|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. From where had orders been given which led to the origin of the rumor in Chapter 2?
2. Who among Marc Rich's contemporaries at Philipp Brothers took to the young trader?
3. The author's description of Marc Rich in Chapter 6 states that the trader was demanding and unfair with underlings and displayed little personality and had no sense of what?
4. The author writes in Chapter 5 that being advanced at trading merely required the ability to tame the furies of what?
5. The author writes in Chapter 6 that solid relationships with what were essential in the trading world?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where was Marc Rich born? What was his father like?
2. What rumor spread through the trading world in 1984? Was it confirmed?
3. Describe Ludwig Jesselson. How did he work with clients?
4. What had happened by the evening of the rumor in Chapter 2?
5. When did Rich become the manager of the Madrid office at Philipp Brothers? How was he described in this position?
6. How was Marc Rich viewed by his contemporaries when he began in the metal industry?
7. Why did Marc Rich's family move to the United States? Where did they settle? How was Rich described in school?
8. How many metals were openly traded? Where did others come from?
9. What was the purpose of the scam and rumor in Chapter 2? Who was responsible for it?
10. What happened with banking following the merger with Engelhard in Chapter 6? How did this affect Rich?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How did A. Craig Copetas research Metal Men: Marc Rich and the 10-billion-dollar Scam? Were Marc Rich or other traders interviewed?
Essay Topic 2
Describe Marc Rich as the central figure in Metal Men: Marc Rich and the 10-billion-dollar Scam. What personality characteristics are noted of Rich? What were his relationships like?
Essay Topic 3
Describe Marc Rich's early days at Philipp Brothers. From what offices did he work? Who supervised and trained Rich?
This section contains 862 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)