Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Umma Hamida pleased with Salim Alwan's offer?
2. Why does Umm Hamida consult Radwan Hussainy about Salim Alwan's offer?
3. How does Salim Alwan deal with his family?
4. Who is the only person in constant motion in the cafe?
5. Where does Sheik Darwish live?
Short Essay Questions
1. What relationship does the Kirsha family have to Hamida?
2. What does Hamida believe rich people eat?
3. Waiting for the boy with whom he has become acquainted, Kirsha suffers the "bitterness of victory." What is the bitterness of victory?
4. What does Zaita promise he will do to help the beggar who is too big and strong to gain people's sympathy?
5. How do Hamida and her friends feel about the Jewish girls that work in Cairo?
6. What does Hamida hope when the handsome stranger first talks to her - a hope that is the exact opposite of what she says?
7. As the story ends, what are the residents of the alley preparing to celebrate?
8. How does Radwan Hussainy behave toward his wife that is in contrast to his treatment of all others?
9. Why do Abbas' words of love have an effect on Hamida although she does not care for him?
10. Why does Radwan Hussainy tell Salim Alwan that he is better off with his sickness than others are with their health?
Essay Topic 1
Mrs. Afify is superstitious. Describe her superstitions and the role they play in the plot.
Essay Topic 2
The effects of World War II on the Egyptian residents of Midaq Alley are far different than the effects of people of different economic and social strata, and on people in different parts of the world. Using the text, explain how the war has affected these characters.
Essay Topic 3
Midaq Alley is set in a time of great cultural upheaval and change. What changes take place in the culture of the alley during the course of this story? Do you see generational differences between characters of different ages? Use examples from the text in your analysis.
This section contains 649 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)