|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Umma Hamida pleased with Salim Alwan's offer?
(a) The marriage will make Hamida happy.
(b) The marriage will get Hamida out of her house.
(c) The marriage will be a professional success for her.
(d) The marriage will be a financial benefit to her.
2. Why does Umm Hamida consult Radwan Hussainy about Salim Alwan's offer?
(a) Radwan Hussainy is paid for his advice.
(b) Radwan Hussainy is a relative.
(c) Their family always relies on his advice.
(d) Their family has no other man to consult.
3. How does Salim Alwan deal with his family?
(a) He is distant and uninvolved.
(b) He is kind and generous.
(c) He is cruel and demanding.
(d) He is critical and demeaning.
4. Who is the only person in constant motion in the cafe?
(c) Mrs. Kirsha.
5. Where does Sheik Darwish live?
(a) He is homeless.
(b) He rents a room fro Kirsha.
(c) He lives in the cafe.
(d) He rents a room from Radwan Hussainy.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Hamida deal with moral issues?
2. Why does Mrs. Kirsha hesitate to confront Kirsha about his erotic adventures?
3. What does Mrs. Afify suspect is causing Umm Hamida to delay in finding her a husband?
4. How is Radwan Hussainy regarded by pious men like himself?
5. How does Hamida feel about Abbas?
Short Essay Questions
1. What relationship does the Kirsha family have to Hamida?
2. What does Hamida believe rich people eat?
3. Waiting for the boy with whom he has become acquainted, Kirsha suffers the "bitterness of victory." What is the bitterness of victory?
4. What does Zaita promise he will do to help the beggar who is too big and strong to gain people's sympathy?
5. How do Hamida and her friends feel about the Jewish girls that work in Cairo?
6. What does Hamida hope when the handsome stranger first talks to her - a hope that is the exact opposite of what she says?
7. As the story ends, what are the residents of the alley preparing to celebrate?
8. How does Radwan Hussainy behave toward his wife that is in contrast to his treatment of all others?
9. Why do Abbas' words of love have an effect on Hamida although she does not care for him?
10. Why does Radwan Hussainy tell Salim Alwan that he is better off with his sickness than others are with their health?
This section contains 722 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)