|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Marc Rich created an oil market that allowed customers to buy oil without having to do what?
2. What was in the greatest demand following the circulation of the rumor in Chapter 2?
3. In Chapter 2, a rumor circulated that who had succumbed to a cerebral hemorrhage?
4. How much money was Marc Rich required to pay per day in fines rather than relinquish corporate records that could land him in jail?
5. The author's description of Marc Rich in Chapter 6 states that the trader was demanding and unfair with underlings and displayed little personality and had no sense of what?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the setting of the metals market as described in Chapter 2 following the rumor.
2. How great an empire did Marc Rich build? How is he described by the author in Chapter 1?
3. What did a judge order Rich to pay in fines in Chapter 16? Why?
4. What was Rich's plan for "The Mutiny" in Chapter 6? How did it play out?
5. How did Marc Rich react to the initial investigation against him?
6. How did Rich feel about the reaction of the Board to his dealings with Iran in Chapter 6?
7. What was the purpose of the scam and rumor in Chapter 2? Who was responsible for it?
8. What did Rich register his company as in Chapter 8? Where did he operate?
9. What happened to Robbie Lichtenstern in Chapter 14? How did he die?
10. Where did Marc Rich establish his own business in Chapter 8? Why did he choose this locale?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Marc Rich as the central figure in Metal Men: Marc Rich and the 10-billion-dollar Scam. What personality characteristics are noted of Rich? What were his relationships like?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the indictments and charges against Marc Rich and Pincus Green. Who led the prosecution team against Rich? How much money was recovered for the U.S. government? Where are Rich and Green today?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the metal trading industry as it was illustrated by the author in the Introduction and Chapter 1 of Metal Men: Marc Rich and the 10-billion-dollar Scam. Where was the industry headquartered? Why?
This section contains 1,356 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)