|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Hamida believe is the key to the entire world?
(a) True love.
(b) Good looks.
(d) Reliable friends.
2. How does Hussain Kirsha convince Abbas to go to work for the British?
(a) Hussain Kirsha tells Abbas that the British are the Egyptians' true friends.
(b) Hussain Kirsha tells Abbas his life is boring.
(c) Hussain Kirsha tells Abbas he will never win Hamida unless he does.
(d) Hussain Kirsha tells Abbas that no one in the alley cares for him.
3. What does Hamida feel for Abbas as they walk together?
(a) Deep curiosity.
(b) Intense attraction.
(c) Intense aversion.
(d) Neither attraction nor aversion.
4. What relation is Mrs. Kirsha to Hamida?
(a) She was a wet nurse to the child.
(b) She is her aunt.
(c) She is secretly her mother.
(d) She is her foster mother.
5. Why does Sheikh Darwish think Kirsha should love his wife?
(a) She has put up with him for years.
(b) She is the most beautiful woman in the alley.
(c) She is more male than female.
(d) She is a loving, patient woman.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Kirsha blame himself for his wife's behavior?
2. How many children does Salim Alwan have?
3. How does Salim Alwan deal with his family?
4. Why was Zaita happy as a child?
5. What does Kirsha believe is replacing public recitations?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Jaada do that causes Husniya to beat him continually?
2. What relationship does the Kirsha family have to Hamida?
3. What does Radwan Hussainy promise Abbas will happen if he returns to work and forgets about Hamida?
4. Why is Salim Alwan convinced that his employees are cheating him in spite of the fact that his careful auditing of the books shows no discrepancy?
5. What bad habits does Mrs. Afify have?
6. What does Zaita promise he will do to help the beggar who is too big and strong to gain people's sympathy?
7. Why does Dr. Booshy suffer when he goes with Zaita to rob graves?
8. Why is Hamida pleased when Abbas says that what she has done will always stand between them?
9. Why does Mrs. Kirsha go to Radwan Hussainy to complain of her husband's behavior?
10. How does Radwan Hussainy behave toward his wife that is in contrast to his treatment of all others?
This section contains 700 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)