|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When the nymphs come to bury Narcissus' body, what is the only thing that they find by the pool of water?
2. On what continent does Miletus give birth to twins?
3. What type of insect reoccurs in Minos' dreams of the tree?
4. When Apollo goes missing, what does Mercury steal from him?
5. Who is Phaeton's father?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who do Cupid's first two arrows shoot, and what is the outcome?
2. How does the competition between Minerva and Arachne progress?
3. What is the result of Phaeton's visit to the Sun?
4. Why is the beautiful princess transformed into a Crow?
5. What does Minos continually have a recurring dream about?
6. How is Hercules killed?
7. What happens when Jupiter goes to visit Lycaon?
8. Why do Pyramus and Thisbe kill themselves?
9. What condition does Jupiter come up with for the return of Proserpina from the underworld?
10. What happens when Andromeda's fiance breaks up her wedding to Perseus?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Many characters take over as the active narrator in "Metamorphoses". Choose one narrator who functioned as the main storyteller in the novel, and explain how the story was altered by that character's unique voice and perspective.
Essay Topic 2
Many mortals throughout the novel chose not to bow down to the power of the Olympian gods. Choose one defiant mortal from the novel and explain why he chose to stand up to the gods. Then, explain what happened as a result of the mortal's defiant behavior.
Essay Topic 3
The Olympian gods were often hypocritical in the novel. Choose two examples of rules that the mortals were given that the gods blatantly ignored. Then, explain the effect that the hypocritical nature the gods expressed had on their relationships with the mortals.
This section contains 842 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)