|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Launcelot leaving Venice?
2. How much money will Antonio earn when his investments come to fruition?
3. Where is the person coming from whose arrival is announced at the end of the second scene?
4. What is Shylock's daughter most ashamed of?
5. What does the inscription on the silver casket say it holds?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who does Jessica want to marry, and why would her father oppose of this?
2. What does Shylock ask for if Antonio defaults on the loan for Bassanio?
3. What reason did the Moroccan prince give for choosing the casket he chose?
4. What does Bassanio ask of Antonio when they first meet in this play and how does Antonio respond?
5. What do the inscriptions on each of the caskets say?
6. Why does Shylock say it is so brave of Antonio to guarantee a loan for Bassanio at this time?
7. What is Bassanio's response to the men who want to travel with him when he leaves Venice?
8. What does Jessica ask Launcelot to do before he leaves Venice?
9. What do the men discussing the masquerade say they need for the ball?
10. Where is Shylock going on the night of the masquerade, and why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Love is a theme that is displayed by a few different relationships. Choose two of these relationships and compare and contrast these relationships with each other.
Essay Topic 2
How is the theme of diversity shown in this play, and which characters are most affected by this?
Essay Topic 3
Antonio endures many different trials before the end of the play. What are some of these trials and what lessons does he learn through these experiences?
This section contains 714 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)