|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What stops the engagement of Salim Alwan to Hamida?
(a) Mrs. Alwan stops Salim Alwan.
(b) Radwan Hussainy talks Salim Alwan out of the idea.
(c) Salim Alwan changes his mind.
(d) Salim Alwan has a heart attack.
2. Why is Uncle Kamil unafraid of dying?
(a) He has led a sinless life.
(b) His life is merely a prolonged sleep.
(c) He wants to be reunited with his wife.
(d) He is in constant pain.
3. Who is the only person in constant motion in the cafe?
(b) Mrs. Kirsha.
4. Why does Kirsha say the neighbors gossip about him?
(a) They want to help him.
(b) They are envious.
(c) They are shocked by his behavior
(d) They have always hated him.
5. How does Sanker disrespect the old poet?
(a) He calls him names.
(b) He demands that he leave the restaurant.
(c) He ignores his order for coffee.
(d) He closes the door in his face.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Hamida respond to Abbas' words of love?
2. How do the residents of the alley believe women should be treated?
3. What relation is Mrs. Kirsha to Hamida?
4. How often does Jaada go to the baths?
5. Why does Abbas say that Uncle Kamil is completely without profit for him?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Mrs. Kirsha go to Radwan Hussainy to complain of her husband's behavior?
2. How do Hamida and her friends feel about the Jewish girls that work in Cairo?
3. Why have Salim Alwan's sons drifted from the life of merchants and trade?
4. What is the difference between the way Abbas feels about Midaq Alley and the way Hussain Kirsha feels?
5. Why does Kirsha wish success to Hitler?
6. How did Hamida feel when she was in Ibrahim Faraj's house?
7. Why does the news about Dr. Booshy and Zaita being caught robbing graves affect Mrs. Afify?
8. How does Kirsha react to the gossip about his homosexual adventures?
9. As the story ends, what are the residents of the alley preparing to celebrate?
10. Why does Ibrahim Faraj refrain from having sex with Hamida?
This section contains 673 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)