|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Deanna treat Theresa?
2. What is obvious about the man and woman in the message found by Theresa?
3. Why is Theresa pleased when she sees a newspaper article featuring Garrett at the bar?
4. Where does Theresa go to try to find Garrett the first time?
5. What is Theresa working on when she receives the phone call the day after the message is published?
Short Essay Questions
1. What surprises await Theresa when she returns to work on Monday following the publication of the message?
2. Why does Theresa want to put everything aside after finding the second message?
3. What is Theresa's plan when she arrives in Wilmington?
4. Why does Deanna try to convince Theresa to find Garrett?
5. How did Catherine die?
6. What clues did Theresa and Deanna find in the message?
7. Why was Theresa in Cape Cod during the summer prior to the beginning of the story?
8. What was Theresa excited about before she read the message in the bottle she first found on the beach?
9. What reasons does Theresa have for finding the man who wrote the messages?
10. How do Garrett and Theresa spend lunch and the afternoon?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In the first letter written by Garrett to Catherine, Garrett discusses his dream about her. Discuss the symbolism that dreams can carry and how the author uses dreams to deepen Garrett's character traits. Define symbolism in the essay and use examples from the text to support your statements.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss why flashbacks are used by Nicholas Sparks in "Message in a Bottle." Give examples of how they are used and to what purpose, as well as why Sparks may have chosen to use flashbacks instead of writing the book so that it started three years prior. Give examples from the book to support your discussion.
Essay Topic 3
Why doesn't Theresa mention the letters when she first meets Garrett? Do you think their relationship could have evolved if she had? Do you think they would have moved as quickly? Support your discussion and opinions with quotes from the text and feel free to use secondary sources from well known critics.
This section contains 972 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)