|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Abbas respond to his first drink of alcohol?
(a) He says it is horrible.
(b) He says it is wonderful.
(c) He says it is delightful.
(d) He says it is cheering.
2. What does Hamida feel when she unexpectedly encounters Abbas?
(a) Shame and humiliation.
(b) Relief and hope.
(c) Contempt and animosity.
(d) Love and adoration.
3. What is the first thing Ibrahim Faraj makes Hamida change?
(a) Her hairstyle.
(b) Her wardrobe.
(c) Her name.
(d) Her manners.
4. Why do the boys advise Uncle Kamil to put up a poster of Ibrahim Farhat, the candidate?
(a) Ibrahim Farhat is fond of sweets.
(b) Uncle Kamil would be wise to take his side.
(c) Ibrahim Farhat is the best candidate.
(d) If Farhat sees the poster, he will be all of Uncle Kamil's sweets.
5. Where does the English instructor say the girls learn English best?
(a) In conversation with each other.
(b) In classrooms.
(c) In textbooks.
(d) In taverns and hotels.
6. Why does Salim Alwan deprive his household of good food?
(a) So that they have to share the restrictions he has.
(b) So that they will be strengthened.
(c) So that they can save money.
(d) So that they will be healthier.
7. How does Hamida see the choice Ibrahim Faraj offers her?
(a) Innocence and crime.
(b) A dull past or an exciting future.
(c) Solitude or marriage.
(d) Virtue and vice.
8. What happens to Zaita and Dr. Booshy in the tombs?
(a) They are arrested.
(b) They are trapped inside.
(c) They get scared and run away.
(d) They can't find the gold teeth.
9. What does Hamida have that proves her popularity with the soldiers?
(b) Beautiful clothes.
10. How long has Hamida been missing when Abbas returns?
(a) Two days.
(b) Two months.
(c) Two years.
(d) Two weeks.
11. Why does Zaita insist Dr. Booshy accompany him into the tombs?
(a) Zaita is fearful and needs support.
(b) Zaita enjoys torturing Dr. Booshy.
(c) Dr. Booshy is stronger.
(d) Zaita needs someone to hold the light.
12. What does Ibrahim Faraj say pimps are?
(a) Partners in crime.
(b) Caretakers of beauty.
(c) Shrewd money makers.
(d) Stockbrokers of happiness.
13. How much does Ibrahim Farhat offer Kirsha for his support?
(a) Fifteen pounds.
(b) Ten pounds.
(c) Fifty pounds.
(d) Twenty pounds.
14. Why does Salim Alwan apologize to Sheikh Darwish?
(a) Salim Alwan is genuinely humbled.
(b) A sick man should not anger one of God's holy men.
(c) Sheikh Darwish's howling is embarrassing.
(d) Salim Alwan is anxious to please Sheikh Darwish.
15. How does Hamida feel about the stranger's constant attention?
(a) Disinterested and bored.
(b) Thrilled and pleased.
(c) Fascinated and infuriated.
(d) Frightened and worried.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Kirsha support in the election?
2. Why is Hussain Kirsha laid off by the British?
3. Who does Hussain Kirsha blame for his failures?
4. What does the stranger say is the last thing new lovers learn about each other?
5. What is the first class to which Ibrahim Faraj takes Hamida?
This section contains 511 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)