|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Laomedon promise to pay the gods for their help in building a wall around Troy?
2. What is interesting about Cycnus' skin?
3. Which of the following is the way that Cipius finds himself altered by the gods.
4. What does Caenis request to be turned into when offered a wish from Neptune?
5. How does Circe attempt to lure Picus into the woods?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Alcyone see in her dream brought to her by the nymph Sleep?
2. What question does Tlepolemus ask Nestor during his storytelling, and what is Nestor's response?
3. How does Hyacinth find himself transformed into a flower?
4. How does Cipius convince Rome to exile him to his own land?
5. How does Ceyx respond to the news that wolves are attacking his livestock?
6. How does Pygmalion meet his wife?
7. Why does Ulysses believe that he should be entitled to Achilles' armor after he dies?
8. How does Hecuba exact her revenge on her son, Polydorus?
9. How does Hippomenes outsmart Atalanta?
10. Why does Pythagoras believe that man should abstain from eating meat?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
All of Ovid's relationships in the text seem to end the same way - with one or both of the lovers in extreme pain. Choose two relationships featured in the novel and explain how pain inevitably rose from the couple's love.
Essay Topic 2
Many of the gods act violently toward the mortals they rule over. Choose two examples of violence against the mortals and then explain what effect the violent behaviors of the gods had on the balance between the two worlds.
Essay Topic 3
Storytelling is an important asset to Ovid as he progresses through this novel. Explain how storytelling presents itself in the novel, and then compare / contrast storytelling and plot as they appear as themes in the novel as a whole.
This section contains 893 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)