|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When did Garrett and Catherine meet for the first time?
2. What does the woman claim who calls Theresa the day following the publication of the message?
3. Why does Theresa feel lonely?
4. What does Garrett do when Theresa arrives for their first date?
5. What does Theresa discover upon reading the second message?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Theresa's plan when she arrives in Wilmington?
2. How does Theresa identify Garrett?
3. What was Theresa excited about before she read the message in the bottle she first found on the beach?
4. Why does Theresa want to put everything aside after finding the second message?
5. What is on Garrett's mind while showing Theresa the boat?
6. How did Garrett and Catherine meet?
7. How long does it take for Deanna to convince Theresa to publish the message?
8. Where does the letter come from and who determines the location from which it was sent?
9. Who does Theresa go to after finding the third message and why?
10. What do Garrett and his dad have in common?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Setting can deepen the story line and help deepen your characters' traits. In the novel, "A Message in a Bottle," the sailboat acts as one of the settings in the story and is important to many major scenes in the novel. Define setting in your essay and then discuss how it contributes to the story and the character development. What does the sailboat represent in "Message in a Bottle?" Why does the sailboat's destruction have importance in the novel? Provide a few examples from the story to help support your statements.
Essay Topic 2
Deanna is a character in the novel who acts as Theresa's friend and editor. Does Deanna's desire to protect Theresa affect her positively or negatively? Does Deanna act as an antagonist? Support your statements with examples and quotes from the text.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss why flashbacks are used by Nicholas Sparks in "Message in a Bottle." Give examples of how they are used and to what purpose, as well as why Sparks may have chosen to use flashbacks instead of writing the book so that it started three years prior. Give examples from the book to support your discussion.
This section contains 923 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)