|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What keeps Hamida from encouraging Salim Alwan?
(a) He's too old for her.
(b) He's a married man and a father.
(c) He's not handsome enough for her.
(d) He's not rich enough for her.
2. Why does Abbas think Hamida talks of money rather than of love?
(a) Hamida's love for him has overwhelmed her.
(b) Poverty has colored Hamida's thinking.
(c) Hamida is only interested in money.
(d) Modesty conceals Hamida's real interest in him.
3. How does Zaita treat his clients?
(a) He is as cruel and vicious as possible.
(b) He is as fast and efficient as possible.
(c) He is as friendly and encouraging as possible.
(d) He is as kind and patient as possible.
4. Why does Kirsha say the neighbors gossip about him?
(a) They want to help him.
(b) They are shocked by his behavior
(c) They have always hated him.
(d) They are envious.
5. What does Abbas say is everything in life?
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Hamida fear marriage?
2. What tragedies have befallen Radwan Hussain?
3. How does the boy respond to Kirsha's invitation to come to his cafe?
4. Why is Umma Hamida pleased with Salim Alwan's offer?
5. How does Zaita react to being compared with Jaada?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Uncle Kamil have nothing more to do with Salim Alwan?
2. Why does Hussain Kirsha say that Abbas should be an Italian rather than a Briton?
3. Why does Radwan Hussainy tell Salim Alwan that he is better off with his sickness than others are with their health?
4. Why do residents of the alley fear Umm Hamida?
5. How did Hamida feel when she was in Ibrahim Faraj's house?
6. Why does Kirsha come to Radwan Hussainy's home?
7. When Mrs. Kirsha appeals to Radwan Hussainy for help, for whom does Radwan Hussainy pray first?
8. How could Salim Alwan earn the respected title of "bey?"
9. How does Radwan Hussainy behave toward his wife that is in contrast to his treatment of all others?
10. Why does Zaita claim that the best doctors in Egypt don't have the skill that he does?
This section contains 697 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)