|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Theresa and Garrett argue about at the end of the few days they spend together?
2. When Garrett's father is at Garrett's house and Garrett goes into the kitchen, who is at the door?
3. What does Garrett find when he goes to write Theresa a letter while in her apartment in Boston?
4. What type of conversation did Garrett and Theresa have during their first dinner together?
5. What does the person calling Theresa in Chapter 12 ask her to do?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are Garrett's feelings after spending another weekend with Theresa?
2. What news did Catherine give Garrett shortly before her death?
3. What is the message in Garrett's dream at the end of Chapter 9?
4. What message does the last bottle from Garrett contain?
5. What does Garrett find in Theresa's apartment and how does he react?
6. What happens the last night Theresa is in Wilmington?
7. What are Garrett's feelings at the start of Chapter 10?
8. How is Garrett's first trip to Boston?
9. What difference can you see between the conversation during dinner and the one at the beach in Chapter 5?
10. What lesson ddoes Theresa learn at the end of Chapter 11?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
A prologue can often foreshadow events and their importance to the book and its characters. Take the prologue of "Message in a Bottle" and review the author's introduction to the history of bottles and messages, such as the story of the shipwrecked sailor. Does the prologue add or detract from the story line? Define foreshadowing and give examples from the book to support your statements.
Essay Topic 2
Nicholas Sparks ends the story on an ironic note. In an essay, define the meaning of irony and apply it to the ending. How does Sparks include an ironic twist at the end? How does it affect the story line and the characters? Discuss why Sparks may have chosen to end "Message in a Bottle" in the way he did and what he accomplished with the ending. Use examples from the book to support your statements.
Essay Topic 3
Why doesn't Theresa mention the letters when she first meets Garrett? Do you think their relationship could have evolved if she had? Do you think they would have moved as quickly? Support your discussion and opinions with quotes from the text and feel free to use secondary sources from well known critics.
This section contains 939 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)