|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Ibrahim Faraj stop himself from having sex with Hamida?
(a) American officers pay fifty pounds for virgins.
(b) He wants to marry her.
(c) He doesn't want to frighten her.
(d) He wants to treat her respectfully.
2. Why do the boys advise Uncle Kamil to put up a poster of Ibrahim Farhat, the candidate?
(a) If Farhat sees the poster, he will be all of Uncle Kamil's sweets.
(b) Ibrahim Farhat is the best candidate.
(c) Ibrahim Farhat is fond of sweets.
(d) Uncle Kamil would be wise to take his side.
3. What does Hamida have that proves her popularity with the soldiers?
(b) Beautiful clothes.
4. What does Kirsha admire about Hitler?
(a) His shrewdness and strategies.
(b) His cruelty and barbarity.
(c) His elegant uniform and moustache.
(d) His concern for his people.
5. Where does the English instructor say the girls learn English best?
(a) In classrooms.
(b) In conversation with each other.
(c) In taverns and hotels.
(d) In textbooks.
6. Who does Hussain Kirsha blame for his failures?
(a) The British.
(b) His new wife.
(c) His father.
7. What is the first thing Ibrahim Faraj makes Hamida change?
(a) Her wardrobe.
(b) Her name.
(c) Her hairstyle.
(d) Her manners.
8. Why does Salim Alwan deprive his household of good food?
(a) So that they will be healthier.
(b) So that they will be strengthened.
(c) So that they have to share the restrictions he has.
(d) So that they can save money.
9. What does Ibrahim Faraj say is his true profession?
(a) Headmaster of a school.
(b) Accountant of a busy firm.
(d) Dance instructor.
10. What does Ibrahim Faraj tell Hamida their life together will be like?
(a) Like eternal lovers.
(b) Like film stars.
(c) Like royalty.
(d) Like well-matched spouses.
11. Why does Salim Alwan plan revenge on his wife?
(a) He believes that she has cursed him.
(b) He believes that she has stolen from him.
(c) He believes that she is unfaithful.
(d) He believes that she is envious of him.
12. What are Kirsha's real feelings about Hussain Kirsha's return home?
(a) He is pleased at his son's return and delighted with his marriage.
(b) He is disinterested in his son's return and unconcerned by his marriage.
(c) He is amused by his son's return and surprised at his marriage.
(d) He is furious at his son's return and appalled at his marriage.
13. How does Hussain Kirsha think Egypt is different from the rest of the world?
(a) Egyptian history is a treasure for others.
(b) A war for others is good fortune for Egypt.
(c) Egyptians are richer than others.
(d) Egyptians are wiser than others.
14. Why does Salim Alwan cling to his unpleasant life?
(a) He is hoping his life will improve.
(b) He is afraid of the afterlife.
(c) He enjoys making business deals.
(d) He feels better each day.
15. What does the stranger say is the last thing new lovers learn about each other?
(a) Their family connections.
(b) Their hobbies.
(c) Their names.
(d) Their religion.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Zaita insist Dr. Booshy accompany him into the tombs?
2. What does Hamida believe the stranger means when he says, "I'm just the one to take you!"
3. Why does Hamida think she will never eat lentils again?
4. Why does Hussain Kirsha avoid the cafe as he returns home?
5. What endeavor do Dr. Booshy and Zaita share?
This section contains 616 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)