|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Hamida view her relationship with the stranger?
2. Why is Kirsha offended at Ibrahim Farhat's offer to pay for his support?
3. Why does Zaita insist Dr. Booshy accompany him into the tombs?
4. Why is Ibrahim Faraj, the stranger, so pleased when Hamida readily comes with him?
5. What moment marks the dividing point between Hamida's two lives?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Midaq Alley is set in a time of great cultural upheaval and change. What changes take place in the culture of the alley during the course of this story? Do you see generational differences between characters of different ages? Use examples from the text in your analysis.
Essay Topic 2
The story ends as it began, with a description of the alley. Do you think that Mahfouz would agree with the statement, "The more things change, the more they remain the same?" Or would he agree with Sheikh Darwish's statement, "There's never a heart that doesn't change?" In your essay, take one side or the other and defend your position with facts from the text.
Essay Topic 3
Radwan Hussainy says that evil is a form of weakness or illness, causing people to be unable to recognize the good that is around them. Consider the problem of evil in this story. Is Zaita evil? Is Ibrahim Faraj? Is Hamida? Decide upon your own definition of evil, and analyze at least two characters in light of your definition, using evidence from the text. Then determine whether you agree with Radwan Hussainy's definition.
This section contains 1,193 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)