Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Hamida have that proves her popularity with the soldiers?
2. What does Hamida feel when she unexpectedly encounters Abbas?
3. What does Ibrahim Faraj say is his true profession?
4. Why is Ibrahim Faraj, the stranger, so pleased when Hamida readily comes with him?
5. Why does the stranger seem out of place in Midaq Alley?
Essay Topic 1
Consider the references to God in the story in terms of personal responsibility. Which characters seem to you to actually believe in God and try to conform their behavior to the teachings of the Qur'an? Are those that refer to God most the true believers? Discuss at least two characters in terms of their relation to deity, using examples from the text.
Essay Topic 2
Much of the conversation among alley residents contains old sayings that are familiar to them: "A good jug pours forth good water." It is always the carpenter's door that needs repair," " Only a fool refuses generosity." Scan through the book and select several of these proverbs to explain. Use the context in which they are spoken for your explanations.
Essay Topic 3
Women in Midaq Alley have very limited spheres of action. What can they do to improve their situations? Consider their access to health care, education, employment, and marriage prospects.
This section contains 290 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)