|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Shylock's daughter know Launcelot?
2. What is the consequence of a suitor choosing the wrong chest?
3. Who of the following is not a merchant in Venice?
4. What is Launcelot's occupation?
5. How does Launcelot tell Jessica about who is coming to her house the night of the masquerade?
Short Essay Questions
1. What cheers Shylock while he is so upset about his daughter running away with a Christian?
2. What does Gratiano say about Jessica after speaking with her for a time?
3. What does Jessica say she hopes will happen as her father leaves the house on the night of the masquerade?
4. What and how does Antonio compare life on earth to while he is speaking to Gratiano?
5. How does Shylock react when he hears that Launcelot has chosen to find new employment with Bassanio?
6. What does Portia tell Nerissa after they leave Belmont?
7. How does Antonio try to smooth things over when Portia hears that Bassanio gave his ring away?
8. What does Portia do when she finds out Bassanio gave his ring away, and how does Bassanio react to this?
9. Why is Antonio so certain that the Duke will uphold the contract between him and Shylock?
10. What do the inscriptions on each of the caskets say?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The characters in this play all had their own goals and motivations. Select four characters and write about their main motivations and how this goal affects the characters around them.
Essay Topic 2
What were the inscriptions and contents of the three caskets and what significance do they play on the course of the plot?
Essay Topic 3
Antonio endures many different trials before the end of the play. What are some of these trials and what lessons does he learn through these experiences?
This section contains 1,328 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)