|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Hamida fear marriage?
(a) Hamidais afraid she won't have children.
(b) Hamida loves clothes and hates children.
(c) Hamida is afraid she cannot be a worthy wife.
(d) Hamida loves children and hates clothes.
2. What does Radwan Hussainy advise Mrs. Kirsha to do about her husband's behavior?
(a) Leave him to God.
(b) Flee from his house.
(c) Turn him in to authorities.
(d) Try to win him back.
3. Why does Abbas say that Uncle Kamil is completely without profit for him?
(a) Uncle Kamil takes more than his half of the food they share.
(b) Uncle Kamil never pays his bills.
(c) Uncle Kamil doesn't pay his share of the rent.
(d) Uncle Kamil has no hair to cut.
4. What does Hamida believe is everything in life?
5. How does Hamida react when she learns that Salim Alwan wants to marry her?
(a) Hamida determines to be loyal to Abbas.
(b) Hamida is outraged.
(c) Hamida reminds Umm Hamida that she is already engaged.
(d) Hamida is pleased.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Sanker disrespect the old poet?
2. What does Mrs. Afify want from Umm Hamida?
3. What does Mrs. Afify suspect is causing Umm Hamida to delay in finding her a husband?
4. What does Zaita say is the most precious deformity a beggar can have?
5. What is Mrs. Kirsha's personality when she visits Radwan Hussainy?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Hamida feel when Ibrahim Faraj begins to woo her?
2. Why is Hamida pleased when Abbas says that what she has done will always stand between them?
3. Why do residents of the alley fear Umm Hamida?
4. When Abbas comes home to the alley on holiday, Uncle Kamil follows him to the cafe, and then asks Abbas to return to the sweet shop with him. Why is Uncle Kamil staying so close to Abbas?
5. Why does Radwan Hussainy feel guilty for the wrongdoing of Dr. Booshy and Zaita?
6. What does Zaita promise he will do to help the beggar who is too big and strong to gain people's sympathy?
7. What does Hamida hope when the handsome stranger first talks to her - a hope that is the exact opposite of what she says?
8. What does Hamida decide that she will demand from Ibrahim Faraj before she goes away with him?
9. As the story ends, what are the residents of the alley preparing to celebrate?
10. What bad habits does Mrs. Afify have?
This section contains 694 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)