|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was the name of Marc Rich's father?
(a) David Rich.
(b) Chaim Reich.
(c) David Reich.
(d) Abraham Rich.
2. In what year does the author write in Chapter 6 that oil prices began to dictate market value?
3. In what year did the rumor circulate in Chapter 2?
4. Traders of what trading company were busted by the FBI in 1981?
(a) Entergy Incorporated.
(b) Intertech Resources, Inc.
(c) Chemical Resources, Inc.
(d) Mineral Resources, Inc.
5. What happened to trading following the circulation of the rumor in Chapter 2?
(a) Trading dropped dramatically.
(b) Trading stood still.
(c) Trading dropped steadily.
(d) Trading escalated dramatically.
Short Answer Questions
1. The author writes in Chapter 5 that Jesselson's tenure at Philipp Brothers was during an era when relationships were forged by trust, not by what?
2. Marc Rich created an oil market that allowed customers to buy oil without having to do what?
3. What is the largest city in the German state of Hesse and the fifth-largest city in Germany?
4. Where was Marc Rich exiled after his legal troubles in the United States?
5. The trading community admired Rich because he was able to get around many what that stood in the way of many countries and their corporations?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened with banking following the merger with Engelhard in Chapter 6? How did this affect Rich?
2. Where and when did Marc Rich begin his career as a metal man? What was the company like?
3. What is written of Marc Rich's ambition and determination in Chapter 6? What was admirable about him?
4. Why was the metal industry centered in London? How does the author describe the power of the industry in Chapter 1?
5. How many metals were openly traded? Where did others come from?
6. When did Rich become the manager of the Madrid office at Philipp Brothers? How was he described in this position?
7. Where did Jesselson send Marc Rich in Chapter 5? What did he learn there?
8. Who was Doug Lee? How is he described in Chapter 2?
9. With what company did Philipp Brothers merge in 1960? What was the effect of the merger?
10. What does the author write of the atmosphere at Philipp Brothers when Marc Rich began there? How was the market different from today?
This section contains 930 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)