|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Scylla hide out after her transformation?
2. When Paris runs away from Troy, what has he stolen?
3. What is Numa's wife transformed into after she disturbs the landmark in the woods?
4. What job does Ganymede take over when he lives with Jupiter?
5. What does the water nymph transform the attacking animals into?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Pythagoras believe that man should abstain from eating meat?
2. How does Hecuba exact her revenge on her son, Polydorus?
3. Why does Myrrha transform into a tree?
4. How does Pygmalion meet his wife?
5. How does Cipius convince Rome to exile him to his own land?
6. What does Ovid predict about the words of his novel in his epilogue?
7. How does Ceyx respond to the news that wolves are attacking his livestock?
8. How does Peleus eventually get Thetis to marry him?
9. How does Orpheus die?
10. Why does Byblis turn into a stream?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
One of the most famous arguments in Ovid's "Metamorphoses" happens between Ulysses and Ajax after Achilles dies in battle, as both men want to inherit Achilles' armor. Explain the argument that each man gave for deserving the armor, and then explain the effect that the final decision had on the plot of the novel.
Essay Topic 2
The Olympian gods were often hypocritical in the novel. Choose two examples of rules that the mortals were given that the gods blatantly ignored. Then, explain the effect that the hypocritical nature the gods expressed had on their relationships with the mortals.
Essay Topic 3
After the flood, there were very specific instructions given to the survivors as to how the world should be repopulated. Explain how the two survivors came to be selected, describe their instructions for re-population, and describe the survivors' reaction to their instructions.
This section contains 860 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)