|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What religion does Shylock follow?
2. Why does the money lender refuse to complete the loan process in the way Bassanio suggests?
3. Why has no suitor yet tried to choose one of the chests?
4. Why is Launcelot leaving Venice?
5. Who of the following is not a merchant in Venice?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who does Jessica want to marry, and why would her father oppose of this?
2. What does Portia say to the Moroccan prince when he asks her to judge him by his beauty?
3. What does Jessica ask Launcelot to do before he leaves Venice?
4. Who does Jessica say she is so sad to see leave, and why?
5. What is Portia so upset about when she is first seen in this book?
6. What do the men discussing the masquerade say they need for the ball?
7. How did Portia feel when the Prince of Morocco chose the wrong Casket?
8. What is the consequence of a suitor for Portia's hand choosing the wrong chest?
9. What does Shylock tell his daughter to do during the masquerade?
10. What and how does Antonio compare life on earth to while he is speaking to Gratiano?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The characters in this play all had their own goals and motivations. Select four characters and write about their main motivations and how this goal affects the characters around them.
Essay Topic 2
Explain the term of a "pound of flesh" and what significance it plays in this story-line. Where does it appear, and which characters are most affected by it?
Essay Topic 3
Mercy and justice are two themes that play a huge role in this play. Where are these themes present and which characters are most affected by them?
This section contains 743 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)