|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Radwan Hussainy counsel Kirsha to be kind to those who envy him?
(a) Envy is worse than illness.
(b) He should rejoice at his recovery.
(c) He should set a good example.
(d) Those who envy him do not understand his suffering.
2. What gift has Abbas brought for Hamida?
(a) A silver necklace.
(b) A gold bracelet.
(c) A gold necklace.
(d) A diamond ring.
3. Who does Hussain Kirsha blame for his failures?
(a) His father.
(c) The British.
(d) His new wife.
4. How do Salim Alwan's sons react to his hostility?
(a) They feel angry.
(b) They feel genuine sadness.
(c) They feel irritation.
(d) They feel vengeful.
5. What does Hamida feel when she unexpectedly encounters Abbas?
(a) Relief and hope.
(b) Contempt and animosity.
(c) Shame and humiliation.
(d) Love and adoration.
6. How does Hamida blunder while the stranger is watching her?
(a) She lets him see that she is watching him.
(b) She speaks to him.
(c) She runs from him.
(d) She ignores him.
7. What endeavor do Dr. Booshy and Zaita share?
(a) Extortion of beggars.
(b) Picking pockets.
(c) Grave robbing.
(d) Burglary of homes.
8. What pleases Kirsha most about his son's return?
(a) Kirsha's predictions about his son's future are vindicated.
(b) Kirsha has missed his son.
(c) Kirsha is attracted to his daughter-in-law's brother.
(d) Kirsha is attracted to his daughter-in-law.
9. What does Hussain Kirsha say is the worst thing about his present situation?
(a) He hasn't saved any money.
(b) He has to live at home with his parents.
(c) He has no job prospects.
(d) His wife may be pregnant.
10. Who does Kirsha support in the election?
(a) Whoever supports the British occupation.
(b) Whoever cares for the poor.
(c) Whoever preaches independence for Egypt.
(d) Whoever pays most.
11. Why do the boys advise Uncle Kamil to put up a poster of Ibrahim Farhat, the candidate?
(a) Ibrahim Farhat is fond of sweets.
(b) Ibrahim Farhat is the best candidate.
(c) Uncle Kamil would be wise to take his side.
(d) If Farhat sees the poster, he will be all of Uncle Kamil's sweets.
12. Where does the English instructor say the girls learn English best?
(a) In taverns and hotels.
(b) In conversation with each other.
(c) In classrooms.
(d) In textbooks.
13. How much does Ibrahim Farhat offer Kirsha for his support?
(a) Fifteen pounds.
(b) Fifty pounds.
(c) Ten pounds.
(d) Twenty pounds.
14. What is Uncle Kamil reluctant to tell Abbas?
(a) Hamida has died.
(b) Hamida has become ill.
(c) Hamida has disappeared.
(d) Hamida has married.
15. How does Hamida feel about the stranger's constant attention?
(a) Frightened and worried.
(b) Fascinated and infuriated.
(c) Thrilled and pleased.
(d) Disinterested and bored.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Kirsha offended at Ibrahim Farhat's offer to pay for his support?
2. What does the stranger say is the last thing new lovers learn about each other?
3. Why does Salim Alwan apologize to Sheikh Darwish?
4. Why is Hussain Kirsha laid off by the British?
5. How does Hussain Kirsha think Egypt is different from the rest of the world?
This section contains 572 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)