|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which goddess sends omens to Julius Caesar about his fate?
2. Which of the following objects is NOT thrown at Caenis by the centaurs in an attempt to kill him?
3. What does Circe transform the soldiers scouting her island into?
4. What does Laomedon promise to pay the gods for their help in building a wall around Troy?
5. Which of the following acts is considered treason in Rome?
Short Essay Questions
1. What story does Vertumnus tell Pomona, luring her into a relationship with him?
2. What does Ovid predict about the words of his novel in his epilogue?
3. How does Romulus restore the throne of his grandfather?
4. How does Pygmalion meet his wife?
5. Why does Pythagoras believe that man should abstain from eating meat?
6. Why does Byblis turn into a stream?
7. What question does Tlepolemus ask Nestor during his storytelling, and what is Nestor's response?
8. Why does Daedalion throw himself off a cliff?
9. How does Ceyx respond to the news that wolves are attacking his livestock?
10. How is Memnon remembered after his death at Hercules' hands?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Taking a woman by force is an unfortunately common practice in Ovid's "Metamorphoses". Explain how women are treated by the gods in the novel, and how the practice of taking a woman by force relates to the idea of love.
Essay Topic 2
Pythagoras acts as an important speaker at the end of Ovid's novel. Explain the arguments that Pythagoras gave, and how they acted to summarize the messages that Ovid attempted to make throughout the novel.
Essay Topic 3
Many of the gods go through metamorphoses from spirit into animal. Choose two gods who were transformed, explain the circumstances surrounding their metamorphoses, and explain why each object of metamorphoses was chosen explicitly for that god's situation.
This section contains 843 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)