|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Marc Rich's father's occupation?
2. Marc Rich created an oil market that allowed customers to buy oil without having to do what?
3. Within seven short years in trading, how much money had Marc Rich established in his personal empire?
4. Who is surmised to have given the orders to initiate the rumor in Chapter 2?
5. What publicly owned company did Philipp Brothers merge with in Chapter 5?
Short Essay Questions
1. How great an empire did Marc Rich build? How is he described by the author in Chapter 1?
2. What caused a major change in oil prices in Chapter 6? What was Rich's reaction?
3. How was Marc Rich viewed by his contemporaries when he began in the metal industry?
4. Why does the author state the Metal Men never lost in Chapter 1?
5. Where did Jesselson send Marc Rich in Chapter 5? What did he learn there?
6. What was the purpose of the scam and rumor in Chapter 2? Who was responsible for it?
7. Describe Marc Rich's wedding in Chapter 5. To whom and when did he marry? How was the wedding described?
8. What was in great demand in Chapter 2? What were the results?
9. Why was the metal industry centered in London? How does the author describe the power of the industry in Chapter 1?
10. Why did Marc Rich's family move to the United States? Where did they settle? How was Rich described in school?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Marc Rich's school experiences. Where did he attend high school and college? Why did he leave college and when?
Essay Topic 2
What rumor circulated the trading industry in 1984? What effect did it have on the global economy? Who was responsible for originating the rumor?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the narrative style of Metal Men: Marc Rich and the 10-billion-dollar Scam. Define and identify the voice, tense, and point of view of the narrative.
This section contains 854 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)