|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does the stranger seem out of place in Midaq Alley?
(a) He is obviously investigating something.
(b) He is obviously a foreigner.
(c) He is obviously unacquainted with the residents.
(d) He is obviously well to do.
2. What does Abbas want to do while he's on holiday?
(a) Get married.
(b) Find a new job.
(c) Travel to the beach.
(d) Relax with his friends.
3. Why does Hussain Kirsha avoid the cafe as he returns home?
(a) He wants to see his mother before his father.
(b) He doesn't want to be seen by anybody.
(c) He wants to see his father before the alley people.
(d) He wants to see his father before his mother.
4. Why does Salim Alwan plan revenge on his wife?
(a) He believes that she is envious of him.
(b) He believes that she has stolen from him.
(c) He believes that she has cursed him.
(d) He believes that she is unfaithful.
5. What does Ibrahim Farhat do for a living?
(a) Ibrahim Farhat is a professional politician.
(b) Ibrahim Farhat is an accountant.
(c) Ibrahim Farhat is an actor.
(d) Ibrahim Farhat is a merchant.
6. Ibrahim Faraj compares Hamida to what animal?
(a) A vixen.
(b) A tigress.
(c) A shrew.
(d) A panther.
7. What has Abbas learned while he has been away from the alley?
(a) How to speak Arabic.
(b) How to speak German.
(c) How to speak French.
(d) How to speak English.
8. Why has Abbas returned to the alley?
(a) He is on holiday.
(b) He has been laid off.
(c) He has returned to his barber shop.
(d) He has returned because he was homesick.
9. What is the only thing that Hamida misses about her past life?
(b) Her foster mother.
(c) Her late-afternoon walk.
(d) Her girlfriends.
10. What does Ibrahim Faraj tell Hamida their life together will be like?
(a) Like royalty.
(b) Like well-matched spouses.
(c) Like film stars.
(d) Like eternal lovers.
11. What does Hamida believe the stranger means when he says, "I'm just the one to take you!"
(a) Sexual slavery.
(c) A trip abroad.
(d) A business partnership.
12. What does Kirsha forbid in the workplace when he returns after his heart attack?
13. Why is Hussain Kirsha disappointed in Hitler?
(a) Hussain Kirsha hoped Hitler would come to Egypt.
(b) Hussain Kirsha hoped Hitler would defeat Russia.
(c) Hussain Kirsha hoped Hitler would conquer the world.
(d) Hussain Kirsha hoped Hitler would fight on indefinitely.
14. Why do Salim Alwan's sons object to his marrying again?
(a) They are afraid a new wife will tire Salim Alwan.
(b) They are afraid a new wife will upset their mother.
(c) They are afraid a new wife will neglect Salim Alwan.
(d) They are afraid a new wife will take all his money.
15. What part of Kirsha has suffered the worst damage from the heart attack?
(a) His respiratory system.
(b) His circulatory system.
(c) His digestive system.
(d) His nervous system.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Hussain Kirsha blame for his failures?
2. Why does Zaita insist Dr. Booshy accompany him into the tombs?
3. What is the first thing Ibrahim Faraj makes Hamida change?
4. How does the stranger irritate Kirsha?
5. What does Hussain Kirsha wish he had been?
This section contains 564 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)