|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Phoebe's mother go when she goes outside in "Treasures"?
2. After Wocket's death, what does Phoebe remember Mick worrying about?
3. In "The Serengeti Sucks", when does Phoebe's father finally pick her up from Zoe's?
4. What does Phoebe say MFU stood for?
5. According to Phoebe, why was Mick so upset when he saw his christening gown?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Phoebe looks into Mick's room in "Treasures", what things does she see?
2. What happens when Phoebe and her father watch a show about the Serengeti?
3. How does Mick die?
4. In "The Serengeti Sucks", what does Phoebe say she realizes about her family?
5. How does Phoebe describe the role of nature in death in "The Serengeti Sucks"?
6. What is Phoebe's mother's schedule like following Mick's death?
7. How does Phoebe feel when Mick tries to find someone else to ride his bike home for him in "Sirens"?
8. Why do Phoebe and Mick have a written out schedule for their mornings?
9. How does Phoebe describe Mick's relationship with flies?
10. What does Phoebe think is ironic about her neighbor's help after Mick's death?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze the use of flashback in this novel. Why does the author rely so heavily on it? What makes this effective? What makes it ineffective? How does it develop the characters and plot of "Mick Harte Was Here"?
Essay Topic 2
Examine Phoebe's feelings about religion and God. What key questions does she ask? How are these questions answered? How does religion fit in with the rest of this novel?
Essay Topic 3
The end of this novel echoes back to the beginning by having Phoebe carve in the wet cement like she did as a child with Mick. Argue whether or not this closure is effective. Does is resolve all the conflicts of the novel? Does it provide enough closure for Phoebe? Why might the author have opted for this type of ending?
This section contains 785 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)