|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The trading community admired Rich because he was able to get around many what that stood in the way of many countries and their corporations?
2. Where was Marc Rich exiled after his legal troubles in the United States?
3. Marc Rich created an oil market that allowed customers to buy oil without having to do what?
4. Who had recently taken power in Cuba when Rich began making business contacts there?
5. Where was Marc Rich born?
Short Essay Questions
1. How was Marc Rich viewed by his contemporaries when he began in the metal industry?
2. Describe the setting of the metals market as described in Chapter 2 following the rumor.
3. What is written of Marc Rich's ambition and determination in Chapter 6? What was admirable about him?
4. Describe Marc Rich's wedding in Chapter 5. To whom and when did he marry? How was the wedding described?
5. Who was Doug Lee? How is he described in Chapter 2?
6. How does the author describe the industrial trading world of 1984 in Chapter 1?
7. Why did Marc Rich's family move to the United States? Where did they settle? How was Rich described in school?
8. Under whom did many of the new recruits at Philipp Brothers work? What was this individual like?
9. With what company did Philipp Brothers merge in 1960? What was the effect of the merger?
10. Describe Ludwig Jesselson. How did he work with clients?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the metal trading industry as it was illustrated by the author in the Introduction and Chapter 1 of Metal Men: Marc Rich and the 10-billion-dollar Scam. Where was the industry headquartered? Why?
Essay Topic 2
Describe Marc Rich as the central figure in Metal Men: Marc Rich and the 10-billion-dollar Scam. What personality characteristics are noted of Rich? What were his relationships like?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the narrative style of Metal Men: Marc Rich and the 10-billion-dollar Scam. Define and identify the voice, tense, and point of view of the narrative.
This section contains 853 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)