|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following adjectives best describes the life of Philemon and Baucis?
2. In what "age of time" are all the creatures of the earth living harmoniously with one another?
3. With what type of material are Icarus' wings fashioned?
4. How does Clytie respond to the Sun's affair with Leucothoe?
5. What type of plant does Dyrope pick to give to Hercules when he is born?
Short Essay Questions
1. What prophecy does Meleager's mother remember in regards to her son's life and death?
2. Why is the beautiful princess transformed into a Crow?
3. How is Hercules killed?
4. Why does Tereus believe that his relationship with Procne is doomed from the start?
5. Who are Philemon and Baucis?
6. What condition does Jupiter come up with for the return of Proserpina from the underworld?
7. How are the five families of Thebe formed?
8. What is a Minotaur, and what is Minos' reaction to it?
9. How does Europa come to be missing?
10. How does the competition between Minerva and Arachne progress?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Many of the mortals in the novel are great artists, especially with the skill of weaving. Choose two mortal women who used the practice of weaving to get messages across. Describe the weaving that each woman did, and compare / contrast the messages they were sending to the gods through their art.
Essay Topic 2
The Olympian gods were often hypocritical in the novel. Choose two examples of rules that the mortals were given that the gods blatantly ignored. Then, explain the effect that the hypocritical nature the gods expressed had on their relationships with the mortals.
Essay Topic 3
Pythagoras acts as an important speaker at the end of Ovid's novel. Explain the arguments that Pythagoras gave, and how they acted to summarize the messages that Ovid attempted to make throughout the novel.
This section contains 865 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)