|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Portia threaten to do when she hears Bassanio has given away his ring?
2. How does Shylock plan to use the pound of flesh he will get from Antonio?
3. Who does Antonio plead for mercy from?
4. Where does Portia's cousin live?
5. Why does Solanio say the duke will not uphold the law?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Launcelot so worried about Jessica, and what does he think her only hope is?
2. How does a servant describe the young Venetian suitor who arrives to woo Portia?
3. Why is Antonio so certain that the Duke will uphold the contract between him and Shylock?
4. Where does Shylock want to search for his daughter, and why is he not able to?
5. What does Shylock hope will happen before Antonio is made to pay his pound of flesh?
6. What cheers Shylock while he is so upset about his daughter running away with a Christian?
7. Why are Salarino and Solanio so worried about Antonio when Shylock realizes his daughter has run away?
8. What does Portia tell Nerissa after they leave Belmont?
9. What is found in the silver casket and how does the Prince respond to this?
10. What does Lorenzo praise Portia for after Bassanio leaves for Venice and how does Portia respond?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does the relationship between Portia and Bassanio change throughout the course of the play and how do these changes affect the characters around them?
Essay Topic 2
Power and greed are two common themes in this play. Where do they appear and how do they differ in their manifestations?
Essay Topic 3
Explain the term of a "pound of flesh" and what significance it plays in this story-line. Where does it appear, and which characters are most affected by it?
This section contains 692 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)