|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Salim Alwan apologize to Sheikh Darwish?
(a) A sick man should not anger one of God's holy men.
(b) Salim Alwan is anxious to please Sheikh Darwish.
(c) Salim Alwan is genuinely humbled.
(d) Sheikh Darwish's howling is embarrassing.
2. What happens to Zaita and Dr. Booshy in the tombs?
(a) They get scared and run away.
(b) They are arrested.
(c) They are trapped inside.
(d) They can't find the gold teeth.
3. Why is Kirsha offended at Ibrahim Farhat's offer to pay for his support?
(a) Kirsha has more money than Ibrahim Farhat.
(b) Kirsha is loyal to the candidate without payment.
(c) Ibrahim Farhat paid other cafe owners more.
(d) Kirsha is insulted at the thought that he could be bribed.
4. Why does Ibrahim Faraj stop himself from having sex with Hamida?
(a) American officers pay fifty pounds for virgins.
(b) He doesn't want to frighten her.
(c) He wants to treat her respectfully.
(d) He wants to marry her.
5. What does Hamida feel when she unexpectedly encounters Abbas?
(a) Shame and humiliation.
(b) Relief and hope.
(c) Love and adoration.
(d) Contempt and animosity.
6. What does Kirsha want from Hamida after his heart attack?
(b) A business partnership.
(c) A girlfriend.
7. What does Ibrahim Faraj say pimps are?
(a) Partners in crime.
(b) Shrewd money makers.
(c) Stockbrokers of happiness.
(d) Caretakers of beauty.
8. What does Hamida have that proves her popularity with the soldiers?
(c) Beautiful clothes.
9. What does Hussain Kirsha say is the advantage of British nationality?
(a) In England, everyone is happy.
(b) In England, everyone is equal.
(c) In England, everyone is strong.
(d) In England, everyone is rich.
10. How do Salim Alwan's sons react to his hostility?
(a) They feel genuine sadness.
(b) They feel irritation.
(c) They feel angry.
(d) They feel vengeful.
11. Who does Salim Alwan believe has better fortune than he?
(a) Those who have faithful families.
(b) Those who die of a heart attack.
(c) Those who make more money.
(d) Those who have faith in Allah.
12. What has Abbas learned while he has been away from the alley?
(a) How to speak Arabic.
(b) How to speak English.
(c) How to speak French.
(d) How to speak German.
13. Why is Uncle Kamil unable to vote?
(a) He doesn't know his birthplace.
(b) He doesn't know how to read.
(c) He doesn't study the issues.
(d) He is not Egyptian.
14. Why is Ibrahim Faraj, the stranger, so pleased when Hamida readily comes with him?
(a) He is saving the cost of wooing her.
(b) She is an easy catch.
(c) He is saving days of work pursuing her.
(d) She is compliant and friendly.
15. Ibrahim Faraj compares Hamida to what animal?
(a) A panther.
(b) A tigress.
(c) A vixen.
(d) A shrew.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Hussain Kirsha blame for his failures?
2. What does Ibrahim Faraj tell Hamida their life together will be like?
3. What does Kirsha forbid in the workplace when he returns after his heart attack?
4. What does Hussain Kirsha wish he had been?
5. How long has Hamida been missing when Abbas returns?
This section contains 508 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)