|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Kirsha poor?
(a) Kirsha's cafe does not make a profit.
(b) Kirsha squanders his money.
(c) Kirsha's money goes to support Hussain Kirsha's lifestyle.
(d) Mrs. Kirsha takes all his money.
2. What bad habits does Kirsha have?
(a) Hashish and relations with boys.
(b) Tobacco and lying.
(c) Coffee and tobacco.
(d) Alcohol and hashish.
3. How many children does Salim Alwan have?
4. What does Hussain Kirsha hope Hitler will do?
(c) Commit suicide.
(d) Fight for another twenty years.
5. How does Hamida feel about Abbas?
(a) Hamida secretly loves Abbas.
(b) Hamida neither likes nor dislikes Abbas.
(c) Hamida secretly hates Abbas.
(d) Hamida is secretly delighted with his attention.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Hamida deal with moral issues?
2. Why do people in the alley avoid Zaita?
3. What does Radwan Hussainy pray for when he learns of Mrs. Kirsha's trouble?
4. What do Hussain Kirsha's modern friends have that he envies?
5. How does Hussain Kirsha convince Abbas to go to work for the British?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Dr. Booshy suffer when he goes with Zaita to rob graves?
2. When Abbas comes home to the alley on holiday, Uncle Kamil follows him to the cafe, and then asks Abbas to return to the sweet shop with him. Why is Uncle Kamil staying so close to Abbas?
3. How do Hamida and her friends feel about the Jewish girls that work in Cairo?
4. Why has Salim Alwan decided to take a second wife?
5. When Umm Hamida informs Mrs. Afify that she has found a new husband for her, she tells her that she will need to prepare her own trousseau, which is not what she actually means. What does she mean?
6. What change takes place in Kirsha's cafe in Chapter One and what does this change represent?
7. Why does Radwan Hussainy feel guilty for the wrongdoing of Dr. Booshy and Zaita?
8. What does Radwan Hussainy promise Abbas will happen if he returns to work and forgets about Hamida?
9. Why does Abbas believe that Hamida feels the same attraction for him that he feels for her?
10. When Kirsha's wife comes to the cafe to assail him with his wrongdoing, he blames himself. Why does he think he deserves her wrath?
This section contains 750 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)