|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Umma Hamida pleased with Salim Alwan's offer?
(a) The marriage will be a financial benefit to her.
(b) The marriage will be a professional success for her.
(c) The marriage will make Hamida happy.
(d) The marriage will get Hamida out of her house.
2. How long has the poet been reciting in Kirsha's cafe?
(a) Two weeks.
(b) Two years.
(c) All evening.
(d) Twenty years.
3. How much older is Mrs. Afify than her prospective husband?
(a) Ten years.
(b) Two years.
(c) Fifteen years.
(d) Twenty years.
4. What keeps Hamida from encouraging Salim Alwan?
(a) He's a married man and a father.
(b) He's too old for her.
(c) He's not handsome enough for her.
(d) He's not rich enough for her.
5. Why is Kirsha poor?
(a) Mrs. Kirsha takes all his money.
(b) Kirsha's money goes to support Hussain Kirsha's lifestyle.
(c) Kirsha's cafe does not make a profit.
(d) Kirsha squanders his money.
6. What does Radwan Hussainy advise Mrs. Kirsha to do about her husband's behavior?
(a) Flee from his house.
(b) Leave him to God.
(c) Turn him in to authorities.
(d) Try to win him back.
7. How does Zaita know the intimate details of the bakers' lives?
(a) Husniya tells him everything.
(b) Jaada confides in him.
(c) He can hear their arguing through the wall.
(d) He spies through a hole in the wall.
8. What does Hamida believe is the key to the entire world?
(b) Reliable friends.
(c) True love.
(d) Good looks.
9. Why is Sheik Darwish always welcome?
(a) He is garrulous and entertaining.
(b) He is lively and intelligent.
(c) He is wealthy and generous.
(d) His presence is a good sign.
10. How does Sanker disrespect the old poet?
(a) He demands that he leave the restaurant.
(b) He closes the door in his face.
(c) He calls him names.
(d) He ignores his order for coffee.
11. How does Hussain Kirsha convince Abbas to go to work for the British?
(a) Hussain Kirsha tells Abbas he will never win Hamida unless he does.
(b) Hussain Kirsha tells Abbas that no one in the alley cares for him.
(c) Hussain Kirsha tells Abbas that the British are the Egyptians' true friends.
(d) Hussain Kirsha tells Abbas his life is boring.
12. How many children does Salim Alwan have?
13. How often does Jaada go to the baths?
(a) Twice a year.
(b) Each month.
14. What does Sheikh Darwish say about Abbas' love of Hamida?
(a) "The meaning of this in English is tragedy."
(b) "The meaning of this in English is joy."
(c) "The meaning of this in English is confusion."
(d) "The meaning of this in English is romance."
15. What relation is Mrs. Kirsha to Hamida?
(a) She was a wet nurse to the child.
(b) She is secretly her mother.
(c) She is her foster mother.
(d) She is her aunt.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Sheik Darwish live?
2. How does Hamida respond to Abbas' words of love?
3. What does Hamida believe is everything in life?
4. Why does Zaita never refer to himself as "doctor?"
5. Why does Abbas think Hamida talks of money rather than of love?
This section contains 586 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)