|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mia ask for in her note to Cam?
2. Cam is the direct descendant of the heroic chief and now holds the honorary title of chief of the ________.
3. What time of year is it as the story begins?
4. How old was Cam's mother when she got married?
5. Why was Mia lonely during her childhood?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is euthanasia not a good defense for Jamie's trial?
2. What does Angus tell Cam when Cam asks if he could stay in Carrymuir while Angus goes back to Wheelock and becomes clan chief?
3. What in particular concerns Allie about her relationship with Cam?
4. How does Ellen burn herself when she and Allie are trying out their healing potion?
5. What does Allie learn about Maggie's condition from her doctor?
6. Why does Cam have more influence in Wheelock than a typical police chief?
7. What does Mia tell Cam as they are cleaning up the pictures she spilled in the bedroom?
8. What does Cam think Mia smells like?
9. What reaction does Cam have to Mia the first time he sees her in Allie's shop?
10. What surprising information does Cam learn from the private detective?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss how the theme of love was used in Mercy not just as romantic love, but love of country and duty to family.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss how Jamie's confession introduces the theme of euthanasia into the story. Does the term "good death" apply to how Jamie killed Maggie? What about the scratches on Jamie's arms?
Essay Topic 3
How does the novel explore the meaning of not only the word mercy, but love and loyalty, as well?
This section contains 604 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)