|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Radwan Hussainy invite Kirsha into his home?
2. What bad habits does Kirsha have?
3. Why is Uncle Kamil unafraid of dying?
4. What does Radwan Hussainy advise Mrs. Kirsha to do about her husband's behavior?
5. Why is Sheik Darwish always welcome?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the news about Dr. Booshy and Zaita being caught robbing graves affect Mrs. Afify?
2. Why do residents of the alley fear Umm Hamida?
3. Why does Salim Alwan envy those who die of a heart attack?
4. Why does Hussain Kirsha say that Abbas should be an Italian rather than a Briton?
5. How did Hamida feel when she was in Ibrahim Faraj's house?
6. As the story ends, what are the residents of the alley preparing to celebrate?
7. How does Radwan Hussainy feel about boredom?
8. Why is Hamida pleased when Abbas says that what she has done will always stand between them?
9. When Abbas comes home to the alley on holiday, Uncle Kamil follows him to the cafe, and then asks Abbas to return to the sweet shop with him. Why is Uncle Kamil staying so close to Abbas?
10. Of Abbas and Hussain Kirsha, which was first to leave the alley and which was first to return?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The story ends as it began, with a description of the alley. Do you think that Mahfouz would agree with the statement, "The more things change, the more they remain the same?" Or would he agree with Sheikh Darwish's statement, "There's never a heart that doesn't change?" In your essay, take one side or the other and defend your position with facts from the text.
Essay Topic 2
Take Zaita's point of view and write an essay defending his method of earning a living.
Essay Topic 3
Mrs. Afify is superstitious. Describe her superstitions and the role they play in the plot.
This section contains 645 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)