|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Was is Radwan Hussainy an unusual landlord?
2. How does Hamida react when she learns that Salim Alwan wants to marry her?
3. What are the professions of Salim Alwan's sons?
4. How is Radwan Hussainy regarded by pious men like himself?
5. How does Salim Alwan deal with his family?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Jaada do that causes Husniya to beat him continually?
2. Why does Kirsha wish success to Hitler?
3. Waiting for the boy with whom he has become acquainted, Kirsha suffers the "bitterness of victory." What is the bitterness of victory?
4. When Kirsha shows anger toward Sheikh Darwish, he appeals to Zainab. Who is she and why does Sheikh Darwish pray to her?
5. What has caused Sheikh Darwish to weep and how so loudly that all the alley can hear him?
6. What does Zaita promise he will do to help the beggar who is too big and strong to gain people's sympathy?
7. How does Hamida feel about questions of morality?
8. Why does Mrs. Kirsha go to Radwan Hussainy to complain of her husband's behavior?
9. Why does Radwan Hussainy feel guilty for the wrongdoing of Dr. Booshy and Zaita?
10. Which of the alley residents was most affected by the news of Abbas' tragic death?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Women in Midaq Alley have very limited spheres of action. What can they do to improve their situations? Consider their access to health care, education, employment, and marriage prospects.
Essay Topic 2
Analyze the character of Radwan Hussainy. How has he managed to live happily while enduring great sorrow and loss? What effect does his advice have on those who ask him for it? What do you see as Mahfouz' purpose in making Radwan Hussainy a central character in his depiction of the alley?
Essay Topic 3
Evaluate the character of Sheikh Darwish. What makes him a holy man? What effect do his pronouncements have on those around him? As a stylistic tool, he is used by Mahfouz for foreshadowing and explanation. Use examples of both in your analysis.
This section contains 689 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)