|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Hamida feel about Abbas?
(a) Hamida secretly loves Abbas.
(b) Hamida neither likes nor dislikes Abbas.
(c) Hamida secretly hates Abbas.
(d) Hamida is secretly delighted with his attention.
2. How is Hamida's engagement to Abbas confirmed?
(a) By signing a contract.
(b) By giving Hamida a diamond ring.
(c) By pledging before witnesses.
(d) By the reading of the Qur'an.
3. What does Kirsha believe is replacing public recitations?
(a) Individual memorization.
(c) Musical performers.
(d) The radio.
4. What does Kirsha mean when he says a "galman"?
(a) A neat, clean person.
(b) A gentleman.
(c) A new type of hashish.
(d) A Briton.
5. What does Salim Alwan believe that Allah has done to make men's lives easier?
(a) Provided for them to take more than one wife.
(b) Made sharp bargaining acceptable.
(c) Made hashish legal.
(d) Provided for them to marry one woman.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Zaita help the strong man to become an efficient beggar?
2. Why do patients accept Dr. Booshy's painful cures?
3. What do his jealous friends call Hussain Kirsha?
4. What does Husniya tell Zaita he must do before he can talk to people?
5. What does Salim Alwan's company sell?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why have Salim Alwan's sons drifted from the life of merchants and trade?
2. When Abbas comes home to the alley on holiday, Uncle Kamil follows him to the cafe, and then asks Abbas to return to the sweet shop with him. Why is Uncle Kamil staying so close to Abbas?
3. Which of the alley residents was most affected by the news of Abbas' tragic death?
4. Why does Kirsha wish success to Hitler?
5. What does Zaita promise he will do to help the beggar who is too big and strong to gain people's sympathy?
6. Why does Hussain Kirsha say that Abbas should be an Italian rather than a Briton?
7. Why does Ibrahim Faraj refrain from having sex with Hamida?
8. What does Hamida decide that she will demand from Ibrahim Faraj before she goes away with him?
9. Why does Radwan Hussainy tell Salim Alwan that he is better off with his sickness than others are with their health?
10. Why has Salim Alwan decided to take a second wife?
This section contains 657 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)