|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is the only person in constant motion in the cafe?
(b) Mrs. Kirsha.
2. How long will Abbas be in the service of the British army?
(a) Less than a year.
(b) At least six months.
(c) Five years.
(d) A year or two.
3. Why does Hamida envy Jewish girls?
(a) They have jobs.
(b) They have boyfriends.
(c) They have automobiles.
(d) They have nice clothes.
4. What do Hussain Kirsha's modern friends have that he envies?
(d) Steady employment.
5. How does Salim Alwan deal with his family?
(a) He is critical and demeaning.
(b) He is cruel and demanding.
(c) He is kind and generous.
(d) He is distant and uninvolved.
6. How does Hamida feel about Abbas?
(a) Hamida neither likes nor dislikes Abbas.
(b) Hamida is secretly delighted with his attention.
(c) Hamida secretly loves Abbas.
(d) Hamida secretly hates Abbas.
7. How often does Jaada go to the baths?
(a) Twice a year.
(c) Each month.
8. How is Hamida's engagement to Abbas confirmed?
(a) By pledging before witnesses.
(b) By signing a contract.
(c) By giving Hamida a diamond ring.
(d) By the reading of the Qur'an.
9. What stops the engagement of Salim Alwan to Hamida?
(a) Radwan Hussainy talks Salim Alwan out of the idea.
(b) Salim Alwan has a heart attack.
(c) Salim Alwan changes his mind.
(d) Mrs. Alwan stops Salim Alwan.
10. How does the boy respond to Kirsha's invitation to come to his cafe?
(a) "Only a fool refuses generosity!"
(b) "A good jug pours forth good water."
(c) "May God forgive your evil thoughts!"
(d) "If you want to eat, you must tire yourself out."
11. What does Kirsha blame himself for his wife's behavior?
(a) Kirsha should have educated his wife.
(b) Kirsha should have left his wife.
(c) Kirsha should have been kinder to his wife.
(d) Kirsha should have beaten his wife.
12. What does Salim Alwan want from Hamida?
(a) He wants her to be mistress.
(b) He wants her to be his second wife.
(c) He wants to adopt her.
(d) He wants her to work in his business.
13. How has Dr. Booshy earned his title?
(a) His patients call him "doctor."
(b) He studied at the university in Cairo.
(c) He studied dentistry abroad.
(d) He was apprenticed to a dentist.
14. Why does Abbas say that Uncle Kamil is completely without profit for him?
(a) Uncle Kamil doesn't pay his share of the rent.
(b) Uncle Kamil has no hair to cut.
(c) Uncle Kamil takes more than his half of the food they share.
(d) Uncle Kamil never pays his bills.
15. Why is Umma Hamida pleased with Salim Alwan's offer?
(a) The marriage will be a professional success for her.
(b) The marriage will be a financial benefit to her.
(c) The marriage will make Hamida happy.
(d) The marriage will get Hamida out of her house.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why do people in the alley avoid Zaita?
2. Why does Mrs. Kirsha hesitate to confront Kirsha about his erotic adventures?
3. Why does Sheikh Darwish think Kirsha should love his wife?
4. How does Kirsha reacts when Hussain says he really will leave home?
5. Why does Radwan Hussainy invite Kirsha into his home?
This section contains 614 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)