|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Radwan Hussainy invite Kirsha into his home?
(a) "The man who reforms a profligate is better than the man who sits with a believer."
(b) "God blesses those who serve the poor."
(c) "The home of the righteous is sealed against evil."
(d) "A good jug gives forth good water."
2. What bad habits does Kirsha have?
(a) Tobacco and lying.
(b) Alcohol and hashish.
(c) Coffee and tobacco.
(d) Hashish and relations with boys.
3. How does Zaita treat his clients?
(a) He is as cruel and vicious as possible.
(b) He is as fast and efficient as possible.
(c) He is as kind and patient as possible.
(d) He is as friendly and encouraging as possible.
4. What does Salim Alwan want from Hamida?
(a) He wants her to be his second wife.
(b) He wants her to work in his business.
(c) He wants her to be mistress.
(d) He wants to adopt her.
5. Why was Zaita happy as a child?
(a) His family had a comfortable home in those days.
(b) He played at a swimming hole.
(c) His family took him to a summer resort.
(d) The muddy sidewalk was a summer resort for him.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Abbas think Hamida talks of money rather than of love?
2. Why does Kirsha say the neighbors gossip about him?
3. Who is the only person in constant motion in the cafe?
4. How long has the poet been reciting in Kirsha's cafe?
5. How does Sanker disrespect the old poet?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do Abbas' words of love have an effect on Hamida although she does not care for him?
2. Of Abbas and Hussain Kirsha, which was first to leave the alley and which was first to return?
3. How does Radwan Hussainy behave toward his wife that is in contrast to his treatment of all others?
4. Why does Uncle Kamil have nothing more to do with Salim Alwan?
5. When Kirsha shows anger toward Sheikh Darwish, he appeals to Zainab. Who is she and why does Sheikh Darwish pray to her?
6. What has caused Sheikh Darwish to weep and how so loudly that all the alley can hear him?
7. When Mrs. Kirsha appeals to Radwan Hussainy for help, for whom does Radwan Hussainy pray first?
8. What does Zaita promise he will do to help the beggar who is too big and strong to gain people's sympathy?
9. Why is Hamida pleased when Abbas says that what she has done will always stand between them?
10. Why does Ibrahim Faraj select the name Titi for Hamida?
This section contains 694 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)