|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How much money did Jessica spend in one night?
2. Who takes the disguised Nerissa to Shylock's house to collect his deed?
3. What does Shylock say will happen to Jessica due to her betrayal?
4. What does Jessica say about Portia when Lorenzo asks her what she thinks of Portia?
5. What does Nerissa plan to get from her husband before returning home with Portia?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where does Shylock want to search for his daughter, and why is he not able to?
2. What does Lorenzo praise Portia for after Bassanio leaves for Venice and how does Portia respond?
3. What does Portia offer to do when they hear of Antonio's misfortune, and what does Jessica say about this plan?
4. What does Shylock refuse to allow in the courtroom as Antonio gives his pound of flesh, and why?
5. Why is Antonio so certain that the Duke will uphold the contract between him and Shylock?
6. What cheers Shylock while he is so upset about his daughter running away with a Christian?
7. Who is Shylock forced to deed his property to, and why is Portia so happy about this?
8. What does Nerissa plan to get from her husband before returning to Belmont with Portia?
9. What does Portia do when she finds out Bassanio gave his ring away, and how does Bassanio react to this?
10. Why is Shylock denied the money that Antonio first offered him in lieu of the pound of flesh?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There are many different symbols present in this play. What are these symbols and how does their presence alter the course of the plot?
Essay Topic 2
How were the roles of women different in the time of this play than they are now, and how does the theme of gender roles present itself in the text?
Essay Topic 3
Portia and Nerissa both have similar relationships with their husbands, but there are some notable differences. Please compare and contrast these relationships and explain how they affected the other characters around them.
This section contains 776 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)