|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the guest at Belmont react when he sees what is in the casket he has chosen?
2. What does Lorenzo apologize for when he arrives at the masquerade?
3. What does Jessica hope her father will lose on the night of the masquerade?
4. What does Lorenzo say Shylock's only way to Heaven will be?
5. How many servants are attending the Moroccan prince?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Bassanio ask of Antonio when they first meet in this play and how does Antonio respond?
2. Who asks to travel with Bassanio when he leaves Venice and why?
3. What is Bassanio's response to the men who want to travel with him when he leaves Venice?
4. What has caused the interest rates on loans to go down in Venice?
5. Why does Shylock hate Antonio?
6. How does Shylock react when he hears that Launcelot has chosen to find new employment with Bassanio?
7. Whose arrival is announced at the end of the second scene, and how is this news received?
8. What does Shylock tell his daughter to do during the masquerade?
9. What does Portia say to the Moroccan prince when he asks her to judge him by his beauty?
10. What is Portia so upset about when she is first seen in this book?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The characters in this play all had their own goals and motivations. Select four characters and write about their main motivations and how this goal affects the characters around them.
Essay Topic 2
How is the theme of diversity shown in this play, and which characters are most affected by this?
Essay Topic 3
This play takes place in a few different settings. Describe some of these settings and how they affect the course of the plot. Why might Shakespeare have chosen these particular places?
This section contains 701 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)