|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Mrs. Afify want from Dr. Booshy?
(a) Bridgework for her teeth.
(b) A false tooth.
(c) A gold plate to replace her teeth.
(d) Whitening chemicals.
2. Why is Uncle Kamil unable to vote?
(a) He doesn't know how to read.
(b) He doesn't know his birthplace.
(c) He doesn't study the issues.
(d) He is not Egyptian.
3. Why does the stranger seem out of place in Midaq Alley?
(a) He is obviously investigating something.
(b) He is obviously well to do.
(c) He is obviously unacquainted with the residents.
(d) He is obviously a foreigner.
4. What does Abbas want to do while he's on holiday?
(a) Relax with his friends.
(b) Get married.
(c) Find a new job.
(d) Travel to the beach.
5. Why does Zaita insist Dr. Booshy accompany him into the tombs?
(a) Zaita needs someone to hold the light.
(b) Zaita enjoys torturing Dr. Booshy.
(c) Zaita is fearful and needs support.
(d) Dr. Booshy is stronger.
6. What is the first thing Ibrahim Faraj makes Hamida change?
(a) Her wardrobe.
(b) Her hairstyle.
(c) Her manners.
(d) Her name.
7. Why does Salim Alwan cling to his unpleasant life?
(a) He feels better each day.
(b) He is afraid of the afterlife.
(c) He is hoping his life will improve.
(d) He enjoys making business deals.
8. What is the only thing that Hamida misses about her past life?
(b) Her late-afternoon walk.
(c) Her girlfriends.
(d) Her foster mother.
9. What are Kirsha's real feelings about Hussain Kirsha's return home?
(a) He is disinterested in his son's return and unconcerned by his marriage.
(b) He is pleased at his son's return and delighted with his marriage.
(c) He is furious at his son's return and appalled at his marriage.
(d) He is amused by his son's return and surprised at his marriage.
10. What does Ibrahim Farhat do for a living?
(a) Ibrahim Farhat is an actor.
(b) Ibrahim Farhat is a merchant.
(c) Ibrahim Farhat is an accountant.
(d) Ibrahim Farhat is a professional politician.
11. Why does Salim Alwan plan revenge on his wife?
(a) He believes that she has stolen from him.
(b) He believes that she has cursed him.
(c) He believes that she is unfaithful.
(d) He believes that she is envious of him.
12. Ibrahim Faraj compares Hamida to what animal?
(a) A shrew.
(b) A panther.
(c) A tigress.
(d) A vixen.
13. Why has Abbas returned to the alley?
(a) He has returned because he was homesick.
(b) He has returned to his barber shop.
(c) He is on holiday.
(d) He has been laid off.
14. How does Hamida blunder while the stranger is watching her?
(a) She speaks to him.
(b) She lets him see that she is watching him.
(c) She ignores him.
(d) She runs from him.
15. How does Hamida feel about the stranger's constant attention?
(a) Thrilled and pleased.
(b) Disinterested and bored.
(c) Fascinated and infuriated.
(d) Frightened and worried.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Abbas respond to his first drink of alcohol?
2. How much does Ibrahim Farhat offer Kirsha for his support?
3. What does Hussain Kirsha say is the worst thing about his present situation?
4. What does Kirsha admire about Hitler?
5. Why does Hamida think she will never eat lentils again?
This section contains 577 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)