|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why do the residents of the alley think they've been suffering during the war?
(a) Due to their own wickedness.
(b) Due to the malice of the gods.
(c) Due to the wickedness of the British.
(d) Due to random chance.
2. Why does Kirsha openly invite the boy to the cafe in front of everyone?
(a) He is actually trying to help the boy.
(b) Kirshha's vice is well known to them.
(c) They will not suspect him of wrongdoing.
(d) His intentions are innocent.
3. Why does Kirsha say the neighbors gossip about him?
(a) They want to help him.
(b) They are envious.
(c) They have always hated him.
(d) They are shocked by his behavior
4. How old is the photo Mrs. Afify sends to her suitor?
(a) Six years.
(b) It is new.
(c) Ten years.
(d) Two years.
5. How does the boy respond to Kirsha's invitation to come to his cafe?
(a) "A good jug pours forth good water."
(b) "Only a fool refuses generosity!"
(c) "If you want to eat, you must tire yourself out."
(d) "May God forgive your evil thoughts!"
6. What does Hamida believe is the key to the entire world?
(a) Reliable friends.
(b) True love.
(d) Good looks.
7. What does Kirsha blame himself for his wife's behavior?
(a) Kirsha should have beaten his wife.
(b) Kirsha should have left his wife.
(c) Kirsha should have educated his wife.
(d) Kirsha should have been kinder to his wife.
8. What does Radwan Hussainy advise Mrs. Kirsha to do about her husband's behavior?
(a) Flee from his house.
(b) Leave him to God.
(c) Turn him in to authorities.
(d) Try to win him back.
9. Why does Abbas say that Uncle Kamil is completely without profit for him?
(a) Uncle Kamil never pays his bills.
(b) Uncle Kamil takes more than his half of the food they share.
(c) Uncle Kamil doesn't pay his share of the rent.
(d) Uncle Kamil has no hair to cut.
10. What do his jealous friends call Hussain Kirsha?
(a) Hussain Kirsha the Fox.
(b) Hussain Kirsha the Ladykiller.
(c) Hussain Kirsha the Large.
(d) Hussain Kirsha the Garage.
11. Why were Zaita's parents happy when he was born?
(a) His beauty delighted them.
(b) They no longer had to rent a baby to beg with.
(c) They were proud to have a son.
(d) His laughter delighted them.
12. What are the professions of Salim Alwan's sons?
(a) A judge, an attorney, and a doctor.
(b) A teacher, a musician, and a barber.
(c) They are all merchants.
(d) They do not work.
13. How does Hamida react when she learns that Salim Alwan wants to marry her?
(a) Hamida reminds Umm Hamida that she is already engaged.
(b) Hamida is pleased.
(c) Hamida is outraged.
(d) Hamida determines to be loyal to Abbas.
14. What does Zaita say is the most precious deformity a beggar can have?
15. Why does Sheikh Darwish think Kirsha should love his wife?
(a) She is the most beautiful woman in the alley.
(b) She is a loving, patient woman.
(c) She is more male than female.
(d) She has put up with him for years.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Sheik Darwish always welcome?
2. Why does Hamida accept attention from Abbas?
3. Why does Mrs. Kirsha hesitate to confront Kirsha about his erotic adventures?
4. How many children does Salim Alwan have?
5. Why does Uncle Kamil say he can never marry?
This section contains 631 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)