Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long has the poet been reciting in Kirsha's cafe?
2. What does Kirsha mean when he says a "galman"?
3. How many children does Salim Alwan have?
4. How often does Jaada go to the baths?
5. How does Sanker disrespect the old poet?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Hamida pleased when Abbas says that what she has done will always stand between them?
2. How had Sheikh Darwish become a homeless man of God?
3. Why does Abbas believe that Hamida feels the same attraction for him that he feels for her?
4. How do Hamida and her friends feel about the Jewish girls that work in Cairo?
5. What conflicting emotions does Hamida feel for the stranger who keeps staring at her?
6. Why do residents of the alley fear Umm Hamida?
7. What has caused Sheikh Darwish to weep and how so loudly that all the alley can hear him?
8. As the story ends, what are the residents of the alley preparing to celebrate?
9. Of Abbas and Hussain Kirsha, which was first to leave the alley and which was first to return?
10. How does Hamida feel when Ibrahim Faraj begins to woo her?
Analyze the character of Radwan Hussainy. How has he managed to live happily while enduring great sorrow and loss? What effect does his advice have on those who ask him for it? What do you see as Mahfouz' purpose in making Radwan Hussainy a central character in his depiction of the alley?
Women in Midaq Alley have very limited spheres of action. What can they do to improve their situations? Consider their access to health care, education, employment, and marriage prospects.
Midaq Alley is set in a time of great cultural upheaval and change. What changes take place in the culture of the alley during the course of this story? Do you see generational differences between characters of different ages? Use examples from the text in your analysis.
This section contains 604 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)