|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When did Garrett and Catherine reconnect after losing touch?
(a) After Garrett returned from a big city.
(b) After Garrett returned from summer vacation.
(c) After he finished college.
(d) They saw each other again, but did not reconnect.
2. What is obvious about the man and woman in the message found by Theresa?
(a) That the woman loved him deeply.
(b) That the man and woman were no longer in love.
(c) That the man loves her deeply.
(d) That neither the man nor woman knew what love meant.
3. After he learns that Theresa has never gone sailing, what does Garrett suggest?
(a) That she go sailing with him on Happenstance that evening.
(b) That she take a boating class.
(c) That she go sailing with him that morning.
(d) That she go sailing with him and Catherine.
4. How long before the event of the book did Garrett's mother pass away?
(a) 20 years ago.
(b) 25 years ago.
(c) 15 years ago.
(d) 19 years ago.
5. What does Theresa discover upon reading the second message?
(a) That it is fabricated.
(b) That it is from the woman.
(c) That it is not the same person.
(d) That it is from the same man.
Short Answer Questions
1. When walking on the beach during his second date with Theresa, what does Garrett ask her about?
2. When did Garrett and Catherine meet for the first time?
3. What do Theresa and Garrett agree to do after sailing for a while on their first date?
4. What newspaper does Theresa Osborne work for as a columnist?
5. What does Theresa plan to do to indulge herself during her week at Cape Cod?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where is Theresa at the start of the book, and why is she there?
2. What were the two main uses of messages in a bottle throughout the years?
3. What reasons does Theresa have for finding the man who wrote the messages?
4. Why does Theresa think publishing the letter is morally wrong?
5. How long does it take for Deanna to convince Theresa to publish the message?
6. What story did the prologue reveal about messages in bottles?
7. How did Catherine die?
8. How do Garrett and Theresa spend lunch and the afternoon?
9. How does Theresa find out about the third message?
10. Why did Theresa divorce David and what happened with him afterward?
This section contains 955 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)