|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Hussain Kirsha think Egypt is different from the rest of the world?
(a) Egyptians are richer than others.
(b) A war for others is good fortune for Egypt.
(c) Egyptian history is a treasure for others.
(d) Egyptians are wiser than others.
2. What happens to Zaita and Dr. Booshy in the tombs?
(a) They are arrested.
(b) They are trapped inside.
(c) They can't find the gold teeth.
(d) They get scared and run away.
3. Why does Salim Alwan curse Sheikh Darwish?
(a) He is irritated by the news that Hamida has left with a man.
(b) He is irritated by Sheikh Darwish's constant babbling.
(c) He is irritated by his own ill health.
(d) He is irritated by Sheikh Darwish getting in his path.
4. Why is Kirsha offended at Ibrahim Farhat's offer to pay for his support?
(a) Kirsha is loyal to the candidate without payment.
(b) Kirsha is insulted at the thought that he could be bribed.
(c) Ibrahim Farhat paid other cafe owners more.
(d) Kirsha has more money than Ibrahim Farhat.
5. What does Hamida have that proves her popularity with the soldiers?
(d) Beautiful clothes.
6. How long has Hamida been missing when Abbas returns?
(a) Two years.
(b) Two days.
(c) Two weeks.
(d) Two months.
7. Who does Salim Alwan believe has better fortune than he?
(a) Those who make more money.
(b) Those who have faith in Allah.
(c) Those who die of a heart attack.
(d) Those who have faithful families.
8. What gift has Abbas brought for Hamida?
(a) A gold bracelet.
(b) A gold necklace.
(c) A diamond ring.
(d) A silver necklace.
9. Why does Salim Alwan deprive his household of good food?
(a) So that they have to share the restrictions he has.
(b) So that they will be strengthened.
(c) So that they can save money.
(d) So that they will be healthier.
10. Why does the stranger seem out of place in Midaq Alley?
(a) He is obviously well to do.
(b) He is obviously a foreigner.
(c) He is obviously investigating something.
(d) He is obviously unacquainted with the residents.
11. What is Mrs. Kirsha's complaint when Hussain Kirsha comes home?
(a) He has brought strangers into the home.
(b) He has lost his job.
(c) He is unkind to her.
(d) He married without consulting his parents.
12. What moment marks the dividing point between Hamida's two lives?
(a) When she steps into the taxi with Ibrahim Faraj.
(b) When she packs her clothes.
(c) When she cooks the lentils.
(d) When she walks away from Midaq Alley.
13. What does Ibrahim Farhat do for a living?
(a) Ibrahim Farhat is a professional politician.
(b) Ibrahim Farhat is an actor.
(c) Ibrahim Farhat is an accountant.
(d) Ibrahim Farhat is a merchant.
14. Why does Hamida think she will never eat lentils again?
(a) Lentils are fattening.
(b) Lentils are difficult to find in the city.
(c) She won't have time to cook.
(d) Lentils are the food of the poor.
15. Why does Susu say it is an advantage that Hamida has never danced before?
(a) Susu can mold Hamida as he wishes.
(b) Hamida will be more obedient.
(c) Hamida will be more difficult to teach.
(d) Hamida will be more graceful.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Ibrahim Faraj's new name for Hamida?
2. How much does Ibrahim Farhat offer Kirsha for his support?
3. What does Hussain Kirsha say is the advantage of British nationality?
4. Why does Salim Alwan apologize to Sheikh Darwish?
5. What does Kirsha want from Hamida after his heart attack?
This section contains 603 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)