|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where is Theresa at the start of the book?
(a) At her apartment.
(c) On a beach.
(d) At work.
2. How are the letters Theresa acquire addressed?
(a) By Garrett.
(b) To Catherine by Garrett.
(c) They do not have a name.
(d) To Catherine.
3. What does Theresa find when she stops to put her shoes back on?
(a) A bottle in the sand.
(b) A lost locket with a picture inside.
(c) A bottle of pop.
(d) A letter in a package.
4. What does Deanna promise if they publish the message?
(a) To remove references to the location and not use names.
(b) To remove references to the location.
(c) To let Theresa approve the layout.
(d) To publish the entire story.
5. In Chapter 1, on a cold December day, where does Theresa Osborne arrive?
(b) Cape Cod.
(d) New York City.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Theresa and Deanna do together with the three messages Theresa found?
2. According to the Prologue, why have messages in bottles been used for hundreds of years?
3. How long before the event of the book did Garrett's mother pass away?
4. What is the nature of the relationship between Theresa and Deanna?
5. How does Theresa get a copy of the letter discussed in the article she found online?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why was Theresa in Cape Cod during the summer prior to the beginning of the story?
2. What advice does Jeb gave Garrett concerning his long grieving?
3. What reasons does Theresa have for finding the man who wrote the messages?
4. Why does Theresa want to write an introduction to the message?
5. Do you think removing information to identify who wrote the letter makes the moral ambiguity disappear?
6. How do Garrett and Theresa spend lunch and the afternoon?
7. How did Catherine die?
8. How long does it take for Deanna to convince Theresa to publish the message?
9. What do Garrett and his dad have in common?
10. What was Theresa excited about before she read the message in the bottle she first found on the beach?
This section contains 972 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)