|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Antonio plead for mercy from?
2. Who is present when Shylock realizes his daughter is gone?
3. What is the name of the young lawyer who has come to Venice to help the Duke make a ruling on the case?
4. Which casket does the second suitor choose?
5. Who does Bassanio introduce Portia to when he returns to Belmont from Venice?
Essay Topic 1
Antonio endures many different trials before the end of the play. What are some of these trials and what lessons does he learn through these experiences?
Essay Topic 2
Betrayal is a theme introduced near the very beginning of this play. How does this constant stream of betrayal affect the outcome of the plot and which characters are most affected by it?
Essay Topic 3
Friendship is a strong theme throughout the play. Where are some places that this theme appears, and how do the characters touched by it react? How do certain friendships change over the course of the play, and what causes these changes?
This section contains 732 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)