|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Shylock want to search for his missing daughter?
2. Why is Shylock not able to search where he wants to for his missing daughter?
3. Why does the second suitor choose to forgo the gold casket?
4. What does Lorenzo praise Portia for after Bassanio leaves Belmont?
5. What does Portia make Lorenzo and Jessica promise when she returns from Venice?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Shylock refuse to allow in the courtroom as Antonio gives his pound of flesh, and why?
2. What is found in the silver casket and how does the Prince respond to this?
3. Where does Shylock want to search for his daughter, and why is he not able to?
4. How does Antonio try to smooth things over when Portia hears that Bassanio gave his ring away?
5. What does Portia do when she finds out Bassanio gave his ring away, and how does Bassanio react to this?
6. Why are Salarino and Solanio so worried about Antonio when Shylock realizes his daughter has run away?
7. Why is Antonio so certain that the Duke will uphold the contract between him and Shylock?
8. Why is Shylock denied the money that Antonio first offered him in lieu of the pound of flesh?
9. What does Portia offer to do when they hear of Antonio's misfortune, and what does Jessica say about this plan?
10. What does Shylock hope will happen before Antonio is made to pay his pound of flesh?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How were the roles of women different in the time of this play than they are now, and how does the theme of gender roles present itself in the text?
Essay Topic 2
Explain the term of a "pound of flesh" and what significance it plays in this story-line. Where does it appear, and which characters are most affected by it?
Essay Topic 3
Antonio endures many different trials before the end of the play. What are some of these trials and what lessons does he learn through these experiences?
This section contains 796 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)