|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When does Zaita begin work?
(a) At sunup.
(b) At midnight.
(c) At noon.
(d) At sundown.
2. What does Radwan Hussainy pray for when he learns of Mrs. Kirsha's trouble?
(a) Radwan Hussainy prays that Kirsha will overcome his weakness.
(b) Radwan Hussainy prays that Mrs. Kirsha will forgive her husband.
(c) Radwan Hussainy prays that his own soul will be free of wickness.
(d) Radwan Hussainy prays that he will be able to help.
3. How much older is Mrs. Afify than her prospective husband?
(a) Fifteen years.
(b) Two years.
(c) Twenty years.
(d) Ten years.
4. What stops the engagement of Salim Alwan to Hamida?
(a) Salim Alwan has a heart attack.
(b) Mrs. Alwan stops Salim Alwan.
(c) Salim Alwan changes his mind.
(d) Radwan Hussainy talks Salim Alwan out of the idea.
5. What tragedies have befallen Radwan Hussain?
(a) The death of his wife and his failed university exams.
(b) The death of his children and the loss of his friends.
(c) Failed university exams and the death of his children.
(d) The loss of his fortune and the death of his wife.
6. How does Husniya react when Zaita reveals himself to her?
(a) She falls into his arms.
(b) She throws a heavy mug at him.
(c) She promises to meet him later.
(d) She insults his manhood.
7. How old is the photo Mrs. Afify sends to her suitor?
(a) Ten years.
(b) Six years.
(c) Two years.
(d) It is new.
8. What does Kirsha blame himself for his wife's behavior?
(a) Kirsha should have beaten his wife.
(b) Kirsha should have left his wife.
(c) Kirsha should have been kinder to his wife.
(d) Kirsha should have educated his wife.
9. What does Mrs. Afify want from Umm Hamida?
(a) A husband.
(b) More rent.
(c) A love potion.
10. Why do patients accept Dr. Booshy's painful cures?
(a) His fees are so low.
(b) They believe he is the best.
(c) They believe pain is the best healer.
(d) They believe pain is inescapable.
11. Why is Umma Hamida pleased with Salim Alwan's offer?
(a) The marriage will get Hamida out of her house.
(b) The marriage will be a professional success for her.
(c) The marriage will make Hamida happy.
(d) The marriage will be a financial benefit to her.
12. How does Hussain Kirsha convince Abbas to go to work for the British?
(a) Hussain Kirsha tells Abbas his life is boring.
(b) Hussain Kirsha tells Abbas that no one in the alley cares for him.
(c) Hussain Kirsha tells Abbas he will never win Hamida unless he does.
(d) Hussain Kirsha tells Abbas that the British are the Egyptians' true friends.
13. How does Radwan Hussainy advise Mrs. Kirsha to deal with her husband's weakness?
(a) Radway Hussainy advises Mrs. Kirsha to keep her husband's weakness secret.
(b) Radwan Hussainy advises Mrs. Kirsha to pray.
(c) Radwan Hussainy advises Mrs. Kirsha to teach her husband.
(d) Radwan Hussainy advises Mrs. Kirsha to seek divorce.
14. How does Hamida feel about Abbas?
(a) Hamida is secretly delighted with his attention.
(b) Hamida neither likes nor dislikes Abbas.
(c) Hamida secretly loves Abbas.
(d) Hamida secretly hates Abbas.
15. How has Dr. Booshy earned his title?
(a) He was apprenticed to a dentist.
(b) His patients call him "doctor."
(c) He studied at the university in Cairo.
(d) He studied dentistry abroad.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Sheik Darwish live?
2. How many children does Mrs. Kirsha have?
3. How does Hamida deal with moral issues?
4. Why was Zaita happy as a child?
5. Why does Zaita never refer to himself as "doctor?"
This section contains 646 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)