|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The author's description of Marc Rich in Chapter 6 states that the trader was demanding and unfair with underlings and displayed little personality and had no sense of what?
2. The author describes in Chapter 1 that metal trading was a shadowy world in which huge amounts of money were traded and, to play in that arena, one had to be "extremely smart, stupid or " what?
3. Following Rich's takeover as the head of Philipp Brothers' Madrid office, the downturn in industry in the U.S. and other markets left Philipp Brothers with what?
4. Traders of what trading company were busted by the FBI in 1981?
5. What happened to the U.S. dollar in trading following the rumor's circulation in Chapter 2?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Marc Rich's wedding in Chapter 5. To whom and when did he marry? How was the wedding described?
2. What was the purpose of the scam and rumor in Chapter 2? Who was responsible for it?
3. How does the author describe the industrial trading world of 1984 in Chapter 1?
4. What happened with banking following the merger with Engelhard in Chapter 6? How did this affect Rich?
5. How was Marc Rich described by those who knew him in Chapter 6?
6. Why was the metal industry centered in London? How does the author describe the power of the industry in Chapter 1?
7. Why does the author state the Metal Men never lost in Chapter 1?
8. Where and when did Marc Rich begin his career as a metal man? What was the company like?
9. Where did Mark Rich attend college? When and why did he leave?
10. Describe Ludwig Jesselson. How did he work with clients?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the merger between Mineral & Chemicals Philipp Brothers and Engelhard Industries. When did this merger take place? What did each company hope to gain from the merger?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the metal trading industry as it was illustrated by the author in the Introduction and Chapter 1 of Metal Men: Marc Rich and the 10-billion-dollar Scam. Where was the industry headquartered? Why?
Essay Topic 3
Describe Marc Rich's experiences in Cuba. Who had taken control when Rich arrived in Cuba? How did this affect his business and trading practices?
This section contains 930 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)