|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Rich trade with the Cubans in Chapter 5?
2. What did Marc Rich begin taking in Chapter 6 to manage his weight?
3. Where did Marc Rich buy a luxury restaurant?
4. The author writes in Chapter 6 that Rich was well aware that OPEC's demand for ______ would lead to an oil glut that the globe could not handle.
5. What company had Marc Rich begun working at immediately after dropping out of college?
Short Essay Questions
1. What two employees was Marc Rich greatly disappointed by in Chapter 12? What had each done?
2. What were international trading regulations like in the metal industry during the period in which the book is set?
3. How did Marc Rich react to the initial investigation against him?
4. What was the reaction of the New York offices following the gunpoint incident in Chapter 10? How was Rich connected to the affair?
5. Under whom did many of the new recruits at Philipp Brothers work? What was this individual like?
6. Why was the metal industry centered in London? How does the author describe the power of the industry in Chapter 1?
7. What was the principle obstacle Rich faced in his dealings with Iran after the Ayatollah Khomeini took over control? What did Rich do?
8. How was Marc Rich described by those who knew him in Chapter 6?
9. What was Rich's plan for "The Mutiny" in Chapter 6? How did it play out?
10. What impact did OPEC have on the oil trade in Chapter 7? How did this affect Rich's dealings?
Essay Topic 1
Describe the effects of the merger between Philipp Brothers and the publicly owned Minerals & Chemicals Corporation. What was the effect of evolving into a publicly owned company?
Essay Topic 2
Describe Pincus "Pinky" Green. How did Green and Rich meet? What was their relationship like? In what capacity was Green involved in Marc Rich's company?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the narrative style of Metal Men: Marc Rich and the 10-billion-dollar Scam. Define and identify the voice, tense, and point of view of the narrative.
This section contains 1,381 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)