|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Mrs. Kirsha's personality when she visits Radwan Hussainy?
(a) Mrs. Kirsha is fearful and ashamed.
(b) Mrs. Kirsha is hesitant and unsure of herself.
(c) Mrs. Kirsha is shy and diffident.
(d) Mrs. Kirsha is fearless and shameless.
2. Why were Zaita's parents happy when he was born?
(a) His laughter delighted them.
(b) They were proud to have a son.
(c) They no longer had to rent a baby to beg with.
(d) His beauty delighted them.
3. How many children does Mrs. Kirsha have?
4. How does Radwan Hussainy advise Mrs. Kirsha to deal with her husband's weakness?
(a) Radway Hussainy advises Mrs. Kirsha to keep her husband's weakness secret.
(b) Radwan Hussainy advises Mrs. Kirsha to seek divorce.
(c) Radwan Hussainy advises Mrs. Kirsha to pray.
(d) Radwan Hussainy advises Mrs. Kirsha to teach her husband.
5. What does Salim Alwan's company sell?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the only person in constant motion in the cafe?
2. How does Zaita help the strong man to become an efficient beggar?
3. What does Husniya tell Zaita he must do before he can talk to people?
4. What relation is Mrs. Kirsha to Hamida?
5. Why does Zaita never refer to himself as "doctor?"
Short Essay Questions
1. Why have Salim Alwan's sons drifted from the life of merchants and trade?
2. What does Hamida decide that she will demand from Ibrahim Faraj before she goes away with him?
3. Why does Uncle Kamil have nothing more to do with Salim Alwan?
4. How could Salim Alwan earn the respected title of "bey?"
5. What change takes place in Kirsha's cafe in Chapter One and what does this change represent?
6. Why do residents of the alley fear Umm Hamida?
7. How does Hamida feel when Ibrahim Faraj begins to woo her?
8. What does Radwan Hussainy say is half of worshiping?
9. Why does Ibrahim Faraj select the name Titi for Hamida?
10. What does Jaada do that causes Husniya to beat him continually?
This section contains 637 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)