|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the inscription on the gold casket say it holds?
2. Who does Bassiano take out a loan from?
3. What is Launcelot's occupation?
4. Where will Shylock be dining on the night of the masquerade?
5. How is Bassanio related to Antonio?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where is Shylock going on the night of the masquerade, and why?
2. Why does Launcelot want to leave Shylock as his master?
3. What does Lorenzo say is the only way Shylock will go to Heaven?
4. How does Jessica look when she arrives at the masquerade?
5. How does Antonio feel at the beginning of the play and why?
6. Why does Shylock hate Antonio?
7. Why does Gratiano decide to not attend the masquerade he has been looking forward to?
8. What does the Moroccan prince think is causing Portia's reserved and quiet reaction to him?
9. What does Jessica ask Launcelot to do before he leaves Venice?
10. Who does Jessica say she is so sad to see leave, and why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the term of a "pound of flesh" and what significance it plays in this story-line. Where does it appear, and which characters are most affected by it?
Essay Topic 2
Security and safety were two themes that are touched on a number of times throughout the course of this play. What are some of these instances, and how do they affect the characters in these scenes?
Essay Topic 3
Friendship is a strong theme throughout the play. Where are some places that this theme appears, and how do the characters touched by it react? How do certain friendships change over the course of the play, and what causes these changes?
This section contains 601 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)