|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the letter that Portia gives to Antonio say?
2. How does the second suitor to Portia treat her while Bassanio is sailing there?
3. Who is Shylock forced to deed his house to?
4. Why is Antonio sad when Shylock has realized his daughter is gone?
5. Who do Jessica and Lorenzo pretend to be while they are left alone at Portia's house?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Shylock forced to deed his property to, and why is Portia so happy about this?
2. What does Lorenzo ask Jessica about Portia, and how does she respond?
3. What does Shylock tell Solanio and Salarino he will do with the pound of flesh he gets from Antonio, and why?
4. What does Portia offer to do when they hear of Antonio's misfortune, and what does Jessica say about this plan?
5. Why is Antonio so certain that the Duke will uphold the contract between him and Shylock?
6. What cheers Shylock while he is so upset about his daughter running away with a Christian?
7. Why are Salarino and Solanio so worried about Antonio when Shylock realizes his daughter has run away?
8. Why is Launcelot so worried about Jessica, and what does he think her only hope is?
9. What does Shylock hope will happen before Antonio is made to pay his pound of flesh?
10. What does Nerissa plan to get from her husband before returning to Belmont with Portia?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the term of a "pound of flesh" and what significance it plays in this story-line. Where does it appear, and which characters are most affected by it?
Essay Topic 2
How were the roles of women different in the time of this play than they are now, and how does the theme of gender roles present itself in the text?
Essay Topic 3
Power and greed are two common themes in this play. Where do they appear and how do they differ in their manifestations?
This section contains 798 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)