|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Ibrahim Faraj say pimps are?
(a) Shrewd money makers.
(b) Caretakers of beauty.
(c) Partners in crime.
(d) Stockbrokers of happiness.
2. What does Hamida have that proves her popularity with the soldiers?
(c) Beautiful clothes.
3. How does Abbas learn that Hamida left with a man?
(a) Uncle Kamil tells him.
(b) Umm Hamida tells him.
(c) The factory girls tell him.
(d) Hussain Kirsha tells him.
4. What is Mrs. Kirsha's complaint when Hussain Kirsha comes home?
(a) He married without consulting his parents.
(b) He is unkind to her.
(c) He has brought strangers into the home.
(d) He has lost his job.
5. How long has Hamida been missing when Abbas returns?
(a) Two years.
(b) Two months.
(c) Two days.
(d) Two weeks.
6. What does Hamida feel when she unexpectedly encounters Abbas?
(a) Love and adoration.
(b) Relief and hope.
(c) Shame and humiliation.
(d) Contempt and animosity.
7. What does Ibrahim Faraj say is his true profession?
(a) Accountant of a busy firm.
(c) Dance instructor.
(d) Headmaster of a school.
8. Why is Kirsha offended at Ibrahim Farhat's offer to pay for his support?
(a) Kirsha is loyal to the candidate without payment.
(b) Kirsha has more money than Ibrahim Farhat.
(c) Kirsha is insulted at the thought that he could be bribed.
(d) Ibrahim Farhat paid other cafe owners more.
9. What does Kirsha admire about Hitler?
(a) His cruelty and barbarity.
(b) His elegant uniform and moustache.
(c) His concern for his people.
(d) His shrewdness and strategies.
10. Why do Salim Alwan's sons object to his marrying again?
(a) They are afraid a new wife will upset their mother.
(b) They are afraid a new wife will take all his money.
(c) They are afraid a new wife will neglect Salim Alwan.
(d) They are afraid a new wife will tire Salim Alwan.
11. Who does Salim Alwan believe has better fortune than he?
(a) Those who have faith in Allah.
(b) Those who die of a heart attack.
(c) Those who make more money.
(d) Those who have faithful families.
12. Who does Hussain Kirsha blame for his failures?
(a) The British.
(b) His new wife.
(c) His father.
13. What is the only thing that Hamida misses about her past life?
(b) Her foster mother.
(c) Her late-afternoon walk.
(d) Her girlfriends.
14. Why does Salim Alwan curse Sheikh Darwish?
(a) He is irritated by Sheikh Darwish's constant babbling.
(b) He is irritated by his own ill health.
(c) He is irritated by Sheikh Darwish getting in his path.
(d) He is irritated by the news that Hamida has left with a man.
15. How do Salim Alwan's sons react to his hostility?
(a) They feel vengeful.
(b) They feel genuine sadness.
(c) They feel irritation.
(d) They feel angry.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the stranger say is the last thing new lovers learn about each other?
2. Why does the stranger seem out of place in Midaq Alley?
3. How does Abbas respond to his first drink of alcohol?
4. What has Abbas learned while he has been away from the alley?
5. What is Uncle Kamil reluctant to tell Abbas?
This section contains 550 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)