|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How has Dr. Booshy earned his title?
(a) He studied at the university in Cairo.
(b) He studied dentistry abroad.
(c) He was apprenticed to a dentist.
(d) His patients call him "doctor."
2. What does Mrs. Afify suspect is causing Umm Hamida to delay in finding her a husband?
(a) Umm Hamida is distracted by Hamida's engagement.
(b) Umm Hamida can't find a suitable man.
(c) Umm Hamida wants more money than they agreed upon.
(d) Umm Hamida is taking the best man for herself.
3. What does Abbas say that falling in love has done for him?
(a) "It's brought me great happiness."
(b) "It's ruined my life."
(c) "It's made a new person of me."
(d) "It's made me content with the alley."
4. How many children does Mrs. Kirsha have?
5. Why does Hamida envy Jewish girls?
(a) They have jobs.
(b) They have boyfriends.
(c) They have automobiles.
(d) They have nice clothes.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Hamida feel for Abbas as they walk together?
2. How does Kirsha reacts when Hussain says he really will leave home?
3. Was is Radwan Hussainy an unusual landlord?
4. What do Hussain Kirsha's modern friends have that he envies?
5. Why does Hamida fear marriage?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do residents of the alley fear Umm Hamida?
2. Why does Mrs. Kirsha go to Radwan Hussainy to complain of her husband's behavior?
3. Why does Ibrahim Faraj refrain from having sex with Hamida?
4. How long as Hamida been gone when Abbas comes home, and what efforts have been made to find her?
5. What does Hamida hope when the handsome stranger first talks to her - a hope that is the exact opposite of what she says?
6. To what does Radwan Hussain compare evil?
7. What does Zaita promise he will do to help the beggar who is too big and strong to gain people's sympathy?
8. Why does Ibrahim Faraj select the name Titi for Hamida?
9. How does Radwan Hussainy feel about boredom?
10. How does Kirsha react to the gossip about his homosexual adventures?
This section contains 605 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)