|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Hamida think she will never eat lentils again?
(a) Lentils are the food of the poor.
(b) She won't have time to cook.
(c) Lentils are difficult to find in the city.
(d) Lentils are fattening.
2. Why does Salim Alwan cling to his unpleasant life?
(a) He enjoys making business deals.
(b) He is hoping his life will improve.
(c) He is afraid of the afterlife.
(d) He feels better each day.
3. What is the first thing Ibrahim Faraj makes Hamida change?
(a) Her name.
(b) Her wardrobe.
(c) Her manners.
(d) Her hairstyle.
4. What does Ibrahim Farhat do for a living?
(a) Ibrahim Farhat is a professional politician.
(b) Ibrahim Farhat is a merchant.
(c) Ibrahim Farhat is an accountant.
(d) Ibrahim Farhat is an actor.
5. What does Hamida believe the stranger means when he says, "I'm just the one to take you!"
(a) A business partnership.
(c) Sexual slavery.
(d) A trip abroad.
6. Who does Hussain Kirsha blame for his failures?
(a) The British.
(c) His new wife.
(d) His father.
7. What does Kirsha want from Hamida after his heart attack?
(b) A girlfriend.
(d) A business partnership.
8. Why is Hussain Kirsha laid off by the British?
(a) They believe the war will end soon.
(b) His work was inadequate.
(c) They are leaving Egypt.
(d) They doubt his loyalty.
9. What has Abbas learned while he has been away from the alley?
(a) How to speak French.
(b) How to speak Arabic.
(c) How to speak German.
(d) How to speak English.
10. What does Ibrahim Faraj say pimps are?
(a) Shrewd money makers.
(b) Stockbrokers of happiness.
(c) Caretakers of beauty.
(d) Partners in crime.
11. What does Kirsha forbid in the workplace when he returns after his heart attack?
12. Why does Salim Alwan plan revenge on his wife?
(a) He believes that she is unfaithful.
(b) He believes that she has stolen from him.
(c) He believes that she has cursed him.
(d) He believes that she is envious of him.
13. How does Abbas learn that Hamida left with a man?
(a) Uncle Kamil tells him.
(b) Hussain Kirsha tells him.
(c) Umm Hamida tells him.
(d) The factory girls tell him.
14. What does Hussain Kirsha say is the worst thing about his present situation?
(a) He hasn't saved any money.
(b) His wife may be pregnant.
(c) He has no job prospects.
(d) He has to live at home with his parents.
15. What happens to Zaita and Dr. Booshy in the tombs?
(a) They get scared and run away.
(b) They are trapped inside.
(c) They are arrested.
(d) They can't find the gold teeth.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Hussain Kirsha wish he had been?
2. How do Salim Alwan's sons react to his hostility?
3. What does Hussain Kirsha say is the advantage of British nationality?
4. Why do Salim Alwan's sons object to his marrying again?
5. Why is Hussain Kirsha disappointed in Hitler?
This section contains 556 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)