|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Ibrahim Faraj's new name for Hamida?
2. How long has Hamida been missing when Abbas returns?
(a) Two weeks.
(b) Two days.
(c) Two years.
(d) Two months.
3. Why do the boys advise Uncle Kamil to put up a poster of Ibrahim Farhat, the candidate?
(a) Ibrahim Farhat is fond of sweets.
(b) If Farhat sees the poster, he will be all of Uncle Kamil's sweets.
(c) Uncle Kamil would be wise to take his side.
(d) Ibrahim Farhat is the best candidate.
4. How much does Ibrahim Farhat offer Kirsha for his support?
(a) Twenty pounds.
(b) Fifteen pounds.
(c) Ten pounds.
(d) Fifty pounds.
5. Why does Hamida think she will never eat lentils again?
(a) Lentils are fattening.
(b) She won't have time to cook.
(c) Lentils are the food of the poor.
(d) Lentils are difficult to find in the city.
6. What pleases Kirsha most about his son's return?
(a) Kirsha is attracted to his daughter-in-law's brother.
(b) Kirsha is attracted to his daughter-in-law.
(c) Kirsha has missed his son.
(d) Kirsha's predictions about his son's future are vindicated.
7. Why do Salim Alwan's sons object to his marrying again?
(a) They are afraid a new wife will upset their mother.
(b) They are afraid a new wife will tire Salim Alwan.
(c) They are afraid a new wife will neglect Salim Alwan.
(d) They are afraid a new wife will take all his money.
8. Why does Zaita insist Dr. Booshy accompany him into the tombs?
(a) Zaita enjoys torturing Dr. Booshy.
(b) Zaita needs someone to hold the light.
(c) Zaita is fearful and needs support.
(d) Dr. Booshy is stronger.
9. Who does Kirsha support in the election?
(a) Whoever supports the British occupation.
(b) Whoever pays most.
(c) Whoever preaches independence for Egypt.
(d) Whoever cares for the poor.
10. What does Susu say is life's most beautiful thing?
(a) A good meal.
(b) A kind word.
(d) A graceful dancer.
11. What is the first thing Ibrahim Faraj makes Hamida change?
(a) Her manners.
(b) Her name.
(c) Her hairstyle.
(d) Her wardrobe.
12. What does Hussain Kirsha say is the worst thing about his present situation?
(a) He has no job prospects.
(b) His wife may be pregnant.
(c) He has to live at home with his parents.
(d) He hasn't saved any money.
13. What endeavor do Dr. Booshy and Zaita share?
(a) Grave robbing.
(b) Picking pockets.
(c) Burglary of homes.
(d) Extortion of beggars.
14. Why is Hussain Kirsha laid off by the British?
(a) They are leaving Egypt.
(b) His work was inadequate.
(c) They believe the war will end soon.
(d) They doubt his loyalty.
15. Why is Ibrahim Faraj, the stranger, so pleased when Hamida readily comes with him?
(a) He is saving the cost of wooing her.
(b) She is an easy catch.
(c) He is saving days of work pursuing her.
(d) She is compliant and friendly.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Salim Alwan curse Sheikh Darwish?
2. How do Salim Alwan's sons react to his hostility?
3. How does Abbas respond to his first drink of alcohol?
4. What is Mrs. Kirsha's complaint when Hussain Kirsha comes home?
5. Who does Salim Alwan believe has better fortune than he?
This section contains 599 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)