|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Zaita insist Dr. Booshy accompany him into the tombs?
2. How do Salim Alwan's sons react to his hostility?
3. What part of Kirsha has suffered the worst damage from the heart attack?
4. Why does Hussain Kirsha avoid the cafe as he returns home?
5. What is Ibrahim Faraj's new name for Hamida?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Evaluate the character of Sheikh Darwish. What makes him a holy man? What effect do his pronouncements have on those around him? As a stylistic tool, he is used by Mahfouz for foreshadowing and explanation. Use examples of both in your analysis.
Essay Topic 2
Take Zaita's point of view and write an essay defending his method of earning a living.
Essay Topic 3
Mrs. Afify is superstitious. Describe her superstitions and the role they play in the plot.
This section contains 220 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)