|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why are Zoe and Mick friends?
2. Who yells at Phoebe's father when he leaves the kitchen angry in "Mick"?
3. What is Phoebe doing when she hears the ambulance sirens?
4. What does Phoebe see that makes her cry in "Treasures"?
5. What color hat does Phoebe say Mick used to put on Wocket?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Mick die?
2. Why does Phoebe wonder if Mick can hear her in "Treasures"?
3. How does Phoebe initially introduce her brother to the reader?
4. When Phoebe looks into Mick's room in "Treasures", what things does she see?
5. In "Mick", what is the first big "caper" Phoebe describes?
6. How does Phoebe feel when Mick tries to find someone else to ride his bike home for him in "Sirens"?
7. Why does Phoebe hang up on some people when they call after Mick's death?
8. What happens when Phoebe visits the location of Mick's accident in "Treasures"?
9. Why does Phoebe say Mick went through a period of wearing camouflage pants?
10. Why is the cigar in Mick's room funny to Phoebe?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the role of adults to the role of teenagers in helping Phoebe recover from Mick's death. How do they help her in similar ways? How do they help her in different ways? Which group seems to be most effective? Why?
Essay Topic 2
How is this novel a commentary on family? Consider Phoebe's family as well as Zoe's family. Also, how do non-related families (school, community, friends) work within this commentary?
Essay Topic 3
How is "Mick Harte Was Here" an allegorical story? Define this term and assess how this novel fits, or does not fit, within the definition.
This section contains 745 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)