|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What type of beast does Apollo give Cononis' baby to?
2. With what weapon is Perseus threatened at his wedding?
3. At the opening of the novel, who or what does Ovid evoke to inspire his writing?
4. What does Phaeton request from his father to prove the validity of their relationship?
5. What type of insect reoccurs in Minos' dreams of the tree?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Minerva respond to Arachne's portrait of the gods?
2. What happens when Jupiter goes to visit Lycaon?
3. What happens after Juno enlists Tisiphone to help her extract her revenge on Athamas and Ino?
4. What condition does Jupiter come up with for the return of Proserpina from the underworld?
5. How does Europa come to be missing?
6. How is Hercules killed?
7. Why does Tereus believe that his relationship with Procne is doomed from the start?
8. What happens when Cephalus calls for a breeze to cool him in the woods?
9. According to Ovid, how is the earth created?
10. How does the competition between Minerva and Arachne progress?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Throughout the novel, there are many symbols of peace that appear in the violent world of the gods. Describe two symbols of peace that appear in the novel, and explain how the symbols came to be.
Essay Topic 2
Pythagoras acts as an important speaker at the end of Ovid's novel. Explain the arguments that Pythagoras gave, and how they acted to summarize the messages that Ovid attempted to make throughout the novel.
Essay Topic 3
The Olympian gods were often hypocritical in the novel. Choose two examples of rules that the mortals were given that the gods blatantly ignored. Then, explain the effect that the hypocritical nature the gods expressed had on their relationships with the mortals.
This section contains 841 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)