Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Umma Hamida pleased with Salim Alwan's offer?
2. Why does Umm Hamida consult Radwan Hussainy about Salim Alwan's offer?
3. How does Salim Alwan deal with his family?
4. Who is the only person in constant motion in the cafe?
5. Where does Sheik Darwish live?
Short Essay Questions
1. What relationship does the Kirsha family have to Hamida?
2. What does Hamida believe rich people eat?
3. Waiting for the boy with whom he has become acquainted, Kirsha suffers the "bitterness of victory." What is the bitterness of victory?
4. What does Zaita promise he will do to help the beggar who is too big and strong to gain people's sympathy?
5. How do Hamida and her friends feel about the Jewish girls that work in Cairo?
6. What does Hamida hope when the handsome stranger first talks to her - a hope that is the exact opposite of what she says?
7. As the story ends, what are the residents of the alley preparing to celebrate?
8. How does Radwan Hussainy behave toward his wife that is in contrast to his treatment of all others?
9. Why do Abbas' words of love have an effect on Hamida although she does not care for him?
10. Why does Radwan Hussainy tell Salim Alwan that he is better off with his sickness than others are with their health?
Essay Topic 1
Characters in the story face strong internal conflicts as well as external conflicts with people or circumstances. Select two characters who do battle inside themselves and analyze their conflicts.
Essay Topic 2
Consider the references to God in the story in terms of personal responsibility. Which characters seem to you to actually believe in God and try to conform their behavior to the teachings of the Qur'an? Are those that refer to God most the true believers? Discuss at least two characters in terms of their relation to deity, using examples from the text.
Essay Topic 3
A character foil is one whose characteristics provide a contrast to a main character. Is Hussain Kirsha a character foil for Abbas? Why or why not? Compare and contrast the characters of the two young men.
This section contains 1,549 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)