|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How much money was Marc Rich required to pay per day in fines rather than relinquish corporate records that could land him in jail?
2. The author writes in Chapter 5 that during Jesselson's tenure at Philipp Brothers there was no need for buy-outs or what?
3. Where had there been no official release of the news of the rumor in Chapter 2?
4. Where did Marc Rich's family settle in the United States?
5. The author writes in Chapter 5 that Jesselson's tenure at Philipp Brothers was during an era when relationships were forged by trust, not by what?
Short Essay Questions
1. How many metals were openly traded? Where did others come from?
2. Why does the author state the Metal Men never lost in Chapter 1?
3. Under whom did many of the new recruits at Philipp Brothers work? What was this individual like?
4. How great an empire did Marc Rich build? How is he described by the author in Chapter 1?
5. Why did Marc Rich's family move to the United States? Where did they settle? How was Rich described in school?
6. Where and when did Marc Rich begin his career as a metal man? What was the company like?
7. Describe Marc Rich's wedding in Chapter 5. To whom and when did he marry? How was the wedding described?
8. Where did Mark Rich attend college? When and why did he leave?
9. Where did Jesselson send Marc Rich in Chapter 5? What did he learn there?
10. What were international trading regulations like in the metal industry during the period in which the book is set?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the merger between Mineral & Chemicals Philipp Brothers and Engelhard Industries. When did this merger take place? What did each company hope to gain from the merger?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and discuss the differences in the international trading world when Marc Rich entered it and today. What changes have taken place since the 1950s in metal trading?
Essay Topic 3
Describe Marc Rich's early days at Philipp Brothers. From what offices did he work? Who supervised and trained Rich?
This section contains 855 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)