|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many waking hours had Allie read that a husband and wife spend together each day?
2. What does Cam have when he shows up at the flower shop when Mia has an unexpected visitor?
3. What does Cam find out that his mother did before he was born?
4. Who does Allie visit first in Jamie's hometown?
5. What does Jamie do at Maggie's graveside?
Short Essay Questions
1. What reaction does Cam have to Mia the first time he sees her in Allie's shop?
2. What does the reader sense about Cam's feelings for Mia after they are introduced in his kitchen?
3. Why does Angus McDonald leave Scotland and move to Wheelock?
4. What is significant about the first picnic Allie and Cam had together?
5. What is significant about the newspaper article Cam reads while he is waiting for Mia to bring dinner back to the flower shop one night?
6. How did the Clan McDonald end up settling in Wheelock, Massachusetts?
7. What does Mia contemplate doing as she looks through Cam and Allie's medicine cabinet?
8. What important information does Maggie's best friend tell Allie?
9. Why does Graham's excitement about Jamie's case diminish after he talks to Jamie?
10. What in particular concerns Allie about her relationship with Cam?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does the novel explore the meaning of not only the word mercy, but love and loyalty, as well?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss what Jamie does for a living and how Picoult used his work to illuminate both characters and themes. How does his work impact what happens between Jamie and Maggie?
Essay Topic 3
What role does betrayal play in the novel Mercy?
This section contains 818 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)