|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which casket does Bassanio choose?
2. What does Antonio think Shylock hates him for while he is in prison?
3. Where have some of Antonio's ships sunk?
4. What does Portia request while Bassanio is choosing his casket?
5. Where is the second guest at Belmont from while Bassanio is sailing there?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Portia tell Nerissa after they leave Belmont?
2. What is found in the silver casket and how does the Prince respond to this?
3. Where does Shylock want to search for his daughter, and why is he not able to?
4. What does Shylock refuse to allow in the courtroom as Antonio gives his pound of flesh, and why?
5. What does Nerissa plan to get from her husband before returning to Belmont with Portia?
6. What does Shylock hope will happen before Antonio is made to pay his pound of flesh?
7. What does Shylock tell Solanio and Salarino he will do with the pound of flesh he gets from Antonio, and why?
8. How does a servant describe the young Venetian suitor who arrives to woo Portia?
9. Why is Shylock denied the money that Antonio first offered him in lieu of the pound of flesh?
10. Who is Shylock forced to deed his property to, and why is Portia so happy about this?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the term of a "pound of flesh" and what significance it plays in this story-line. Where does it appear, and which characters are most affected by it?
Essay Topic 2
Portia and Nerissa both have similar relationships with their husbands, but there are some notable differences. Please compare and contrast these relationships and explain how they affected the other characters around them.
Essay Topic 3
There are many different symbols present in this play. What are these symbols and how does their presence alter the course of the plot?
This section contains 734 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)