|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Salim Alwan believe that Allah has done to make men's lives easier?
(a) Provided for them to marry one woman.
(b) Made sharp bargaining acceptable.
(c) Provided for them to take more than one wife.
(d) Made hashish legal.
2. How does Hamida deal with moral issues?
(a) Morals are no part of Hamida's nature.
(b) Umm Hamida has taught Hamida morality.
(c) Radwan Hussainy has taught Hamida morality.
(d) Hamida is instinctively moral.
3. How is Radwan Hussainy regarded by pious men like himself?
(a) Radwan Hussainy is a saintly man of god.
(b) Radwan Hussainy is a scholar with great learning.
(c) Radwan Hussainy is their teacher of the Qur'an.
(d) Radwan Hussainy is limited and weak.
4. Why does Hamida accept attention from Abbas?
(a) Hamida is falling in love with Abbas.
(b) Abbas is very handsome.
(c) Abbas is a wealthy barber.
(d) Abbas is the only suitable young man in the alley.
5. How old is the photo Mrs. Afify sends to her suitor?
(a) Two years.
(b) Six years.
(c) Ten years.
(d) It is new.
6. What keeps Hamida from encouraging Salim Alwan?
(a) He's not handsome enough for her.
(b) He's too old for her.
(c) He's not rich enough for her.
(d) He's a married man and a father.
7. How does the boy respond to Kirsha's invitation to come to his cafe?
(a) "A good jug pours forth good water."
(b) "Only a fool refuses generosity!"
(c) "May God forgive your evil thoughts!"
(d) "If you want to eat, you must tire yourself out."
8. How does Zaita help the strong man to become an efficient beggar?
(a) He amputates an arm.
(b) He blinds him.
(c) He disfigures his face.
(d) He teaches him to behave like an imbecile.
9. Why were Zaita's parents happy when he was born?
(a) They no longer had to rent a baby to beg with.
(b) His laughter delighted them.
(c) His beauty delighted them.
(d) They were proud to have a son.
10. How long has the poet been reciting in Kirsha's cafe?
(a) Twenty years.
(b) All evening.
(c) Two years.
(d) Two weeks.
11. Why does Uncle Kamil say he can never marry?
(a) His enormous belly is a fortress.
(b) He is not attracted to women.
(c) He just hasn't met the right girl.
(d) He is mourning the death of his first wife.
12. What does Husniya tell Zaita he must do before he can talk to people?
(a) Ask forgiveness.
(b) Get new clothes.
(c) Learn good manners.
(d) Wash himself.
13. What does Kirsha mean when he says a "galman"?
(a) A new type of hashish.
(b) A neat, clean person.
(c) A gentleman.
(d) A Briton.
14. How many children does Mrs. Kirsha have?
15. How does Zaita react to being compared with Jaada?
(a) He is flattered.
(b) He is insulted.
(c) He is encouraged in his pursuit of Husniya.
(d) He is unsurprised.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Hamida believe is the key to the entire world?
2. How does Salim Alwan deal with his family?
3. Why does Umm Hamida object to Salim Alwan's desire to marry Hamida?
4. What does Radwan Hussainy advise Mrs. Kirsha to do about her husband's behavior?
5. How does Hamida respond to Abbas' words of love?
This section contains 592 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)