|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Mrs. Kirsha hesitate to confront Kirsha about his erotic adventures?
(a) She is afraid of his anger.
(b) She does not want her son to find out.
(c) She does not want to provide scandal for the gossips.
(d) She does not want to hurt his feelings.
2. How does Radwan Hussainy advise Mrs. Kirsha to deal with her husband's weakness?
(a) Radwan Hussainy advises Mrs. Kirsha to seek divorce.
(b) Radwan Hussainy advises Mrs. Kirsha to pray.
(c) Radwan Hussainy advises Mrs. Kirsha to teach her husband.
(d) Radway Hussainy advises Mrs. Kirsha to keep her husband's weakness secret.
3. How does the boy respond to Kirsha's invitation to come to his cafe?
(a) "If you want to eat, you must tire yourself out."
(b) "Only a fool refuses generosity!"
(c) "A good jug pours forth good water."
(d) "May God forgive your evil thoughts!"
4. How is Hamida's engagement to Abbas confirmed?
(a) By signing a contract.
(b) By giving Hamida a diamond ring.
(c) By pledging before witnesses.
(d) By the reading of the Qur'an.
5. Why were Zaita's parents happy when he was born?
(a) His laughter delighted them.
(b) They no longer had to rent a baby to beg with.
(c) His beauty delighted them.
(d) They were proud to have a son.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Salim Alwan eat for lunch each day?
2. Why do patients accept Dr. Booshy's painful cures?
3. What does Abbas say that falling in love has done for him?
4. How does Zaita react to being compared with Jaada?
5. What does Abbas say is everything in life?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Ibrahim Faraj tell Hamida that marriage leads to?
2. What relationship does the Kirsha family have to Hamida?
3. When Hussain Kirsha returns home in a sorry state, who does he blame for his troubles?
4. Why is Hamida pleased when Abbas says that what she has done will always stand between them?
5. To what does Radwan Hussain compare evil?
6. What does Zaita promise he will do to help the beggar who is too big and strong to gain people's sympathy?
7. What is the difference between the way Abbas feels about Midaq Alley and the way Hussain Kirsha feels?
8. Why does Radwan Hussainy tell Salim Alwan that he is better off with his sickness than others are with their health?
9. Why do Abbas' words of love have an effect on Hamida although she does not care for him?
10. Why have Salim Alwan's sons drifted from the life of merchants and trade?
This section contains 727 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)