|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Portia offer to give to satisfy Antonio's debt to Shylock?
2. Who is dressed up as the young lawyer frm Padua?
3. What is the title of the second guest at Belmont while Bassanio is sailing there?
4. What does Jessica say about Portia when Lorenzo asks her what she thinks of Portia?
5. Why does Solanio say the duke will not uphold the law?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where does Shylock want to search for his daughter, and why is he not able to?
2. What does Shylock tell Solanio and Salarino he will do with the pound of flesh he gets from Antonio, and why?
3. Why are Salarino and Solanio so worried about Antonio when Shylock realizes his daughter has run away?
4. What does Shylock refuse to allow in the courtroom as Antonio gives his pound of flesh, and why?
5. What does Lorenzo praise Portia for after Bassanio leaves for Venice and how does Portia respond?
6. Why is Antonio so certain that the Duke will uphold the contract between him and Shylock?
7. What announcement does Gratiano make after Bassanio chooses the correct casket?
8. Who is Shylock forced to deed his property to, and why is Portia so happy about this?
9. What does Shylock hope will happen before Antonio is made to pay his pound of flesh?
10. What does Nerissa plan to get from her husband before returning to Belmont with Portia?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Which character do you relate with the most in this play? Why is this? How does this character change throughout the play?
Essay Topic 2
Mercy and justice are two themes that play a huge role in this play. Where are these themes present and which characters are most affected by them?
Essay Topic 3
How is the theme of diversity shown in this play, and which characters are most affected by this?
This section contains 719 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)