|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How is Radwan Hussainy regarded by pious men like himself?
2. Was is Radwan Hussainy an unusual landlord?
3. How has Dr. Booshy earned his title?
4. What does Salim Alwan eat for lunch each day?
5. What does Husniya tell Zaita he must do before he can talk to people?
Short Essay Questions
1. As the story ends, what are the residents of the alley preparing to celebrate?
2. What does Radwan Hussainy promise Abbas will happen if he returns to work and forgets about Hamida?
3. Why does Radwan Hussainy feel guilty for the wrongdoing of Dr. Booshy and Zaita?
4. Why have Salim Alwan's sons drifted from the life of merchants and trade?
5. How could Salim Alwan earn the respected title of "bey?"
6. Why does Mrs. Kirsha go to Radwan Hussainy to complain of her husband's behavior?
7. Why does Uncle Kamil have nothing more to do with Salim Alwan?
8. Why does Zaita claim that the best doctors in Egypt don't have the skill that he does?
9. Why does Ibrahim Faraj select the name Titi for Hamida?
10. Why does Kirsha wish success to Hitler?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Characters in the story face strong internal conflicts as well as external conflicts with people or circumstances. Select two characters who do battle inside themselves and analyze their conflicts.
Essay Topic 2
Radwan Hussainy says that evil is a form of weakness or illness, causing people to be unable to recognize the good that is around them. Consider the problem of evil in this story. Is Zaita evil? Is Ibrahim Faraj? Is Hamida? Decide upon your own definition of evil, and analyze at least two characters in light of your definition, using evidence from the text. Then determine whether you agree with Radwan Hussainy's definition.
Essay Topic 3
The effects of World War II on the Egyptian residents of Midaq Alley are far different than the effects of people of different economic and social strata, and on people in different parts of the world. Using the text, explain how the war has affected these characters.
This section contains 708 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)