|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Marc Rich's family moved to the U.S. from fear of what?
2. How much money was Marc Rich required to pay per day in fines rather than relinquish corporate records that could land him in jail?
3. What does the author write that investors were not aware that every industry in the world was driven by in Chapter 1?
4. What did Rich trade with the Cubans in Chapter 5?
5. What was Marc Rich's father's occupation?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was Rich's objective as head of the Madrid offices? What industry changes affected his goals?
2. How was Marc Rich viewed by his contemporaries when he began in the metal industry?
3. What was in great demand in Chapter 2? What were the results?
4. How does the author describe the industrial trading world of 1984 in Chapter 1?
5. What happened with banking following the merger with Engelhard in Chapter 6? How did this affect Rich?
6. What is written of Marc Rich's ambition and determination in Chapter 6? What was admirable about him?
7. What was Marc Rich's school experience like? Where did he attend high school?
8. Describe Marc Rich's wedding in Chapter 5. To whom and when did he marry? How was the wedding described?
9. Where and when did Marc Rich begin his career as a metal man? What was the company like?
10. Under whom did many of the new recruits at Philipp Brothers work? What was this individual like?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the figure of Ludwig Jesselson. What was Jesselson's position at Philipp Brothers? How did Jesselson feel about Marc Rich?
Essay Topic 2
Describe Pincus "Pinky" Green. How did Green and Rich meet? What was their relationship like? In what capacity was Green involved in Marc Rich's company?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the effects of the merger between Philipp Brothers and the publicly owned Minerals & Chemicals Corporation. What was the effect of evolving into a publicly owned company?
This section contains 819 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)