|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Mrs. Afify want from Dr. Booshy?
(a) Whitening chemicals.
(b) A false tooth.
(c) A gold plate to replace her teeth.
(d) Bridgework for her teeth.
2. Who does Hussain Kirsha blame for his failures?
(a) His father.
(b) The British.
(c) His new wife.
3. What happens to Zaita and Dr. Booshy in the tombs?
(a) They can't find the gold teeth.
(b) They are arrested.
(c) They get scared and run away.
(d) They are trapped inside.
4. What is the only thing that Hamida misses about her past life?
(a) Her foster mother.
(b) Her late-afternoon walk.
(c) Her girlfriends.
5. What does Kirsha want from Hamida after his heart attack?
(c) A business partnership.
(d) A girlfriend.
6. Who does Kirsha support in the election?
(a) Whoever supports the British occupation.
(b) Whoever cares for the poor.
(c) Whoever preaches independence for Egypt.
(d) Whoever pays most.
7. What does Kirsha admire about Hitler?
(a) His concern for his people.
(b) His shrewdness and strategies.
(c) His elegant uniform and moustache.
(d) His cruelty and barbarity.
8. Who does Salim Alwan trust now that he never did before?
(b) His family.
(c) His employees.
9. Why does Hamida think she will never eat lentils again?
(a) She won't have time to cook.
(b) Lentils are fattening.
(c) Lentils are the food of the poor.
(d) Lentils are difficult to find in the city.
10. How does Hussain Kirsha think Egypt is different from the rest of the world?
(a) Egyptian history is a treasure for others.
(b) A war for others is good fortune for Egypt.
(c) Egyptians are wiser than others.
(d) Egyptians are richer than others.
11. Why does Ibrahim Faraj stop himself from having sex with Hamida?
(a) He doesn't want to frighten her.
(b) He wants to treat her respectfully.
(c) He wants to marry her.
(d) American officers pay fifty pounds for virgins.
12. How does Hamida feel about the stranger's constant attention?
(a) Disinterested and bored.
(b) Fascinated and infuriated.
(c) Frightened and worried.
(d) Thrilled and pleased.
13. Why has Abbas returned to the alley?
(a) He has been laid off.
(b) He is on holiday.
(c) He has returned because he was homesick.
(d) He has returned to his barber shop.
14. Why do Salim Alwan's sons object to his marrying again?
(a) They are afraid a new wife will tire Salim Alwan.
(b) They are afraid a new wife will upset their mother.
(c) They are afraid a new wife will take all his money.
(d) They are afraid a new wife will neglect Salim Alwan.
15. What moment marks the dividing point between Hamida's two lives?
(a) When she cooks the lentils.
(b) When she packs her clothes.
(c) When she walks away from Midaq Alley.
(d) When she steps into the taxi with Ibrahim Faraj.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Hussain Kirsha say is the worst thing about his present situation?
2. Why does Salim Alwan cling to his unpleasant life?
3. How does Sheikh Darwish respond to Ibrahim Farhat's request for a blessing?
4. Why does Salim Alwan curse Sheikh Darwish?
5. Why does Salim Alwan apologize to Sheikh Darwish?
This section contains 600 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)