|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Meridian bury underneath a tree when she was seven?
2. What did Meridian's mother consider her children to be?
3. From what state do three Civil Rights workers disappear?
4. What do Truman and Lynne do in the evenings?
5. Meridian has a spell of _______________.
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Meridian meet Truman?
2. What is ironic about what the government does with Mr. Hill's farm?
3. What is the NOTC?
4. What is the symbolism of the new branch growing from The Sojourner?
5. How does Meridian try to affect change without resorting to violence?
6. Describe Meridian's mother.
7. What is the nature of Truman and Lynne's relationship at the end of the book?
8. What is the sad story of the young girl in prison for killing her baby?
9. How is Anne-Marion different from Meridian?
10. How is Meridian different from her mother?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain Walker's use of regionalism in the book. Cite examples of at least two different instances of regionalism and explain why the author used them where she did.
Essay Topic 2
The author uses more than one theme in the novel. Identify at least two themes in the story and then cite an example to support each theme.
Essay Topic 3
The author uses some important instances of foreshadowing in the story. Explain what foreshadowing is and cite at least two examples making sure to explain what makes each an example of foreshadowing.
This section contains 833 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)