|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Bassanio introduce Portia to when he returns to Belmont from Venice?
2. Where have some of Antonio's ships sunk?
3. What is Nerissa disguised as while she is in Venice with Portia?
4. Why is Shylock not able to search where he wants to for his missing daughter?
5. What is found inside the casket chosen by the second suitor to Portia while Bassanio is sailing there?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does a servant describe the young Venetian suitor who arrives to woo Portia?
2. Why are Salarino and Solanio so worried about Antonio when Shylock realizes his daughter has run away?
3. Where does Shylock want to search for his daughter, and why is he not able to?
4. Why is Shylock denied the money that Antonio first offered him in lieu of the pound of flesh?
5. What does Shylock hope will happen before Antonio is made to pay his pound of flesh?
6. Why is Launcelot so worried about Jessica, and what does he think her only hope is?
7. What does Portia do when she finds out Bassanio gave his ring away, and how does Bassanio react to this?
8. What does Shylock tell Solanio and Salarino he will do with the pound of flesh he gets from Antonio, and why?
9. What does Lorenzo praise Portia for after Bassanio leaves for Venice and how does Portia respond?
10. What does Shylock refuse to allow in the courtroom as Antonio gives his pound of flesh, and why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Which character do you relate with the most in this play? Why is this? How does this character change throughout the play?
Essay Topic 2
This play takes place in a few different settings. Describe some of these settings and how they affect the course of the plot. Why might Shakespeare have chosen these particular places?
Essay Topic 3
There are many different symbols present in this play. What are these symbols and how does their presence alter the course of the plot?
This section contains 779 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)