|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Salim Alwan want from Hamida?
(a) He wants her to be mistress.
(b) He wants to adopt her.
(c) He wants her to be his second wife.
(d) He wants her to work in his business.
2. What effect has personal sorrow had on Radwan Hussainy?
(a) It has made him sorrowful and despairing.
(b) It has made him pessimistic and fearful.
(c) It has made him loving and patient.
(d) It has made him cruel and unforgiving.
3. What does Abbas say is everything in life?
4. Why does Abbas think Hamida talks of money rather than of love?
(a) Hamida's love for him has overwhelmed her.
(b) Hamida is only interested in money.
(c) Poverty has colored Hamida's thinking.
(d) Modesty conceals Hamida's real interest in him.
5. What keeps Hamida from encouraging Salim Alwan?
(a) He's a married man and a father.
(b) He's not handsome enough for her.
(c) He's not rich enough for her.
(d) He's too old for her.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Hussain Kirsha feel about his father's erotic adventures?
2. What does Husniya tell Zaita he must do before he can talk to people?
3. Why does Hamida fear marriage?
4. Why does Zaita never refer to himself as "doctor?"
5. What does Radwan Hussainy advise Mrs. Kirsha to do about her husband's behavior?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Umm Hamida informs Mrs. Afify that she has found a new husband for her, she tells her that she will need to prepare her own trousseau, which is not what she actually means. What does she mean?
2. How does Hamida feel when Ibrahim Faraj begins to woo her?
3. How does Radwan Hussainy behave toward his wife that is in contrast to his treatment of all others?
4. Why does Ibrahim Faraj select the name Titi for Hamida?
5. What does Radwan Hussainy say is half of worshiping?
6. What is the difference between the way Abbas feels about Midaq Alley and the way Hussain Kirsha feels?
7. Why does Zaita claim that the best doctors in Egypt don't have the skill that he does?
8. How had Sheikh Darwish become a homeless man of God?
9. What does Zaita promise he will do to help the beggar who is too big and strong to gain people's sympathy?
10. What does Hamida mean when she quotes the saying to her foster mother, "It's always the carpenter's door that's falling apart?"
This section contains 718 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)