|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Shylock want to search for his missing daughter?
2. What does Nerissa plan to get from her husband before returning home with Portia?
3. What does Launcelot tell Jessica he is worried about her for?
4. Why does the second suitor choose to forgo the gold casket?
5. Who does Shylock say has never had sympathy for him?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Launcelot so worried about Jessica, and what does he think her only hope is?
2. What announcement does Gratiano make after Bassanio chooses the correct casket?
3. What does Shylock hope will happen before Antonio is made to pay his pound of flesh?
4. Why is Antonio so certain that the Duke will uphold the contract between him and Shylock?
5. Who is Shylock forced to deed his property to, and why is Portia so happy about this?
6. How does Antonio try to smooth things over when Portia hears that Bassanio gave his ring away?
7. Why is Shylock denied the money that Antonio first offered him in lieu of the pound of flesh?
8. What does Portia tell Nerissa after they leave Belmont?
9. What does Lorenzo praise Portia for after Bassanio leaves for Venice and how does Portia respond?
10. What does Portia offer to do when they hear of Antonio's misfortune, and what does Jessica say about this plan?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Valor was a theme of this play that is very important to many of the characters involved. Where does this theme of valor present itself and how do these occurrences affect the characters involved in those scenes?
Essay Topic 2
How were the roles of women different in the time of this play than they are now, and how does the theme of gender roles present itself in the text?
Essay Topic 3
How is the theme of diversity shown in this play, and which characters are most affected by this?
This section contains 757 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)