|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are Kirsha's real feelings about Hussain Kirsha's return home?
2. What gift has Abbas brought for Hamida?
3. How does Abbas respond to his first drink of alcohol?
4. How does the stranger irritate Kirsha?
5. How does Hussain Kirsha think Egypt is different from the rest of the world?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The effects of World War II on the Egyptian residents of Midaq Alley are far different than the effects of people of different economic and social strata, and on people in different parts of the world. Using the text, explain how the war has affected these characters.
Essay Topic 2
Take Zaita's point of view and write an essay defending his method of earning a living.
Essay Topic 3
Much of the conversation among alley residents contains old sayings that are familiar to them: "A good jug pours forth good water." It is always the carpenter's door that needs repair," " Only a fool refuses generosity." Scan through the book and select several of these proverbs to explain. Use the context in which they are spoken for your explanations.
This section contains 309 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)