|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Zaita insist Dr. Booshy accompany him into the tombs?
2. How much does Ibrahim Farhat offer Kirsha for his support?
3. What does Hamida believe the stranger means when he says, "I'm just the one to take you!"
4. What is the only thing that Hamida misses about her past life?
5. What does Hamida feel when she unexpectedly encounters Abbas?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The story ends as it began, with a description of the alley. Do you think that Mahfouz would agree with the statement, "The more things change, the more they remain the same?" Or would he agree with Sheikh Darwish's statement, "There's never a heart that doesn't change?" In your essay, take one side or the other and defend your position with facts from the text.
Essay Topic 2
Consider the references to God in the story in terms of personal responsibility. Which characters seem to you to actually believe in God and try to conform their behavior to the teachings of the Qur'an? Are those that refer to God most the true believers? Discuss at least two characters in terms of their relation to deity, using examples from the text.
Essay Topic 3
Midaq Alley is set in a time of great cultural upheaval and change. What changes take place in the culture of the alley during the course of this story? Do you see generational differences between characters of different ages? Use examples from the text in your analysis.
This section contains 301 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)