|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Umm Hamida consult Radwan Hussainy about Salim Alwan's offer?
(a) Radwan Hussainy is a relative.
(b) Radwan Hussainy is paid for his advice.
(c) Their family always relies on his advice.
(d) Their family has no other man to consult.
2. What does Salim Alwan's lunch do for him?
(a) It gives him unusual energy for work.
(b) It makes him cheerful.
(c) It helps him to nap.
(d) It is an aphrodisiac.
3. What effect has personal sorrow had on Radwan Hussainy?
(a) It has made him loving and patient.
(b) It has made him sorrowful and despairing.
(c) It has made him cruel and unforgiving.
(d) It has made him pessimistic and fearful.
4. What does Salim Alwan want from Hamida?
(a) He wants her to be his second wife.
(b) He wants her to be mistress.
(c) He wants to adopt her.
(d) He wants her to work in his business.
5. Why were Zaita's parents happy when he was born?
(a) His beauty delighted them.
(b) His laughter delighted them.
(c) They were proud to have a son.
(d) They no longer had to rent a baby to beg with.
6. What do Hussain Kirsha's modern friends have that he envies?
(a) Steady employment.
7. What does Hussain Kirsha hope Hitler will do?
(a) Commit suicide.
(d) Fight for another twenty years.
8. Was is Radwan Hussainy an unusual landlord?
(a) He lets his tenants live rent-free.
(b) He raises the rent only once every five years.
(c) He raises the rent only once a year.
(d) He ignored a military edict to raise rent.
9. Why does Kirsha openly invite the boy to the cafe in front of everyone?
(a) His intentions are innocent.
(b) Kirshha's vice is well known to them.
(c) They will not suspect him of wrongdoing.
(d) He is actually trying to help the boy.
10. What does Mrs. Afify want from Umm Hamida?
(b) A husband.
(c) A love potion.
(d) More rent.
11. What does Abbas say that falling in love has done for him?
(a) "It's ruined my life."
(b) "It's made me content with the alley."
(c) "It's brought me great happiness."
(d) "It's made a new person of me."
12. Why does Zaita never refer to himself as "doctor?"
(a) Out of fear of calling attention to himself.
(b) Out of respect for Dr. Booshy.
(c) Because people would laugh at him.
(d) Because he has no respect for doctors.
13. How does Kirsha reacts when Hussain says he really will leave home?
(a) Kirsha refuses to speak.
(b) Kirsha begins to weep.
(c) Kirsha slaps Hussain.
(d) Kirsha leaves the room.
14. Why does Radwan Hussainy invite Kirsha into his home?
(a) "The home of the righteous is sealed against evil."
(b) "God blesses those who serve the poor."
(c) "A good jug gives forth good water."
(d) "The man who reforms a profligate is better than the man who sits with a believer."
15. Why does Mrs. Kirsha hesitate to confront Kirsha about his erotic adventures?
(a) She does not want to provide scandal for the gossips.
(b) She is afraid of his anger.
(c) She does not want her son to find out.
(d) She does not want to hurt his feelings.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Hamida accept attention from Abbas?
2. Why does Abbas say that Uncle Kamil is completely without profit for him?
3. How does Hussain Kirsha feel about his father's erotic adventures?
4. How many children does Mrs. Kirsha have?
5. What does Salim Alwan's company sell?
This section contains 624 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)