|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Launcelot's master?
2. What is inside the casket chosen by the guest at Belmont?
3. Who begs to travel with Bassanio on his journey before he leaves Venice?
4. What does the money lender want if the loan that Bassanio needs cannot be repaid?
5. What is Launcelot's father's name?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Shylock ask for if Antonio defaults on the loan for Bassanio?
2. Why does Shylock hate Antonio?
3. What does Lorenzo plan to do before the masquerade?
4. Whose arrival is announced at the end of the second scene, and how is this news received?
5. Who does Jessica want to marry, and why would her father oppose of this?
6. What does Shylock tell his daughter to do during the masquerade?
7. Why does Shylock say it is so brave of Antonio to guarantee a loan for Bassanio at this time?
8. What reason did the Moroccan prince give for choosing the casket he chose?
9. What does Jessica ask Launcelot to do before he leaves Venice?
10. What is the consequence of a suitor for Portia's hand choosing the wrong chest?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
This play takes place in a few different settings. Describe some of these settings and how they affect the course of the plot. Why might Shakespeare have chosen these particular places?
Essay Topic 2
The characters in this play all had their own goals and motivations. Select four characters and write about their main motivations and how this goal affects the characters around them.
Essay Topic 3
Love is a theme that is displayed by a few different relationships. Choose two of these relationships and compare and contrast these relationships with each other.
This section contains 676 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)