|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does the stranger delight Sanker?
(a) By calling attention to Sanker's efficiency.
(b) By treating Sanker respectfully.
(c) By giving Sanker large tips.
(d) By helping Sanker with his heavy work load.
2. How does Abbas learn that Hamida left with a man?
(a) Hussain Kirsha tells him.
(b) The factory girls tell him.
(c) Uncle Kamil tells him.
(d) Umm Hamida tells him.
3. Why does Hamida think she will never eat lentils again?
(a) She won't have time to cook.
(b) Lentils are difficult to find in the city.
(c) Lentils are fattening.
(d) Lentils are the food of the poor.
4. Why does the stranger seem out of place in Midaq Alley?
(a) He is obviously investigating something.
(b) He is obviously unacquainted with the residents.
(c) He is obviously well to do.
(d) He is obviously a foreigner.
5. What does Hussain Kirsha say is the advantage of British nationality?
(a) In England, everyone is strong.
(b) In England, everyone is rich.
(c) In England, everyone is happy.
(d) In England, everyone is equal.
6. What does Mrs. Afify want from Dr. Booshy?
(a) A gold plate to replace her teeth.
(b) Whitening chemicals.
(c) A false tooth.
(d) Bridgework for her teeth.
7. What is the first class to which Ibrahim Faraj takes Hamida?
(a) Oriental dancing.
(c) Sexual mores and manners.
(d) Western dancing.
8. What does Hussain Kirsha wish he had been?
(a) A politician.
(b) A combat soldier.
(c) A rich man.
(d) A Briton.
9. What does Hamida believe the stranger means when he says, "I'm just the one to take you!"
(b) Sexual slavery.
(c) A business partnership.
(d) A trip abroad.
10. Why does Susu say it is an advantage that Hamida has never danced before?
(a) Hamida will be more graceful.
(b) Hamida will be more difficult to teach.
(c) Hamida will be more obedient.
(d) Susu can mold Hamida as he wishes.
11. What is Uncle Kamil reluctant to tell Abbas?
(a) Hamida has married.
(b) Hamida has disappeared.
(c) Hamida has become ill.
(d) Hamida has died.
12. What has Abbas learned while he has been away from the alley?
(a) How to speak German.
(b) How to speak Arabic.
(c) How to speak French.
(d) How to speak English.
13. Why is Uncle Kamil unable to vote?
(a) He doesn't know his birthplace.
(b) He is not Egyptian.
(c) He doesn't know how to read.
(d) He doesn't study the issues.
14. What does Susu say is life's most beautiful thing?
(a) A graceful dancer.
(c) A kind word.
(d) A good meal.
15. How does Sheikh Darwish respond to Ibrahim Farhat's request for a blessing?
(a) He promises him success.
(b) He curses him.
(c) He falls asleep.
(d) He agrees to pray for him.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Kirsha support in the election?
2. Why do the boys advise Uncle Kamil to put up a poster of Ibrahim Farhat, the candidate?
3. What does Kirsha forbid in the workplace when he returns after his heart attack?
4. How much does Ibrahim Farhat offer Kirsha for his support?
5. Why has Abbas returned to the alley?
This section contains 546 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)