|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Anne-Marion?
(a) Meridian's daughter.
(b) Meridian's sister.
(c) Meridian's neighbor.
(d) Meridian's college roommate.
2. What has a traveling circus brought to town?
(a) A two-headed duck.
(b) The world's fattest woman.
(c) A mummy.
(d) The world's tallest man.
3. Who is Tommy Odds?
(a) A Civil Rights worker.
(b) A mechanic.
(c) A professor.
(d) A televangelist.
4. What is the name of a huge magnolia tree at the college?
(a) The Sojourner.
(b) The Gatekeeper.
(c) Mother's Tears.
5. What is the only thing Truman finds in Meridian's house?
(b) Coffee pot.
(c) Sleeping bag.
(d) Ironing board.
Short Answer Questions
1. Meridian's mother says that only _____________ wouldn't want her own baby.
2. Why does Meridian feel guilty about giving her baby away?
3. What are Anne-Marion's religious beliefs?
4. What happens to Meridian's baby?
5. From what state do three Civil Rights workers disappear?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the meaning of Meridian's burying the gold under a magnolia tree as a child?
2. How does Meridian try to affect change without resorting to violence?
3. How does Meridian's work in the civil rights office begin to open up her world?
4. What does Lynne's old house in the South symbolize for her?
5. Why does Truman go to Meridian while still being married to Lynne?
6. What is Lynne's view of black people?
7. How does Meridian's spirituality differ from her mother's religion?
8. What is the symbolism of the new branch growing from The Sojourner?
9. How does Meridian see herself in the young girl in prison and how does that help Meridian?
10. Why is the death of Lynne and Truman's daughter unfortunately a natural extension of their "unnatural" marriage?
This section contains 952 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)