|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Hamida envy Jewish girls?
(a) They have nice clothes.
(b) They have automobiles.
(c) They have boyfriends.
(d) They have jobs.
2. Where does Sheik Darwish live?
(a) He is homeless.
(b) He lives in the cafe.
(c) He rents a room from Radwan Hussainy.
(d) He rents a room fro Kirsha.
3. How does Zaita react to being compared with Jaada?
(a) He is flattered.
(b) He is insulted.
(c) He is unsurprised.
(d) He is encouraged in his pursuit of Husniya.
4. How much older is Mrs. Afify than her prospective husband?
(a) Twenty years.
(b) Fifteen years.
(c) Ten years.
(d) Two years.
5. How old is the photo Mrs. Afify sends to her suitor?
(a) Six years.
(b) Two years.
(c) It is new.
(d) Ten years.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many children does Mrs. Kirsha have?
2. What does Kirsha mean when he says a "galman"?
3. What does Mrs. Afify want from Umm Hamida?
4. How has Dr. Booshy earned his title?
5. How is Hamida's engagement to Abbas confirmed?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Hamida and her friends feel about the Jewish girls that work in Cairo?
2. When Kirsha shows anger toward Sheikh Darwish, he appeals to Zainab. Who is she and why does Sheikh Darwish pray to her?
3. What has caused Sheikh Darwish to weep and how so loudly that all the alley can hear him?
4. Why is Hamida pleased when Abbas says that what she has done will always stand between them?
5. How long as Hamida been gone when Abbas comes home, and what efforts have been made to find her?
6. Why has Salim Alwan decided to take a second wife?
7. Of Abbas and Hussain Kirsha, which was first to leave the alley and which was first to return?
8. Why do Abbas' words of love have an effect on Hamida although she does not care for him?
9. When Umm Hamida informs Mrs. Afify that she has found a new husband for her, she tells her that she will need to prepare her own trousseau, which is not what she actually means. What does she mean?
10. Why does Kirsha come to Radwan Hussainy's home?
This section contains 637 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)