|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who wants to dine with Shylock the evening of the Masquerade?
2. What does the inscription on the gold casket say it holds?
3. Who is Bassanio in love with?
4. What does Portia hope other suitors like the Prince will do when they come to woo her?
5. What does Shylock tell his daughter not to do on the night of the masquerade?
Short Essay Questions
1. What reason did the Moroccan prince give for choosing the casket he chose?
2. What does Lorenzo say is the only way Shylock will go to Heaven?
3. What and how does Antonio compare life on earth to while he is speaking to Gratiano?
4. Who is Bassanio in love with, and what must he do to woo her?
5. Which casket does the Prince of Morocco choose, and what is found inside it?
6. What does Jessica say she hopes will happen as her father leaves the house on the night of the masquerade?
7. How does Antonio feel at the beginning of the play and why?
8. What does Bassanio ask of Antonio when they first meet in this play and how does Antonio respond?
9. What does Shylock ask for if Antonio defaults on the loan for Bassanio?
10. Why does Shylock hate Antonio?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Sacrifice is a theme that was very prevalent in this play. Who are the characters most affected by this theme, and how do they allow sacrifice to change their lives?
Essay Topic 2
What were the inscriptions and contents of the three caskets and what significance do they play on the course of the plot?
Essay Topic 3
Mercy and justice are two themes that play a huge role in this play. Where are these themes present and which characters are most affected by them?
This section contains 680 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)