|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. From what college had Marc Rich dropped out?
(a) New York University.
(b) Princeton University.
(c) Rutgers University.
(d) Harvard University.
2. Traders of what trading company were busted by the FBI in 1981?
(a) Entergy Incorporated.
(b) Mineral Resources, Inc.
(c) Intertech Resources, Inc.
(d) Chemical Resources, Inc.
3. In what year was the U.S. dollar no longer backed by gold?
4. When was Philipp Brothers founded?
5. What publicly owned company did Philipp Brothers merge with in Chapter 5?
(a) Intertech Resources.
(b) Metals and Chemicals Corporation.
(c) Entergy Corporation.
(d) Minerals & Chemicals Corporation.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Philipp Brothers establish a firm it was miraculously able to keep alive during World War I?
2. What individual in Chapter 2 was also known as Dapper Dan?
3. Who among Marc Rich's contemporaries at Philipp Brothers took to the young trader?
4. What company did Marc Rich buy as a tax shelter to hide his massive cash assets?
5. How many of the forty sought-after metals were traded openly?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened with banking following the merger with Engelhard in Chapter 6? How did this affect Rich?
2. Where was Marc Rich born? What was his father like?
3. What is written of Marc Rich's ambition and determination in Chapter 6? What was admirable about him?
4. What does the author write of the atmosphere at Philipp Brothers when Marc Rich began there? How was the market different from today?
5. When did Rich become the manager of the Madrid office at Philipp Brothers? How was he described in this position?
6. What caused a major change in oil prices in Chapter 6? What was Rich's reaction?
7. What was Rich's objective as head of the Madrid offices? What industry changes affected his goals?
8. Where did Jesselson send Marc Rich in Chapter 5? What did he learn there?
9. With what company did Philipp Brothers merge in 1960? What was the effect of the merger?
10. How was Marc Rich viewed by his contemporaries when he began in the metal industry?
This section contains 843 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)