|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Uncle Kamil unable to vote?
(a) He doesn't study the issues.
(b) He is not Egyptian.
(c) He doesn't know how to read.
(d) He doesn't know his birthplace.
2. What are Kirsha's real feelings about Hussain Kirsha's return home?
(a) He is amused by his son's return and surprised at his marriage.
(b) He is furious at his son's return and appalled at his marriage.
(c) He is pleased at his son's return and delighted with his marriage.
(d) He is disinterested in his son's return and unconcerned by his marriage.
3. What pleases Kirsha most about his son's return?
(a) Kirsha's predictions about his son's future are vindicated.
(b) Kirsha is attracted to his daughter-in-law.
(c) Kirsha has missed his son.
(d) Kirsha is attracted to his daughter-in-law's brother.
4. How does Abbas respond to his first drink of alcohol?
(a) He says it is wonderful.
(b) He says it is horrible.
(c) He says it is cheering.
(d) He says it is delightful.
5. How does the stranger irritate Kirsha?
(a) By paying his bill with small change.
(b) By paying his bill in large notes.
(c) By paying for all his customers.
(d) By refusing to pay his bill.
6. Where does the English instructor say the girls learn English best?
(a) In classrooms.
(b) In taverns and hotels.
(c) In textbooks.
(d) In conversation with each other.
7. What is the first class to which Ibrahim Faraj takes Hamida?
(b) Oriental dancing.
(c) Sexual mores and manners.
(d) Western dancing.
8. What is the only thing that Hamida misses about her past life?
(a) Her foster mother.
(b) Her late-afternoon walk.
(c) Her girlfriends.
9. Ibrahim Faraj compares Hamida to what animal?
(a) A panther.
(b) A shrew.
(c) A tigress.
(d) A vixen.
10. Why is Ibrahim Faraj, the stranger, so pleased when Hamida readily comes with him?
(a) She is an easy catch.
(b) She is compliant and friendly.
(c) He is saving days of work pursuing her.
(d) He is saving the cost of wooing her.
11. Why is Hussain Kirsha disappointed in Hitler?
(a) Hussain Kirsha hoped Hitler would defeat Russia.
(b) Hussain Kirsha hoped Hitler would conquer the world.
(c) Hussain Kirsha hoped Hitler would fight on indefinitely.
(d) Hussain Kirsha hoped Hitler would come to Egypt.
12. What does Ibrahim Faraj say is his true profession?
(a) Dance instructor.
(b) Accountant of a busy firm.
(d) Headmaster of a school.
13. Why do Salim Alwan's sons object to his marrying again?
(a) They are afraid a new wife will tire Salim Alwan.
(b) They are afraid a new wife will upset their mother.
(c) They are afraid a new wife will neglect Salim Alwan.
(d) They are afraid a new wife will take all his money.
14. How does Hussain Kirsha think Egypt is different from the rest of the world?
(a) Egyptian history is a treasure for others.
(b) A war for others is good fortune for Egypt.
(c) Egyptians are wiser than others.
(d) Egyptians are richer than others.
15. What does Kirsha want from Hamida after his heart attack?
(c) A girlfriend.
(d) A business partnership.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Hussain Kirsha say is the advantage of British nationality?
2. What does Kirsha admire about Hitler?
3. How does the stranger delight Sanker?
4. How does Abbas learn that Hamida left with a man?
5. Why does Zaita insist Dr. Booshy accompany him into the tombs?
This section contains 612 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)