|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Zaita react to being compared with Jaada?
2. How does Hamida respond to Abbas' words of love?
3. What is Mrs. Kirsha's personality when she visits Radwan Hussainy?
4. How does Zaita know the intimate details of the bakers' lives?
5. How does Hamida react when she learns that Salim Alwan wants to marry her?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Hamida hope when the handsome stranger first talks to her - a hope that is the exact opposite of what she says?
2. What conflicting emotions does Hamida feel for the stranger who keeps staring at her?
3. Why do residents of the alley fear Umm Hamida?
4. Why does Kirsha come to Radwan Hussainy's home?
5. To what does Radwan Hussain compare evil?
6. How does Hamida feel when Ibrahim Faraj begins to woo her?
7. Why does Zaita claim that the best doctors in Egypt don't have the skill that he does?
8. When Abbas comes home to the alley on holiday, Uncle Kamil follows him to the cafe, and then asks Abbas to return to the sweet shop with him. Why is Uncle Kamil staying so close to Abbas?
9. How does Kirsha react to the gossip about his homosexual adventures?
10. What does Radwan Hussainy promise Abbas will happen if he returns to work and forgets about Hamida?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
A character foil is one whose characteristics provide a contrast to a main character. Is Hussain Kirsha a character foil for Abbas? Why or why not? Compare and contrast the characters of the two young men.
Essay Topic 2
A protagonist in a story is the character who suffers most and learns most. Is there a single protagonist in this story? If so, who is the protagonist? Use evidence from the text to support your point of view.
Essay Topic 3
Determine what the main theme of Midaq Alley is, and support your answer with evidence from the book. Where is this theme seen in the book? How is it exemplified? Who does it affect? What role does it have in the plot?
This section contains 703 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)