|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who do Jessica and Lorenzo pretend to be while they are left alone at Portia's house?
2. Why is Antonio sad when Shylock has realized his daughter is gone?
3. Why is Shylock not able to search where he wants to for his missing daughter?
4. Which casket does Bassanio choose?
5. Why does Solanio say the duke will not uphold the law?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does a servant describe the young Venetian suitor who arrives to woo Portia?
2. What does Shylock hope will happen before Antonio is made to pay his pound of flesh?
3. Why is Shylock denied the money that Antonio first offered him in lieu of the pound of flesh?
4. What does Shylock refuse to allow in the courtroom as Antonio gives his pound of flesh, and why?
5. What does Portia offer to do when they hear of Antonio's misfortune, and what does Jessica say about this plan?
6. Why is Antonio so certain that the Duke will uphold the contract between him and Shylock?
7. What is found in the silver casket and how does the Prince respond to this?
8. What does Shylock tell Solanio and Salarino he will do with the pound of flesh he gets from Antonio, and why?
9. What announcement does Gratiano make after Bassanio chooses the correct casket?
10. What does Portia do when she finds out Bassanio gave his ring away, and how does Bassanio react to this?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Love is a theme that is displayed by a few different relationships. Choose two of these relationships and compare and contrast these relationships with each other.
Essay Topic 2
How were the roles of women different in the time of this play than they are now, and how does the theme of gender roles present itself in the text?
Essay Topic 3
Security and safety were two themes that are touched on a number of times throughout the course of this play. What are some of these instances, and how do they affect the characters in these scenes?
This section contains 764 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)