|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What slows down the Greeks as they trek toward Troy to find Paris?
2. What does Circe transform Scylla's lower body into?
3. What does Caenis request to be turned into when offered a wish from Neptune?
4. Where does Scylla hide out after her transformation?
5. Who inspires Myscelus to start the land of Crotana?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Pythagoras believe that man should abstain from eating meat?
2. How does Pygmalion meet his wife?
3. How does Picus find himself transformed into a woodpecker?
4. What does Alcyone see in her dream brought to her by the nymph Sleep?
5. How does Scylla exact her revenge on Circe?
6. How is Achilles killed?
7. How is Memnon remembered after his death at Hercules' hands?
8. How is Crotana founded?
9. Why does Myrrha transform into a tree?
10. How does Cipius convince Rome to exile him to his own land?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Olympian gods were often hypocritical in the novel. Choose two examples of rules that the mortals were given that the gods blatantly ignored. Then, explain the effect that the hypocritical nature the gods expressed had on their relationships with the mortals.
Essay Topic 2
Many of the mortals in the novel are great artists, especially with the skill of weaving. Choose two mortal women who used the practice of weaving to get messages across. Describe the weaving that each woman did, and compare / contrast the messages they were sending to the gods through their art.
Essay Topic 3
Many of the gods go through metamorphoses from spirit into animal. Choose two gods who were transformed, explain the circumstances surrounding their metamorphoses, and explain why each object of metamorphoses was chosen explicitly for that god's situation.
This section contains 865 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)