|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What keeps Hamida from encouraging Salim Alwan?
(a) He's not rich enough for her.
(b) He's not handsome enough for her.
(c) He's too old for her.
(d) He's a married man and a father.
2. Why was Zaita happy as a child?
(a) His family took him to a summer resort.
(b) The muddy sidewalk was a summer resort for him.
(c) He played at a swimming hole.
(d) His family had a comfortable home in those days.
3. Was is Radwan Hussainy an unusual landlord?
(a) He raises the rent only once every five years.
(b) He ignored a military edict to raise rent.
(c) He lets his tenants live rent-free.
(d) He raises the rent only once a year.
4. What does Hamida believe is everything in life?
5. What tragedies have befallen Radwan Hussain?
(a) The death of his wife and his failed university exams.
(b) The death of his children and the loss of his friends.
(c) Failed university exams and the death of his children.
(d) The loss of his fortune and the death of his wife.
6. How does Kirsha defend his lustful conduct?
(a) "There is no evil in what I do."
(b) "I am trying to save the boy from harm."
(c) "All men do many things that are dirty."
(d) "I can't help myself."
7. How does Zaita help the strong man to become an efficient beggar?
(a) He teaches him to behave like an imbecile.
(b) He disfigures his face.
(c) He blinds him.
(d) He amputates an arm.
8. How is Radwan Hussainy regarded by pious men like himself?
(a) Radwan Hussainy is their teacher of the Qur'an.
(b) Radwan Hussainy is a scholar with great learning.
(c) Radwan Hussainy is limited and weak.
(d) Radwan Hussainy is a saintly man of god.
9. What stops the engagement of Salim Alwan to Hamida?
(a) Mrs. Alwan stops Salim Alwan.
(b) Radwan Hussainy talks Salim Alwan out of the idea.
(c) Salim Alwan has a heart attack.
(d) Salim Alwan changes his mind.
10. What does Salim Alwan's company sell?
11. What does Radwan Hussainy advise Mrs. Kirsha to do about her husband's behavior?
(a) Leave him to God.
(b) Turn him in to authorities.
(c) Try to win him back.
(d) Flee from his house.
12. What does Radwan Hussainy pray for when he learns of Mrs. Kirsha's trouble?
(a) Radwan Hussainy prays that he will be able to help.
(b) Radwan Hussainy prays that Mrs. Kirsha will forgive her husband.
(c) Radwan Hussainy prays that his own soul will be free of wickness.
(d) Radwan Hussainy prays that Kirsha will overcome his weakness.
13. How does Hamida react when she learns that Salim Alwan wants to marry her?
(a) Hamida is outraged.
(b) Hamida determines to be loyal to Abbas.
(c) Hamida is pleased.
(d) Hamida reminds Umm Hamida that she is already engaged.
14. Why does Radwan Hussainy invite Kirsha into his home?
(a) "The man who reforms a profligate is better than the man who sits with a believer."
(b) "A good jug gives forth good water."
(c) "The home of the righteous is sealed against evil."
(d) "God blesses those who serve the poor."
15. Why does Zaita never refer to himself as "doctor?"
(a) Out of fear of calling attention to himself.
(b) Out of respect for Dr. Booshy.
(c) Because he has no respect for doctors.
(d) Because people would laugh at him.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Radwan Hussainy advise Mrs. Kirsha to deal with her husband's weakness?
2. How many children does Mrs. Kirsha have?
3. Where does Sheik Darwish live?
4. How does Kirsha reacts when Hussain says he really will leave home?
5. Why is Uncle Kamil unafraid of dying?
This section contains 668 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)