|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Salim Alwan's company sell?
2. How has Dr. Booshy earned his title?
3. How many children does Mrs. Kirsha have?
4. What keeps Hamida from encouraging Salim Alwan?
5. Why were Zaita's parents happy when he was born?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Umm Hamida informs Mrs. Afify that she has found a new husband for her, she tells her that she will need to prepare her own trousseau, which is not what she actually means. What does she mean?
2. What bad habits does Mrs. Afify have?
3. When Mrs. Kirsha appeals to Radwan Hussainy for help, for whom does Radwan Hussainy pray first?
4. How does Kirsha react to the gossip about his homosexual adventures?
5. Why is Salim Alwan convinced that his employees are cheating him in spite of the fact that his careful auditing of the books shows no discrepancy?
6. How does Radwan Hussainy behave toward his wife that is in contrast to his treatment of all others?
7. Why does Abbas believe that Hamida feels the same attraction for him that he feels for her?
8. What is the difference between the way Abbas feels about Midaq Alley and the way Hussain Kirsha feels?
9. Why does Uncle Kamil have nothing more to do with Salim Alwan?
10. Why does Ibrahim Faraj refrain from having sex with Hamida?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Determine what the main theme of Midaq Alley is, and support your answer with evidence from the book. Where is this theme seen in the book? How is it exemplified? Who does it affect? What role does it have in the plot?
Essay Topic 2
A character foil is one whose characteristics provide a contrast to a main character. Is Hussain Kirsha a character foil for Abbas? Why or why not? Compare and contrast the characters of the two young men.
Essay Topic 3
Women in Midaq Alley have very limited spheres of action. What can they do to improve their situations? Consider their access to health care, education, employment, and marriage prospects.
This section contains 619 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)