|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What religion does Shylock's daughter want to follow?
2. What is Launcelot's occupation?
3. Where will Shylock be when his daughter attends the masquerade?
4. What is Jessica afraid to do for Lorenzo at the masquerade?
5. What color is the Moroccan prince wearing when he first appears on stage?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Launcelot do when he sees his father on the streets?
2. Who is Bassanio in love with, and what must he do to woo her?
3. Why does Shylock hate Antonio?
4. What do Salarino and Gratiano say about love while they is waiting for Lorenzo to arrive at the masquerade?
5. What does Lorenzo say is the only way Shylock will go to Heaven?
6. What does Shylock ask for if Antonio defaults on the loan for Bassanio?
7. What has caused the interest rates on loans to go down in Venice?
8. What does Lorenzo plan to do before the masquerade?
9. What does Portia say to the Moroccan prince when he asks her to judge him by his beauty?
10. What does the Moroccan prince think is causing Portia's reserved and quiet reaction to him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Portia and Nerissa both have similar relationships with their husbands, but there are some notable differences. Please compare and contrast these relationships and explain how they affected the other characters around them.
Essay Topic 2
Sacrifice is a theme that was very prevalent in this play. Who are the characters most affected by this theme, and how do they allow sacrifice to change their lives?
Essay Topic 3
How were the roles of women different in the time of this play than they are now, and how does the theme of gender roles present itself in the text?
This section contains 623 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)