|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The author's description of Marc Rich in Chapter 6 states that the trader was demanding and unfair with underlings and displayed little personality and had no sense of what?
2. Marc Rich was able to parlay his friendship with the Iranian broker into meaningful associations with whom?
3. When did Philipp Brothers merge with a publicly owned company, as described in Chapter 5?
4. How much money was Marc Rich required to pay per day in fines rather than relinquish corporate records that could land him in jail?
5. What is the chemical symbol for gold?`
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the author state the Metal Men never lost in Chapter 1?
2. What was the purpose of the scam and rumor in Chapter 2? Who was responsible for it?
3. Where did Mark Rich attend college? When and why did he leave?
4. What were international trading regulations like in the metal industry during the period in which the book is set?
5. What is written of Marc Rich's ambition and determination in Chapter 6? What was admirable about him?
6. What was Marc Rich's school experience like? Where did he attend high school?
7. What was Rich's objective as head of the Madrid offices? What industry changes affected his goals?
8. What had happened by the evening of the rumor in Chapter 2?
9. Why was the metal industry centered in London? How does the author describe the power of the industry in Chapter 1?
10. How many metals were openly traded? Where did others come from?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and discuss the differences in the international trading world when Marc Rich entered it and today. What changes have taken place since the 1950s in metal trading?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the early childhood of Marc Rich. Where was he born? What was his family like? When did the family move to the United States and why?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the figure of Ludwig Jesselson. What was Jesselson's position at Philipp Brothers? How did Jesselson feel about Marc Rich?
This section contains 885 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)