|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When the nymphs come to bury Narcissus' body, what is the only thing that they find by the pool of water?
2. What does Hercules break off of Achelous during their battle?
3. Who bursts into Perseus and Andromeda's wedding, causing a disturbance?
4. What object do Deucalian and Pyrrah throw to the earth, creating humans?
5. After Minerva begins to beat her, how does Arachne commit suicide?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Minerva respond to Arachne's portrait of the gods?
2. According to Ovid, how is the earth created?
3. Who do Cupid's first two arrows shoot, and what is the outcome?
4. Why do Pyramus and Thisbe kill themselves?
5. Why is the beautiful princess transformed into a Crow?
6. What condition does Jupiter come up with for the return of Proserpina from the underworld?
7. How does Perseus come to marry Andromeda?
8. In what ways do the brave villagers in Crete attempt to kill the wild boar that has been terrorizing the village?
9. How is Pentheus killed?
10. How does Europa come to be missing?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Throughout the novel, there are many symbols of peace that appear in the violent world of the gods. Describe two symbols of peace that appear in the novel, and explain how the symbols came to be.
Essay Topic 2
Many characters take over as the active narrator in "Metamorphoses". Choose one narrator who functioned as the main storyteller in the novel, and explain how the story was altered by that character's unique voice and perspective.
Essay Topic 3
Many of the gods act violently toward the mortals they rule over. Choose two examples of violence against the mortals and then explain what effect the violent behaviors of the gods had on the balance between the two worlds.
This section contains 856 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)