Prologue and Chapter 1
• Theresa Osborne is introduced as the main character. She works as a columnist for the Boston Times.
• Theresa discovers it is difficult to find a good man because she is a single mom.
• The author introduces the history of messages in bottles, including the story of a shipwrecked sailor who sent a message which showed up 100 years later in his village.
• A bottle ends up near Chatham, 26 days and 738 miles from its destination.
• Theresa arrives in Cape Cod in December.
• Theresa reads over three letters and reflects on the recent events.
• Theresa's marriage to David ended four years before when she discovered her husband's affair.
• David has since remarried, found religion, and had a second child.
• Theresa feels lonely.
• Theresa decides to spend time alone, read, and go shopping while her son is on vacation.
• Theresa finds a message in a bottle.
• The letter is...
This section contains 1,347 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)