|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Hamida envy Jewish girls?
(a) They have automobiles.
(b) They have jobs.
(c) They have boyfriends.
(d) They have nice clothes.
2. How does Husniya react when Zaita reveals himself to her?
(a) She falls into his arms.
(b) She promises to meet him later.
(c) She insults his manhood.
(d) She throws a heavy mug at him.
3. How does the boy respond to Kirsha's invitation to come to his cafe?
(a) "May God forgive your evil thoughts!"
(b) "Only a fool refuses generosity!"
(c) "If you want to eat, you must tire yourself out."
(d) "A good jug pours forth good water."
4. What do his jealous friends call Hussain Kirsha?
(a) Hussain Kirsha the Large.
(b) Hussain Kirsha the Fox.
(c) Hussain Kirsha the Ladykiller.
(d) Hussain Kirsha the Garage.
5. What trick does Abbas play on Uncle Kamil?
(a) Abbas convinces Uncle Kamil that he has bought him a nice shroud.
(b) Abbas convinces Uncle Kamil that he will live much longer.
(c) Abbas convinces Uncle Kamil that he will pay for his burial.
(d) Abbas convinces Uncle Kamil that he will never die.
6. How often does Jaada go to the baths?
(b) Twice a year.
(d) Each month.
7. How old is the photo Mrs. Afify sends to her suitor?
(a) Six years.
(b) Ten years.
(c) Two years.
(d) It is new.
8. How has Dr. Booshy earned his title?
(a) He studied dentistry abroad.
(b) He studied at the university in Cairo.
(c) He was apprenticed to a dentist.
(d) His patients call him "doctor."
9. Why is Uncle Kamil unafraid of dying?
(a) He wants to be reunited with his wife.
(b) He has led a sinless life.
(c) His life is merely a prolonged sleep.
(d) He is in constant pain.
10. Why does Sheikh Darwish think Kirsha should love his wife?
(a) She has put up with him for years.
(b) She is a loving, patient woman.
(c) She is more male than female.
(d) She is the most beautiful woman in the alley.
11. What effect has personal sorrow had on Radwan Hussainy?
(a) It has made him cruel and unforgiving.
(b) It has made him loving and patient.
(c) It has made him sorrowful and despairing.
(d) It has made him pessimistic and fearful.
12. How does Hussain Kirsha convince Abbas to go to work for the British?
(a) Hussain Kirsha tells Abbas he will never win Hamida unless he does.
(b) Hussain Kirsha tells Abbas that the British are the Egyptians' true friends.
(c) Hussain Kirsha tells Abbas his life is boring.
(d) Hussain Kirsha tells Abbas that no one in the alley cares for him.
13. What keeps Hamida from encouraging Salim Alwan?
(a) He's not handsome enough for her.
(b) He's a married man and a father.
(c) He's not rich enough for her.
(d) He's too old for her.
14. When does Zaita begin work?
(a) At sundown.
(b) At midnight.
(c) At sunup.
(d) At noon.
15. How does Salim Alwan deal with his family?
(a) He is kind and generous.
(b) He is distant and uninvolved.
(c) He is cruel and demanding.
(d) He is critical and demeaning.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Hamida believe is everything in life?
2. How does Hamida react when she learns that Salim Alwan wants to marry her?
3. How long has the poet been reciting in Kirsha's cafe?
4. What tragedies have befallen Radwan Hussain?
5. What does Radwan Hussainy advise Mrs. Kirsha to do about her husband's behavior?
This section contains 613 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)