|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many of the forty sought-after metals were traded openly?
2. What company did Marc Rich buy as a tax shelter to hide his massive cash assets?
3. Who was the only business associate with whom Marc Rich developed a close relationship that lasted over time?
4. Under what master mover of the precious metals did many of the new recruits work under the tutelage of at Philipp Brothers?
5. In what year was there a growing awareness of the creeping power of the Ronald Reagan dollar, which was gaining fiscal strength over European currencies?
Short Essay Questions
1. How was Marc Rich described by those who knew him in Chapter 6?
2. How great an empire did Marc Rich build? How is he described by the author in Chapter 1?
3. Why did Marc Rich's family move to the United States? Where did they settle? How was Rich described in school?
4. How many metals were openly traded? Where did others come from?
5. What rumor spread through the trading world in 1984? Was it confirmed?
6. How was Marc Rich viewed by his contemporaries when he began in the metal industry?
7. What is written of Marc Rich's ambition and determination in Chapter 6? What was admirable about him?
8. Under whom did many of the new recruits at Philipp Brothers work? What was this individual like?
9. Where was Marc Rich born? What was his father like?
10. Describe the setting of the metals market as described in Chapter 2 following the rumor.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What rumor circulated the trading industry in 1984? What effect did it have on the global economy? Who was responsible for originating the rumor?
Essay Topic 2
Describe Marc Rich's wedding. When was he married and to whom? What was remarked about the wedding of Rich?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the figure of Ludwig Jesselson. What was Jesselson's position at Philipp Brothers? How did Jesselson feel about Marc Rich?
This section contains 801 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)