|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Phoebe say she thought of funeral arrangements before her brother's death?
2. What is Phoebe doing when she hears the ambulance sirens?
3. What does Phoebe say caused Mick to lose control of his bike the day he died?
4. Why does Phoebe say she was never close to Wocket?
5. In "Mick", how long does Phoebe say it has been since Mick died?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Phoebe say Mick went through a period of wearing camouflage pants?
2. Why doesn't Phoebe like riding her bike to school?
3. In "The Serengeti Sucks", what does Phoebe say she realizes about her family?
4. Why does Phoebe hang up on some people when they call after Mick's death?
5. How does Phoebe react when Mick rides his bike past her and Zoe on the way to school in "Sirens"?
6. How does Phoebe initially introduce her brother to the reader?
7. How does Phoebe's dad react to the argument in "Mick"?
8. What is Phoebe's mother's schedule like following Mick's death?
9. Why is the cigar in Mick's room funny to Phoebe?
10. When Phoebe looks into Mick's room in "Treasures", what things does she see?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How is "Mick Harte Was Here" an allegorical story? Define this term and assess how this novel fits, or does not fit, within the definition.
Essay Topic 2
Explore the symbolism behind the objects in Mick's collection. Which objects represent Mick? Which represent other people? Which represent ideas and values? What does the collection symbolize overall?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze the theme of guilt in "Mick Harte Was Here". Consider Phoebe's guilt, along with the guilt of other characters. How does guilt motivate? How does guilt drive the plot? How is guilt resolved in the end of this novel? What does the author reveal about guilt?
This section contains 783 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)