|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why doesn't Phoebe want to watch the ambulance in "Sirens"?
2. What does Phoebe ask her mother about Mick in "Treasures"?
3. Why doesn't Mick give Phoebe the pirate tattoo?
4. In "Mick", what does Phoebe say the purpose of her narrating this novel is?
5. How does Phoebe describe her feeling of emptiness in "The Serengeti Sucks"?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Phoebe react when Mick rides his bike past her and Zoe on the way to school in "Sirens"?
2. In "The Serengeti Sucks", what does Phoebe say she realizes about her family?
3. In "Treasures", what happens when Zoe calls Phoebe?
4. How does Phoebe describe Mick's relationship with flies?
5. Why is the cigar in Mick's room funny to Phoebe?
6. In "Sirens", what happens at Phoebe's soccer practice?
7. Why does Phoebe hang up on some people when they call after Mick's death?
8. What does Phoebe think is ironic about her neighbor's help after Mick's death?
9. Why does Phoebe wonder if Mick can hear her in "Treasures"?
10. In "Mick", what is the first big "caper" Phoebe describes?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does the author use humor throughout this novel and within Phoebe's narration? What is the effect of this use of humor? How does this technique fit in, or not fit in, with the greater themes at work in "Mick Harte Was Here"?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the purpose of setting and physical place in this novel. Consider how physical location influences the characters. How does it represent the characters? How does it affect their ideals and values?
Essay Topic 3
Define the turning point, or points, in this novel. How do these scenes change the characters, plot and major themes of "Mick Harte Was Here"? Is there one clear turning point or is it a series of smaller events? Why does the author structure the novel in this matter?
This section contains 860 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)