|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "The Serengeti Sucks", when does Phoebe's father finally pick her up from Zoe's?
2. What does Phoebe's father do when Phoebe asks "How's Mick?" in "The Serengeti Sucks"?
3. In "The Serengeti Sucks", why does Phoebe not tell her father to come to the door when guests arrive?
4. What does Phoebe ask her mother about Mick in "Treasures"?
5. Why is Zoe upset when Mick passes her on his bike in "Sirens"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Phoebe visits the location of Mick's accident in "Treasures"?
2. When Phoebe goes to Zoe's house in "Sirens", how does she comfort herself?
3. How does Phoebe react when Mick rides his bike past her and Zoe on the way to school in "Sirens"?
4. Why does Phoebe say many girls have crushes on Mick in "Sirens"?
5. How does Mick die?
6. Why is the cigar in Mick's room funny to Phoebe?
7. When Phoebe looks into Mick's room in "Treasures", what things does she see?
8. Why doesn't Phoebe like riding her bike to school?
9. How does Phoebe compare her grieving process to Mick's grieving after Wocket's death?
10. Why does Phoebe say Mick went through a period of wearing camouflage pants?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How is "Mick Harte Was Here" a commentary on childhood? Consider how this novel defines childhood and what is says about the fragility of this period.
Essay Topic 2
Examine Phoebe's feelings about religion and God. What key questions does she ask? How are these questions answered? How does religion fit in with the rest of this novel?
Essay Topic 3
How is "Mick Harte Was Here" an allegorical story? Define this term and assess how this novel fits, or does not fit, within the definition.
This section contains 771 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)