|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What metal did Marc Rich first begin trading at Philipp Brothers?
2. What was the European center for the industrial trading market in the 1980s?
3. The price of silver rose how many cents an ounce following the rumor in Chapter 2?
4. From what college had Marc Rich dropped out?
5. In what year was the U.S. dollar no longer backed by gold?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the author describe the industrial trading world of 1984 in Chapter 1?
2. Describe the setting of the metals market as described in Chapter 2 following the rumor.
3. With what company did Philipp Brothers merge in 1960? What was the effect of the merger?
4. How great an empire did Marc Rich build? How is he described by the author in Chapter 1?
5. Why did Marc Rich's family move to the United States? Where did they settle? How was Rich described in school?
6. Why does the author state the Metal Men never lost in Chapter 1?
7. Under whom did many of the new recruits at Philipp Brothers work? What was this individual like?
8. How many metals were openly traded? Where did others come from?
9. What was in great demand in Chapter 2? What were the results?
10. Where did Mark Rich attend college? When and why did he leave?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the narrative style of Metal Men: Marc Rich and the 10-billion-dollar Scam. Define and identify the voice, tense, and point of view of the narrative.
Essay Topic 2
What rumor circulated the trading industry in 1984? What effect did it have on the global economy? Who was responsible for originating the rumor?
Essay Topic 3
How did A. Craig Copetas research Metal Men: Marc Rich and the 10-billion-dollar Scam? Were Marc Rich or other traders interviewed?
This section contains 747 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)