|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Radwan Hussainy invite Kirsha into his home?
(a) "The home of the righteous is sealed against evil."
(b) "God blesses those who serve the poor."
(c) "The man who reforms a profligate is better than the man who sits with a believer."
(d) "A good jug gives forth good water."
2. What are the professions of Salim Alwan's sons?
(a) They do not work.
(b) They are all merchants.
(c) A teacher, a musician, and a barber.
(d) A judge, an attorney, and a doctor.
3. When does Zaita begin work?
(a) At sunup.
(b) At sundown.
(c) At noon.
(d) At midnight.
4. Why is Umma Hamida pleased with Salim Alwan's offer?
(a) The marriage will be a professional success for her.
(b) The marriage will be a financial benefit to her.
(c) The marriage will get Hamida out of her house.
(d) The marriage will make Hamida happy.
5. How does Zaita help the strong man to become an efficient beggar?
(a) He blinds him.
(b) He disfigures his face.
(c) He teaches him to behave like an imbecile.
(d) He amputates an arm.
6. What does Hamida believe is everything in life?
7. What do Hussain Kirsha's modern friends have that he envies?
(d) Steady employment.
8. Why do the residents of the alley think they've been suffering during the war?
(a) Due to the wickedness of the British.
(b) Due to their own wickedness.
(c) Due to the malice of the gods.
(d) Due to random chance.
9. How does Zaita know the intimate details of the bakers' lives?
(a) Husniya tells him everything.
(b) He spies through a hole in the wall.
(c) He can hear their arguing through the wall.
(d) Jaada confides in him.
10. What does Hamida believe is the key to the entire world?
(a) True love.
(c) Good looks.
(d) Reliable friends.
11. How is Hamida's engagement to Abbas confirmed?
(a) By pledging before witnesses.
(b) By signing a contract.
(c) By the reading of the Qur'an.
(d) By giving Hamida a diamond ring.
12. How does Hamida react when she learns that Salim Alwan wants to marry her?
(a) Hamida is pleased.
(b) Hamida reminds Umm Hamida that she is already engaged.
(c) Hamida is outraged.
(d) Hamida determines to be loyal to Abbas.
13. Why is Kirsha poor?
(a) Kirsha's cafe does not make a profit.
(b) Kirsha squanders his money.
(c) Mrs. Kirsha takes all his money.
(d) Kirsha's money goes to support Hussain Kirsha's lifestyle.
14. What keeps Hamida from encouraging Salim Alwan?
(a) He's not handsome enough for her.
(b) He's not rich enough for her.
(c) He's too old for her.
(d) He's a married man and a father.
15. How much older is Mrs. Afify than her prospective husband?
(a) Twenty years.
(b) Fifteen years.
(c) Ten years.
(d) Two years.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Hussain Kirsha convince Abbas to go to work for the British?
2. What relation is Mrs. Kirsha to Hamida?
3. What does Radwan Hussainy advise Mrs. Kirsha to do about her husband's behavior?
4. How many children does Mrs. Kirsha have?
5. What does Kirsha believe is replacing public recitations?
This section contains 566 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)