|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Hamida accept attention from Abbas?
2. How old is the photo Mrs. Afify sends to her suitor?
3. How does Radwan Hussainy advise Mrs. Kirsha to deal with her husband's weakness?
4. Why is Sheik Darwish always welcome?
5. What bad habits does Kirsha have?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Hamida pleased when Abbas says that what she has done will always stand between them?
2. What does Hamida believe rich people eat?
3. What does Jaada do that causes Husniya to beat him continually?
4. When Mrs. Kirsha appeals to Radwan Hussainy for help, for whom does Radwan Hussainy pray first?
5. What has caused Sheikh Darwish to weep and how so loudly that all the alley can hear him?
6. When Abbas comes home to the alley on holiday, Uncle Kamil follows him to the cafe, and then asks Abbas to return to the sweet shop with him. Why is Uncle Kamil staying so close to Abbas?
7. Waiting for the boy with whom he has become acquainted, Kirsha suffers the "bitterness of victory." What is the bitterness of victory?
8. Why does Radwan Hussainy advise Umm Hamida that Abbas will be a better husband for Hamida than Salim Alwan?
9. How does Hamida feel when Ibrahim Faraj begins to woo her?
10. Why does Hussain Kirsha say that Abbas should be an Italian rather than a Briton?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Take Zaita's point of view and write an essay defending his method of earning a living.
Essay Topic 2
Much of the conversation among alley residents contains old sayings that are familiar to them: "A good jug pours forth good water." It is always the carpenter's door that needs repair," " Only a fool refuses generosity." Scan through the book and select several of these proverbs to explain. Use the context in which they are spoken for your explanations.
Essay Topic 3
Analyze the effects of serialization on the structure of this story. Consider elements such as repetition, cliffhangers, gossip, and "tags" at the end of each chapter in which characters explain something that has happened to someone who doesn't know it yet. Find examples of each stylistic element of serialization and explain its use.
This section contains 702 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)