Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. During the competition, what does Minerva's portrait exemplify?
2. Why does Jason arrive at King Aetes' court?
3. How does Pyramus kill himself?
4. Where do Cadmus and his wife live out the rest of their days after their transformation?
5. What is the name of the king who rules over Alcathous?
Short Essay Questions
1. What question does Tlepolemus ask Nestor during his storytelling, and what is Nestor's response?
2. How is Pentheus killed?
3. How does Cipius convince Rome to exile him to his own land?
4. How does Romulus restore the throne of his grandfather?
5. What does Alcyone see in her dream brought to her by the nymph Sleep?
6. What is the response to the three sisters who sit around gossiping and telling impious stories?
7. What condition does Jupiter come up with for the return of Proserpina from the underworld?
8. What is Narcissus' reaction to Echo's advances, and how does she respond?
9. According to Ovid, how is the earth created?
10. How does Midas find himself with the ears of a donkey?
Taking a woman by force is an unfortunately common practice in Ovid's "Metamorphoses". Explain how women are treated by the gods in the novel, and how the practice of taking a woman by force relates to the idea of love.
Many of the gods go through metamorphoses from spirit into animal. Choose two gods who were transformed, explain the circumstances surrounding their metamorphoses, and explain why each object of metamorphoses was chosen explicitly for that god's situation.
The Olympian gods were often hypocritical in the novel. Choose two examples of rules that the mortals were given that the gods blatantly ignored. Then, explain the effect that the hypocritical nature the gods expressed had on their relationships with the mortals.
This section contains 867 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)