|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. During the competition, what does Minerva's portrait exemplify?
(a) The dangers of the underworld.
(b) The violence of the Olympian gods.
(c) The beauty of the Athens landscape.
(d) The glory of the Olympian gods.
2. Why does Jason arrive at King Aetes' court?
(a) To return the gold he stole.
(b) To take back the golden fleece.
(c) To claim righful ownership to the sword.
(d) To marry Medea.
3. How does Pyramus kill himself?
(a) He tears his own heart in two.
(b) He drowns himself in the sea.
(c) He stabs himself with a sword.
(d) He drinks a vile of poison.
4. Where do Cadmus and his wife live out the rest of their days after their transformation?
(a) In the clouds.
(b) In the underworld.
(c) In their same home.
(d) In the woods.
5. What is the name of the king who rules over Alcathous?
6. In what "age of time" does war begin to break out, but there is still a sense of normality in the daily lives of the people?
(a) The Bronze Age.
(b) The Silver Age.
(c) The Gold Age.
(d) The Iron Age.
7. What is Minos searching for in Athens?
(a) A woman to marry him.
(b) An ally to fight with him.
(c) An artist to create with him.
(d) A scholar to study with him.
8. What do the tears of the sea nymph who sees Dis steal Proserpina transform into?
(a) A bouquet of flowers.
(b) A gravestone.
(c) A black hole.
(d) A stream.
9. As Cadmus and his wife mourn Athamas and Ino, what animals are they turned into by their grief?
10. Who does Cupid's first arrow hit?
11. In response to Juno's actions against Tiresias, what gift does Jupiter give the old man?
(a) The ability to fly.
(b) The gift of everlasting life.
(c) The ability to prophecy.
(d) The ability to love.
12. Which of the following best describes Hercules' death?
13. What type of tree does Jupiter change Daphne into in order to protect her?
(a) An olive tree.
(b) A magnolia tree.
(c) A laurel tree.
(d) A hickory tree.
14. What part of her father's body does Scylla present to Minos in an act of love?
(a) His scalp.
(b) His heart.
(c) His eyes.
(d) His spine.
15. What power does Medusa's head hold?
(a) The power to turn people to stone.
(b) The power to turn people to snakes.
(c) The power to turn objects to gold.
(d) The power to turn water to wine.
Short Answer Questions
1. Over what does Achelous find himself in a fight with Hercules?
2. Why do Pyramus and Thisbe decide to run away from their families?
3. In hearing of Mercury's affections for Herse, what goddess does Minerva transform herself into?
4. What is the name of the goddess that threatens Niobe?
5. In Ovid's version of the creation of the earth, what are the first two forces to be separated?
This section contains 519 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)