|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Medea instruct Pelias' daughters to do to their father?
2. What object do Deucalian and Pyrrah throw to the earth, creating humans?
3. What animal does Pyramus think attacked and killed Thisbe?
4. Where do Cadmus and his wife live out the rest of their days after their transformation?
5. What do the tears of the sea nymph who sees Dis steal Proserpina transform into?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do Pyramus and Thisbe kill themselves?
2. How is Pentheus killed?
3. What prophecy does Meleager's mother remember in regards to her son's life and death?
4. How are the five families of Thebe formed?
5. Who is Erysichthon and how is he punished for his actions against the nymph?
6. What is the result of Phaeton's visit to the Sun?
7. How does Io come to be pregnant with Erasmus?
8. Why is the beautiful princess transformed into a Crow?
9. How does Minerva respond to Arachne's portrait of the gods?
10. What happens when Cephalus calls for a breeze to cool him in the woods?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Pythagoras acts as an important speaker at the end of Ovid's novel. Explain the arguments that Pythagoras gave, and how they acted to summarize the messages that Ovid attempted to make throughout the novel.
Essay Topic 2
Taking a woman by force is an unfortunately common practice in Ovid's "Metamorphoses". Explain how women are treated by the gods in the novel, and how the practice of taking a woman by force relates to the idea of love.
Essay Topic 3
Almost all interactions with the Olympian gods resulted in either punishment or reward for the lesser beings. Choose one example of punishment and one example of reward given by the Olympian gods. How does this dichotomy affect the relationship that lesser beings have with the Olympian gods throughout the text?
This section contains 905 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)