|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why do the girls at the college riot?
2. Meridian's mother's demeanor can be characterized as ____________.
3. During what decade does the story take place?
4. Who has Truman married?
5. Where does Meridian visit her father in "Indians and Ecstasy?"
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Meridian's parents differ in their views of injustice?
2. Explain how Lynne's guilt rules her life.
3. Why does Mrs. Hill think that having children has ruined her life?
4. What is the story of The Sojourner magnolia tree?
5. What is Meridian's goal in tending to both Lynne and Truman after the death of their daughter?
6. How does Meridian's spirituality differ from her mother's religion?
7. What is ironic about what the government does with Mr. Hill's farm?
8. What is the sad story of the young girl in prison for killing her baby?
9. How is the premise of Saxon College in stark contrast to the world Meridian knows?
10. What is Meridian's life like every day when she is seventeen with a baby?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Create a brief character study of Meridian Hill. What does she look like? What are her positive personality traits? What are some of her negative characteristics? What are her hopes and fears? What motivates her, if anything, at this point in her life?
Essay Topic 2
The author uses some important instances of foreshadowing in the story. Explain what foreshadowing is and cite at least two examples making sure to explain what makes each an example of foreshadowing.
Essay Topic 3
Explain Walker's use of regionalism in the book. Cite examples of at least two different instances of regionalism and explain why the author used them where she did.
This section contains 996 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)