|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Nerissa plan to get from her husband before returning home with Portia?
2. Who announces to Lorenzo that Bassanio is expected home soon?
3. How much money did Jessica spend in one night?
4. Who takes the disguised Nerissa to Shylock's house to collect his deed?
5. Which casket does Bassanio choose?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does a servant describe the young Venetian suitor who arrives to woo Portia?
2. Why is Shylock denied the money that Antonio first offered him in lieu of the pound of flesh?
3. What does Nerissa plan to get from her husband before returning to Belmont with Portia?
4. What does Portia offer to do when they hear of Antonio's misfortune, and what does Jessica say about this plan?
5. What does Lorenzo praise Portia for after Bassanio leaves for Venice and how does Portia respond?
6. Why is Antonio so certain that the Duke will uphold the contract between him and Shylock?
7. Why are Salarino and Solanio so worried about Antonio when Shylock realizes his daughter has run away?
8. What cheers Shylock while he is so upset about his daughter running away with a Christian?
9. What does Portia tell Nerissa after they leave Belmont?
10. What announcement does Gratiano make after Bassanio chooses the correct casket?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the term of a "pound of flesh" and what significance it plays in this story-line. Where does it appear, and which characters are most affected by it?
Essay Topic 2
Valor was a theme of this play that is very important to many of the characters involved. Where does this theme of valor present itself and how do these occurrences affect the characters involved in those scenes?
Essay Topic 3
Mercy and justice are two themes that play a huge role in this play. Where are these themes present and which characters are most affected by them?
This section contains 730 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)