|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Hamida blunder while the stranger is watching her?
(a) She speaks to him.
(b) She runs from him.
(c) She ignores him.
(d) She lets him see that she is watching him.
2. How do Salim Alwan's sons react to his hostility?
(a) They feel angry.
(b) They feel vengeful.
(c) They feel genuine sadness.
(d) They feel irritation.
3. What does Hamida believe the stranger means when he says, "I'm just the one to take you!"
(a) Sexual slavery.
(b) A trip abroad.
(d) A business partnership.
4. What does Hamida have that proves her popularity with the soldiers?
(c) Beautiful clothes.
5. What is Ibrahim Faraj's new name for Hamida?
6. What does Ibrahim Faraj say pimps are?
(a) Stockbrokers of happiness.
(b) Shrewd money makers.
(c) Partners in crime.
(d) Caretakers of beauty.
7. What does Kirsha admire about Hitler?
(a) His cruelty and barbarity.
(b) His concern for his people.
(c) His elegant uniform and moustache.
(d) His shrewdness and strategies.
8. Why does Salim Alwan deprive his household of good food?
(a) So that they have to share the restrictions he has.
(b) So that they can save money.
(c) So that they will be strengthened.
(d) So that they will be healthier.
9. What has Abbas learned while he has been away from the alley?
(a) How to speak Arabic.
(b) How to speak German.
(c) How to speak English.
(d) How to speak French.
10. What happens to Zaita and Dr. Booshy in the tombs?
(a) They can't find the gold teeth.
(b) They are arrested.
(c) They get scared and run away.
(d) They are trapped inside.
11. What pleases Kirsha most about his son's return?
(a) Kirsha has missed his son.
(b) Kirsha is attracted to his daughter-in-law's brother.
(c) Kirsha is attracted to his daughter-in-law.
(d) Kirsha's predictions about his son's future are vindicated.
12. Why does Salim Alwan apologize to Sheikh Darwish?
(a) Salim Alwan is genuinely humbled.
(b) Salim Alwan is anxious to please Sheikh Darwish.
(c) A sick man should not anger one of God's holy men.
(d) Sheikh Darwish's howling is embarrassing.
13. What does Ibrahim Faraj say is his true profession?
(a) Headmaster of a school.
(c) Accountant of a busy firm.
(d) Dance instructor.
14. Ibrahim Faraj compares Hamida to what animal?
(a) A panther.
(b) A vixen.
(c) A shrew.
(d) A tigress.
15. Why does Hamida think she will never eat lentils again?
(a) Lentils are difficult to find in the city.
(b) Lentils are the food of the poor.
(c) Lentils are fattening.
(d) She won't have time to cook.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the stranger say is the last thing new lovers learn about each other?
2. What does Mrs. Afify want from Dr. Booshy?
3. How much does Ibrahim Farhat offer Kirsha for his support?
4. Why does Zaita insist Dr. Booshy accompany him into the tombs?
5. Why is Hussain Kirsha disappointed in Hitler?
This section contains 522 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)