|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Was is Radwan Hussainy an unusual landlord?
(a) He lets his tenants live rent-free.
(b) He ignored a military edict to raise rent.
(c) He raises the rent only once a year.
(d) He raises the rent only once every five years.
2. How does Sanker disrespect the old poet?
(a) He calls him names.
(b) He closes the door in his face.
(c) He ignores his order for coffee.
(d) He demands that he leave the restaurant.
3. What bad habits does Kirsha have?
(a) Tobacco and lying.
(b) Hashish and relations with boys.
(c) Coffee and tobacco.
(d) Alcohol and hashish.
4. What does Zaita say is the most precious deformity a beggar can have?
5. Why does Umm Hamida consult Radwan Hussainy about Salim Alwan's offer?
(a) Their family always relies on his advice.
(b) Radwan Hussainy is paid for his advice.
(c) Their family has no other man to consult.
(d) Radwan Hussainy is a relative.
6. Why does Abbas think Hamida talks of money rather than of love?
(a) Hamida is only interested in money.
(b) Hamida's love for him has overwhelmed her.
(c) Poverty has colored Hamida's thinking.
(d) Modesty conceals Hamida's real interest in him.
7. Why does Sheikh Darwish think Kirsha should love his wife?
(a) She has put up with him for years.
(b) She is the most beautiful woman in the alley.
(c) She is more male than female.
(d) She is a loving, patient woman.
8. What stops the engagement of Salim Alwan to Hamida?
(a) Salim Alwan changes his mind.
(b) Salim Alwan has a heart attack.
(c) Radwan Hussainy talks Salim Alwan out of the idea.
(d) Mrs. Alwan stops Salim Alwan.
9. Why is Sheik Darwish always welcome?
(a) He is lively and intelligent.
(b) His presence is a good sign.
(c) He is wealthy and generous.
(d) He is garrulous and entertaining.
10. Why does Hamida envy Jewish girls?
(a) They have boyfriends.
(b) They have nice clothes.
(c) They have jobs.
(d) They have automobiles.
11. How does Hussain Kirsha feel about his father's erotic adventures?
(a) He does not want to be the object of gossip and jokes.
(b) He is deeply ashamed.
(c) He is scandalized.
(d) He thinks it is amusing.
12. Why do people in the alley avoid Zaita?
(a) His unfriendly attitude.
(b) His offensive odor.
(c) His offensive profession.
(d) His thieving nature.
13. What does Kirsha believe is replacing public recitations?
(b) The radio.
(c) Individual memorization.
(d) Musical performers.
14. How does Zaita know the intimate details of the bakers' lives?
(a) Jaada confides in him.
(b) He spies through a hole in the wall.
(c) Husniya tells him everything.
(d) He can hear their arguing through the wall.
15. How old is the photo Mrs. Afify sends to her suitor?
(a) Six years.
(b) Ten years.
(c) It is new.
(d) Two years.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Umma Hamida pleased with Salim Alwan's offer?
2. What does Hamida feel for Abbas as they walk together?
3. What does Hussain Kirsha hope Hitler will do?
4. What does Radwan Hussainy pray for when he learns of Mrs. Kirsha's trouble?
5. What trick does Abbas play on Uncle Kamil?
This section contains 607 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)