Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following is NOT an argument that Ulysses gives when fighting for the armor?
2. How does Glaucus respond to Circe when she offers herself to him?
3. What type of animal begins attacking Ceyx's livestock?
4. What does Caenis request to be turned into when offered a wish from Neptune?
5. What type of bird is Picus transformed into when he rebukes Circe's advances?
Essay Topic 1
Taking a woman by force is an unfortunately common practice in Ovid's "Metamorphoses". Explain how women are treated by the gods in the novel, and how the practice of taking a woman by force relates to the idea of love.
Essay Topic 2
Many characters are married throughout the course of this novel. Choose two marriages that take place and compare / contrast the events that take place at the ceremonies. Then, explain what message Ovid is giving to the reader about marriage through these two examples.
Essay Topic 3
Snakes and birds are the most commonly referred to animals in the text. Explain what each of these animals symbolizes in the Olympian world, and why they were the animals that humans were most commonly transformed into.
This section contains 234 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)