|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In the Prologue, what tale does the author introduce about a sailor?
(a) The author does not include any stories about shipwrecked sailors in the prologue.
(b) A shipwrecked sailor sent a message in a bottle that turned up at his birthplace a hundred years later.
(c) A shipwrecked sailor sent a message in a bottle to detail his whereabouts, but the bottle was not found.
(d) A shipwrecked sailor sent a message in a bottle that went to another country before being sent to his hometown.
2. What does Theresa offer when she accepts Garrett's proposal on the dock the first time they meet?
(a) To interview him about his messages.
(b) To bring wine.
(c) To take him out to eat first.
(d) To bring dinner along.
3. During Theresa's previous trip to the beach, what was Theresa's relationship status?
(a) Recently divorced and having a difficult time finding someone to commit to a single mom with a child.
(b) Happily married.
(c) Recently divorced and engaged.
(d) Unhappily married and having an affair.
4. What is obvious about the man and woman in the message found by Theresa?
(a) That the woman loved him deeply.
(b) That neither the man nor woman knew what love meant.
(c) That the man and woman were no longer in love.
(d) That the man loves her deeply.
5. According to the Prologue, why have messages in bottles been used for hundreds of years?
(a) They help boats find their way home.
(b) To communicate between countries.
(c) To send birth records across the Atlantic.
(d) To track ocean currents and send messages.
6. What does Theresa realize when researching Wrightsville Beach?
(a) That she does not have enough information about the author and should put it aside.
(b) That she should publish it with names to try and find the people in the letters.
(c) That she should not invade the author's privacy.
(d) That she should continue searching by going to Wrightsville Beach in person.
7. Why did Theresa's marriage end?
(a) Theresa was cheating on her husband.
(b) Theresa's husband was cheating on her.
(c) Theresa's husband passed away.
(d) Theresa wanted to move and begin writing for a new newspaper.
8. What does Garrett suggest Theresa do after she asks about the boat?
(a) Take a closer look so he can corner her and ask her what she wants.
(b) Take a closer look at the boat so he can describe it to her.
(c) Walk with him to his dive shop.
(d) Untie the boat from the dock so he can go sailing.
9. What does Deanna believe when they see the piece in the newspaper the next morning?
(a) That it will be a hit with the readers.
(b) That the writer has probably died.
(c) That it will make both of them famous.
(d) That the writer of the letter will probably never see it.
10. What is the nature of the relationship between Theresa and Deanna?
(a) Deanna is Theresa's friend and editor.
(b) Deanna is Theresa's boss.
(c) Deanna is Theresa's relative.
(d) Deanna is Theresa's friend.
11. What do Garrett and Theresa do during dinner on their first date?
(a) They argue about the messages.
(b) They dance together on the boat.
(c) They talk about their own stories.
(d) They do not talk much during dinner.
12. How many days does it take from the time of Theresa's research to the discovery of a third letter?
(a) 7 days.
(b) 3 days.
(c) 4 days.
(d) 2 days.
13. Why does Chapter 1 open with Theresa returning to the beach where she found the message?
(a) To make the reader anxious to find out what happens and to suggest it changes her life.
(b) To make the reader sad over the message.
(c) To make the reader feel lonely.
(d) To make the reader want to know more about Theresa's love life.
14. What does Garrett think about while being with Theresa on his boat during their first date?
(a) His wife dying.
(b) Taking Theresa out on the water was a mistake.
(c) He and his wife having breakfast on the boat.
(d) Him and his wife sailing and having a romantic dinner.
15. How are the letters Theresa acquire addressed?
(a) By Garrett.
(b) They do not have a name.
(c) To Catherine by Garrett.
(d) To Catherine.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Garrett feel pushed to do by his host the day after his first date with Theresa, even though he refuses?
2. When the course is set during their first voyage together, what does Garrett show Theresa?
3. How does Theresa react when Deanna presses her to publish the message?
4. What does Deanna say to convince Theresa to publish the column?
5. How does Deanna treat Theresa?
This section contains 853 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)