|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What pleases Kirsha most about his son's return?
2. What endeavor do Dr. Booshy and Zaita share?
3. What is Uncle Kamil reluctant to tell Abbas?
4. Why does Radwan Hussainy counsel Kirsha to be kind to those who envy him?
5. How does Hamida feel about the stranger's constant attention?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
A character foil is one whose characteristics provide a contrast to a main character. Is Hussain Kirsha a character foil for Abbas? Why or why not? Compare and contrast the characters of the two young men.
Essay Topic 2
Mrs. Afify is superstitious. Describe her superstitions and the role they play in the plot.
Essay Topic 3
Analyze the character of Radwan Hussainy. How has he managed to live happily while enduring great sorrow and loss? What effect does his advice have on those who ask him for it? What do you see as Mahfouz' purpose in making Radwan Hussainy a central character in his depiction of the alley?
This section contains 245 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)