|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "Mick", what does Phoebe say is weird about the way Mick talks?
2. Why does Phoebe mention HBO in "Sirens"?
3. How does Phoebe describe the name she called Mick the morning before he died?
4. In "The Serengeti Sucks", what do Phoebe's neighbors do after Mick's death?
5. In "Mick", what does Phoebe say the purpose of her narrating this novel is?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Phoebe goes to Zoe's house in "Sirens", how does she comfort herself?
2. Why does Mick love being considered a "surprise"?
3. What is Phoebe's mother's schedule like following Mick's death?
4. In "Mick", what is the first big "caper" Phoebe describes?
5. How does Phoebe describe Mick's relationship with flies?
6. Why does Phoebe hang up on some people when they call after Mick's death?
7. How does Phoebe describe the role of nature in death in "The Serengeti Sucks"?
8. How does Phoebe compare her grieving process to Mick's grieving after Wocket's death?
9. Why does Phoebe say many girls have crushes on Mick in "Sirens"?
10. In "Mick", what things does Phoebe say she likes most about Mick?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Trace the development of Phoebe's relationship with her mother. Consider their relationship before Mick's death as well. What major events change their relationship? How do they relate to each other at the end of this novel?
Essay Topic 2
Assess Phoebe as a narrator. What makes her reliable? What makes her unreliable? How does she put a bias on the events in this novel? How does her word choice and tone affect the development of characters and events?
Essay Topic 3
How is this novel a commentary on family? Consider Phoebe's family as well as Zoe's family. Also, how do non-related families (school, community, friends) work within this commentary?
This section contains 763 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)