|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Salim Alwan deal with his family?
(a) He is critical and demeaning.
(b) He is distant and uninvolved.
(c) He is kind and generous.
(d) He is cruel and demanding.
2. How many children does Salim Alwan have?
3. How does the boy respond to Kirsha's invitation to come to his cafe?
(a) "If you want to eat, you must tire yourself out."
(b) "A good jug pours forth good water."
(c) "May God forgive your evil thoughts!"
(d) "Only a fool refuses generosity!"
4. How many children does Mrs. Kirsha have?
5. When does Zaita begin work?
(a) At sundown.
(b) At midnight.
(c) At noon.
(d) At sunup.
6. What does Hamida believe is everything in life?
7. What does Salim Alwan eat for lunch each day?
(a) Sprouted alfalfa with vegetables.
(b) Rice and meat.
(c) Potatoes and vegetables.
(d) Vegetables, potatoes, and a bowl of green wheat with pigeon meat and nutmeg.
8. Why does Umm Hamida consult Radwan Hussainy about Salim Alwan's offer?
(a) Radwan Hussainy is paid for his advice.
(b) Their family has no other man to consult.
(c) Their family always relies on his advice.
(d) Radwan Hussainy is a relative.
9. How does the alley learn of Salim Alwan's lunch and its powers?
(a) Salim Alwan tells everyone.
(b) Salim Alwan's wife complains to everyone.
(c) Sheikh Darwish tells everyone.
(d) Husniaya tries it on her husband.
10. How does Kirsha defend his lustful conduct?
(a) "All men do many things that are dirty."
(b) "I am trying to save the boy from harm."
(c) "There is no evil in what I do."
(d) "I can't help myself."
11. Why does Abbas say that Uncle Kamil is completely without profit for him?
(a) Uncle Kamil has no hair to cut.
(b) Uncle Kamil doesn't pay his share of the rent.
(c) Uncle Kamil takes more than his half of the food they share.
(d) Uncle Kamil never pays his bills.
12. How do the residents of the alley believe women should be treated?
(a) Like children.
(b) Like queens.
(c) Like harlots.
(d) Like goddesses.
13. Why do the residents of the alley think they've been suffering during the war?
(a) Due to the wickedness of the British.
(b) Due to random chance.
(c) Due to their own wickedness.
(d) Due to the malice of the gods.
14. What relation is Mrs. Kirsha to Hamida?
(a) She was a wet nurse to the child.
(b) She is her aunt.
(c) She is secretly her mother.
(d) She is her foster mother.
15. What does Husniya tell Zaita he must do before he can talk to people?
(a) Learn good manners.
(b) Wash himself.
(c) Get new clothes.
(d) Ask forgiveness.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Sheikh Darwish think Kirsha should love his wife?
2. How much older is Mrs. Afify than her prospective husband?
3. How does Radwan Hussainy advise Mrs. Kirsha to deal with her husband's weakness?
4. What does Zaita say is the most precious deformity a beggar can have?
5. What does Salim Alwan want from Hamida?
This section contains 567 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)