|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to Phoebe when she hears someone call her brother "the dead kid" at school?
2. Who else will be part of the assembly Phoebe is asked to join in "Common Sense and Good Judgment"?
3. What does Phoebe compare her father to in "Tap Dancing on God's Piano"?
4. What type of luck does Phoebe say she pressed in "Common Sense and Good Judgment"?
5. In "Dogs Can Laugh at Heaven", what does Phoebe remember her mother doing to Mick on a family vacation?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Phoebe enjoy hearing people laugh at Mick's memorial service?
2. Why is Phoebe confused about God in "Tap Dancing on God's Piano"?
3. Why does Zoe call someone a moron in "Dogs Can Laugh in Heaven"?
4. What does Phoebe say about the dangerous intersection in "Common Sense and Good Judgment"?
5. What happens to Phoebe and her friends when she first returns to school after Mick's death?
6. What is Mick's interment like?
7. How does Phoebe feel about returning to school after Mick's death?
8. What makes Mick decide to be cremated?
9. How does Phoebe feel before attending Mick's memorial service?
10. Why does Mrs. Berryhill call Phoebe into her office in "Common Sense and Good Judgment"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze the parallels the author draws in "Mick Harte Was Here". How are Wocket and Mick developed in this way? How does the past parallel the present? What is the effect of this technique?
Essay Topic 2
Assess Phoebe as a narrator. What makes her reliable? What makes her unreliable? How does she put a bias on the events in this novel? How does her word choice and tone affect the development of characters and events?
Essay Topic 3
How is this novel a commentary on family? Consider Phoebe's family as well as Zoe's family. Also, how do non-related families (school, community, friends) work within this commentary?
This section contains 736 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)