|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How long will Abbas be in the service of the British army?
(a) A year or two.
(b) Less than a year.
(c) Five years.
(d) At least six months.
2. How does Hamida deal with moral issues?
(a) Hamida is instinctively moral.
(b) Morals are no part of Hamida's nature.
(c) Umm Hamida has taught Hamida morality.
(d) Radwan Hussainy has taught Hamida morality.
3. Why does Salim Alwan avoid a political career?
(a) He does not like politics.
(b) He makes more money in commerce.
(c) He does not understand politics.
(d) He has never been invited to participate in politics.
4. Why was Zaita happy as a child?
(a) He played at a swimming hole.
(b) His family took him to a summer resort.
(c) His family had a comfortable home in those days.
(d) The muddy sidewalk was a summer resort for him.
5. How is Radwan Hussainy regarded by pious men like himself?
(a) Radwan Hussainy is their teacher of the Qur'an.
(b) Radwan Hussainy is limited and weak.
(c) Radwan Hussainy is a scholar with great learning.
(d) Radwan Hussainy is a saintly man of god.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Kirsha reacts when Hussain says he really will leave home?
2. How is Hamida's engagement to Abbas confirmed?
3. How many children does Salim Alwan have?
4. How does Zaita help the strong man to become an efficient beggar?
5. Who is the only person in constant motion in the cafe?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the news about Dr. Booshy and Zaita being caught robbing graves affect Mrs. Afify?
2. What does Radwan Hussainy say can defeat all of life's tragedies?
3. What does Radwan Hussainy say is half of worshiping?
4. How long as Hamida been gone when Abbas comes home, and what efforts have been made to find her?
5. How does Kirsha react to the gossip about his homosexual adventures?
6. As the story ends, what are the residents of the alley preparing to celebrate?
7. To what does Radwan Hussain compare evil?
8. When Kirsha shows anger toward Sheikh Darwish, he appeals to Zainab. Who is she and why does Sheikh Darwish pray to her?
9. Why does Radwan Hussainy tell Salim Alwan that he is better off with his sickness than others are with their health?
10. Why do residents of the alley fear Umm Hamida?
This section contains 666 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)