|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does The Moroccan Prince think Portia does not like about him?
2. What is the name of Portia's lady in waiting?
3. Who does Bassiano take out a loan from?
4. What is Antony concerned about at the beginning of the play?
5. What does Portia really not like about the Moroccan Prince?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who does Jessica want to marry, and why would her father oppose of this?
2. Which casket does the Prince of Morocco choose, and what is found inside it?
3. Who is Bassanio in love with, and what must he do to woo her?
4. Why does Gratiano decide to not attend the masquerade he has been looking forward to?
5. What is Portia so upset about when she is first seen in this book?
6. How has Portia felt about some of her past suitors?
7. What reason did the Moroccan prince give for choosing the casket he chose?
8. Who asks to travel with Bassanio when he leaves Venice and why?
9. What does Jessica ask Launcelot to do before he leaves Venice?
10. What does Launcelot do when he sees his father on the streets?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Power and greed are two common themes in this play. Where do they appear and how do they differ in their manifestations?
Essay Topic 2
Mercy and justice are two themes that play a huge role in this play. Where are these themes present and which characters are most affected by them?
Essay Topic 3
Explain the term of a "pound of flesh" and what significance it plays in this story-line. Where does it appear, and which characters are most affected by it?
This section contains 643 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)