|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many days does Hercules' mother claim to have been in labor when her son was born?
2. In Ovid's version of the creation of the earth, what are the first two forces to be separated?
3. What does Medea agree to do in exchange for marrying Jason?
4. Who is Venus having an affair with when her husband, Vulcan, discovers them?
5. In what "age of time" are all the creatures of the earth living harmoniously with one another?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is a Minotaur, and what is Minos' reaction to it?
2. What significant events happen surrounding the birth of Hercules?
3. How is Hercules killed?
4. Who is Erysichthon and how is he punished for his actions against the nymph?
5. What prophecy does Meleager's mother remember in regards to her son's life and death?
6. How are the five families of Thebe formed?
7. Who do Cupid's first two arrows shoot, and what is the outcome?
8. What does Minos continually have a recurring dream about?
9. What happens when Andromeda's fiance breaks up her wedding to Perseus?
10. What is the response to the three sisters who sit around gossiping and telling impious stories?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
After the flood, there were very specific instructions given to the survivors as to how the world should be repopulated. Explain how the two survivors came to be selected, describe their instructions for re-population, and describe the survivors' reaction to their instructions.
Essay Topic 2
The Olympian gods were often hypocritical in the novel. Choose two examples of rules that the mortals were given that the gods blatantly ignored. Then, explain the effect that the hypocritical nature the gods expressed had on their relationships with the mortals.
Essay Topic 3
The forces of nature are very strong throughout the novel. Many characters find themselves transformed into earthly elements such as water, trees, and flowers. Choose two examples of characters that were transformed into earthly elements and explain the circumstances of their transformations, and what their transformations symbolized.
This section contains 901 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)