|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Shylock tell Jessica to do while he is dining on the night of the masquerade?
2. Who does Bassanio hire into his service before he leaves Venice?
3. Whose arrival is announced at the end of the second scene?
4. Where are the rules for Portia's suitors listed?
5. How does the guest at Belmont react when he sees what is in the casket he has chosen?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Portia feel when the Prince of Morocco chose the wrong Casket?
2. What does the Moroccan prince look like when he is first seen on stage?
3. What is the consequence of a suitor for Portia's hand choosing the wrong chest?
4. Who does Jessica say she is so sad to see leave, and why?
5. What does Lorenzo say is the only way Shylock will go to Heaven?
6. What do Salarino and Gratiano say about love while they is waiting for Lorenzo to arrive at the masquerade?
7. Who asks to travel with Bassanio when he leaves Venice and why?
8. Who is Bassanio in love with, and what must he do to woo her?
9. Why does Launcelot want to leave Shylock as his master?
10. What has caused the interest rates on loans to go down in Venice?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Mercy and justice are two themes that play a huge role in this play. Where are these themes present and which characters are most affected by them?
Essay Topic 2
How is the theme of diversity shown in this play, and which characters are most affected by this?
Essay Topic 3
What were the inscriptions and contents of the three caskets and what significance do they play on the course of the plot?
This section contains 657 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)