|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Hamida feel for Abbas as they walk together?
(a) Intense aversion.
(b) Deep curiosity.
(c) Intense attraction.
(d) Neither attraction nor aversion.
2. How many children does Salim Alwan have?
3. Why does Kirsha openly invite the boy to the cafe in front of everyone?
(a) His intentions are innocent.
(b) He is actually trying to help the boy.
(c) They will not suspect him of wrongdoing.
(d) Kirshha's vice is well known to them.
4. How do the residents of the alley believe women should be treated?
(a) Like queens.
(b) Like goddesses.
(c) Like harlots.
(d) Like children.
5. What does Hamida believe is the key to the entire world?
(b) Reliable friends.
(c) Good looks.
(d) True love.
6. Why does Hamida fear marriage?
(a) Hamida loves children and hates clothes.
(b) Hamidais afraid she won't have children.
(c) Hamida is afraid she cannot be a worthy wife.
(d) Hamida loves clothes and hates children.
7. Why does Uncle Kamil say he can never marry?
(a) His enormous belly is a fortress.
(b) He just hasn't met the right girl.
(c) He is mourning the death of his first wife.
(d) He is not attracted to women.
8. How often does Jaada go to the baths?
(b) Each month.
(d) Twice a year.
9. Why is Uncle Kamil unafraid of dying?
(a) He wants to be reunited with his wife.
(b) He is in constant pain.
(c) He has led a sinless life.
(d) His life is merely a prolonged sleep.
10. What does Salim Alwan eat for lunch each day?
(a) Potatoes and vegetables.
(b) Sprouted alfalfa with vegetables.
(c) Rice and meat.
(d) Vegetables, potatoes, and a bowl of green wheat with pigeon meat and nutmeg.
11. Why is Umma Hamida pleased with Salim Alwan's offer?
(a) The marriage will be a professional success for her.
(b) The marriage will get Hamida out of her house.
(c) The marriage will be a financial benefit to her.
(d) The marriage will make Hamida happy.
12. Where does Sheik Darwish live?
(a) He is homeless.
(b) He rents a room from Radwan Hussainy.
(c) He lives in the cafe.
(d) He rents a room fro Kirsha.
13. How does Hussain Kirsha convince Abbas to go to work for the British?
(a) Hussain Kirsha tells Abbas his life is boring.
(b) Hussain Kirsha tells Abbas that the British are the Egyptians' true friends.
(c) Hussain Kirsha tells Abbas that no one in the alley cares for him.
(d) Hussain Kirsha tells Abbas he will never win Hamida unless he does.
14. Why do the residents of the alley think they've been suffering during the war?
(a) Due to the wickedness of the British.
(b) Due to the malice of the gods.
(c) Due to their own wickedness.
(d) Due to random chance.
15. What does Mrs. Afify want from Umm Hamida?
(b) More rent.
(c) A husband.
(d) A love potion.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Umm Hamida consult Radwan Hussainy about Salim Alwan's offer?
2. Why was Zaita happy as a child?
3. Who is the only person in constant motion in the cafe?
4. What is Mrs. Kirsha's personality when she visits Radwan Hussainy?
5. What relation is Mrs. Kirsha to Hamida?
This section contains 595 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)