|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What company had Marc Rich begun working at immediately after dropping out of college?
2. Traders of what trading company were busted by the FBI in 1981?
3. When did Philipp Brothers merge with a publicly owned company, as described in Chapter 5?
4. Where was the Vice President of the United States in Chapter 2?
5. What product did Marc Rich's father-in-law trade in Chapter 5?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was in great demand in Chapter 2? What were the results?
2. Why was the metal industry centered in London? How does the author describe the power of the industry in Chapter 1?
3. What was the purpose of the scam and rumor in Chapter 2? Who was responsible for it?
4. What happened with banking following the merger with Engelhard in Chapter 6? How did this affect Rich?
5. What had happened by the evening of the rumor in Chapter 2?
6. Describe Marc Rich's wedding in Chapter 5. To whom and when did he marry? How was the wedding described?
7. Why does the author state the Metal Men never lost in Chapter 1?
8. How was Marc Rich described by those who knew him in Chapter 6?
9. How was Marc Rich viewed by his contemporaries when he began in the metal industry?
10. What rumor spread through the trading world in 1984? Was it confirmed?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Marc Rich's school experiences. Where did he attend high school and college? Why did he leave college and when?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and discuss the events which led to the downturn in the industry after Rich became managing director of the Madrid offices. What changed about the U.S. dollar during this time? How was the global economy affected?
Essay Topic 3
Describe Pincus "Pinky" Green. How did Green and Rich meet? What was their relationship like? In what capacity was Green involved in Marc Rich's company?
This section contains 827 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)