|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Hamida fear marriage?
(a) Hamidais afraid she won't have children.
(b) Hamida loves children and hates clothes.
(c) Hamida loves clothes and hates children.
(d) Hamida is afraid she cannot be a worthy wife.
2. What is Mrs. Kirsha's personality when she visits Radwan Hussainy?
(a) Mrs. Kirsha is shy and diffident.
(b) Mrs. Kirsha is fearful and ashamed.
(c) Mrs. Kirsha is hesitant and unsure of herself.
(d) Mrs. Kirsha is fearless and shameless.
3. What does Hamida believe is everything in life?
4. Why does Sheikh Darwish think Kirsha should love his wife?
(a) She has put up with him for years.
(b) She is the most beautiful woman in the alley.
(c) She is a loving, patient woman.
(d) She is more male than female.
5. How does Zaita react to being compared with Jaada?
(a) He is flattered.
(b) He is insulted.
(c) He is encouraged in his pursuit of Husniya.
(d) He is unsurprised.
6. What does Hamida believe is the key to the entire world?
(a) True love.
(c) Reliable friends.
(d) Good looks.
7. What does Radwan Hussainy pray for when he learns of Mrs. Kirsha's trouble?
(a) Radwan Hussainy prays that Kirsha will overcome his weakness.
(b) Radwan Hussainy prays that Mrs. Kirsha will forgive her husband.
(c) Radwan Hussainy prays that his own soul will be free of wickness.
(d) Radwan Hussainy prays that he will be able to help.
8. Why does Kirsha say the neighbors gossip about him?
(a) They want to help him.
(b) They have always hated him.
(c) They are shocked by his behavior
(d) They are envious.
9. How does Husniya react when Zaita reveals himself to her?
(a) She throws a heavy mug at him.
(b) She falls into his arms.
(c) She insults his manhood.
(d) She promises to meet him later.
10. What does Zaita say is the most precious deformity a beggar can have?
11. What does Hussain Kirsha hope Hitler will do?
(c) Fight for another twenty years.
(d) Commit suicide.
12. When does Zaita begin work?
(a) At sunup.
(b) At midnight.
(c) At sundown.
(d) At noon.
13. What does Abbas say is everything in life?
14. Why do the residents of the alley think they've been suffering during the war?
(a) Due to random chance.
(b) Due to the wickedness of the British.
(c) Due to their own wickedness.
(d) Due to the malice of the gods.
15. How does Radwan Hussainy advise Mrs. Kirsha to deal with her husband's weakness?
(a) Radwan Hussainy advises Mrs. Kirsha to seek divorce.
(b) Radwan Hussainy advises Mrs. Kirsha to teach her husband.
(c) Radway Hussainy advises Mrs. Kirsha to keep her husband's weakness secret.
(d) Radwan Hussainy advises Mrs. Kirsha to pray.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Sheik Darwish always welcome?
2. What tragedies have befallen Radwan Hussain?
3. Why does Umm Hamida object to Salim Alwan's desire to marry Hamida?
4. How is Radwan Hussainy regarded by pious men like himself?
5. How has Dr. Booshy earned his title?
This section contains 603 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)