|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Shylock tell Launcelot he will not receive while working for his new master?
2. What does Antonio ask Bassanio about when they are left alone at the beginning of the play?
3. What religion does Shylock's daughter follow?
4. Where does the Moroccan prince first touch land?
5. What does the inscription on the gold casket say it holds?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who does Jessica want to marry, and why would her father oppose of this?
2. Who asks to travel with Bassanio when he leaves Venice and why?
3. Who is Bassanio in love with, and what must he do to woo her?
4. How has Portia felt about some of her past suitors?
5. What reason did the Moroccan prince give for choosing the casket he chose?
6. How did Portia feel when the Prince of Morocco chose the wrong Casket?
7. What does Launcelot do when he sees his father on the streets?
8. What is Portia so upset about when she is first seen in this book?
9. What is Jessica so ashamed of herself for?
10. Who does Jessica say she is so sad to see leave, and why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How is the theme of diversity shown in this play, and which characters are most affected by this?
Essay Topic 2
Sacrifice is a theme that was very prevalent in this play. Who are the characters most affected by this theme, and how do they allow sacrifice to change their lives?
Essay Topic 3
There are many different symbols present in this play. What are these symbols and how does their presence alter the course of the plot?
This section contains 663 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)