|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is notable about Meridian's mother's preacher's voice?
(a) It is melodious.
(b) It is booming.
(c) It is unintelligible.
(d) It is soothing.
2. What was Meridian's father's profession?
(b) Bus driver.
3. Who is Anne-Marion?
(a) Meridian's college roommate.
(b) Meridian's sister.
(c) Meridian's neighbor.
(d) Meridian's daughter.
4. What has a traveling circus brought to town?
(a) The world's fattest woman.
(b) The world's tallest man.
(c) A mummy.
(d) A two-headed duck.
5. What did Anne-Marion do to make the Dean of Women so angry?
(a) She led a strike of cafeteria workers.
(b) She smoked in the classroom.
(c) She cut off her hair.
(d) She had a boy in her dorm room.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is stuck on the walls of Meridian's house?
2. What are Anne-Marion's religious beliefs?
3. What did George Daxter give Meridian in exchange for sexual favors?
4. Why does Meridian feel guilty about giving her baby away?
5. Meridian has a spell of _______________.
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Truman go to Meridian while still being married to Lynne?
2. What is Meridian's goal in tending to both Lynne and Truman after the death of their daughter?
3. Why do the girls not see that cutting down The Sojourner is a self destructive act?
4. How does Meridian's work in the civil rights office begin to open up her world?
5. Whose funeral is held in "Free at Last" and why is it viewed from the perspective of poor, black people?
6. How is the premise of Saxon College in stark contrast to the world Meridian knows?
7. What is the irony of Lynne's character regarding being oppressed?
8. What is the meaning of Meridian's burying the gold under a magnolia tree as a child?
9. What is the story of The Sojourner magnolia tree?
10. How does Meridian's spirituality differ from her mother's religion?
This section contains 1,037 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)