|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The author writes in Chapter 6 that everyone from bellhops to brokers had similar thoughts about Marc Rich--he was effective but secretive and what?
2. In Chapter 2, a rumor circulated that who had succumbed to a cerebral hemorrhage?
3. What individual in Chapter 2 was also known as Dapper Dan?
4. What is the chemical symbol for gold?`
5. When did Philipp Brothers merge with a publicly owned company, as described in Chapter 5?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where did Mark Rich attend college? When and why did he leave?
2. When did charges begin to rack up for Marc Rich? Who led the prosecution team against him?
3. What did a judge order Rich to pay in fines in Chapter 16? Why?
4. Under whom did many of the new recruits at Philipp Brothers work? What was this individual like?
5. Where were Rich's offices in Chapter 8? How were they described?
6. How was Marc Rich described by those who knew him in Chapter 6?
7. What rumor spread through the trading world in 1984? Was it confirmed?
8. Why was the metal industry centered in London? How does the author describe the power of the industry in Chapter 1?
9. Where and when did Marc Rich begin his career as a metal man? What was the company like?
10. What two employees was Marc Rich greatly disappointed by in Chapter 12? What had each done?
Essay Topic 1
When did Marc Rich become the managing director of the Madrid offices for Philipp Brothers? What changes did he undergo in this position? What were his relationships with colleagues like?
Essay Topic 2
Describe Marc Rich's early days at Philipp Brothers. From what offices did he work? Who supervised and trained Rich?
Essay Topic 3
Describe Pincus "Pinky" Green. How did Green and Rich meet? What was their relationship like? In what capacity was Green involved in Marc Rich's company?
This section contains 1,303 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)