|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Sheikh Darwish say about Abbas' love of Hamida?
(a) "The meaning of this in English is tragedy."
(b) "The meaning of this in English is joy."
(c) "The meaning of this in English is romance."
(d) "The meaning of this in English is confusion."
2. Why does Hamida envy Jewish girls?
(a) They have automobiles.
(b) They have nice clothes.
(c) They have jobs.
(d) They have boyfriends.
3. What do Hussain Kirsha's modern friends have that he envies?
(b) Steady employment.
4. How does Hamida feel about Abbas?
(a) Hamida neither likes nor dislikes Abbas.
(b) Hamida secretly loves Abbas.
(c) Hamida is secretly delighted with his attention.
(d) Hamida secretly hates Abbas.
5. What keeps Hamida from encouraging Salim Alwan?
(a) He's too old for her.
(b) He's not rich enough for her.
(c) He's not handsome enough for her.
(d) He's a married man and a father.
Short Answer Questions
1. What effect has personal sorrow had on Radwan Hussainy?
2. What does Husniya tell Zaita he must do before he can talk to people?
3. How long has the poet been reciting in Kirsha's cafe?
4. What does Kirsha mean when he says a "galman"?
5. How many children does Salim Alwan have?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Hamida feel when she was in Ibrahim Faraj's house?
2. Why does Uncle Kamil have nothing more to do with Salim Alwan?
3. What does Radwan Hussainy say is half of worshiping?
4. When Hussain Kirsha returns home in a sorry state, who does he blame for his troubles?
5. What has caused Sheikh Darwish to weep and how so loudly that all the alley can hear him?
6. Why does Zaita claim that the best doctors in Egypt don't have the skill that he does?
7. Why does Kirsha wish success to Hitler?
8. How do Hamida and her friends feel about the Jewish girls that work in Cairo?
9. What relationship does the Kirsha family have to Hamida?
10. What does Ibrahim Faraj tell Hamida that marriage leads to?
This section contains 596 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)