|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Phoebe's family do while driving to Mick's memorial service?
2. Why does Phoebe become angry with her friends at lunch in "Dogs Can Laugh in Heaven"?
3. How does Phoebe describe herself when she returns to school after Mick's death?
4. What takes up the most time at Mick's memorial service?
5. What does Phoebe compare her mother to in "Tap Dancing on God's Piano"?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Phoebe changes her mind about taking part in the bike safety assembly, what does she compare it to?
2. Why does Phoebe enjoy hearing people laugh at Mick's memorial service?
3. Why does Zoe call someone a moron in "Dogs Can Laugh in Heaven"?
4. How does Phoebe feel about returning to school after Mick's death?
5. What happens to Phoebe and her friends when she first returns to school after Mick's death?
6. How does Phoebe feel before attending Mick's memorial service?
7. How does Nana help Phoebe's family begin eating in the kitchen again?
8. How does Phoebe react when she is first asked to take part in the bike safety assembly?
9. What does Zoe tell Phoebe in "Tap Dancing on God's Piano" that makes Phoebe feel better about Mick after his death?
10. What does Phoebe's father say about the dangerous intersection in "Common Sense and Good Judgment"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze the theme of grief and the grieving process in "Mick Harte Was Here". Consider the ways the characters grieve and compare and contrast their methods and process. What does this novel reveal about grief?
Essay Topic 2
How is this novel a commentary on family? Consider Phoebe's family as well as Zoe's family. Also, how do non-related families (school, community, friends) work within this commentary?
Essay Topic 3
Examine Phoebe's feelings about religion and God. What key questions does she ask? How are these questions answered? How does religion fit in with the rest of this novel?
This section contains 824 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)