|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Hussain Kirsha say is the advantage of British nationality?
(a) In England, everyone is rich.
(b) In England, everyone is equal.
(c) In England, everyone is happy.
(d) In England, everyone is strong.
2. What does Susu say is life's most beautiful thing?
(b) A kind word.
(c) A graceful dancer.
(d) A good meal.
3. What does Ibrahim Farhat do for a living?
(a) Ibrahim Farhat is a professional politician.
(b) Ibrahim Farhat is an accountant.
(c) Ibrahim Farhat is an actor.
(d) Ibrahim Farhat is a merchant.
4. Why does Susu say it is an advantage that Hamida has never danced before?
(a) Susu can mold Hamida as he wishes.
(b) Hamida will be more difficult to teach.
(c) Hamida will be more obedient.
(d) Hamida will be more graceful.
5. What gift has Abbas brought for Hamida?
(a) A diamond ring.
(b) A gold bracelet.
(c) A gold necklace.
(d) A silver necklace.
6. What is the first class to which Ibrahim Faraj takes Hamida?
(a) Sexual mores and manners.
(b) Western dancing.
(d) Oriental dancing.
7. What does Mrs. Afify want from Dr. Booshy?
(a) A false tooth.
(b) A gold plate to replace her teeth.
(c) Bridgework for her teeth.
(d) Whitening chemicals.
8. Who does Hussain Kirsha blame for his failures?
(a) The British.
(b) His new wife.
(c) His father.
9. How does Sheikh Darwish respond to Ibrahim Farhat's request for a blessing?
(a) He promises him success.
(b) He agrees to pray for him.
(c) He falls asleep.
(d) He curses him.
10. Why has Abbas returned to the alley?
(a) He has been laid off.
(b) He is on holiday.
(c) He has returned because he was homesick.
(d) He has returned to his barber shop.
11. Why does Salim Alwan curse Sheikh Darwish?
(a) He is irritated by the news that Hamida has left with a man.
(b) He is irritated by Sheikh Darwish's constant babbling.
(c) He is irritated by Sheikh Darwish getting in his path.
(d) He is irritated by his own ill health.
12. How does Hamida feel about the stranger's constant attention?
(a) Thrilled and pleased.
(b) Disinterested and bored.
(c) Frightened and worried.
(d) Fascinated and infuriated.
13. How does Hamida blunder while the stranger is watching her?
(a) She ignores him.
(b) She runs from him.
(c) She lets him see that she is watching him.
(d) She speaks to him.
14. Ibrahim Faraj compares Hamida to what animal?
(a) A vixen.
(b) A panther.
(c) A shrew.
(d) A tigress.
15. What does the stranger say is the last thing new lovers learn about each other?
(a) Their hobbies.
(b) Their names.
(c) Their family connections.
(d) Their religion.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the stranger delight Sanker?
2. Why is Hussain Kirsha laid off by the British?
3. How does Hamida view her relationship with the stranger?
4. How does Hussain Kirsha think Egypt is different from the rest of the world?
5. Why does Ibrahim Faraj stop himself from having sex with Hamida?
This section contains 543 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)