|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What company did Marc Rich buy as a tax shelter to hide his massive cash assets?
2. In what year was Marc Rich born?
3. What metal did Marc Rich first begin trading at Philipp Brothers?
4. In what year did the rumor circulate in Chapter 2?
5. The rumor from Chapter 2 began circulating where?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why was the metal industry centered in London? How does the author describe the power of the industry in Chapter 1?
2. With what company did Philipp Brothers merge in 1960? What was the effect of the merger?
3. Where did Mark Rich attend college? When and why did he leave?
4. Where did Jesselson send Marc Rich in Chapter 5? What did he learn there?
5. Describe the setting of the metals market as described in Chapter 2 following the rumor.
6. What was Rich's objective as head of the Madrid offices? What industry changes affected his goals?
7. What happened with banking following the merger with Engelhard in Chapter 6? How did this affect Rich?
8. Describe Ludwig Jesselson. How did he work with clients?
9. What had happened by the evening of the rumor in Chapter 2?
10. Why did Marc Rich's family move to the United States? Where did they settle? How was Rich described in school?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and discuss the differences in the international trading world when Marc Rich entered it and today. What changes have taken place since the 1950s in metal trading?
Essay Topic 2
Why did Marc Rich choose to headquarter his company in Switzerland? Describe the laws and regulations of the town where Rich opened his corporation.
Essay Topic 3
Describe Marc Rich's experiences in Cuba. Who had taken control when Rich arrived in Cuba? How did this affect his business and trading practices?
This section contains 841 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)