|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Salim Alwan deprive his household of good food?
(a) So that they will be strengthened.
(b) So that they can save money.
(c) So that they will be healthier.
(d) So that they have to share the restrictions he has.
2. What does Hussain Kirsha say is the advantage of British nationality?
(a) In England, everyone is happy.
(b) In England, everyone is equal.
(c) In England, everyone is rich.
(d) In England, everyone is strong.
3. How does Abbas learn that Hamida left with a man?
(a) Umm Hamida tells him.
(b) The factory girls tell him.
(c) Uncle Kamil tells him.
(d) Hussain Kirsha tells him.
4. What does Ibrahim Faraj tell Hamida their life together will be like?
(a) Like film stars.
(b) Like royalty.
(c) Like well-matched spouses.
(d) Like eternal lovers.
5. Why does Ibrahim Faraj stop himself from having sex with Hamida?
(a) He wants to treat her respectfully.
(b) He wants to marry her.
(c) He doesn't want to frighten her.
(d) American officers pay fifty pounds for virgins.
6. Why does Zaita insist Dr. Booshy accompany him into the tombs?
(a) Zaita enjoys torturing Dr. Booshy.
(b) Zaita is fearful and needs support.
(c) Dr. Booshy is stronger.
(d) Zaita needs someone to hold the light.
7. How does Hamida feel about the stranger's constant attention?
(a) Disinterested and bored.
(b) Frightened and worried.
(c) Fascinated and infuriated.
(d) Thrilled and pleased.
8. What is the only thing that Hamida misses about her past life?
(a) Her foster mother.
(b) Her late-afternoon walk.
(d) Her girlfriends.
9. How do Salim Alwan's sons react to his hostility?
(a) They feel vengeful.
(b) They feel genuine sadness.
(c) They feel angry.
(d) They feel irritation.
10. What does Ibrahim Farhat do for a living?
(a) Ibrahim Farhat is an accountant.
(b) Ibrahim Farhat is a merchant.
(c) Ibrahim Farhat is an actor.
(d) Ibrahim Farhat is a professional politician.
11. What does Abbas want to do while he's on holiday?
(a) Find a new job.
(b) Relax with his friends.
(c) Get married.
(d) Travel to the beach.
12. What does Hamida believe the stranger means when he says, "I'm just the one to take you!"
(a) Sexual slavery.
(b) A trip abroad.
(c) A business partnership.
13. What is the one thought that weakens Hamida's determination to go with Ibrahim Faraj?
(a) She will never see Salim Alwan again.
(b) She will never see Umm Hamida again.
(c) She will never see Abbas again.
(d) She will never see Midaq Alley again.
14. How does Hamida blunder while the stranger is watching her?
(a) She speaks to him.
(b) She lets him see that she is watching him.
(c) She runs from him.
(d) She ignores him.
15. Why is Uncle Kamil unable to vote?
(a) He doesn't know his birthplace.
(b) He doesn't know how to read.
(c) He is not Egyptian.
(d) He doesn't study the issues.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ibrahim Faraj say pimps are?
2. Why is Kirsha offended at Ibrahim Farhat's offer to pay for his support?
3. How does Sheikh Darwish respond to Ibrahim Farhat's request for a blessing?
4. What pleases Kirsha most about his son's return?
5. Why does Salim Alwan plan revenge on his wife?
This section contains 593 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)