|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Sheikh Darwish say about Abbas' love of Hamida?
(a) "The meaning of this in English is tragedy."
(b) "The meaning of this in English is joy."
(c) "The meaning of this in English is romance."
(d) "The meaning of this in English is confusion."
2. How does Hamida react when she learns that Salim Alwan wants to marry her?
(a) Hamida is outraged.
(b) Hamida reminds Umm Hamida that she is already engaged.
(c) Hamida determines to be loyal to Abbas.
(d) Hamida is pleased.
3. What does Hamida feel for Abbas as they walk together?
(a) Deep curiosity.
(b) Intense aversion.
(c) Neither attraction nor aversion.
(d) Intense attraction.
4. Why is Kirsha poor?
(a) Mrs. Kirsha takes all his money.
(b) Kirsha's cafe does not make a profit.
(c) Kirsha's money goes to support Hussain Kirsha's lifestyle.
(d) Kirsha squanders his money.
5. How does the boy respond to Kirsha's invitation to come to his cafe?
(a) "If you want to eat, you must tire yourself out."
(b) "May God forgive your evil thoughts!"
(c) "A good jug pours forth good water."
(d) "Only a fool refuses generosity!"
6. How does Hussain Kirsha convince Abbas to go to work for the British?
(a) Hussain Kirsha tells Abbas he will never win Hamida unless he does.
(b) Hussain Kirsha tells Abbas that no one in the alley cares for him.
(c) Hussain Kirsha tells Abbas his life is boring.
(d) Hussain Kirsha tells Abbas that the British are the Egyptians' true friends.
7. Where does Sheik Darwish live?
(a) He rents a room fro Kirsha.
(b) He is homeless.
(c) He rents a room from Radwan Hussainy.
(d) He lives in the cafe.
8. Why is Uncle Kamil unafraid of dying?
(a) His life is merely a prolonged sleep.
(b) He is in constant pain.
(c) He has led a sinless life.
(d) He wants to be reunited with his wife.
9. Why is Sheik Darwish always welcome?
(a) He is garrulous and entertaining.
(b) He is lively and intelligent.
(c) He is wealthy and generous.
(d) His presence is a good sign.
10. Why does Abbas say that Uncle Kamil is completely without profit for him?
(a) Uncle Kamil takes more than his half of the food they share.
(b) Uncle Kamil never pays his bills.
(c) Uncle Kamil doesn't pay his share of the rent.
(d) Uncle Kamil has no hair to cut.
11. Why does Salim Alwan avoid a political career?
(a) He does not like politics.
(b) He makes more money in commerce.
(c) He does not understand politics.
(d) He has never been invited to participate in politics.
12. What does Kirsha blame himself for his wife's behavior?
(a) Kirsha should have been kinder to his wife.
(b) Kirsha should have beaten his wife.
(c) Kirsha should have left his wife.
(d) Kirsha should have educated his wife.
13. Who is the only person in constant motion in the cafe?
(c) Mrs. Kirsha.
14. Why do people in the alley avoid Zaita?
(a) His offensive odor.
(b) His thieving nature.
(c) His unfriendly attitude.
(d) His offensive profession.
15. How does Hussain Kirsha feel about his father's erotic adventures?
(a) He does not want to be the object of gossip and jokes.
(b) He is deeply ashamed.
(c) He thinks it is amusing.
(d) He is scandalized.
Short Answer Questions
1. What relation is Umm Hamida to Hamida?
2. How does Sanker disrespect the old poet?
3. Why does Hamida envy Jewish girls?
4. How does Kirsha defend his lustful conduct?
5. How do the residents of the alley believe women should be treated?
This section contains 632 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)