|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Hussain Kirsha wish he had been?
2. How does Hamida view her relationship with the stranger?
3. Why does Salim Alwan apologize to Sheikh Darwish?
4. Who does Salim Alwan believe has better fortune than he?
5. Why does Ibrahim Faraj stop himself from having sex with Hamida?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The story ends as it began, with a description of the alley. Do you think that Mahfouz would agree with the statement, "The more things change, the more they remain the same?" Or would he agree with Sheikh Darwish's statement, "There's never a heart that doesn't change?" In your essay, take one side or the other and defend your position with facts from the text.
Essay Topic 2
Mrs. Afify is superstitious. Describe her superstitions and the role they play in the plot.
Essay Topic 3
Analyze the effects of serialization on the structure of this story. Consider elements such as repetition, cliffhangers, gossip, and "tags" at the end of each chapter in which characters explain something that has happened to someone who doesn't know it yet. Find examples of each stylistic element of serialization and explain its use.
This section contains 285 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)