|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following is NOT an argument that Pythagoras gives against the practice of eating meat?
2. What slows down the Greeks as they trek toward Troy to find Paris?
3. What is Numa's wife transformed into after she disturbs the landmark in the woods?
4. What type of animal begins attacking Ceyx's livestock?
5. What animal makes up half of Pan's body?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Picus find himself transformed into a woodpecker?
2. What does Calchas see when the Greeks are chasing after the Trojans, and how is this sighting interpreted?
3. What story does Vertumnus tell Pomona, luring her into a relationship with him?
4. Why does Myrrha transform into a tree?
5. How does Orpheus die?
6. How does Scylla exact her revenge on Circe?
7. What story does Hippolytus tell Numa's wife when she is mourning over her husband's death?
8. How does Cipius convince Rome to exile him to his own land?
9. How does Orpheus lose his wife, Eurydice?
10. How does Ceyx respond to the news that wolves are attacking his livestock?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Many mortals throughout the novel chose not to bow down to the power of the Olympian gods. Choose one defiant mortal from the novel and explain why he chose to stand up to the gods. Then, explain what happened as a result of the mortal's defiant behavior.
Essay Topic 2
Many of the gods go through metamorphoses from spirit into animal. Choose two gods who were transformed, explain the circumstances surrounding their metamorphoses, and explain why each object of metamorphoses was chosen explicitly for that god's situation.
Essay Topic 3
Snakes and birds are the most commonly referred to animals in the text. Explain what each of these animals symbolizes in the Olympian world, and why they were the animals that humans were most commonly transformed into.
This section contains 867 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)