|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does the stranger seem out of place in Midaq Alley?
(a) He is obviously well to do.
(b) He is obviously unacquainted with the residents.
(c) He is obviously investigating something.
(d) He is obviously a foreigner.
2. How does Abbas respond to his first drink of alcohol?
(a) He says it is delightful.
(b) He says it is horrible.
(c) He says it is cheering.
(d) He says it is wonderful.
3. Why is Hussain Kirsha disappointed in Hitler?
(a) Hussain Kirsha hoped Hitler would defeat Russia.
(b) Hussain Kirsha hoped Hitler would come to Egypt.
(c) Hussain Kirsha hoped Hitler would fight on indefinitely.
(d) Hussain Kirsha hoped Hitler would conquer the world.
4. Why do the boys advise Uncle Kamil to put up a poster of Ibrahim Farhat, the candidate?
(a) Ibrahim Farhat is fond of sweets.
(b) Ibrahim Farhat is the best candidate.
(c) If Farhat sees the poster, he will be all of Uncle Kamil's sweets.
(d) Uncle Kamil would be wise to take his side.
5. Who does Hussain Kirsha blame for his failures?
(b) His father.
(c) The British.
(d) His new wife.
6. What is the first thing Ibrahim Faraj makes Hamida change?
(a) Her manners.
(b) Her hairstyle.
(c) Her wardrobe.
(d) Her name.
7. What does Ibrahim Faraj say is his true profession?
(a) Accountant of a busy firm.
(c) Headmaster of a school.
(d) Dance instructor.
8. What pleases Kirsha most about his son's return?
(a) Kirsha is attracted to his daughter-in-law.
(b) Kirsha's predictions about his son's future are vindicated.
(c) Kirsha has missed his son.
(d) Kirsha is attracted to his daughter-in-law's brother.
9. What does the stranger say is the last thing new lovers learn about each other?
(a) Their names.
(b) Their hobbies.
(c) Their religion.
(d) Their family connections.
10. How does the stranger irritate Kirsha?
(a) By refusing to pay his bill.
(b) By paying his bill with small change.
(c) By paying for all his customers.
(d) By paying his bill in large notes.
11. Why does Susu say it is an advantage that Hamida has never danced before?
(a) Hamida will be more obedient.
(b) Hamida will be more graceful.
(c) Hamida will be more difficult to teach.
(d) Susu can mold Hamida as he wishes.
12. What gift has Abbas brought for Hamida?
(a) A gold bracelet.
(b) A diamond ring.
(c) A silver necklace.
(d) A gold necklace.
13. How does Hamida blunder while the stranger is watching her?
(a) She speaks to him.
(b) She ignores him.
(c) She runs from him.
(d) She lets him see that she is watching him.
14. What does Hussain Kirsha say is the advantage of British nationality?
(a) In England, everyone is happy.
(b) In England, everyone is equal.
(c) In England, everyone is strong.
(d) In England, everyone is rich.
15. What does Hamida have that proves her popularity with the soldiers?
(d) Beautiful clothes.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Hamida feel about the stranger's constant attention?
2. Why does Ibrahim Faraj stop himself from having sex with Hamida?
3. Why does Salim Alwan curse Sheikh Darwish?
4. How do Salim Alwan's sons react to his hostility?
5. Why is Hussain Kirsha laid off by the British?
This section contains 584 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)