|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is found inside the casket chosen by the second suitor to Portia while Bassanio is sailing there?
2. What does Portia offer to give to satisfy Antonio's debt to Shylock?
3. What does Portia make Lorenzo and Jessica promise when she returns from Venice?
4. What does Lorenzo scold Launcelot for while Portia is away from her house?
5. What did Jessica do with her mother's ring?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does a servant describe the young Venetian suitor who arrives to woo Portia?
2. What does Portia do when she finds out Bassanio gave his ring away, and how does Bassanio react to this?
3. Why are Salarino and Solanio so worried about Antonio when Shylock realizes his daughter has run away?
4. What does Shylock tell Solanio and Salarino he will do with the pound of flesh he gets from Antonio, and why?
5. What does Nerissa plan to get from her husband before returning to Belmont with Portia?
6. How does Antonio try to smooth things over when Portia hears that Bassanio gave his ring away?
7. What does Shylock hope will happen before Antonio is made to pay his pound of flesh?
8. Why is Antonio so certain that the Duke will uphold the contract between him and Shylock?
9. What does Shylock refuse to allow in the courtroom as Antonio gives his pound of flesh, and why?
10. What cheers Shylock while he is so upset about his daughter running away with a Christian?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Sacrifice is a theme that was very prevalent in this play. Who are the characters most affected by this theme, and how do they allow sacrifice to change their lives?
Essay Topic 2
The characters in this play all had their own goals and motivations. Select four characters and write about their main motivations and how this goal affects the characters around them.
Essay Topic 3
Antonio endures many different trials before the end of the play. What are some of these trials and what lessons does he learn through these experiences?
This section contains 825 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)