|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was the only business associate with whom Marc Rich developed a close relationship that lasted over time?
2. In what year did the rumor circulate in Chapter 2?
3. What did Marc Rich begin taking in Chapter 6 to manage his weight?
4. What was in the greatest demand following the circulation of the rumor in Chapter 2?
5. Who encouraged Marc Rich to quit college and become a trader?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the setting of the metals market as described in Chapter 2 following the rumor.
2. Why was the metal industry centered in London? How does the author describe the power of the industry in Chapter 1?
3. What had happened by the evening of the rumor in Chapter 2?
4. What was the purpose of the scam and rumor in Chapter 2? Who was responsible for it?
5. Where and when did Marc Rich begin his career as a metal man? What was the company like?
6. Where was Marc Rich born? What was his father like?
7. How was Marc Rich described by those who knew him in Chapter 6?
8. What caused a major change in oil prices in Chapter 6? What was Rich's reaction?
9. When did Rich become the manager of the Madrid office at Philipp Brothers? How was he described in this position?
10. What rumor spread through the trading world in 1984? Was it confirmed?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Pincus "Pinky" Green. How did Green and Rich meet? What was their relationship like? In what capacity was Green involved in Marc Rich's company?
Essay Topic 2
Describe Marc Rich's experiences in Cuba. Who had taken control when Rich arrived in Cuba? How did this affect his business and trading practices?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and discuss the events which led to the downturn in the industry after Rich became managing director of the Madrid offices. What changed about the U.S. dollar during this time? How was the global economy affected?
This section contains 853 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)