|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where did Garrett and Catherine run into each other upon his return to Wilmington?
(a) Wrightsville Beach.
(b) In Boston.
(c) At the dock.
(d) Cape Cod.
2. What does Deanna believe when they see the piece in the newspaper the next morning?
(a) That it will be a hit with the readers.
(b) That it will make both of them famous.
(c) That the writer of the letter will probably never see it.
(d) That the writer has probably died.
3. What does Theresa discover during her research on messages in bottles?
(a) The third letter was a hoax.
(b) The address of the author.
(c) A third letter written by Garrett.
(d) That the second letter was a hoax.
4. What is Garrett not bothered about while on his second date with Theresa?
(a) Theresa was married before.
(b) Theresa found the messages.
(c) Theresa already has a child.
(d) Theresa asked him to dinner.
5. What surprises Theresa when she returns to the office the Monday following the publication of the message?
(a) A large volume of mail.
(b) The number of newspapers sold that featured the column.
(c) Her co-workers' response over the column.
(d) The number of unsold newspapers.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Theresa write to go along with the message?
2. Upon finding a message similar to the one she found in the bottle, what does Theresa fantasize about?
3. When Theresa is in on the beach in Chapter 1, what does she look over?
4. Where did David, Theresa's ex-husband, move after their divorce?
5. Where is Theresa at the start of the book?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Theresa's plan when she arrives in Wilmington?
2. Why does Theresa think publishing the letter is morally wrong?
3. How do Garrett and Theresa meet the second time?
4. Who does Theresa go to after finding the third message and why?
5. What reasons does Theresa have for finding the man who wrote the messages?
6. What clues did Theresa and Deanna find in the message?
7. How does Theresa make contact with Garrett?
8. Why does Deanna try to convince Theresa to find Garrett?
9. What is Theresa's greatest fear concerning Kevin and David's relationship?
10. How does Theresa identify Garrett?
This section contains 885 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)