|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of animal bites Matty during his trip?
2. What does Matty see in a tapestry design Kira creates?
3. What do Kira and Matty decide to do to get past the stench from Forest?
4. Who takes the messages out by the river?
5. What color is the flower Jean puts in the bread she gives Matty?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Leader do to prepare for his journey into Forest and why?
2. Describe the daily meetings between Leader and Seer as Leader watches the progress of Matty of Kira's journey.
3. Describe Kira's gift and the role it played in her decision to go with Matty to her father's home.
4. What is the conversation Kira and Leader have when they meet in "Beyond" for the first time?
5. What is Matty's task with regard to the decision to close Village to outsiders?
6. How does Matty convince Kira that his gift is real and what does he tell her about healing humans?
7. Why is Kira scorned by the people of her village and why is she needed?
8. What is the message Seer asks Matty to give Kira and why is Matty supposed to give Kira a message at all?
9. What does Matty say about the comparison of Frolic's death with that of Branch?
10. What are Matty's first injuries from Forest and what does he know it means?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There are two widows referred to in the story - Stocktender's widow and Gatherer's widow. Why do the two women not have a name of their own? What does this say about the society? What does it say about the people?
Essay Topic 2
Describe Matty's trip through Forest after the vote is taken to close Village. What changes does he note are happening? Compare that to Matty's trip back with Kira.
Essay Topic 3
Leader is responsible for giving people their "true names." What does Matty hope his true name will be? What does he thing Ramon's true name might be? List at least three true names and tell what those names say about the person.
This section contains 840 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)