|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The Civil Rights workers go on a protest march against segregated ________________.
2. What does Truman tell Meridian that makes her hit him?
3. What did Meridian bury underneath a tree when she was seven?
4. Where does Meridian visit her father in "Indians and Ecstasy?"
5. Who does Meridian date while at Saxon?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Anne-Marion different from Meridian?
2. What is the meaning of Meridian's burying the gold under a magnolia tree as a child?
3. What does Lynne tell Meridian about her past experiences with black men and how they have impacted her life?
4. What role does the church play in the Civil Rights movement?
5. How is the premise of Saxon College in stark contrast to the world Meridian knows?
6. How does Meridian try to affect change without resorting to violence?
7. What is the nature of Truman and Lynne's relationship at the end of the book?
8. What is the premise of MERIDIAN?
9. What is the sad story of the young girl in prison for killing her baby?
10. What is Meridian's life like every day when she is seventeen with a baby?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
MERIDIAN is sometimes defined as being written in the historical fiction style. What does that classification entail? Why does this novel fit into this category? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Project into the future ten years and write a brief synopsis for the lives of Meridian, Truman and Lynne. Be sure to include emotional states as well as physical characteristics, geographic locations, work, socialization, and any other key attributes.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast Meridian and Lynne. Why is Truman attracted to both women? Why did he choose Lynne to become his wife? What qualities about Lynne are undesirable for him?
This section contains 1,054 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)