|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Marc Rich was able to parlay his friendship with the Iranian broker into meaningful associations with whom?
2. What were the personalities of the traders related to in Chapter 1?
3. What is the chemical symbol for gold?`
4. What did Rich trade with the Cubans in Chapter 5?
5. After 15 years at the helm, the Philipps brothers' cousin and who were responsible for elevating Philipp Brothers to a powerful international trading force?
Short Essay Questions
1. When did Rich become the manager of the Madrid office at Philipp Brothers? How was he described in this position?
2. Why did Marc Rich's family move to the United States? Where did they settle? How was Rich described in school?
3. What was the purpose of the scam and rumor in Chapter 2? Who was responsible for it?
4. With what company did Philipp Brothers merge in 1960? What was the effect of the merger?
5. Where and when did Marc Rich begin his career as a metal man? What was the company like?
6. Why does the author state the Metal Men never lost in Chapter 1?
7. What rumor spread through the trading world in 1984? Was it confirmed?
8. How does the author describe the industrial trading world of 1984 in Chapter 1?
9. Why was the metal industry centered in London? How does the author describe the power of the industry in Chapter 1?
10. Describe the setting of the metals market as described in Chapter 2 following the rumor.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the early childhood of Marc Rich. Where was he born? What was his family like? When did the family move to the United States and why?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the merger between Mineral & Chemicals Philipp Brothers and Engelhard Industries. When did this merger take place? What did each company hope to gain from the merger?
Essay Topic 3
Describe Marc Rich's experiences in Cuba. Who had taken control when Rich arrived in Cuba? How did this affect his business and trading practices?
This section contains 868 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)