or the other and defend your position with facts from the text.
Essay Topic 2
Take Zaita's point of view and write an essay defending his method of earning a living.
Essay Topic 3
Determine what the main theme of Midaq Alley is, and support your answer with evidence from the book. Where is this theme seen in the book? How is it exemplified? Who does it affect? What role does it have in the plot?
This section contains 289 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)