|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jessica plan to do while her father is dining on the night of the masquerade?
2. Where is Bassanio heading to after speaking with Gratiano?
3. Why does the money lender refuse to complete the loan process in the way Bassanio suggests?
4. What is inside the casket chosen by the guest at Belmont?
5. Why has Shylock chosen to dine where he is on the night of the masquerade?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do the inscriptions on each of the caskets say?
2. What is Jessica so ashamed of herself for?
3. Why does Gratiano decide to not attend the masquerade he has been looking forward to?
4. Why does Shylock say it is so brave of Antonio to guarantee a loan for Bassanio at this time?
5. Which casket does the Prince of Morocco choose, and what is found inside it?
6. Who does Jessica say she is so sad to see leave, and why?
7. Where is Shylock going on the night of the masquerade, and why?
8. What must a suitor do in order to win Portia's hand in marriage?
9. Who does Jessica want to marry, and why would her father oppose of this?
10. What does Shylock ask for if Antonio defaults on the loan for Bassanio?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Betrayal is a theme introduced near the very beginning of this play. How does this constant stream of betrayal affect the outcome of the plot and which characters are most affected by it?
Essay Topic 2
Valor was a theme of this play that is very important to many of the characters involved. Where does this theme of valor present itself and how do these occurrences affect the characters involved in those scenes?
Essay Topic 3
Nerissa is a minor character whose presence makes a big difference in the plot. How does she accomplish this? What are some ways that her presence, however brief, alters the outcome of the plot? What would have happened differently if Nerissa had not been in the play at all?
This section contains 782 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)