|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How has Dr. Booshy earned his title?
(a) He studied at the university in Cairo.
(b) He was apprenticed to a dentist.
(c) His patients call him "doctor."
(d) He studied dentistry abroad.
2. How does Husniya react when Zaita reveals himself to her?
(a) She throws a heavy mug at him.
(b) She falls into his arms.
(c) She promises to meet him later.
(d) She insults his manhood.
3. What keeps Hamida from encouraging Salim Alwan?
(a) He's not rich enough for her.
(b) He's a married man and a father.
(c) He's not handsome enough for her.
(d) He's too old for her.
4. Why were Zaita's parents happy when he was born?
(a) His beauty delighted them.
(b) His laughter delighted them.
(c) They were proud to have a son.
(d) They no longer had to rent a baby to beg with.
5. What does Radwan Hussainy pray for when he learns of Mrs. Kirsha's trouble?
(a) Radwan Hussainy prays that Mrs. Kirsha will forgive her husband.
(b) Radwan Hussainy prays that Kirsha will overcome his weakness.
(c) Radwan Hussainy prays that he will be able to help.
(d) Radwan Hussainy prays that his own soul will be free of wickness.
6. What does Salim Alwan want from Hamida?
(a) He wants her to work in his business.
(b) He wants her to be mistress.
(c) He wants to adopt her.
(d) He wants her to be his second wife.
7. How is Hamida's engagement to Abbas confirmed?
(a) By signing a contract.
(b) By the reading of the Qur'an.
(c) By giving Hamida a diamond ring.
(d) By pledging before witnesses.
8. Why does Uncle Kamil say he can never marry?
(a) He is mourning the death of his first wife.
(b) His enormous belly is a fortress.
(c) He just hasn't met the right girl.
(d) He is not attracted to women.
9. What does Kirsha blame himself for his wife's behavior?
(a) Kirsha should have left his wife.
(b) Kirsha should have been kinder to his wife.
(c) Kirsha should have beaten his wife.
(d) Kirsha should have educated his wife.
10. What relation is Umm Hamida to Hamida?
(a) She is her foster mother.
(b) She is secrety her mother.
(c) She was a wet nurse to the child.
(d) She is her aunt.
11. Why does Kirsha say the neighbors gossip about him?
(a) They have always hated him.
(b) They want to help him.
(c) They are shocked by his behavior
(d) They are envious.
12. Why does Abbas think Hamida talks of money rather than of love?
(a) Poverty has colored Hamida's thinking.
(b) Modesty conceals Hamida's real interest in him.
(c) Hamida's love for him has overwhelmed her.
(d) Hamida is only interested in money.
13. Why do the residents of the alley think they've been suffering during the war?
(a) Due to random chance.
(b) Due to their own wickedness.
(c) Due to the wickedness of the British.
(d) Due to the malice of the gods.
14. What does Kirsha mean when he says a "galman"?
(a) A neat, clean person.
(b) A gentleman.
(c) A Briton.
(d) A new type of hashish.
15. How does Kirsha defend his lustful conduct?
(a) "All men do many things that are dirty."
(b) "There is no evil in what I do."
(c) "I am trying to save the boy from harm."
(d) "I can't help myself."
Short Answer Questions
1. When does Zaita begin work?
2. Why is Sheik Darwish always welcome?
3. How long will Abbas be in the service of the British army?
4. How does the alley learn of Salim Alwan's lunch and its powers?
5. How does Salim Alwan deal with his family?
This section contains 629 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)