|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Launcelot tease his father about when he sees him on the street?
2. What do Portia's suitors have to choose from in order to win her hand in marriage?
3. What does The Moroccan Prince think Portia does not like about him?
4. How many servants are attending the Moroccan prince?
5. How does Shylock's daughter know Launcelot?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Shylock ask for if Antonio defaults on the loan for Bassanio?
2. What is Portia so upset about when she is first seen in this book?
3. What does Gratiano say about Jessica after speaking with her for a time?
4. What do the men discussing the masquerade say they need for the ball?
5. Why is Shylock denied the money that Antonio first offered him in lieu of the pound of flesh?
6. What does Nerissa plan to get from her husband before returning to Belmont with Portia?
7. What do the inscriptions on each of the caskets say?
8. What does Portia offer to do when they hear of Antonio's misfortune, and what does Jessica say about this plan?
9. What does Lorenzo ask Jessica about Portia, and how does she respond?
10. Who is Bassanio in love with, and what must he do to woo her?
Essay Topic 1
Portia and Nerissa both have similar relationships with their husbands, but there are some notable differences. Please compare and contrast these relationships and explain how they affected the other characters around them.
Essay Topic 2
Betrayal is a theme introduced near the very beginning of this play. How does this constant stream of betrayal affect the outcome of the plot and which characters are most affected by it?
Essay Topic 3
How were the roles of women different in the time of this play than they are now, and how does the theme of gender roles present itself in the text?
This section contains 1,294 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)