|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the young lawyer who has come to Venice to help the Duke make a ruling on the case?
2. Who does Portia leave in charge of her house when she leaves?
3. What does Shylock accuse Solanio and Salarino of?
4. What does Shylock say will happen if the duke does not uphold the contract between Shylock and Antonio?
5. What did Jessica do with her mother's ring?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Shylock hope will happen before Antonio is made to pay his pound of flesh?
2. What does Shylock refuse to allow in the courtroom as Antonio gives his pound of flesh, and why?
3. What does Shylock tell Solanio and Salarino he will do with the pound of flesh he gets from Antonio, and why?
4. Why is Antonio so certain that the Duke will uphold the contract between him and Shylock?
5. What does Portia tell Nerissa after they leave Belmont?
6. Why is Shylock denied the money that Antonio first offered him in lieu of the pound of flesh?
7. What cheers Shylock while he is so upset about his daughter running away with a Christian?
8. What announcement does Gratiano make after Bassanio chooses the correct casket?
9. What does Portia do when she finds out Bassanio gave his ring away, and how does Bassanio react to this?
10. Where does Shylock want to search for his daughter, and why is he not able to?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Power and greed are two common themes in this play. Where do they appear and how do they differ in their manifestations?
Essay Topic 2
Which character do you relate with the most in this play? Why is this? How does this character change throughout the play?
Essay Topic 3
Antonio endures many different trials before the end of the play. What are some of these trials and what lessons does he learn through these experiences?
This section contains 746 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)