|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why do people in the alley avoid Zaita?
(a) His offensive odor.
(b) His offensive profession.
(c) His unfriendly attitude.
(d) His thieving nature.
2. Why was Zaita happy as a child?
(a) His family took him to a summer resort.
(b) The muddy sidewalk was a summer resort for him.
(c) His family had a comfortable home in those days.
(d) He played at a swimming hole.
3. Why does Abbas say that Uncle Kamil is completely without profit for him?
(a) Uncle Kamil doesn't pay his share of the rent.
(b) Uncle Kamil has no hair to cut.
(c) Uncle Kamil never pays his bills.
(d) Uncle Kamil takes more than his half of the food they share.
4. Why were Zaita's parents happy when he was born?
(a) His laughter delighted them.
(b) His beauty delighted them.
(c) They were proud to have a son.
(d) They no longer had to rent a baby to beg with.
5. How is Hamida's engagement to Abbas confirmed?
(a) By pledging before witnesses.
(b) By signing a contract.
(c) By giving Hamida a diamond ring.
(d) By the reading of the Qur'an.
6. Why do the residents of the alley think they've been suffering during the war?
(a) Due to the wickedness of the British.
(b) Due to random chance.
(c) Due to their own wickedness.
(d) Due to the malice of the gods.
7. How does Hamida deal with moral issues?
(a) Radwan Hussainy has taught Hamida morality.
(b) Umm Hamida has taught Hamida morality.
(c) Morals are no part of Hamida's nature.
(d) Hamida is instinctively moral.
8. Why is Kirsha poor?
(a) Kirsha's money goes to support Hussain Kirsha's lifestyle.
(b) Kirsha squanders his money.
(c) Mrs. Kirsha takes all his money.
(d) Kirsha's cafe does not make a profit.
9. Why does Kirsha openly invite the boy to the cafe in front of everyone?
(a) His intentions are innocent.
(b) They will not suspect him of wrongdoing.
(c) He is actually trying to help the boy.
(d) Kirshha's vice is well known to them.
10. How much older is Mrs. Afify than her prospective husband?
(a) Twenty years.
(b) Fifteen years.
(c) Ten years.
(d) Two years.
11. What keeps Hamida from encouraging Salim Alwan?
(a) He's not rich enough for her.
(b) He's a married man and a father.
(c) He's not handsome enough for her.
(d) He's too old for her.
12. Why do patients accept Dr. Booshy's painful cures?
(a) They believe he is the best.
(b) They believe pain is inescapable.
(c) They believe pain is the best healer.
(d) His fees are so low.
13. Why is Uncle Kamil unafraid of dying?
(a) He wants to be reunited with his wife.
(b) He has led a sinless life.
(c) His life is merely a prolonged sleep.
(d) He is in constant pain.
14. What does Abbas say that falling in love has done for him?
(a) "It's ruined my life."
(b) "It's made me content with the alley."
(c) "It's brought me great happiness."
(d) "It's made a new person of me."
15. How does Hamida respond to Abbas' words of love?
(a) Abbas' words of love please her vanity, but not her heart.
(b) Hamida has no interest in Abbas' words.
(c) Abbas' words cause her to fall in love.
(d) Abbas' words make her angry.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Sheikh Darwish think Kirsha should love his wife?
2. What does Husniya tell Zaita he must do before he can talk to people?
3. How does Kirsha defend his lustful conduct?
4. What does Salim Alwan eat for lunch each day?
5. What does Hamida believe is the key to the entire world?
This section contains 641 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)