|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Theresa discover upon reading the second message?
(a) That it is fabricated.
(b) That it is from the same man.
(c) That it is not the same person.
(d) That it is from the woman.
2. Why is Theresa pleased when she sees a newspaper article featuring Garrett at the bar?
(a) Garrett is married.
(b) Garrett is a middle-aged man and too old for her.
(c) Garrett is a young man, in his thirties.
(d) Garret no longer lives in the area.
3. When Theresa and Garrett see each other for their second date, what does Theresa tell him about?
(a) Finding messages.
(c) Her job.
4. Which of the following themes are introduced in Chapter 1 of "Message in a Bottle?"
5. What does Theresa grieve about during in Chapter 1?
(a) The loss of her job and financial security.
(b) The loss of a friend.
(c) The absence of her son.
(d) The loss of love and intimacy in her life.
6. What does Brian admit to at dinner the evening after Theresa finds the message?
(a) To giving the letter to Deanna to publish.
(b) Brian does not admit to anything.
(c) To reading the letter and stating that the beach is in North Carolina.
(d) To being in love with Theresa.
7. In Chapter 1, how long had it been since Theresa and David's separation and divorce?
(a) Theresa and David separated for one year and divorced for two years.
(b) Theresa and David separated for one year and divorced for three years.
(c) Theresa and David separated for two years and divorced for one year.
(d) Theresa and David separated for two years and divorced for three years.
8. Where did Garrett and Catherine run into each other upon his return to Wilmington?
(a) At the dock.
(b) In Boston.
(c) Wrightsville Beach.
(d) Cape Cod.
9. What does Deanna say to convince Theresa to publish the column?
(a) That she would fire Theresa if she didn't let her publish it.
(b) That they could find the person who wrote the message by publishing it.
(c) That women in the country had the right to see how romantic a man could be.
(d) That men in the country had the obligation to see how romantic a man could be.
10. Why is Theresa disappointed when searching for Garrett?
(a) He does not want to speak with her.
(b) He does not seem to be there.
(c) She finds out he moved for the season.
(d) She finds out he passed away.
11. When Theresa returns to the Cape, how long had it been since the events began?
(a) More than two years.
(b) More than a year.
(c) More than a year and a half.
(d) About six months.
12. In the Prologue, what tale does the author introduce about a sailor?
(a) A shipwrecked sailor sent a message in a bottle that turned up at his birthplace a hundred years later.
(b) A shipwrecked sailor sent a message in a bottle to detail his whereabouts, but the bottle was not found.
(c) A shipwrecked sailor sent a message in a bottle that went to another country before being sent to his hometown.
(d) The author does not include any stories about shipwrecked sailors in the prologue.
13. When did Garrett and Catherine meet for the first time?
(b) Early childhood.
14. What changes in David's life after their divorce?
(a) David and Annette fought frequently about Kevin, David's son from his marriage with Theresa.
(b) David and Annette adopted a child together.
(c) David found religion and then lost his wife, Annette, in a car accident.
(d) David found religion and started a new family with his wife, Annette.
15. In Chapter 7, with whom does Garrett have breakfast?
(d) A coworker.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Theresa is in on the beach in Chapter 1, what does she look over?
2. What does Garrett think about while being with Theresa on his boat during their first date?
3. How many children does Deanna have?
4. How does Deanna treat Theresa?
5. What does Theresa offer when she accepts Garrett's proposal on the dock the first time they meet?
This section contains 720 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)