|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why do people in the alley avoid Zaita?
(a) His offensive odor.
(b) His offensive profession.
(c) His unfriendly attitude.
(d) His thieving nature.
2. How does Zaita help the strong man to become an efficient beggar?
(a) He disfigures his face.
(b) He amputates an arm.
(c) He teaches him to behave like an imbecile.
(d) He blinds him.
3. Why do the residents of the alley think they've been suffering during the war?
(a) Due to their own wickedness.
(b) Due to the wickedness of the British.
(c) Due to the malice of the gods.
(d) Due to random chance.
4. Why does Abbas think Hamida talks of money rather than of love?
(a) Modesty conceals Hamida's real interest in him.
(b) Hamida is only interested in money.
(c) Poverty has colored Hamida's thinking.
(d) Hamida's love for him has overwhelmed her.
5. How many children does Mrs. Kirsha have?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mrs. Afify want from Umm Hamida?
2. How old is the photo Mrs. Afify sends to her suitor?
3. How does Husniya react when Zaita reveals himself to her?
4. How does Kirsha defend his lustful conduct?
5. What does Mrs. Afify suspect is causing Umm Hamida to delay in finding her a husband?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why has Salim Alwan decided to take a second wife?
2. Why does Ibrahim Faraj select the name Titi for Hamida?
3. How does Radwan Hussainy feel about boredom?
4. Which of the alley residents was most affected by the news of Abbas' tragic death?
5. Why have Salim Alwan's sons drifted from the life of merchants and trade?
6. What does Hamida believe rich people eat?
7. What conflicting emotions does Hamida feel for the stranger who keeps staring at her?
8. What does Zaita promise he will do to help the beggar who is too big and strong to gain people's sympathy?
9. Why does Abbas believe that Hamida feels the same attraction for him that he feels for her?
10. Why does Dr. Booshy dislike Mrs. Afify?
This section contains 620 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)