|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Shylock say will happen to Jessica due to her betrayal?
2. What about the lead box intrigues Bassanio?
3. What does Portia threaten to do when she hears Bassanio has given away his ring?
4. What does Antonio think Shylock hates him for while he is in prison?
5. How much money did Jessica spend in one night?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Portia offer to do when they hear of Antonio's misfortune, and what does Jessica say about this plan?
2. How does a servant describe the young Venetian suitor who arrives to woo Portia?
3. What does Lorenzo ask Jessica about Portia, and how does she respond?
4. What does Portia tell Nerissa after they leave Belmont?
5. Why is Antonio so certain that the Duke will uphold the contract between him and Shylock?
6. Why are Salarino and Solanio so worried about Antonio when Shylock realizes his daughter has run away?
7. What cheers Shylock while he is so upset about his daughter running away with a Christian?
8. Why is Launcelot so worried about Jessica, and what does he think her only hope is?
9. How does Antonio try to smooth things over when Portia hears that Bassanio gave his ring away?
10. Where does Shylock want to search for his daughter, and why is he not able to?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Which character do you relate with the most in this play? Why is this? How does this character change throughout the play?
Essay Topic 2
Antonio endures many different trials before the end of the play. What are some of these trials and what lessons does he learn through these experiences?
Essay Topic 3
Love is a theme that is displayed by a few different relationships. Choose two of these relationships and compare and contrast these relationships with each other.
This section contains 777 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)