|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whose oracle does Ceyx seek out for advice after his livestock are attacked?
2. What is interesting about Cycnus' skin?
3. When Paris runs away from Troy, what has he stolen?
4. Which goddess transforms Pygmalions' wife into a real woman?
5. What type of bird is Daedalion transformed into when he jumps off the cliff?
Short Essay Questions
1. What question does Tlepolemus ask Nestor during his storytelling, and what is Nestor's response?
2. Why does Byblis turn into a stream?
3. What does Alcyone see in her dream brought to her by the nymph Sleep?
4. What does Ovid predict about the words of his novel in his epilogue?
5. How does Scylla exact her revenge on Circe?
6. How is Achilles killed?
7. How does Romulus restore the throne of his grandfather?
8. How does Orpheus die?
9. Why does Ulysses believe that he should be entitled to Achilles' armor after he dies?
10. What story does Hippolytus tell Numa's wife when she is mourning over her husband's death?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Storytelling is an important asset to Ovid as he progresses through this novel. Explain how storytelling presents itself in the novel, and then compare / contrast storytelling and plot as they appear as themes in the novel as a whole.
Essay Topic 2
The Olympian gods were often hypocritical in the novel. Choose two examples of rules that the mortals were given that the gods blatantly ignored. Then, explain the effect that the hypocritical nature the gods expressed had on their relationships with the mortals.
Essay Topic 3
Many characters take over as the active narrator in "Metamorphoses". Choose one narrator who functioned as the main storyteller in the novel, and explain how the story was altered by that character's unique voice and perspective.
This section contains 828 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)