|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Garrett think about in Chapter 9?
2. What does Garret discover about Theresa while giving her lessons?
3. What does Theresa find in the mail she opens after she stops crying over Garrett's death?
4. What does Theresa find on Garrett's nightstand?
5. While he is with Theresa, beside his father, who else does Garrett tell he will be unavailable for the next few days?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Garrett rethinking his relationship with Theresa after Thanksgiving?
2. What did Garrett do after his first night with Theresa?
3. What does Garrett fail to do the night his father visits him?
4. How does the long distance relationship work for Garrett and Theresa?
5. What are Garrett's feelings after spending another weekend with Theresa?
6. What difference can you see between the conversation during dinner and the one at the beach in Chapter 5?
7. How does the relationship between Theresa and Garrett evolve in Chapter 8?
8. What does Garrett find in Theresa's apartment and how does he react?
9. What is Garrett's fate?
10. Why does Garrett's father visit him in his shop at the start of Chapter 10?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Nicholas Sparks ends the story on an ironic note. In an essay, define the meaning of irony and apply it to the ending. How does Sparks include an ironic twist at the end? How does it affect the story line and the characters? Discuss why Sparks may have chosen to end "Message in a Bottle" in the way he did and what he accomplished with the ending. Use examples from the book to support your statements.
Essay Topic 2
After reading the "Message in a Bottle," look at the structure of the novel to analyze the development of the plot. Does the plot work? Does one complication lead to the next? Is the story arc smooth and include a rising action, climax, and resolution? Are subplots connected to the story distracting? Analyze the structure of the story and its circular structure in your discussion and use examples from the novel to support your discussion.
Essay Topic 3
Theresa introduces Kevin and Garrett when they go to Wilmington to visit for the weekend. Although she prepares her son, she may not have anticipated that Garrett remains plagued by memories of Catherine throughout their courtship and that Catherine was pregnant when she was killed. Does Kevin's relationship with Garrett add to the story or detract from it? Did the fact that Catherine was pregnant affect Garrett's relationship with Kevin? Support your statements with examples and quotes from the text.
This section contains 936 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)