|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Radwan Hussainy invite Kirsha into his home?
(a) "The home of the righteous is sealed against evil."
(b) "A good jug gives forth good water."
(c) "God blesses those who serve the poor."
(d) "The man who reforms a profligate is better than the man who sits with a believer."
2. How has Dr. Booshy earned his title?
(a) He was apprenticed to a dentist.
(b) He studied at the university in Cairo.
(c) His patients call him "doctor."
(d) He studied dentistry abroad.
3. What does Salim Alwan believe that Allah has done to make men's lives easier?
(a) Made sharp bargaining acceptable.
(b) Provided for them to marry one woman.
(c) Provided for them to take more than one wife.
(d) Made hashish legal.
4. How does Hamida react when she learns that Salim Alwan wants to marry her?
(a) Hamida is pleased.
(b) Hamida is outraged.
(c) Hamida reminds Umm Hamida that she is already engaged.
(d) Hamida determines to be loyal to Abbas.
5. What does Salim Alwan eat for lunch each day?
(a) Rice and meat.
(b) Potatoes and vegetables.
(c) Sprouted alfalfa with vegetables.
(d) Vegetables, potatoes, and a bowl of green wheat with pigeon meat and nutmeg.
6. What does Zaita say is the most precious deformity a beggar can have?
7. Why was Zaita happy as a child?
(a) His family had a comfortable home in those days.
(b) The muddy sidewalk was a summer resort for him.
(c) He played at a swimming hole.
(d) His family took him to a summer resort.
8. How many children does Mrs. Kirsha have?
9. What keeps Hamida from encouraging Salim Alwan?
(a) He's not handsome enough for her.
(b) He's a married man and a father.
(c) He's too old for her.
(d) He's not rich enough for her.
10. Why is Kirsha poor?
(a) Kirsha squanders his money.
(b) Kirsha's cafe does not make a profit.
(c) Kirsha's money goes to support Hussain Kirsha's lifestyle.
(d) Mrs. Kirsha takes all his money.
11. What are the professions of Salim Alwan's sons?
(a) They are all merchants.
(b) They do not work.
(c) A teacher, a musician, and a barber.
(d) A judge, an attorney, and a doctor.
12. How long has the poet been reciting in Kirsha's cafe?
(a) Twenty years.
(b) Two years.
(c) Two weeks.
(d) All evening.
13. What tragedies have befallen Radwan Hussain?
(a) The loss of his fortune and the death of his wife.
(b) The death of his wife and his failed university exams.
(c) The death of his children and the loss of his friends.
(d) Failed university exams and the death of his children.
14. What does Salim Alwan's company sell?
15. How does Zaita know the intimate details of the bakers' lives?
(a) He can hear their arguing through the wall.
(b) Husniya tells him everything.
(c) He spies through a hole in the wall.
(d) Jaada confides in him.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do his jealous friends call Hussain Kirsha?
2. Why does Umm Hamida consult Radwan Hussainy about Salim Alwan's offer?
3. How does Radwan Hussainy advise Mrs. Kirsha to deal with her husband's weakness?
4. What does Kirsha believe is replacing public recitations?
5. What does Kirsha blame himself for his wife's behavior?
This section contains 609 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)