|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what year did the rumor circulate in Chapter 2?
2. When was Philipp Brothers founded?
3. The author writes in Chapter 5 that Jesselson's tenure at Philipp Brothers was during an era when relationships were forged by trust, not by what?
(b) Corporate lawyers.
4. What term does the author use in Chapter 5 to refer to young traders like Marc Rich who were trained in-house and considered the leaders of tomorrow?
(a) Heavy Metal Men.
(b) Philipp Sons.
5. Marc Rich created an oil market that allowed customers to buy oil without having to do what?
(a) Own oil tankers.
(b) Use bank loans.
(c) Deal directly with the oil companies.
(d) Transport the oil.
6. The scam which drove the rumor in Chapter 2 was intended to raise the prices of what?
(a) Gold and the U.S. dollar.
(b) Silver and gold.
(d) Magnesium and silver.
7. What metal did Marc Rich first begin trading at Philipp Brothers?
8. In what year was the U.S. dollar no longer backed by gold?
9. The trading community admired Rich because he was able to get around many what that stood in the way of many countries and their corporations?
(a) Market crashes.
(b) Reluctant sellers.
(c) Rules and regulations.
(d) Reluctant buyers.
10. Where did Marc Rich attend college?
(a) Yale University.
(b) Harvard University.
(c) New York University.
(d) Princeton University.
11. What product did Marc Rich's father-in-law trade in Chapter 5?
12. Marc Rich's family moved to the U.S. from fear of what?
(a) The Fascist Regime.
(b) World War I.
(c) The Spanish Civil War.
(d) The Nazi Regime.
13. What was the European center for the industrial trading market in the 1980s?
14. After 15 years at the helm, the Philipps brothers' cousin and who were responsible for elevating Philipp Brothers to a powerful international trading force?
(a) Pincus Green.
(b) Siegfried Ullman.
(c) Marc Rich.
(d) Edmond Mantell.
15. What is the name of the Iranian broker with whom Rich fostered a long-term relationship?
(a) Ali Rezai.
(b) Marvin Davis.
(c) Alireza Rezae.
(d) Mohammad Mehdi Rezai.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Philipp Brothers establish a firm it was miraculously able to keep alive during World War I?
2. How many of the forty sought-after metals were traded openly?
3. Traders at Philipp Brothers were trained to move how in their dealings?
4. What happened to the U.S. dollar in trading following the rumor's circulation in Chapter 2?
5. What is the largest city in the German state of Hesse and the fifth-largest city in Germany?
This section contains 422 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)