|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Mrs. Kirsha's personality when she visits Radwan Hussainy?
(a) Mrs. Kirsha is fearless and shameless.
(b) Mrs. Kirsha is shy and diffident.
(c) Mrs. Kirsha is hesitant and unsure of herself.
(d) Mrs. Kirsha is fearful and ashamed.
2. Why does Hamida envy Jewish girls?
(a) They have boyfriends.
(b) They have jobs.
(c) They have nice clothes.
(d) They have automobiles.
3. Why do patients accept Dr. Booshy's painful cures?
(a) His fees are so low.
(b) They believe he is the best.
(c) They believe pain is inescapable.
(d) They believe pain is the best healer.
4. What does Mrs. Afify want from Umm Hamida?
(b) A love potion.
(c) More rent.
(d) A husband.
5. What trick does Abbas play on Uncle Kamil?
(a) Abbas convinces Uncle Kamil that he will live much longer.
(b) Abbas convinces Uncle Kamil that he will pay for his burial.
(c) Abbas convinces Uncle Kamil that he will never die.
(d) Abbas convinces Uncle Kamil that he has bought him a nice shroud.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Salim Alwan avoid a political career?
2. What does Hamida believe is everything in life?
3. Why is Kirsha poor?
4. What does Salim Alwan believe that Allah has done to make men's lives easier?
5. How many children does Mrs. Kirsha have?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Radwan Hussainy say can defeat all of life's tragedies?
2. How does Radwan Hussainy feel about boredom?
3. What change takes place in Kirsha's cafe in Chapter One and what does this change represent?
4. When Kirsha shows anger toward Sheikh Darwish, he appeals to Zainab. Who is she and why does Sheikh Darwish pray to her?
5. Why does Uncle Kamil have nothing more to do with Salim Alwan?
6. What does Jaada do that causes Husniya to beat him continually?
7. Why does Zaita claim that the best doctors in Egypt don't have the skill that he does?
8. What does Hamida mean when she quotes the saying to her foster mother, "It's always the carpenter's door that's falling apart?"
9. What does Radwan Hussainy say is half of worshiping?
10. What has caused Sheikh Darwish to weep and how so loudly that all the alley can hear him?
This section contains 659 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)