|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Hussain Kirsha feel about his father's erotic adventures?
2. Why is Uncle Kamil unafraid of dying?
3. How long will Abbas be in the service of the British army?
4. Why do people in the alley avoid Zaita?
5. What relation is Umm Hamida to Hamida?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Kirsha react to the gossip about his homosexual adventures?
2. How do Hamida and her friends feel about the Jewish girls that work in Cairo?
3. When Kirsha's wife comes to the cafe to assail him with his wrongdoing, he blames himself. Why does he think he deserves her wrath?
4. Why does Ibrahim Faraj refrain from having sex with Hamida?
5. Why does Dr. Booshy dislike Mrs. Afify?
6. When Kirsha shows anger toward Sheikh Darwish, he appeals to Zainab. Who is she and why does Sheikh Darwish pray to her?
7. How had Sheikh Darwish become a homeless man of God?
8. Why does Radwan Hussainy advise Umm Hamida that Abbas will be a better husband for Hamida than Salim Alwan?
9. Why do residents of the alley fear Umm Hamida?
10. Which of the alley residents was most affected by the news of Abbas' tragic death?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
A character foil is one whose characteristics provide a contrast to a main character. Is Hussain Kirsha a character foil for Abbas? Why or why not? Compare and contrast the characters of the two young men.
Essay Topic 2
Analyze the character of Radwan Hussainy. How has he managed to live happily while enduring great sorrow and loss? What effect does his advice have on those who ask him for it? What do you see as Mahfouz' purpose in making Radwan Hussainy a central character in his depiction of the alley?
Essay Topic 3
Consider the references to God in the story in terms of personal responsibility. Which characters seem to you to actually believe in God and try to conform their behavior to the teachings of the Qur'an? Are those that refer to God most the true believers? Discuss at least two characters in terms of their relation to deity, using examples from the text.
This section contains 1,548 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)