|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Truman's daughter's name?
2. What did Anne-Marion do to make the Dean of Women so angry?
3. What did George Daxter give Meridian in exchange for sexual favors?
4. Who is Anne-Marion?
5. Meridian's mother's demeanor can be characterized as ____________.
Short Essay Questions
1. How is the premise of Saxon College in stark contrast to the world Meridian knows?
2. What is life like for Truman and Lynne in the South?
3. What is Lynne's view of black people?
4. What is the irony of Lynne's character regarding being oppressed?
5. What is the symbolism of the new branch growing from The Sojourner?
6. Describe the setting of "Free at Last."
7. What does Truman learn about where Meridian is living and her illness?
8. Describe how Meridian's inner turmoil begins to exhibit physically. What is the significance of Meridian's illness?
9. What vow did Meridian not know if she could keep as part of a revolutionary group in college?
10. What is the NOTC?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast Meridian and Lynne. Why is Truman attracted to both women? Why did he choose Lynne to become his wife? What qualities about Lynne are undesirable for him?
Essay Topic 2
Project into the future ten years and write a brief synopsis for the lives of Meridian, Truman and Lynne. Be sure to include emotional states as well as physical characteristics, geographic locations, work, socialization, and any other key attributes.
Essay Topic 3
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of injustice. Identify at least two examples about injustice in the book. Then explain how each example supports the theme of injustice.
This section contains 979 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)