|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Hussain Kirsha avoid the cafe as he returns home?
(a) He wants to see his father before his mother.
(b) He wants to see his mother before his father.
(c) He doesn't want to be seen by anybody.
(d) He wants to see his father before the alley people.
2. What does Ibrahim Faraj tell Hamida their life together will be like?
(a) Like eternal lovers.
(b) Like film stars.
(c) Like well-matched spouses.
(d) Like royalty.
3. Why does Radwan Hussainy counsel Kirsha to be kind to those who envy him?
(a) Those who envy him do not understand his suffering.
(b) He should set a good example.
(c) Envy is worse than illness.
(d) He should rejoice at his recovery.
4. What does Hamida feel when she unexpectedly encounters Abbas?
(a) Love and adoration.
(b) Relief and hope.
(c) Shame and humiliation.
(d) Contempt and animosity.
5. Who does Kirsha support in the election?
(a) Whoever pays most.
(b) Whoever supports the British occupation.
(c) Whoever cares for the poor.
(d) Whoever preaches independence for Egypt.
6. What does Hussain Kirsha wish he had been?
(a) A politician.
(b) A combat soldier.
(c) A Briton.
(d) A rich man.
7. How do Salim Alwan's sons react to his hostility?
(a) They feel angry.
(b) They feel vengeful.
(c) They feel irritation.
(d) They feel genuine sadness.
8. What is the only thing that Hamida misses about her past life?
(a) Her girlfriends.
(b) Her late-afternoon walk.
(d) Her foster mother.
9. Where does the English instructor say the girls learn English best?
(a) In taverns and hotels.
(b) In textbooks.
(c) In conversation with each other.
(d) In classrooms.
10. What part of Kirsha has suffered the worst damage from the heart attack?
(a) His circulatory system.
(b) His respiratory system.
(c) His nervous system.
(d) His digestive system.
11. What moment marks the dividing point between Hamida's two lives?
(a) When she cooks the lentils.
(b) When she packs her clothes.
(c) When she steps into the taxi with Ibrahim Faraj.
(d) When she walks away from Midaq Alley.
12. Who does Salim Alwan trust now that he never did before?
(a) His family.
(b) His employees.
13. What does Susu say is life's most beautiful thing?
(a) A graceful dancer.
(b) A good meal.
(d) A kind word.
14. What does Abbas want to do while he's on holiday?
(a) Relax with his friends.
(b) Find a new job.
(c) Travel to the beach.
(d) Get married.
15. What is the one thought that weakens Hamida's determination to go with Ibrahim Faraj?
(a) She will never see Abbas again.
(b) She will never see Umm Hamida again.
(c) She will never see Midaq Alley again.
(d) She will never see Salim Alwan again.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Ibrahim Faraj stop himself from having sex with Hamida?
2. What does Ibrahim Faraj say is his true profession?
3. How does the stranger irritate Kirsha?
4. Why does Salim Alwan plan revenge on his wife?
5. How does Hamida view her relationship with the stranger?
This section contains 550 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)