|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The author writes in Chapter 5 that being advanced at trading merely required the ability to tame the furies of what?
2. The author writes in Chapter 6 that everyone from bellhops to brokers had similar thoughts about Marc Rich--he was effective but secretive and what?
3. Who was the only business associate with whom Marc Rich developed a close relationship that lasted over time?
4. With what were the traders who were busted by the FBI in 1981 charged?
5. What was Marc Rich's father's occupation?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Ludwig Jesselson. How did he work with clients?
2. How does the author describe the industrial trading world of 1984 in Chapter 1?
3. Where did Rich turn for more oil in the 1970s? How great did his oil empire become?
4. What did the Board do when they learned of Rich's dealings with Iran? What deal had Rich made?
5. What was the principle obstacle Rich faced in his dealings with Iran after the Ayatollah Khomeini took over control? What did Rich do?
6. What had happened by the evening of the rumor in Chapter 2?
7. What was in great demand in Chapter 2? What were the results?
8. What impact did OPEC have on the oil trade in Chapter 7? How did this affect Rich's dealings?
9. What was the main problem for Philipp Brothers with the oil trade? Who was concerned about Rich's risks?
10. Where were Rich's offices in Chapter 8? How were they described?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the narrative style of Metal Men: Marc Rich and the 10-billion-dollar Scam. Define and identify the voice, tense, and point of view of the narrative.
Essay Topic 2
Describe Marc Rich's wedding. When was he married and to whom? What was remarked about the wedding of Rich?
Essay Topic 3
Describe Marc Rich's experiences in Cuba. Who had taken control when Rich arrived in Cuba? How did this affect his business and trading practices?
This section contains 1,351 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)