|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many children does Salim Alwan have?
2. What does Abbas say is everything in life?
3. Where does Sheik Darwish live?
(a) He rents a room fro Kirsha.
(b) He lives in the cafe.
(c) He is homeless.
(d) He rents a room from Radwan Hussainy.
4. Why do people in the alley avoid Zaita?
(a) His unfriendly attitude.
(b) His thieving nature.
(c) His offensive odor.
(d) His offensive profession.
5. What does Hamida believe is the key to the entire world?
(a) Reliable friends.
(b) Good looks.
(d) True love.
6. What does Abbas say that falling in love has done for him?
(a) "It's brought me great happiness."
(b) "It's made a new person of me."
(c) "It's made me content with the alley."
(d) "It's ruined my life."
7. Why is Uncle Kamil unafraid of dying?
(a) He is in constant pain.
(b) He wants to be reunited with his wife.
(c) His life is merely a prolonged sleep.
(d) He has led a sinless life.
8. How does Hamida react when she learns that Salim Alwan wants to marry her?
(a) Hamida reminds Umm Hamida that she is already engaged.
(b) Hamida is outraged.
(c) Hamida determines to be loyal to Abbas.
(d) Hamida is pleased.
9. How long has the poet been reciting in Kirsha's cafe?
(a) All evening.
(b) Two years.
(c) Twenty years.
(d) Two weeks.
10. What effect has personal sorrow had on Radwan Hussainy?
(a) It has made him cruel and unforgiving.
(b) It has made him loving and patient.
(c) It has made him sorrowful and despairing.
(d) It has made him pessimistic and fearful.
11. How long will Abbas be in the service of the British army?
(a) Five years.
(b) Less than a year.
(c) A year or two.
(d) At least six months.
12. Why were Zaita's parents happy when he was born?
(a) They were proud to have a son.
(b) His beauty delighted them.
(c) They no longer had to rent a baby to beg with.
(d) His laughter delighted them.
13. How is Hamida's engagement to Abbas confirmed?
(a) By pledging before witnesses.
(b) By signing a contract.
(c) By giving Hamida a diamond ring.
(d) By the reading of the Qur'an.
14. Why is Umma Hamida pleased with Salim Alwan's offer?
(a) The marriage will be a financial benefit to her.
(b) The marriage will make Hamida happy.
(c) The marriage will get Hamida out of her house.
(d) The marriage will be a professional success for her.
15. Why does Hamida fear marriage?
(a) Hamidais afraid she won't have children.
(b) Hamida loves children and hates clothes.
(c) Hamida is afraid she cannot be a worthy wife.
(d) Hamida loves clothes and hates children.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the only person in constant motion in the cafe?
2. How does Kirsha reacts when Hussain says he really will leave home?
3. How does Hamida feel about Abbas?
4. How do the residents of the alley believe women should be treated?
5. Was is Radwan Hussainy an unusual landlord?
This section contains 536 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)