|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the nymph sent to Alcyone to inform her of Ceyx's death?
2. What ears does Apollo place atop Midas' head?
3. In the epilogue, what does Ovid say about his words?
4. How does Turnus attempt to exact his revenge on Aeneas after they are both promised the same woman in marriage?
5. How does Orpheus attempt to charm his way out of death?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Daedalion throw himself off a cliff?
2. How does Hyacinth find himself transformed into a flower?
3. How does Orpheus lose his wife, Eurydice?
4. Why does Pythagoras believe that man should abstain from eating meat?
5. How does Orpheus die?
6. How does Hippomenes outsmart Atalanta?
7. How does Scylla exact her revenge on Circe?
8. What happens during the battle between Achilles and Cycnus?
9. How is Achilles killed?
10. How does Ceyx respond to the news that wolves are attacking his livestock?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In the beginning of time after creation, the humans go through four distinct ages. Briefly describe the four ages, and explain which among them had the largest impact on humanity, citing examples from the text to strengthen your argument.
Essay Topic 2
After the flood, there were very specific instructions given to the survivors as to how the world should be repopulated. Explain how the two survivors came to be selected, describe their instructions for re-population, and describe the survivors' reaction to their instructions.
Essay Topic 3
Many mortals throughout the novel chose not to bow down to the power of the Olympian gods. Choose one defiant mortal from the novel and explain why he chose to stand up to the gods. Then, explain what happened as a result of the mortal's defiant behavior.
This section contains 826 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)