|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Umma Hamida pleased with Salim Alwan's offer?
2. Why does Umm Hamida consult Radwan Hussainy about Salim Alwan's offer?
3. How does Salim Alwan deal with his family?
4. Who is the only person in constant motion in the cafe?
5. Where does Sheik Darwish live?
Short Essay Questions
1. What relationship does the Kirsha family have to Hamida?
2. What does Hamida believe rich people eat?
3. Waiting for the boy with whom he has become acquainted, Kirsha suffers the "bitterness of victory." What is the bitterness of victory?
4. What does Zaita promise he will do to help the beggar who is too big and strong to gain people's sympathy?
5. How do Hamida and her friends feel about the Jewish girls that work in Cairo?
6. What does Hamida hope when the handsome stranger first talks to her - a hope that is the exact opposite of what she says?
7. As the story ends, what are the residents of the alley preparing to celebrate?
8. How does Radwan Hussainy behave toward his wife that is in contrast to his treatment of all others?
9. Why do Abbas' words of love have an effect on Hamida although she does not care for him?
10. Why does Radwan Hussainy tell Salim Alwan that he is better off with his sickness than others are with their health?
Essay Topic 1
A protagonist in a story is the character who suffers most and learns most. Is there a single protagonist in this story? If so, who is the protagonist? Use evidence from the text to support your point of view.
Essay Topic 2
Radwan Hussainy says that evil is a form of weakness or illness, causing people to be unable to recognize the good that is around them. Consider the problem of evil in this story. Is Zaita evil? Is Ibrahim Faraj? Is Hamida? Decide upon your own definition of evil, and analyze at least two characters in light of your definition, using evidence from the text. Then determine whether you agree with Radwan Hussainy's definition.
Essay Topic 3
Mrs. Afify is superstitious. Describe her superstitions and the role they play in the plot.
This section contains 1,549 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)