|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The price of silver rose how many cents an ounce following the rumor in Chapter 2?
2. What product did Marc Rich's father-in-law trade in Chapter 5?
3. In what year does the author write in Chapter 6 that oil prices began to dictate market value?
4. From where had orders been given which led to the origin of the rumor in Chapter 2?
5. What metal did Marc Rich first begin trading at Philipp Brothers?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where did Mark Rich attend college? When and why did he leave?
2. What happened with banking following the merger with Engelhard in Chapter 6? How did this affect Rich?
3. Under whom did many of the new recruits at Philipp Brothers work? What was this individual like?
4. Why does the author state the Metal Men never lost in Chapter 1?
5. What does the author write of the atmosphere at Philipp Brothers when Marc Rich began there? How was the market different from today?
6. Who was Doug Lee? How is he described in Chapter 2?
7. How was Marc Rich described by those who knew him in Chapter 6?
8. Describe Ludwig Jesselson. How did he work with clients?
9. What had happened by the evening of the rumor in Chapter 2?
10. How was Marc Rich viewed by his contemporaries when he began in the metal industry?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and discuss the events which led to the downturn in the industry after Rich became managing director of the Madrid offices. What changed about the U.S. dollar during this time? How was the global economy affected?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the narrative style of Metal Men: Marc Rich and the 10-billion-dollar Scam. Define and identify the voice, tense, and point of view of the narrative.
Essay Topic 3
Describe Marc Rich's early days at Philipp Brothers. From what offices did he work? Who supervised and trained Rich?
This section contains 847 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)