|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Salim Alwan plan revenge on his wife?
(a) He believes that she has stolen from him.
(b) He believes that she is envious of him.
(c) He believes that she has cursed him.
(d) He believes that she is unfaithful.
2. Where does the English instructor say the girls learn English best?
(a) In taverns and hotels.
(b) In conversation with each other.
(c) In classrooms.
(d) In textbooks.
3. How does Hamida view her relationship with the stranger?
(a) As a battle.
(b) As a romance.
(c) As true love.
(d) As an amusement.
4. Why does Radwan Hussainy counsel Kirsha to be kind to those who envy him?
(a) Envy is worse than illness.
(b) He should rejoice at his recovery.
(c) Those who envy him do not understand his suffering.
(d) He should set a good example.
5. Why does Hamida think she will never eat lentils again?
(a) Lentils are difficult to find in the city.
(b) Lentils are fattening.
(c) Lentils are the food of the poor.
(d) She won't have time to cook.
6. How long has Hamida been missing when Abbas returns?
(a) Two months.
(b) Two days.
(c) Two years.
(d) Two weeks.
7. Why does Zaita insist Dr. Booshy accompany him into the tombs?
(a) Dr. Booshy is stronger.
(b) Zaita is fearful and needs support.
(c) Zaita needs someone to hold the light.
(d) Zaita enjoys torturing Dr. Booshy.
8. How does Mrs. Afify react to the news of Dr. Booshy's capture?
(a) She goes to visit him in jail.
(b) She throws away her gold teeth.
(c) She buys the stolen teeth.
(d) She tells everyone she knows.
9. What is the one thought that weakens Hamida's determination to go with Ibrahim Faraj?
(a) She will never see Salim Alwan again.
(b) She will never see Umm Hamida again.
(c) She will never see Midaq Alley again.
(d) She will never see Abbas again.
10. What does Ibrahim Faraj say is his true profession?
(a) Headmaster of a school.
(b) Accountant of a busy firm.
(d) Dance instructor.
11. Who does Salim Alwan trust now that he never did before?
(a) His family.
(c) His employees.
12. What is the first class to which Ibrahim Faraj takes Hamida?
(a) Sexual mores and manners.
(b) Western dancing.
(d) Oriental dancing.
13. How much does Ibrahim Farhat offer Kirsha for his support?
(a) Fifty pounds.
(b) Twenty pounds.
(c) Ten pounds.
(d) Fifteen pounds.
14. How does Abbas respond to his first drink of alcohol?
(a) He says it is horrible.
(b) He says it is delightful.
(c) He says it is cheering.
(d) He says it is wonderful.
15. What does Kirsha forbid in the workplace when he returns after his heart attack?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Hamida feel when she unexpectedly encounters Abbas?
2. What does the stranger say is the last thing new lovers learn about each other?
3. How does the stranger delight Sanker?
4. Why does Hussain Kirsha avoid the cafe as he returns home?
5. Why do Salim Alwan's sons object to his marrying again?
This section contains 579 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)