|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Mrs. Kirsha's personality when she visits Radwan Hussainy?
(a) Mrs. Kirsha is fearless and shameless.
(b) Mrs. Kirsha is shy and diffident.
(c) Mrs. Kirsha is fearful and ashamed.
(d) Mrs. Kirsha is hesitant and unsure of herself.
2. What does Salim Alwan's lunch do for him?
(a) It is an aphrodisiac.
(b) It makes him cheerful.
(c) It gives him unusual energy for work.
(d) It helps him to nap.
3. How does Hamida deal with moral issues?
(a) Radwan Hussainy has taught Hamida morality.
(b) Morals are no part of Hamida's nature.
(c) Hamida is instinctively moral.
(d) Umm Hamida has taught Hamida morality.
4. What does Abbas say that falling in love has done for him?
(a) "It's ruined my life."
(b) "It's made a new person of me."
(c) "It's made me content with the alley."
(d) "It's brought me great happiness."
5. What does Hamida believe is everything in life?
6. How is Radwan Hussainy regarded by pious men like himself?
(a) Radwan Hussainy is a saintly man of god.
(b) Radwan Hussainy is limited and weak.
(c) Radwan Hussainy is a scholar with great learning.
(d) Radwan Hussainy is their teacher of the Qur'an.
7. How do the residents of the alley believe women should be treated?
(a) Like queens.
(b) Like goddesses.
(c) Like harlots.
(d) Like children.
8. What stops the engagement of Salim Alwan to Hamida?
(a) Radwan Hussainy talks Salim Alwan out of the idea.
(b) Salim Alwan changes his mind.
(c) Mrs. Alwan stops Salim Alwan.
(d) Salim Alwan has a heart attack.
9. How does Zaita treat his clients?
(a) He is as kind and patient as possible.
(b) He is as friendly and encouraging as possible.
(c) He is as fast and efficient as possible.
(d) He is as cruel and vicious as possible.
10. What bad habits does Kirsha have?
(a) Tobacco and lying.
(b) Hashish and relations with boys.
(c) Coffee and tobacco.
(d) Alcohol and hashish.
11. What does Salim Alwan believe that Allah has done to make men's lives easier?
(a) Made sharp bargaining acceptable.
(b) Provided for them to take more than one wife.
(c) Provided for them to marry one woman.
(d) Made hashish legal.
12. Why does Radwan Hussainy invite Kirsha into his home?
(a) "God blesses those who serve the poor."
(b) "The home of the righteous is sealed against evil."
(c) "A good jug gives forth good water."
(d) "The man who reforms a profligate is better than the man who sits with a believer."
13. How does Hamida feel about Abbas?
(a) Hamida is secretly delighted with his attention.
(b) Hamida neither likes nor dislikes Abbas.
(c) Hamida secretly loves Abbas.
(d) Hamida secretly hates Abbas.
14. How much older is Mrs. Afify than her prospective husband?
(a) Twenty years.
(b) Two years.
(c) Fifteen years.
(d) Ten years.
15. How does Hamida respond to Abbas' words of love?
(a) Hamida has no interest in Abbas' words.
(b) Abbas' words cause her to fall in love.
(c) Abbas' words of love please her vanity, but not her heart.
(d) Abbas' words make her angry.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Zaita never refer to himself as "doctor?"
2. What does Husniya tell Zaita he must do before he can talk to people?
3. What does Hamida believe is the key to the entire world?
4. How many children does Mrs. Kirsha have?
5. What does Hamida feel for Abbas as they walk together?
This section contains 572 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)