|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Marc Rich's family settle in the United States?
2. What was in the greatest demand following the circulation of the rumor in Chapter 2?
3. How much money did Marc Rich earn per week when he started working at Philipp Brothers?
4. The author writes in Chapter 6 that everyone from bellhops to brokers had similar thoughts about Marc Rich--he was effective but secretive and what?
5. In what year did Marc Rich begin his career as a metal man?
Short Essay Questions
1. How was Marc Rich described by those who knew him in Chapter 6?
2. What was in great demand in Chapter 2? What were the results?
3. Describe Marc Rich's wedding in Chapter 5. To whom and when did he marry? How was the wedding described?
4. Describe Ludwig Jesselson. How did he work with clients?
5. How does the author describe the industrial trading world of 1984 in Chapter 1?
6. How many metals were openly traded? Where did others come from?
7. What happened with banking following the merger with Engelhard in Chapter 6? How did this affect Rich?
8. What rumor spread through the trading world in 1984? Was it confirmed?
9. Who was Doug Lee? How is he described in Chapter 2?
10. Where and when did Marc Rich begin his career as a metal man? What was the company like?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the early childhood of Marc Rich. Where was he born? What was his family like? When did the family move to the United States and why?
Essay Topic 2
When did Marc Rich become the managing director of the Madrid offices for Philipp Brothers? What changes did he undergo in this position? What were his relationships with colleagues like?
Essay Topic 3
Describe Marc Rich's early days at Philipp Brothers. From what offices did he work? Who supervised and trained Rich?
This section contains 773 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)