|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Hussain Kirsha hope Hitler will do?
(b) Commit suicide.
(c) Fight for another twenty years.
2. How does Hussain Kirsha feel about his father's erotic adventures?
(a) He thinks it is amusing.
(b) He is deeply ashamed.
(c) He does not want to be the object of gossip and jokes.
(d) He is scandalized.
3. How does Zaita help the strong man to become an efficient beggar?
(a) He blinds him.
(b) He teaches him to behave like an imbecile.
(c) He amputates an arm.
(d) He disfigures his face.
4. How much older is Mrs. Afify than her prospective husband?
(a) Ten years.
(b) Two years.
(c) Fifteen years.
(d) Twenty years.
5. How does Sanker disrespect the old poet?
(a) He closes the door in his face.
(b) He calls him names.
(c) He ignores his order for coffee.
(d) He demands that he leave the restaurant.
6. How does Zaita know the intimate details of the bakers' lives?
(a) Husniya tells him everything.
(b) Jaada confides in him.
(c) He can hear their arguing through the wall.
(d) He spies through a hole in the wall.
7. How many children does Mrs. Kirsha have?
8. What effect has personal sorrow had on Radwan Hussainy?
(a) It has made him pessimistic and fearful.
(b) It has made him sorrowful and despairing.
(c) It has made him cruel and unforgiving.
(d) It has made him loving and patient.
9. What does Zaita say is the most precious deformity a beggar can have?
10. What keeps Hamida from encouraging Salim Alwan?
(a) He's a married man and a father.
(b) He's too old for her.
(c) He's not rich enough for her.
(d) He's not handsome enough for her.
11. What does Salim Alwan's company sell?
12. How does Hamida react when she learns that Salim Alwan wants to marry her?
(a) Hamida reminds Umm Hamida that she is already engaged.
(b) Hamida is outraged.
(c) Hamida determines to be loyal to Abbas.
(d) Hamida is pleased.
13. What does Mrs. Afify suspect is causing Umm Hamida to delay in finding her a husband?
(a) Umm Hamida wants more money than they agreed upon.
(b) Umm Hamida is taking the best man for herself.
(c) Umm Hamida is distracted by Hamida's engagement.
(d) Umm Hamida can't find a suitable man.
14. How does Zaita treat his clients?
(a) He is as kind and patient as possible.
(b) He is as fast and efficient as possible.
(c) He is as cruel and vicious as possible.
(d) He is as friendly and encouraging as possible.
15. What does Kirsha believe is replacing public recitations?
(a) The radio.
(b) Musical performers.
(d) Individual memorization.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Kirsha mean when he says a "galman"?
2. Why is Kirsha poor?
3. What does Salim Alwan's lunch do for him?
4. What does Kirsha blame himself for his wife's behavior?
5. Why does Sheikh Darwish think Kirsha should love his wife?
This section contains 562 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)