|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Radwan Hussainy advise Mrs. Kirsha to do about her husband's behavior?
(a) Leave him to God.
(b) Turn him in to authorities.
(c) Try to win him back.
(d) Flee from his house.
2. What tragedies have befallen Radwan Hussain?
(a) Failed university exams and the death of his children.
(b) The death of his children and the loss of his friends.
(c) The death of his wife and his failed university exams.
(d) The loss of his fortune and the death of his wife.
3. Why does Zaita never refer to himself as "doctor?"
(a) Because he has no respect for doctors.
(b) Out of respect for Dr. Booshy.
(c) Because people would laugh at him.
(d) Out of fear of calling attention to himself.
4. What stops the engagement of Salim Alwan to Hamida?
(a) Salim Alwan has a heart attack.
(b) Radwan Hussainy talks Salim Alwan out of the idea.
(c) Salim Alwan changes his mind.
(d) Mrs. Alwan stops Salim Alwan.
5. What does Salim Alwan's lunch do for him?
(a) It helps him to nap.
(b) It is an aphrodisiac.
(c) It gives him unusual energy for work.
(d) It makes him cheerful.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Kirsha openly invite the boy to the cafe in front of everyone?
2. Why does Abbas say that Uncle Kamil is completely without profit for him?
3. How long has the poet been reciting in Kirsha's cafe?
4. Why do patients accept Dr. Booshy's painful cures?
5. What does Kirsha mean when he says a "galman"?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Hamida feel when Ibrahim Faraj begins to woo her?
2. Why does Ibrahim Faraj select the name Titi for Hamida?
3. What conflicting emotions does Hamida feel for the stranger who keeps staring at her?
4. Why does Dr. Booshy dislike Mrs. Afify?
5. How does Kirsha react to the gossip about his homosexual adventures?
6. How does Radwan Hussainy behave toward his wife that is in contrast to his treatment of all others?
7. What change takes place in Kirsha's cafe in Chapter One and what does this change represent?
8. When Kirsha shows anger toward Sheikh Darwish, he appeals to Zainab. Who is she and why does Sheikh Darwish pray to her?
9. When Umm Hamida informs Mrs. Afify that she has found a new husband for her, she tells her that she will need to prepare her own trousseau, which is not what she actually means. What does she mean?
10. Why does Radwan Hussainy tell Salim Alwan that he is better off with his sickness than others are with their health?
This section contains 756 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)