|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Mrs. Afify react to the news of Dr. Booshy's capture?
(a) She tells everyone she knows.
(b) She buys the stolen teeth.
(c) She goes to visit him in jail.
(d) She throws away her gold teeth.
2. What does Mrs. Afify want from Dr. Booshy?
(a) Whitening chemicals.
(b) A false tooth.
(c) A gold plate to replace her teeth.
(d) Bridgework for her teeth.
3. What has Abbas learned while he has been away from the alley?
(a) How to speak English.
(b) How to speak Arabic.
(c) How to speak German.
(d) How to speak French.
4. How does Hamida feel about the stranger's constant attention?
(a) Fascinated and infuriated.
(b) Disinterested and bored.
(c) Thrilled and pleased.
(d) Frightened and worried.
5. What pleases Kirsha most about his son's return?
(a) Kirsha's predictions about his son's future are vindicated.
(b) Kirsha is attracted to his daughter-in-law.
(c) Kirsha is attracted to his daughter-in-law's brother.
(d) Kirsha has missed his son.
6. Why do Salim Alwan's sons object to his marrying again?
(a) They are afraid a new wife will take all his money.
(b) They are afraid a new wife will upset their mother.
(c) They are afraid a new wife will neglect Salim Alwan.
(d) They are afraid a new wife will tire Salim Alwan.
7. How does the stranger delight Sanker?
(a) By helping Sanker with his heavy work load.
(b) By calling attention to Sanker's efficiency.
(c) By treating Sanker respectfully.
(d) By giving Sanker large tips.
8. Why has Abbas returned to the alley?
(a) He has returned to his barber shop.
(b) He has been laid off.
(c) He has returned because he was homesick.
(d) He is on holiday.
9. Who does Hussain Kirsha blame for his failures?
(a) The British.
(b) His father.
(d) His new wife.
10. How does Hamida see the choice Ibrahim Faraj offers her?
(a) Innocence and crime.
(b) A dull past or an exciting future.
(c) Virtue and vice.
(d) Solitude or marriage.
11. Who does Kirsha support in the election?
(a) Whoever pays most.
(b) Whoever cares for the poor.
(c) Whoever preaches independence for Egypt.
(d) Whoever supports the British occupation.
12. Why is Kirsha offended at Ibrahim Farhat's offer to pay for his support?
(a) Kirsha is loyal to the candidate without payment.
(b) Ibrahim Farhat paid other cafe owners more.
(c) Kirsha has more money than Ibrahim Farhat.
(d) Kirsha is insulted at the thought that he could be bribed.
13. How does Abbas learn that Hamida left with a man?
(a) The factory girls tell him.
(b) Umm Hamida tells him.
(c) Uncle Kamil tells him.
(d) Hussain Kirsha tells him.
14. How long has Hamida been missing when Abbas returns?
(a) Two weeks.
(b) Two days.
(c) Two months.
(d) Two years.
15. How does Sheikh Darwish respond to Ibrahim Farhat's request for a blessing?
(a) He agrees to pray for him.
(b) He curses him.
(c) He falls asleep.
(d) He promises him success.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Salim Alwan deprive his household of good food?
2. Why is Uncle Kamil unable to vote?
3. What is Mrs. Kirsha's complaint when Hussain Kirsha comes home?
4. What does Kirsha want from Hamida after his heart attack?
5. What does Hussain Kirsha say is the worst thing about his present situation?
This section contains 589 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)