|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Clytie respond to the Sun's affair with Leucothoe?
2. What type of bird does Scylla's father transform into after his death?
3. What type of bird are Pierus' daughters transformed into?
4. How are the sons of Callirhoe altered after Hercules' death?
5. After Minerva begins to beat her, how does Arachne commit suicide?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Io come to be pregnant with Erasmus?
2. What is the result of Phaeton's visit to the Sun?
3. What happens when Jupiter goes to visit Lycaon?
4. Who are Philemon and Baucis?
5. How does the competition between Minerva and Arachne progress?
6. How does Procne respond when she receives news of the way that Tereus is treating her sister, Philomena?
7. What happens when Andromeda's fiance breaks up her wedding to Perseus?
8. What is Narcissus' reaction to Echo's advances, and how does she respond?
9. How is Pentheus killed?
10. How does Perseus come to marry Andromeda?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Many characters are married throughout the course of this novel. Choose two marriages that take place and compare / contrast the events that take place at the ceremonies. Then, explain what message Ovid is giving to the reader about marriage through these two examples.
Essay Topic 2
In the beginning of time after creation, the humans go through four distinct ages. Briefly describe the four ages, and explain which among them had the largest impact on humanity, citing examples from the text to strengthen your argument.
Essay Topic 3
Storytelling is an important asset to Ovid as he progresses through this novel. Explain how storytelling presents itself in the novel, and then compare / contrast storytelling and plot as they appear as themes in the novel as a whole.
This section contains 852 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)