|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what year was the U.S. dollar no longer backed by gold?
2. The author writes that in the geographical location of Europe, one could buy a metal for one dollar from a Far Eastern customer and sell it for how much to a North American customer before the day ended?
3. What company did Marc Rich buy as a tax shelter to hide his massive cash assets?
4. Where did Marc Rich's family settle in the United States?
5. The author describes in Chapter 1 that metal trading was a shadowy world in which huge amounts of money were traded and, to play in that arena, one had to be "extremely smart, stupid or " what?
Short Essay Questions
1. How was Marc Rich described by those who knew him in Chapter 6?
2. How was Marc Rich viewed by his contemporaries when he began in the metal industry?
3. What were international trading regulations like in the metal industry during the period in which the book is set?
4. What was the purpose of the scam and rumor in Chapter 2? Who was responsible for it?
5. Why was the metal industry centered in London? How does the author describe the power of the industry in Chapter 1?
6. Where was Marc Rich born? What was his father like?
7. What had happened by the evening of the rumor in Chapter 2?
8. Why does the author state the Metal Men never lost in Chapter 1?
9. Under whom did many of the new recruits at Philipp Brothers work? What was this individual like?
10. Describe Marc Rich's wedding in Chapter 5. To whom and when did he marry? How was the wedding described?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Pincus "Pinky" Green. How did Green and Rich meet? What was their relationship like? In what capacity was Green involved in Marc Rich's company?
Essay Topic 2
Describe Marc Rich's early days at Philipp Brothers. From what offices did he work? Who supervised and trained Rich?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the narrative style of Metal Men: Marc Rich and the 10-billion-dollar Scam. Define and identify the voice, tense, and point of view of the narrative.
This section contains 863 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)