|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Kirsha poor?
(a) Kirsha's cafe does not make a profit.
(b) Kirsha squanders his money.
(c) Mrs. Kirsha takes all his money.
(d) Kirsha's money goes to support Hussain Kirsha's lifestyle.
2. How does Zaita react to being compared with Jaada?
(a) He is encouraged in his pursuit of Husniya.
(b) He is flattered.
(c) He is insulted.
(d) He is unsurprised.
3. What does Hamida believe is everything in life?
4. Who is the only person in constant motion in the cafe?
(b) Mrs. Kirsha.
5. Why does Radwan Hussainy invite Kirsha into his home?
(a) "The home of the righteous is sealed against evil."
(b) "God blesses those who serve the poor."
(c) "The man who reforms a profligate is better than the man who sits with a believer."
(d) "A good jug gives forth good water."
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Abbas say is everything in life?
2. What do his jealous friends call Hussain Kirsha?
3. What effect has personal sorrow had on Radwan Hussainy?
4. How has Dr. Booshy earned his title?
5. Why do patients accept Dr. Booshy's painful cures?
Short Essay Questions
1. What conflicting emotions does Hamida feel for the stranger who keeps staring at her?
2. What change takes place in Kirsha's cafe in Chapter One and what does this change represent?
3. What does Zaita promise he will do to help the beggar who is too big and strong to gain people's sympathy?
4. When Kirsha's wife comes to the cafe to assail him with his wrongdoing, he blames himself. Why does he think he deserves her wrath?
5. What is the difference between the way Abbas feels about Midaq Alley and the way Hussain Kirsha feels?
6. Why does Salim Alwan envy those who die of a heart attack?
7. Why does Ibrahim Faraj select the name Titi for Hamida?
8. How does Hamida feel about questions of morality?
9. Why have Salim Alwan's sons drifted from the life of merchants and trade?
10. Why does Kirsha wish success to Hitler?
This section contains 656 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)