|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Portia leave in charge of her house when she leaves?
2. Who does Shylock petition for help when he sees that his daughter is gone?
3. What does Lorenzo praise Portia for after Bassanio leaves Belmont?
4. What does the letter that Portia gives to Antonio say?
5. What does the Duke tell Shylock he expects Shylock to do?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Portia tell Nerissa after they leave Belmont?
2. What does Lorenzo ask Jessica about Portia, and how does she respond?
3. What does Portia do when she finds out Bassanio gave his ring away, and how does Bassanio react to this?
4. What does Lorenzo praise Portia for after Bassanio leaves for Venice and how does Portia respond?
5. How does Antonio try to smooth things over when Portia hears that Bassanio gave his ring away?
6. Why are Salarino and Solanio so worried about Antonio when Shylock realizes his daughter has run away?
7. What cheers Shylock while he is so upset about his daughter running away with a Christian?
8. Where does Shylock want to search for his daughter, and why is he not able to?
9. Why is Shylock denied the money that Antonio first offered him in lieu of the pound of flesh?
10. How does a servant describe the young Venetian suitor who arrives to woo Portia?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Nerissa is a minor character whose presence makes a big difference in the plot. How does she accomplish this? What are some ways that her presence, however brief, alters the outcome of the plot? What would have happened differently if Nerissa had not been in the play at all?
Essay Topic 2
Portia and Nerissa both have similar relationships with their husbands, but there are some notable differences. Please compare and contrast these relationships and explain how they affected the other characters around them.
Essay Topic 3
Antonio endures many different trials before the end of the play. What are some of these trials and what lessons does he learn through these experiences?
This section contains 813 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)