|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happened to the U.S. dollar in trading following the rumor's circulation in Chapter 2?
2. Under what master mover of the precious metals did many of the new recruits work under the tutelage of at Philipp Brothers?
3. The author describes in Chapter 1 that metal trading was a shadowy world in which huge amounts of money were traded and, to play in that arena, one had to be "extremely smart, stupid or " what?
4. In what year did Marc Rich begin his career as a metal man?
5. Following Rich's takeover as the head of Philipp Brothers' Madrid office, the downturn in industry in the U.S. and other markets left Philipp Brothers with what?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why was the metal industry centered in London? How does the author describe the power of the industry in Chapter 1?
2. Under whom did many of the new recruits at Philipp Brothers work? What was this individual like?
3. What was in great demand in Chapter 2? What were the results?
4. How does the author describe the industrial trading world of 1984 in Chapter 1?
5. Where was Marc Rich born? What was his father like?
6. How many metals were openly traded? Where did others come from?
7. What caused a major change in oil prices in Chapter 6? What was Rich's reaction?
8. Why did Marc Rich's family move to the United States? Where did they settle? How was Rich described in school?
9. What was the purpose of the scam and rumor in Chapter 2? Who was responsible for it?
10. Where did Mark Rich attend college? When and why did he leave?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the merger between Mineral & Chemicals Philipp Brothers and Engelhard Industries. When did this merger take place? What did each company hope to gain from the merger?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the early childhood of Marc Rich. Where was he born? What was his family like? When did the family move to the United States and why?
Essay Topic 3
Describe Marc Rich's experiences in Cuba. Who had taken control when Rich arrived in Cuba? How did this affect his business and trading practices?
This section contains 869 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)