|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Byblis tell the family member that she is in love with him?
2. What does Caenis request to be turned into when offered a wish from Neptune?
3. What type of bird is Daedalion transformed into when he jumps off the cliff?
4. What does everything that Midas touches turn into?
5. How does Hecuba exact her revenge upon her son, Polymestor?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Memnon remembered after his death at Hercules' hands?
2. Why does Daedalion throw himself off a cliff?
3. How does Circe exact her revenge on Scylla?
4. Why does Myrrha transform into a tree?
5. How is Achilles killed?
6. How does Cipius convince Rome to exile him to his own land?
7. How is Crotana founded?
8. What does Calchas see when the Greeks are chasing after the Trojans, and how is this sighting interpreted?
9. What story does Vertumnus tell Pomona, luring her into a relationship with him?
10. How does Ceyx respond to the news that wolves are attacking his livestock?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Many of the mortals in the novel are great artists, especially with the skill of weaving. Choose two mortal women who used the practice of weaving to get messages across. Describe the weaving that each woman did, and compare / contrast the messages they were sending to the gods through their art.
Essay Topic 2
Throughout the novel, Ovid makes very clear statements about the sanctity of marriage. Compare / contrast two marriages presented in the novel, and explain how each of these marriages forwards the message that Ovid is giving the reader about the sanctity of marriage during the time of the Olympian gods.
Essay Topic 3
After the flood, there were very specific instructions given to the survivors as to how the world should be repopulated. Explain how the two survivors came to be selected, describe their instructions for re-population, and describe the survivors' reaction to their instructions.
This section contains 868 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)