|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Hamida respond to Abbas' words of love?
(a) Hamida has no interest in Abbas' words.
(b) Abbas' words of love please her vanity, but not her heart.
(c) Abbas' words cause her to fall in love.
(d) Abbas' words make her angry.
2. Why does Zaita never refer to himself as "doctor?"
(a) Because he has no respect for doctors.
(b) Because people would laugh at him.
(c) Out of fear of calling attention to himself.
(d) Out of respect for Dr. Booshy.
3. Why does Kirsha say the neighbors gossip about him?
(a) They have always hated him.
(b) They want to help him.
(c) They are envious.
(d) They are shocked by his behavior
4. How many children does Salim Alwan have?
5. What does Hamida believe is the key to the entire world?
(b) Good looks.
(c) Reliable friends.
(d) True love.
6. How old is the photo Mrs. Afify sends to her suitor?
(a) Six years.
(b) Two years.
(c) It is new.
(d) Ten years.
7. How does Zaita help the strong man to become an efficient beggar?
(a) He disfigures his face.
(b) He blinds him.
(c) He amputates an arm.
(d) He teaches him to behave like an imbecile.
8. Why does Uncle Kamil say he can never marry?
(a) He is mourning the death of his first wife.
(b) He just hasn't met the right girl.
(c) He is not attracted to women.
(d) His enormous belly is a fortress.
9. What do his jealous friends call Hussain Kirsha?
(a) Hussain Kirsha the Large.
(b) Hussain Kirsha the Fox.
(c) Hussain Kirsha the Garage.
(d) Hussain Kirsha the Ladykiller.
10. Was is Radwan Hussainy an unusual landlord?
(a) He raises the rent only once every five years.
(b) He ignored a military edict to raise rent.
(c) He raises the rent only once a year.
(d) He lets his tenants live rent-free.
11. What does Hamida feel for Abbas as they walk together?
(a) Intense attraction.
(b) Neither attraction nor aversion.
(c) Deep curiosity.
(d) Intense aversion.
12. How does Hussain Kirsha feel about his father's erotic adventures?
(a) He does not want to be the object of gossip and jokes.
(b) He is scandalized.
(c) He thinks it is amusing.
(d) He is deeply ashamed.
13. How does Radwan Hussainy advise Mrs. Kirsha to deal with her husband's weakness?
(a) Radwan Hussainy advises Mrs. Kirsha to pray.
(b) Radwan Hussainy advises Mrs. Kirsha to teach her husband.
(c) Radwan Hussainy advises Mrs. Kirsha to seek divorce.
(d) Radway Hussainy advises Mrs. Kirsha to keep her husband's weakness secret.
14. What keeps Hamida from encouraging Salim Alwan?
(a) He's not handsome enough for her.
(b) He's a married man and a father.
(c) He's too old for her.
(d) He's not rich enough for her.
15. How does Salim Alwan deal with his family?
(a) He is cruel and demanding.
(b) He is kind and generous.
(c) He is distant and uninvolved.
(d) He is critical and demeaning.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Sheik Darwish live?
2. How long will Abbas be in the service of the British army?
3. What do Hussain Kirsha's modern friends have that he envies?
4. What effect has personal sorrow had on Radwan Hussainy?
5. Why is Uncle Kamil unafraid of dying?
This section contains 581 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)