|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Jessica return to her house before the masquerade?
2. What is Antony concerned about at the beginning of the play?
3. What religion does Shylock's daughter follow?
4. Why does Gratiano say Jessica is not a true Jew?
5. Whose arrival is announced at the end of the second scene?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where is Shylock going on the night of the masquerade, and why?
2. What does Jessica say she hopes will happen as her father leaves the house on the night of the masquerade?
3. How does Shylock react when he hears that Launcelot has chosen to find new employment with Bassanio?
4. What is the consequence of a suitor for Portia's hand choosing the wrong chest?
5. Which casket does the Prince of Morocco choose, and what is found inside it?
6. What and how does Antonio compare life on earth to while he is speaking to Gratiano?
7. What does Shylock ask for if Antonio defaults on the loan for Bassanio?
8. How does Jessica look when she arrives at the masquerade?
9. How did Portia feel when the Prince of Morocco chose the wrong Casket?
10. What does the Moroccan prince think is causing Portia's reserved and quiet reaction to him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The characters in this play all had their own goals and motivations. Select four characters and write about their main motivations and how this goal affects the characters around them.
Essay Topic 2
Sacrifice is a theme that was very prevalent in this play. Who are the characters most affected by this theme, and how do they allow sacrifice to change their lives?
Essay Topic 3
How were the roles of women different in the time of this play than they are now, and how does the theme of gender roles present itself in the text?
This section contains 700 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)