|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Zaita never refer to himself as "doctor?"
(a) Because he has no respect for doctors.
(b) Out of respect for Dr. Booshy.
(c) Because people would laugh at him.
(d) Out of fear of calling attention to himself.
2. How long will Abbas be in the service of the British army?
(a) Less than a year.
(b) Five years.
(c) At least six months.
(d) A year or two.
3. How does Hamida respond to Abbas' words of love?
(a) Abbas' words of love please her vanity, but not her heart.
(b) Hamida has no interest in Abbas' words.
(c) Abbas' words make her angry.
(d) Abbas' words cause her to fall in love.
4. How does Radwan Hussainy advise Mrs. Kirsha to deal with her husband's weakness?
(a) Radwan Hussainy advises Mrs. Kirsha to teach her husband.
(b) Radway Hussainy advises Mrs. Kirsha to keep her husband's weakness secret.
(c) Radwan Hussainy advises Mrs. Kirsha to pray.
(d) Radwan Hussainy advises Mrs. Kirsha to seek divorce.
5. Why is Umma Hamida pleased with Salim Alwan's offer?
(a) The marriage will make Hamida happy.
(b) The marriage will be a financial benefit to her.
(c) The marriage will be a professional success for her.
(d) The marriage will get Hamida out of her house.
6. How does Hussain Kirsha feel about his father's erotic adventures?
(a) He is deeply ashamed.
(b) He does not want to be the object of gossip and jokes.
(c) He thinks it is amusing.
(d) He is scandalized.
7. How is Radwan Hussainy regarded by pious men like himself?
(a) Radwan Hussainy is their teacher of the Qur'an.
(b) Radwan Hussainy is limited and weak.
(c) Radwan Hussainy is a saintly man of god.
(d) Radwan Hussainy is a scholar with great learning.
8. Where does Sheik Darwish live?
(a) He rents a room from Radwan Hussainy.
(b) He rents a room fro Kirsha.
(c) He lives in the cafe.
(d) He is homeless.
9. How does Kirsha defend his lustful conduct?
(a) "There is no evil in what I do."
(b) "I am trying to save the boy from harm."
(c) "All men do many things that are dirty."
(d) "I can't help myself."
10. How does Hamida feel about Abbas?
(a) Hamida neither likes nor dislikes Abbas.
(b) Hamida is secretly delighted with his attention.
(c) Hamida secretly hates Abbas.
(d) Hamida secretly loves Abbas.
11. How has Dr. Booshy earned his title?
(a) His patients call him "doctor."
(b) He was apprenticed to a dentist.
(c) He studied at the university in Cairo.
(d) He studied dentistry abroad.
12. What bad habits does Kirsha have?
(a) Tobacco and lying.
(b) Coffee and tobacco.
(c) Hashish and relations with boys.
(d) Alcohol and hashish.
13. How does Hamida react when she learns that Salim Alwan wants to marry her?
(a) Hamida reminds Umm Hamida that she is already engaged.
(b) Hamida determines to be loyal to Abbas.
(c) Hamida is outraged.
(d) Hamida is pleased.
14. How does Zaita react to being compared with Jaada?
(a) He is encouraged in his pursuit of Husniya.
(b) He is unsurprised.
(c) He is flattered.
(d) He is insulted.
15. Why do patients accept Dr. Booshy's painful cures?
(a) They believe pain is inescapable.
(b) They believe he is the best.
(c) His fees are so low.
(d) They believe pain is the best healer.
Short Answer Questions
1. How much older is Mrs. Afify than her prospective husband?
2. Why does Hamida accept attention from Abbas?
3. Why does Abbas think Hamida talks of money rather than of love?
4. How does the alley learn of Salim Alwan's lunch and its powers?
5. What stops the engagement of Salim Alwan to Hamida?
This section contains 651 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)