|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What part of a heating system does Schelling use as a metaphor for human behavior?
(a) A thermostat.
(b) A boiler.
(c) A heating fan.
(d) A pipe.
2. What does Schelling say is the term for a situation where two people hurt themselves and each other by making self-interested decisions?
(a) The tipping-point/critical-mass model.
(b) The lemon model.
(c) The Spanish prisoner.
(d) Prisoner's dilemma.
3. What does Schelling say is essential to economic analysis?
(a) Accounting statements.
(b) Income and economic growth.
(c) Profit and loss.
4. What does Schelling say race discrimination is caused by?
(a) Past injustices.
(b) False perceptions.
(c) Historical enmity.
(d) Economic inequality.
5. What does the critical mass provide for the individual?
(a) A plausible excuse.
(c) Confidence that he is right.
(d) Safety in numbers.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Schelling ultimately say about a decision such as where to sit in a theater?
2. What does Schelling say social scientists will replace the aspects of a system with in order to understand the system?
3. Under what condition, does Schelling say, would a black person feel more comfortable reading ads in a church bulletin?
4. What do the laws visible in the human behavior Schelling describes lead you to expect in other cyclic processes?
5. What does Schelling say people feel in a "bounded-neighborhood" model?
Short Essay Questions
1. How many possible genetic variations can result when two people have a baby together?
2. What is a self-fulfilling prophecy?
3. What is a semi-closed system?
4. What is one consequence Schelling describes of parents being able to choose the sex of their children?
5. What kinds of subliminal factors does Schelling say affect people's decisions of where to sit?
6. How does Schelling define equilibrium?
7. What example does Schelling use to illustrate an externality?
8. What does Schelling say a closed model can be used for with regard to prospective college students?
9. What limitations does Schelling describe that restrict the effect of economic analysis of social behaviors?
10. In what way does a thermostat mirror the behaviors of many systems, in Schelling's analysis?
This section contains 938 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)