|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Ibrahim Faraj tell Hamida their life together will be like?
(a) Like well-matched spouses.
(b) Like eternal lovers.
(c) Like royalty.
(d) Like film stars.
2. Why does Zaita insist Dr. Booshy accompany him into the tombs?
(a) Dr. Booshy is stronger.
(b) Zaita is fearful and needs support.
(c) Zaita needs someone to hold the light.
(d) Zaita enjoys torturing Dr. Booshy.
3. What is Mrs. Kirsha's complaint when Hussain Kirsha comes home?
(a) He has lost his job.
(b) He has brought strangers into the home.
(c) He is unkind to her.
(d) He married without consulting his parents.
4. How does the stranger delight Sanker?
(a) By calling attention to Sanker's efficiency.
(b) By helping Sanker with his heavy work load.
(c) By treating Sanker respectfully.
(d) By giving Sanker large tips.
5. Why has Abbas returned to the alley?
(a) He has returned because he was homesick.
(b) He has been laid off.
(c) He is on holiday.
(d) He has returned to his barber shop.
6. What does Hussain Kirsha say is the advantage of British nationality?
(a) In England, everyone is rich.
(b) In England, everyone is equal.
(c) In England, everyone is happy.
(d) In England, everyone is strong.
7. What does the stranger say is the last thing new lovers learn about each other?
(a) Their family connections.
(b) Their religion.
(c) Their names.
(d) Their hobbies.
8. What is Ibrahim Faraj's new name for Hamida?
9. What moment marks the dividing point between Hamida's two lives?
(a) When she cooks the lentils.
(b) When she walks away from Midaq Alley.
(c) When she steps into the taxi with Ibrahim Faraj.
(d) When she packs her clothes.
10. What are Kirsha's real feelings about Hussain Kirsha's return home?
(a) He is disinterested in his son's return and unconcerned by his marriage.
(b) He is furious at his son's return and appalled at his marriage.
(c) He is pleased at his son's return and delighted with his marriage.
(d) He is amused by his son's return and surprised at his marriage.
11. How does Abbas learn that Hamida left with a man?
(a) The factory girls tell him.
(b) Hussain Kirsha tells him.
(c) Umm Hamida tells him.
(d) Uncle Kamil tells him.
12. How does Hamida view her relationship with the stranger?
(a) As true love.
(b) As an amusement.
(c) As a romance.
(d) As a battle.
13. How do Salim Alwan's sons react to his hostility?
(a) They feel vengeful.
(b) They feel irritation.
(c) They feel angry.
(d) They feel genuine sadness.
14. How does Hussain Kirsha think Egypt is different from the rest of the world?
(a) Egyptians are wiser than others.
(b) A war for others is good fortune for Egypt.
(c) Egyptians are richer than others.
(d) Egyptian history is a treasure for others.
15. Why does Salim Alwan plan revenge on his wife?
(a) He believes that she has cursed him.
(b) He believes that she is envious of him.
(c) He believes that she is unfaithful.
(d) He believes that she has stolen from him.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Hamida believe the stranger means when he says, "I'm just the one to take you!"
2. Why is Hussain Kirsha disappointed in Hitler?
3. How does Hamida feel about the stranger's constant attention?
4. What does Abbas want to do while he's on holiday?
5. What has Abbas learned while he has been away from the alley?
This section contains 594 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)