|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What skill do both Arachne and Minerva hold?
2. What object do Deucalian and Pyrrah throw to the earth, creating humans?
3. How does Juno punish the servants living in Athamas and Ino's house?
4. As punishment for harming a nymph, what is Dyrope slowly transformed into?
5. Over what does Achelous find himself in a fight with Hercules?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Europa come to be missing?
2. What happens when Jupiter goes to visit Lycaon?
3. What happens when Andromeda's fiance breaks up her wedding to Perseus?
4. Who do Cupid's first two arrows shoot, and what is the outcome?
5. How does Perseus come to marry Andromeda?
6. How does Procne respond when she receives news of the way that Tereus is treating her sister, Philomena?
7. Why does Tereus believe that his relationship with Procne is doomed from the start?
8. How are the five families of Thebe formed?
9. What is Narcissus' reaction to Echo's advances, and how does she respond?
10. How does Io come to be pregnant with Erasmus?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Many characters are married throughout the course of this novel. Choose two marriages that take place and compare / contrast the events that take place at the ceremonies. Then, explain what message Ovid is giving to the reader about marriage through these two examples.
Essay Topic 2
Storytelling is an important asset to Ovid as he progresses through this novel. Explain how storytelling presents itself in the novel, and then compare / contrast storytelling and plot as they appear as themes in the novel as a whole.
Essay Topic 3
Pythagoras acts as an important speaker at the end of Ovid's novel. Explain the arguments that Pythagoras gave, and how they acted to summarize the messages that Ovid attempted to make throughout the novel.
This section contains 849 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)