|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what year did the rumor circulate in Chapter 2?
2. Who had recently taken power in Cuba when Rich began making business contacts there?
(a) Raul Castro.
(b) Mirta Díaz Balart.
(c) Fidel Castro.
(d) Fulgencio Batista.
3. Marc Rich created an oil market that allowed customers to buy oil without having to do what?
(a) Transport the oil.
(b) Use bank loans.
(c) Own oil tankers.
(d) Deal directly with the oil companies.
4. Traders of what trading company were busted by the FBI in 1981?
(a) Chemical Resources, Inc.
(b) Intertech Resources, Inc.
(c) Mineral Resources, Inc.
(d) Entergy Incorporated.
5. What is the chemical symbol for gold?`
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Rich trade with the Cubans in Chapter 5?
2. What did Marc Rich begin taking in Chapter 6 to manage his weight?
3. The author writes in Chapter 6 that Rich was well aware that OPEC's demand for ______ would lead to an oil glut that the globe could not handle.
4. Who was the only business associate with whom Marc Rich developed a close relationship that lasted over time?
5. From what college had Marc Rich dropped out?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Marc Rich's wedding in Chapter 5. To whom and when did he marry? How was the wedding described?
2. Describe Ludwig Jesselson. How did he work with clients?
3. Where did Mark Rich attend college? When and why did he leave?
4. What were international trading regulations like in the metal industry during the period in which the book is set?
5. With what company did Philipp Brothers merge in 1960? What was the effect of the merger?
6. How was Marc Rich described by those who knew him in Chapter 6?
7. How many metals were openly traded? Where did others come from?
8. What was Rich's objective as head of the Madrid offices? What industry changes affected his goals?
9. What was the purpose of the scam and rumor in Chapter 2? Who was responsible for it?
10. When did Rich become the manager of the Madrid office at Philipp Brothers? How was he described in this position?
This section contains 858 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)