|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Medea instruct Pelias' daughters to do to their father?
2. What type of bird are Pierus' daughters transformed into?
3. How many children does Niobe lose after she refuses to comply with the gods?
4. What type of animal does Meleager kill, giving all of the credit to Atalanta?
5. During the competition, what does Arachne's portrait exemplify?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Europa come to be missing?
2. What is the result of Phaeton's visit to the Sun?
3. How does Minerva respond to Arachne's portrait of the gods?
4. Who is Erysichthon and how is he punished for his actions against the nymph?
5. How are the five families of Thebe formed?
6. How is Pentheus killed?
7. Who are Philemon and Baucis?
8. What happens when Medea attempts to help Pelias' daughter return their father to an age of youthfulness?
9. What happens when Andromeda's fiance breaks up her wedding to Perseus?
10. How is Hercules killed?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Many of the gods go through metamorphoses from spirit into animal. Choose two gods who were transformed, explain the circumstances surrounding their metamorphoses, and explain why each object of metamorphoses was chosen explicitly for that god's situation.
Essay Topic 2
All of Ovid's relationships in the text seem to end the same way - with one or both of the lovers in extreme pain. Choose two relationships featured in the novel and explain how pain inevitably rose from the couple's love.
Essay Topic 3
Many characters take over as the active narrator in "Metamorphoses". Choose one narrator who functioned as the main storyteller in the novel, and explain how the story was altered by that character's unique voice and perspective.
This section contains 841 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)