|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Hussain Kirsha say is the worst thing about his present situation?
(a) He has to live at home with his parents.
(b) He hasn't saved any money.
(c) He has no job prospects.
(d) His wife may be pregnant.
2. What does Ibrahim Faraj say pimps are?
(a) Stockbrokers of happiness.
(b) Caretakers of beauty.
(c) Partners in crime.
(d) Shrewd money makers.
3. What is Mrs. Kirsha's complaint when Hussain Kirsha comes home?
(a) He is unkind to her.
(b) He married without consulting his parents.
(c) He has brought strangers into the home.
(d) He has lost his job.
4. What is Uncle Kamil reluctant to tell Abbas?
(a) Hamida has become ill.
(b) Hamida has disappeared.
(c) Hamida has died.
(d) Hamida has married.
5. What does Kirsha admire about Hitler?
(a) His cruelty and barbarity.
(b) His shrewdness and strategies.
(c) His concern for his people.
(d) His elegant uniform and moustache.
6. Why is Kirsha offended at Ibrahim Farhat's offer to pay for his support?
(a) Kirsha has more money than Ibrahim Farhat.
(b) Kirsha is insulted at the thought that he could be bribed.
(c) Ibrahim Farhat paid other cafe owners more.
(d) Kirsha is loyal to the candidate without payment.
7. Why is Ibrahim Faraj, the stranger, so pleased when Hamida readily comes with him?
(a) She is an easy catch.
(b) She is compliant and friendly.
(c) He is saving days of work pursuing her.
(d) He is saving the cost of wooing her.
8. What has Abbas learned while he has been away from the alley?
(a) How to speak English.
(b) How to speak German.
(c) How to speak French.
(d) How to speak Arabic.
9. What are Kirsha's real feelings about Hussain Kirsha's return home?
(a) He is disinterested in his son's return and unconcerned by his marriage.
(b) He is amused by his son's return and surprised at his marriage.
(c) He is furious at his son's return and appalled at his marriage.
(d) He is pleased at his son's return and delighted with his marriage.
10. What does Abbas want to do while he's on holiday?
(a) Get married.
(b) Find a new job.
(c) Relax with his friends.
(d) Travel to the beach.
11. Why does Radwan Hussainy counsel Kirsha to be kind to those who envy him?
(a) Those who envy him do not understand his suffering.
(b) He should rejoice at his recovery.
(c) He should set a good example.
(d) Envy is worse than illness.
12. How long has Hamida been missing when Abbas returns?
(a) Two days.
(b) Two weeks.
(c) Two years.
(d) Two months.
13. What does Ibrahim Faraj say is his true profession?
(b) Headmaster of a school.
(c) Accountant of a busy firm.
(d) Dance instructor.
14. What part of Kirsha has suffered the worst damage from the heart attack?
(a) His nervous system.
(b) His digestive system.
(c) His respiratory system.
(d) His circulatory system.
15. How does the stranger irritate Kirsha?
(a) By paying his bill with small change.
(b) By paying his bill in large notes.
(c) By refusing to pay his bill.
(d) By paying for all his customers.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Hussain Kirsha avoid the cafe as he returns home?
2. What is the one thought that weakens Hamida's determination to go with Ibrahim Faraj?
3. How does Sheikh Darwish respond to Ibrahim Farhat's request for a blessing?
4. Why does Salim Alwan apologize to Sheikh Darwish?
5. Why do the boys advise Uncle Kamil to put up a poster of Ibrahim Farhat, the candidate?
This section contains 669 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)