|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Hamida respond to Abbas' words of love?
(a) Abbas' words of love please her vanity, but not her heart.
(b) Abbas' words make her angry.
(c) Hamida has no interest in Abbas' words.
(d) Abbas' words cause her to fall in love.
2. How has Dr. Booshy earned his title?
(a) He studied dentistry abroad.
(b) His patients call him "doctor."
(c) He studied at the university in Cairo.
(d) He was apprenticed to a dentist.
3. What relation is Umm Hamida to Hamida?
(a) She was a wet nurse to the child.
(b) She is secrety her mother.
(c) She is her aunt.
(d) She is her foster mother.
4. How does Radwan Hussainy advise Mrs. Kirsha to deal with her husband's weakness?
(a) Radwan Hussainy advises Mrs. Kirsha to pray.
(b) Radwan Hussainy advises Mrs. Kirsha to seek divorce.
(c) Radwan Hussainy advises Mrs. Kirsha to teach her husband.
(d) Radway Hussainy advises Mrs. Kirsha to keep her husband's weakness secret.
5. Why does Umm Hamida consult Radwan Hussainy about Salim Alwan's offer?
(a) Their family always relies on his advice.
(b) Radwan Hussainy is a relative.
(c) Their family has no other man to consult.
(d) Radwan Hussainy is paid for his advice.
6. What trick does Abbas play on Uncle Kamil?
(a) Abbas convinces Uncle Kamil that he will never die.
(b) Abbas convinces Uncle Kamil that he will live much longer.
(c) Abbas convinces Uncle Kamil that he has bought him a nice shroud.
(d) Abbas convinces Uncle Kamil that he will pay for his burial.
7. How does Hamida deal with moral issues?
(a) Umm Hamida has taught Hamida morality.
(b) Radwan Hussainy has taught Hamida morality.
(c) Morals are no part of Hamida's nature.
(d) Hamida is instinctively moral.
8. Why is Uncle Kamil unafraid of dying?
(a) He is in constant pain.
(b) He wants to be reunited with his wife.
(c) His life is merely a prolonged sleep.
(d) He has led a sinless life.
9. How does Hamida react when she learns that Salim Alwan wants to marry her?
(a) Hamida reminds Umm Hamida that she is already engaged.
(b) Hamida is outraged.
(c) Hamida is pleased.
(d) Hamida determines to be loyal to Abbas.
10. How does Salim Alwan deal with his family?
(a) He is critical and demeaning.
(b) He is kind and generous.
(c) He is cruel and demanding.
(d) He is distant and uninvolved.
11. What does Radwan Hussainy advise Mrs. Kirsha to do about her husband's behavior?
(a) Try to win him back.
(b) Turn him in to authorities.
(c) Flee from his house.
(d) Leave him to God.
12. Why does Salim Alwan avoid a political career?
(a) He makes more money in commerce.
(b) He does not understand politics.
(c) He does not like politics.
(d) He has never been invited to participate in politics.
13. What do his jealous friends call Hussain Kirsha?
(a) Hussain Kirsha the Large.
(b) Hussain Kirsha the Ladykiller.
(c) Hussain Kirsha the Fox.
(d) Hussain Kirsha the Garage.
14. What does Kirsha blame himself for his wife's behavior?
(a) Kirsha should have educated his wife.
(b) Kirsha should have been kinder to his wife.
(c) Kirsha should have beaten his wife.
(d) Kirsha should have left his wife.
15. Why does Abbas say that Uncle Kamil is completely without profit for him?
(a) Uncle Kamil never pays his bills.
(b) Uncle Kamil doesn't pay his share of the rent.
(c) Uncle Kamil has no hair to cut.
(d) Uncle Kamil takes more than his half of the food they share.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Umma Hamida pleased with Salim Alwan's offer?
2. How does Husniya react when Zaita reveals himself to her?
3. Why does Hamida fear marriage?
4. What bad habits does Kirsha have?
5. What does Hamida feel for Abbas as they walk together?
This section contains 677 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)