|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Salim Alwan's lunch do for him?
2. How has Dr. Booshy earned his title?
3. When does Zaita begin work?
4. Why do the residents of the alley think they've been suffering during the war?
5. How old is the photo Mrs. Afify sends to her suitor?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Kirsha's wife comes to the cafe to assail him with his wrongdoing, he blames himself. Why does he think he deserves her wrath?
2. Which of the alley residents was most affected by the news of Abbas' tragic death?
3. How did Hamida feel when she was in Ibrahim Faraj's house?
4. Why does Salim Alwan envy those who die of a heart attack?
5. What bad habits does Mrs. Afify have?
6. How had Sheikh Darwish become a homeless man of God?
7. What does Radwan Hussainy say can defeat all of life's tragedies?
8. Why does Dr. Booshy suffer when he goes with Zaita to rob graves?
9. What does Hamida believe rich people eat?
10. When Abbas comes home to the alley on holiday, Uncle Kamil follows him to the cafe, and then asks Abbas to return to the sweet shop with him. Why is Uncle Kamil staying so close to Abbas?
Essay Topic 1
There is often a difference between what a character says and what we are told the character actually thinks. Analyze at least two circumstances in which this is true. Discuss probable reasons why the characters do not speak frankly to one another.
Essay Topic 2
Consider the references to God in the story in terms of personal responsibility. Which characters seem to you to actually believe in God and try to conform their behavior to the teachings of the Qur'an? Are those that refer to God most the true believers? Discuss at least two characters in terms of their relation to deity, using examples from the text.
Essay Topic 3
What effect on Mahfouz' storytelling was created by the fact that his audience had a low level of literacy and were unlikely to have ever read a novel before this one? What probable effects of those facts can you demonstrate in the text?
This section contains 1,513 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)