|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who has Truman married?
2. What does Truman tell Meridian that makes her hit him?
3. What task does Meridian do at the Civil Rights office?
4. What does the government eventually do with Meridian's father's farm?
5. Who was Fast Mary of the Tower?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Meridian meet Truman?
2. What does Lynne's old house in the South symbolize for her?
3. Describe the setting of "Free at Last."
4. What is life like for Truman and Lynne in the South?
5. How does Meridian see herself in the young girl in prison and how does that help Meridian?
6. Why does Tommy Odds zero in on Lynne as a target for his anger?
7. What is Meridian's life like every day when she is seventeen with a baby?
8. Why do the girls not see that cutting down The Sojourner is a self destructive act?
9. What is the symbolism of the new branch growing from The Sojourner?
10. What is the premise of MERIDIAN?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Project into the future ten years and write a brief synopsis for the lives of Meridian, Truman and Lynne. Be sure to include emotional states as well as physical characteristics, geographic locations, work, socialization, and any other key attributes.
Essay Topic 2
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of injustice. Identify at least two examples about injustice in the book. Then explain how each example supports the theme of injustice.
Essay Topic 3
Create a brief character study of Lynne. What does she look like? What are her positive personality traits? What are some of her negative characteristics? What are her hopes and fears? What motivates her, if anything, at this point in her life?
This section contains 1,059 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)