|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Shylock warn the jailer not to do?
2. What is Nerissa disguised as while she is in Venice with Portia?
3. Who does Bassanio introduce Portia to when he returns to Belmont from Venice?
4. Who does Antonio plead for mercy from?
5. Who does Nerissa marry?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Nerissa plan to get from her husband before returning to Belmont with Portia?
2. What does Portia offer to do when they hear of Antonio's misfortune, and what does Jessica say about this plan?
3. How does Antonio try to smooth things over when Portia hears that Bassanio gave his ring away?
4. What does Portia do when she finds out Bassanio gave his ring away, and how does Bassanio react to this?
5. What does Shylock refuse to allow in the courtroom as Antonio gives his pound of flesh, and why?
6. What does Portia tell Nerissa after they leave Belmont?
7. What is found in the silver casket and how does the Prince respond to this?
8. What does Shylock tell Solanio and Salarino he will do with the pound of flesh he gets from Antonio, and why?
9. What does Shylock hope will happen before Antonio is made to pay his pound of flesh?
10. What does Lorenzo praise Portia for after Bassanio leaves for Venice and how does Portia respond?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Which character do you relate with the most in this play? Why is this? How does this character change throughout the play?
Essay Topic 2
Power and greed are two common themes in this play. Where do they appear and how do they differ in their manifestations?
Essay Topic 3
What were the inscriptions and contents of the three caskets and what significance do they play on the course of the plot?
This section contains 698 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)