|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What relation is Umm Hamida to Hamida?
2. How does the boy respond to Kirsha's invitation to come to his cafe?
3. How does the alley learn of Salim Alwan's lunch and its powers?
4. What does Sheikh Darwish say about Abbas' love of Hamida?
5. How does Zaita help the strong man to become an efficient beggar?
Short Essay Questions
1. As the story ends, what are the residents of the alley preparing to celebrate?
2. When Kirsha's wife comes to the cafe to assail him with his wrongdoing, he blames himself. Why does he think he deserves her wrath?
3. Why do residents of the alley fear Umm Hamida?
4. How does Hamida feel when Ibrahim Faraj begins to woo her?
5. Why does Dr. Booshy dislike Mrs. Afify?
6. What does Radwan Hussainy promise Abbas will happen if he returns to work and forgets about Hamida?
7. What does Jaada do that causes Husniya to beat him continually?
8. What does Hamida believe rich people eat?
9. How does Radwan Hussainy behave toward his wife that is in contrast to his treatment of all others?
10. How does Hamida feel about questions of morality?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1Take Zaita's point of view and write an essay defending his method of earning a living.
Essay Topic 2The story ends as it began, with a description of the alley. Do you think that Mahfouz would agree with the statement, "The more things change, the more they remain the same?" Or would he agree with Sheikh Darwish's statement, "There's never a heart that doesn't change?" In your essay, take one side or the other and defend your position with facts from the text.
Essay Topic 3Analyze the effects of serialization on the structure of this story. Consider elements such as repetition, cliffhangers, gossip, and "tags" at the end of each chapter in which characters explain something that has happened to someone who doesn't know it yet. Find examples of each stylistic element of serialization and explain its use.
This section contains 657 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)