|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Portia hope other suitors like the Prince will do when they come to woo her?
2. What do the men lack for the upcoming masquerade?
3. What does Lorenzo say Shylock's only way to Heaven will be?
4. What does Launcelot want to do when he first appears on stage?
5. Why does Jessica return to her house before the masquerade?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Lorenzo ask Jessica about Portia, and how does she respond?
2. Who is Bassanio in love with, and what must he do to woo her?
3. Who is Shylock forced to deed his property to, and why is Portia so happy about this?
4. What does Shylock refuse to allow in the courtroom as Antonio gives his pound of flesh, and why?
5. What announcement does Gratiano make after Bassanio chooses the correct casket?
6. What is Jessica so ashamed of herself for?
7. What must a suitor do in order to win Portia's hand in marriage?
8. What does Portia offer to do when they hear of Antonio's misfortune, and what does Jessica say about this plan?
9. What does Shylock tell Solanio and Salarino he will do with the pound of flesh he gets from Antonio, and why?
10. How has Portia felt about some of her past suitors?
Essay Topic 1
What were the inscriptions and contents of the three caskets and what significance do they play on the course of the plot?
Essay Topic 2
Betrayal is a theme introduced near the very beginning of this play. How does this constant stream of betrayal affect the outcome of the plot and which characters are most affected by it?
Essay Topic 3
Friendship is a strong theme throughout the play. Where are some places that this theme appears, and how do the characters touched by it react? How do certain friendships change over the course of the play, and what causes these changes?
This section contains 1,275 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)