Final Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Hamida have that proves her popularity with the soldiers?
2. What does Hamida feel when she unexpectedly encounters Abbas?
3. What does Ibrahim Faraj say is his true profession?
4. Why is Ibrahim Faraj, the stranger, so pleased when Hamida readily comes with him?
5. Why does the stranger seem out of place in Midaq Alley?
Evaluate the character of Sheikh Darwish. What makes him a holy man? What effect do his pronouncements have on those around him? As a stylistic tool, he is used by Mahfouz for foreshadowing and explanation. Use examples of both in your analysis.
A character foil is one whose characteristics provide a contrast to a main character. Is Hussain Kirsha a character foil for Abbas? Why or why not? Compare and contrast the characters of the two young men.
Radwan Hussainy says that evil is a form of weakness or illness, causing people to be unable to recognize the good that is around them. Consider the problem of evil in this story. Is Zaita evil? Is Ibrahim Faraj? Is Hamida? Decide upon your own definition of evil, and analyze at least two characters in light of your definition, using evidence from the text. Then determine whether you agree with Radwan Hussainy's definition.
This section contains 285 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)