|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The author writes in Chapter 6 that Rich was well aware that OPEC's demand for ______ would lead to an oil glut that the globe could not handle.
2. What happened with Philipp Brothers' profits after their merger in Chapter 5?
3. When did Rich became the manager of Philipp Brothers' Madrid office?
4. When did Marc Rich's family move to the United States?
5. The author writes in Chapter 6 that everyone from bellhops to brokers had similar thoughts about Marc Rich--he was effective but secretive and what?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the author describe the industrial trading world of 1984 in Chapter 1?
2. What caused a major change in oil prices in Chapter 6? What was Rich's reaction?
3. Under whom did many of the new recruits at Philipp Brothers work? What was this individual like?
4. What does the author write of the atmosphere at Philipp Brothers when Marc Rich began there? How was the market different from today?
5. What had happened by the evening of the rumor in Chapter 2?
6. What happened with banking following the merger with Engelhard in Chapter 6? How did this affect Rich?
7. What is written of Marc Rich's ambition and determination in Chapter 6? What was admirable about him?
8. Where was Marc Rich born? What was his father like?
9. Describe Marc Rich's wedding in Chapter 5. To whom and when did he marry? How was the wedding described?
10. Why did Marc Rich's family move to the United States? Where did they settle? How was Rich described in school?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Marc Rich's school experiences. Where did he attend high school and college? Why did he leave college and when?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the merger between Mineral & Chemicals Philipp Brothers and Engelhard Industries. When did this merger take place? What did each company hope to gain from the merger?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the figure of Ludwig Jesselson. What was Jesselson's position at Philipp Brothers? How did Jesselson feel about Marc Rich?
This section contains 834 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)