|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Meleager's mother is faced with the prospect of choosing sides between her son and brothers, who does she decide to kill?
2. In Ovid's version of the creation of the earth, what are the first two forces to be separated?
3. Who does Cupid's first arrow hit?
4. What type of bird does Scylla's father transform into after his death?
5. What does Medea agree to do in exchange for marrying Jason?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Cephalus calls for a breeze to cool him in the woods?
2. What happens when Medea attempts to help Pelias' daughter return their father to an age of youthfulness?
3. What does Minos continually have a recurring dream about?
4. What happens when Andromeda's fiance breaks up her wedding to Perseus?
5. How does Perseus come to marry Andromeda?
6. What happens when Jupiter goes to visit Lycaon?
7. How does the competition between Minerva and Arachne progress?
8. Why is the beautiful princess transformed into a Crow?
9. How does Io come to be pregnant with Erasmus?
10. How is Pentheus killed?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Pythagoras acts as an important speaker at the end of Ovid's novel. Explain the arguments that Pythagoras gave, and how they acted to summarize the messages that Ovid attempted to make throughout the novel.
Essay Topic 2
Storytelling is an important asset to Ovid as he progresses through this novel. Explain how storytelling presents itself in the novel, and then compare / contrast storytelling and plot as they appear as themes in the novel as a whole.
Essay Topic 3
Throughout the novel, there are many symbols of peace that appear in the violent world of the gods. Describe two symbols of peace that appear in the novel, and explain how the symbols came to be.
This section contains 874 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)