|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What physical ailment does Launcelot's father have?
2. What does Antonio ask Bassanio about when they are left alone at the beginning of the play?
3. What is the name of Portia's lady in waiting?
4. What does Bassanio need to borrow from Antonio at the beginning of the book?
5. Who does Launcelot want to work for?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do the inscriptions on each of the caskets say?
2. What is Jessica so ashamed of herself for?
3. What do the men discussing the masquerade say they need for the ball?
4. Who does Jessica want to marry, and why would her father oppose of this?
5. Where is Shylock going on the night of the masquerade, and why?
6. What must a suitor do in order to win Portia's hand in marriage?
7. What does Shylock tell his daughter to do during the masquerade?
8. What reason did the Moroccan prince give for choosing the casket he chose?
9. What does the Moroccan prince think is causing Portia's reserved and quiet reaction to him?
10. Why does Shylock hate Antonio?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How were the roles of women different in the time of this play than they are now, and how does the theme of gender roles present itself in the text?
Essay Topic 2
Love is a theme that is displayed by a few different relationships. Choose two of these relationships and compare and contrast these relationships with each other.
Essay Topic 3
Betrayal is a theme introduced near the very beginning of this play. How does this constant stream of betrayal affect the outcome of the plot and which characters are most affected by it?
This section contains 634 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)