|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the inscription on the lead casket say it holds?
2. What does Jessica hope her father will lose on the night of the masquerade?
3. What color is the Moroccan prince wearing when he first appears on stage?
4. Who is Shylock's daughter sad to see leave?
5. What does Jessica plan to do while her father is dining on the night of the masquerade?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Launcelot do when he sees his father on the streets?
2. Why does Shylock hate Antonio?
3. What do Salarino and Gratiano say about love while they is waiting for Lorenzo to arrive at the masquerade?
4. Why does Shylock say it is so brave of Antonio to guarantee a loan for Bassanio at this time?
5. What is Bassanio's response to the men who want to travel with him when he leaves Venice?
6. Where is Shylock going on the night of the masquerade, and why?
7. What do the men discussing the masquerade say they need for the ball?
8. What and how does Antonio compare life on earth to while he is speaking to Gratiano?
9. What does Gratiano say about Jessica after speaking with her for a time?
10. What does Portia say to the Moroccan prince when he asks her to judge him by his beauty?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Portia and Nerissa both have similar relationships with their husbands, but there are some notable differences. Please compare and contrast these relationships and explain how they affected the other characters around them.
Essay Topic 2
Betrayal is a theme introduced near the very beginning of this play. How does this constant stream of betrayal affect the outcome of the plot and which characters are most affected by it?
Essay Topic 3
What were the inscriptions and contents of the three caskets and what significance do they play on the course of the plot?
This section contains 697 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)