|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Antonio sad when Shylock has realized his daughter is gone?
2. What does Portia plan to do with what she got from her husband while in Venice?
3. What does Antonio receive after Shylock is accused of threatening his life?
4. What does Nerissa plan to get from her husband before returning home with Portia?
5. Where have some of Antonio's ships sunk?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Antonio try to smooth things over when Portia hears that Bassanio gave his ring away?
2. What does Portia tell Nerissa after they leave Belmont?
3. Why are Salarino and Solanio so worried about Antonio when Shylock realizes his daughter has run away?
4. What does Lorenzo praise Portia for after Bassanio leaves for Venice and how does Portia respond?
5. What is found in the silver casket and how does the Prince respond to this?
6. Who is Shylock forced to deed his property to, and why is Portia so happy about this?
7. What does Portia do when she finds out Bassanio gave his ring away, and how does Bassanio react to this?
8. What does Nerissa plan to get from her husband before returning to Belmont with Portia?
9. What announcement does Gratiano make after Bassanio chooses the correct casket?
10. What cheers Shylock while he is so upset about his daughter running away with a Christian?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Friendship is a strong theme throughout the play. Where are some places that this theme appears, and how do the characters touched by it react? How do certain friendships change over the course of the play, and what causes these changes?
Essay Topic 2
Nerissa is a minor character whose presence makes a big difference in the plot. How does she accomplish this? What are some ways that her presence, however brief, alters the outcome of the plot? What would have happened differently if Nerissa had not been in the play at all?
Essay Topic 3
Power and greed are two common themes in this play. Where do they appear and how do they differ in their manifestations?
This section contains 802 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)