|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Portia want Bassanio to wait to choose his casket?
2. Why does Solanio say the duke will not uphold the law?
3. Why is Shylock not able to search where he wants to for his missing daughter?
4. What about the lead box intrigues Bassanio?
5. Who does Shylock petition for help when he sees that his daughter is gone?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does a servant describe the young Venetian suitor who arrives to woo Portia?
2. What does Shylock hope will happen before Antonio is made to pay his pound of flesh?
3. Why is Antonio so certain that the Duke will uphold the contract between him and Shylock?
4. What does Shylock refuse to allow in the courtroom as Antonio gives his pound of flesh, and why?
5. What does Portia tell Nerissa after they leave Belmont?
6. What does Lorenzo ask Jessica about Portia, and how does she respond?
7. What announcement does Gratiano make after Bassanio chooses the correct casket?
8. Why are Salarino and Solanio so worried about Antonio when Shylock realizes his daughter has run away?
9. What does Portia offer to do when they hear of Antonio's misfortune, and what does Jessica say about this plan?
10. What does Lorenzo praise Portia for after Bassanio leaves for Venice and how does Portia respond?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Power and greed are two common themes in this play. Where do they appear and how do they differ in their manifestations?
Essay Topic 2
How does the relationship between Portia and Bassanio change throughout the course of the play and how do these changes affect the characters around them?
Essay Topic 3
How were the roles of women different in the time of this play than they are now, and how does the theme of gender roles present itself in the text?
This section contains 755 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)