|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What company had Marc Rich begun working at immediately after dropping out of college?
2. What happened with Philipp Brothers' profits after their merger in Chapter 5?
3. What is the chemical number for nickel?
4. What did Marc Rich begin taking in Chapter 6 to manage his weight?
5. The author describes in Chapter 1 that metal trading was a shadowy world in which huge amounts of money were traded and, to play in that arena, one had to be "extremely smart, stupid or " what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is written of Marc Rich's ambition and determination in Chapter 6? What was admirable about him?
2. What rumor spread through the trading world in 1984? Was it confirmed?
3. What happened with banking following the merger with Engelhard in Chapter 6? How did this affect Rich?
4. What were international trading regulations like in the metal industry during the period in which the book is set?
5. Who was Doug Lee? How is he described in Chapter 2?
6. What was in great demand in Chapter 2? What were the results?
7. What was Rich's objective as head of the Madrid offices? What industry changes affected his goals?
8. Describe Ludwig Jesselson. How did he work with clients?
9. How many metals were openly traded? Where did others come from?
10. Describe the setting of the metals market as described in Chapter 2 following the rumor.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the figure of Ludwig Jesselson. What was Jesselson's position at Philipp Brothers? How did Jesselson feel about Marc Rich?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and discuss the differences in the international trading world when Marc Rich entered it and today. What changes have taken place since the 1950s in metal trading?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the narrative style of Metal Men: Marc Rich and the 10-billion-dollar Scam. Define and identify the voice, tense, and point of view of the narrative.
This section contains 806 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)