|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Theresa discover during her research on messages in bottles?
(a) That the second letter was a hoax.
(b) A third letter written by Garrett.
(c) The third letter was a hoax.
(d) The address of the author.
2. What does Theresa plan to do to indulge herself during her week at Cape Cod?
(a) Work on writing her book.
(b) Spend time at the beach alone, read, and go shopping.
(c) Eat out at restaurants and go to dance clubs.
(d) Spend time reading on the beach.
3. During Theresa's previous trip to the beach, what was Theresa's relationship status?
(a) Happily married.
(b) Recently divorced and having a difficult time finding someone to commit to a single mom with a child.
(c) Unhappily married and having an affair.
(d) Recently divorced and engaged.
4. What does Theresa offer when she accepts Garrett's proposal on the dock the first time they meet?
(a) To bring dinner along.
(b) To take him out to eat first.
(c) To bring wine.
(d) To interview him about his messages.
5. What do Theresa and Garrett agree to do after sailing for a while on their first date?
(a) They drop anchor and sight see.
(b) They drop anchor and have dinner.
(c) They continue sailing.
(d) They go back to the dock.
6. How does Theresa react when Deanna presses her to publish the message?
(a) Theresa agrees to talk about it over dinner.
(b) Theresa becomes reluctant and believes it is morally wrong.
(c) Theresa agrees complacently.
(d) Theresa becomes angered and refuses to speak with Deanna.
7. What does Theresa Osborne struggle to balance in her life?
(a) Marriage, motherhood, and work.
(b) Work and dating.
(c) Dating and motherhood.
(d) Work, motherhood, and dating.
8. What does the woman claim who calls Theresa the day following the publication of the message?
(a) To have a letter written by the same man who wrote the published message.
(b) To have a message written by the woman to the man.
(c) To be upset over the publication of the first message.
(d) To have knowledge of the identification of the man.
9. What does Deanna say to convince Theresa to publish the column?
(a) That she would fire Theresa if she didn't let her publish it.
(b) That men in the country had the obligation to see how romantic a man could be.
(c) That women in the country had the right to see how romantic a man could be.
(d) That they could find the person who wrote the message by publishing it.
10. What is Garrett not bothered about while on his second date with Theresa?
(a) Theresa already has a child.
(b) Theresa was married before.
(c) Theresa found the messages.
(d) Theresa asked him to dinner.
11. What is Garrett's father's name?
12. What does Theresa find when she stops to put her shoes back on?
(a) A bottle in the sand.
(b) A bottle of pop.
(c) A letter in a package.
(d) A lost locket with a picture inside.
13. What does Theresa grieve about during in Chapter 1?
(a) The loss of love and intimacy in her life.
(b) The absence of her son.
(c) The loss of a friend.
(d) The loss of her job and financial security.
14. In Chapter 7, with whom does Garrett have breakfast?
(c) A coworker.
15. What does Garrett suggest Theresa do after she asks about the boat?
(a) Untie the boat from the dock so he can go sailing.
(b) Walk with him to his dive shop.
(c) Take a closer look so he can corner her and ask her what she wants.
(d) Take a closer look at the boat so he can describe it to her.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Garrett puts a message in the bottle, how far does it travel from its original destination?
2. What do Theresa and Deanna do together with the three messages Theresa found?
3. In the Prologue, what tale does the author introduce about a sailor?
4. How many days does it take from the time of Theresa's research to the discovery of a third letter?
5. Where did David, Theresa's ex-husband, move after their divorce?
This section contains 762 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)