|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Sheikh Darwish say about Abbas' love of Hamida?
2. How many children does Salim Alwan have?
3. Why do people in the alley avoid Zaita?
4. How has Dr. Booshy earned his title?
5. Why is Kirsha poor?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Dr. Booshy suffer when he goes with Zaita to rob graves?
2. As the story ends, what are the residents of the alley preparing to celebrate?
3. What conflicting emotions does Hamida feel for the stranger who keeps staring at her?
4. Why does Abbas believe that Hamida feels the same attraction for him that he feels for her?
5. How had Sheikh Darwish become a homeless man of God?
6. How could Salim Alwan earn the respected title of "bey?"
7. Why does Dr. Booshy dislike Mrs. Afify?
8. Why does Ibrahim Faraj refrain from having sex with Hamida?
9. What does Hamida believe rich people eat?
10. Why does Ibrahim Faraj select the name Titi for Hamida?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What effect on Mahfouz' storytelling was created by the fact that his audience had a low level of literacy and were unlikely to have ever read a novel before this one? What probable effects of those facts can you demonstrate in the text?
Essay Topic 2
A character foil is one whose characteristics provide a contrast to a main character. Is Hussain Kirsha a character foil for Abbas? Why or why not? Compare and contrast the characters of the two young men.
Essay Topic 3
There is often a difference between what a character says and what we are told the character actually thinks. Analyze at least two circumstances in which this is true. Discuss probable reasons why the characters do not speak frankly to one another.
This section contains 598 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)