|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whose oracle does Ceyx seek out for advice after his livestock are attacked?
2. Why does Nestor leave Hercules out of his story about the Trojan War?
3. What is Anaxerta transformed into after she rebukes Iphis?
4. What does Caenis request to be turned into when offered a wish from Neptune?
5. Who sings a song for Eurydice that is so moving, even the harsh Fates begin to weep?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Pygmalion meet his wife?
2. How does Cipius convince Rome to exile him to his own land?
3. Why does Ulysses believe that he should be entitled to Achilles' armor after he dies?
4. What happens during the battle between Achilles and Cycnus?
5. What is interesting about Aeneas' three daughters?
6. What question does Tlepolemus ask Nestor during his storytelling, and what is Nestor's response?
7. How does Romulus restore the throne of his grandfather?
8. How does Hecuba exact her revenge on her son, Polydorus?
9. How does Hippomenes outsmart Atalanta?
10. Why does Myrrha transform into a tree?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Taking a woman by force is an unfortunately common practice in Ovid's "Metamorphoses". Explain how women are treated by the gods in the novel, and how the practice of taking a woman by force relates to the idea of love.
Essay Topic 2
Throughout the novel, Ovid makes very clear statements about the sanctity of marriage. Compare / contrast two marriages presented in the novel, and explain how each of these marriages forwards the message that Ovid is giving the reader about the sanctity of marriage during the time of the Olympian gods.
Essay Topic 3
Almost all interactions with the Olympian gods resulted in either punishment or reward for the lesser beings. Choose one example of punishment and one example of reward given by the Olympian gods. How does this dichotomy affect the relationship that lesser beings have with the Olympian gods throughout the text?
This section contains 855 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)