|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Cam find out that his mother did before he was born?
2. Before leaving the graveside, what does Jamie whisper into Maggie's coffin?
3. What type of client was Jamie creating a program for?
4. What does Cam ask Mia after they are officially introduced in his kitchen?
5. How many waking hours had Allie read that a husband and wife spend together each day?
Short Essay Questions
1. In the opening of the novel, what does the woman do after her husband comes home to a house that has been emptied of his possessions?
2. What does Jamie remember about the night Maggie asked him to kill her?
3. After she has sold everything and is waiting for her husband to come home, what does the woman remember reading about?
4. Why does Angus McDonald leave Scotland and move to Wheelock?
5. What does Allie offer to do while Jamie goes into the police station with Cam after he confesses to murder?
6. What kind of wife is Allie to Cam?
7. What does Allie learn about Maggie's condition from her doctor?
8. Why did Ellen McDonald embrace New Age ideas after her husband's death eight years ago?
9. Why does Allie envy Maggie?
10. What is Mia's strongest childhood memory?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the character of Mia and what she symbolizes in the novel in general and/or to different characters.
Essay Topic 2
Choose one of the following quotes used at the beginning of the novel to discuss the plot and themes of Mercy as they are illuminated through the quote:
1. "Who will not mercy unto others show,/How can he mercy ever hope to have?" -Edmund Spenser, The Fairie Queene
2. "A man gazing on the stars is proverbially/at the mercy of the puddles on the road." -Alexander Smith, Men of Letters
Essay Topic 3
How does the novel explore the meaning of not only the word mercy, but love and loyalty, as well?
This section contains 730 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)