|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When was Philipp Brothers founded?
2. What is the name of an oil cartel of twelve developing countries made up of Algeria, Angola, Ecuador, Iran, Iraq, Kuwait, Libya, Nigeria, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, the United Arab Emirates, and Venezuela?
3. The author writes that in the geographical location of Europe, one could buy a metal for one dollar from a Far Eastern customer and sell it for how much to a North American customer before the day ended?
4. In what year did the rumor circulate in Chapter 2?
5. What does the author write that investors were not aware that every industry in the world was driven by in Chapter 1?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the purpose of the scam and rumor in Chapter 2? Who was responsible for it?
2. Why does the author state the Metal Men never lost in Chapter 1?
3. What was Marc Rich's school experience like? Where did he attend high school?
4. What is written of Marc Rich's ambition and determination in Chapter 6? What was admirable about him?
5. What had happened by the evening of the rumor in Chapter 2?
6. How was Marc Rich described by those who knew him in Chapter 6?
7. What rumor spread through the trading world in 1984? Was it confirmed?
8. What does the author write of the atmosphere at Philipp Brothers when Marc Rich began there? How was the market different from today?
9. Describe the setting of the metals market as described in Chapter 2 following the rumor.
10. What happened with banking following the merger with Engelhard in Chapter 6? How did this affect Rich?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the effects of the merger between Philipp Brothers and the publicly owned Minerals & Chemicals Corporation. What was the effect of evolving into a publicly owned company?
Essay Topic 2
When did Marc Rich become the managing director of the Madrid offices for Philipp Brothers? What changes did he undergo in this position? What were his relationships with colleagues like?
Essay Topic 3
Describe Marc Rich's school experiences. Where did he attend high school and college? Why did he leave college and when?
This section contains 864 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)