|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many children does Salim Alwan have?
2. What does Salim Alwan's lunch do for him?
(a) It is an aphrodisiac.
(b) It makes him cheerful.
(c) It gives him unusual energy for work.
(d) It helps him to nap.
3. Why is Umma Hamida pleased with Salim Alwan's offer?
(a) The marriage will get Hamida out of her house.
(b) The marriage will make Hamida happy.
(c) The marriage will be a professional success for her.
(d) The marriage will be a financial benefit to her.
4. When does Zaita begin work?
(a) At sundown.
(b) At sunup.
(c) At noon.
(d) At midnight.
5. What stops the engagement of Salim Alwan to Hamida?
(a) Salim Alwan changes his mind.
(b) Salim Alwan has a heart attack.
(c) Radwan Hussainy talks Salim Alwan out of the idea.
(d) Mrs. Alwan stops Salim Alwan.
6. What do his jealous friends call Hussain Kirsha?
(a) Hussain Kirsha the Large.
(b) Hussain Kirsha the Garage.
(c) Hussain Kirsha the Fox.
(d) Hussain Kirsha the Ladykiller.
7. What tragedies have befallen Radwan Hussain?
(a) The loss of his fortune and the death of his wife.
(b) The death of his wife and his failed university exams.
(c) Failed university exams and the death of his children.
(d) The death of his children and the loss of his friends.
8. What does Husniya tell Zaita he must do before he can talk to people?
(a) Get new clothes.
(b) Learn good manners.
(c) Ask forgiveness.
(d) Wash himself.
9. How does Hamida react when she learns that Salim Alwan wants to marry her?
(a) Hamida reminds Umm Hamida that she is already engaged.
(b) Hamida is outraged.
(c) Hamida is pleased.
(d) Hamida determines to be loyal to Abbas.
10. How long has the poet been reciting in Kirsha's cafe?
(a) All evening.
(b) Two years.
(c) Twenty years.
(d) Two weeks.
11. How do the residents of the alley believe women should be treated?
(a) Like harlots.
(b) Like goddesses.
(c) Like queens.
(d) Like children.
12. Why does Mrs. Kirsha hesitate to confront Kirsha about his erotic adventures?
(a) She does not want to provide scandal for the gossips.
(b) She is afraid of his anger.
(c) She does not want her son to find out.
(d) She does not want to hurt his feelings.
13. How does Hamida deal with moral issues?
(a) Radwan Hussainy has taught Hamida morality.
(b) Morals are no part of Hamida's nature.
(c) Hamida is instinctively moral.
(d) Umm Hamida has taught Hamida morality.
14. How does Hamida respond to Abbas' words of love?
(a) Abbas' words cause her to fall in love.
(b) Abbas' words of love please her vanity, but not her heart.
(c) Hamida has no interest in Abbas' words.
(d) Abbas' words make her angry.
15. Why do the residents of the alley think they've been suffering during the war?
(a) Due to random chance.
(b) Due to the malice of the gods.
(c) Due to the wickedness of the British.
(d) Due to their own wickedness.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Mrs. Kirsha's personality when she visits Radwan Hussainy?
2. How many children does Mrs. Kirsha have?
3. How does Salim Alwan deal with his family?
4. What does Hamida believe is the key to the entire world?
5. How does Hussain Kirsha feel about his father's erotic adventures?
This section contains 576 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)