|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the name of Marc Rich's current estate, located on the shores of Lake Lucerne?
(a) "La villa bleu."
(b) "Lucerne villa."
(c) "La villa rose."
(d) "La villa blanc."
2. What is the chemical symbol for silver?
3. Whom did Marc Rich marry, according to Chapter 5?
(a) Angelina Davis.
(b) Imelda Marcos.
(c) Mirta Díaz Balart.
(d) Denise Eisenberg.
4. In what year did the rumor circulate in Chapter 2?
5. What does the author write that investors were not aware that every industry in the world was driven by in Chapter 1?
Short Answer Questions
1. The author describes in Chapter 1 that metal trading was a shadowy world in which huge amounts of money were traded and, to play in that arena, one had to be "extremely smart, stupid or " what?
2. Where did Marc Rich buy a luxury restaurant?
3. What publicly owned company did Philipp Brothers merge with in Chapter 5?
4. Who was the only business associate with whom Marc Rich developed a close relationship that lasted over time?
5. What was in the greatest demand following the circulation of the rumor in Chapter 2?
Short Essay Questions
1. What had happened by the evening of the rumor in Chapter 2?
2. When did Rich become the manager of the Madrid office at Philipp Brothers? How was he described in this position?
3. What was in great demand in Chapter 2? What were the results?
4. How great an empire did Marc Rich build? How is he described by the author in Chapter 1?
5. Describe Ludwig Jesselson. How did he work with clients?
6. Who was Doug Lee? How is he described in Chapter 2?
7. How many metals were openly traded? Where did others come from?
8. What were international trading regulations like in the metal industry during the period in which the book is set?
9. Describe the setting of the metals market as described in Chapter 2 following the rumor.
10. How was Marc Rich described by those who knew him in Chapter 6?
This section contains 844 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)