|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Hussain Kirsha feel about his father's erotic adventures?
2. Why is Umma Hamida pleased with Salim Alwan's offer?
3. When does Zaita begin work?
4. Was is Radwan Hussainy an unusual landlord?
5. Why is Sheik Darwish always welcome?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Radwan Hussainy behave toward his wife that is in contrast to his treatment of all others?
2. Waiting for the boy with whom he has become acquainted, Kirsha suffers the "bitterness of victory." What is the bitterness of victory?
3. What is the difference between the way Abbas feels about Midaq Alley and the way Hussain Kirsha feels?
4. What conflicting emotions does Hamida feel for the stranger who keeps staring at her?
5. Why does Zaita claim that the best doctors in Egypt don't have the skill that he does?
6. Why does Radwan Hussainy advise Umm Hamida that Abbas will be a better husband for Hamida than Salim Alwan?
7. Why does Dr. Booshy dislike Mrs. Afify?
8. What bad habits does Mrs. Afify have?
9. To what does Radwan Hussain compare evil?
10. Why is Hamida pleased when Abbas says that what she has done will always stand between them?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Take Zaita's point of view and write an essay defending his method of earning a living.
Essay Topic 2
Consider the references to God in the story in terms of personal responsibility. Which characters seem to you to actually believe in God and try to conform their behavior to the teachings of the Qur'an? Are those that refer to God most the true believers? Discuss at least two characters in terms of their relation to deity, using examples from the text.
Essay Topic 3
The story ends as it began, with a description of the alley. Do you think that Mahfouz would agree with the statement, "The more things change, the more they remain the same?" Or would he agree with Sheikh Darwish's statement, "There's never a heart that doesn't change?" In your essay, take one side or the other and defend your position with facts from the text.
This section contains 682 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)