|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the inscription on the lead casket say it holds?
2. What does Gratiano say most lovers really love?
3. What convinces Lorenzo to change his plans on the night of the masquerade?
4. Why has Shylock chosen to dine where he is on the night of the masquerade?
5. What does the Moroccan want Portia to judge him by?
Short Essay Questions
1. What reason did the Moroccan prince give for choosing the casket he chose?
2. What does Lorenzo plan to do before the masquerade?
3. Which casket does the Prince of Morocco choose, and what is found inside it?
4. How does Shylock react when he hears that Launcelot has chosen to find new employment with Bassanio?
5. What must a suitor do in order to win Portia's hand in marriage?
6. Who does Jessica say she is so sad to see leave, and why?
7. Who does Jessica want to marry, and why would her father oppose of this?
8. What is Bassanio's response to the men who want to travel with him when he leaves Venice?
9. Why does Gratiano decide to not attend the masquerade he has been looking forward to?
10. What is Jessica so ashamed of herself for?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Valor was a theme of this play that is very important to many of the characters involved. Where does this theme of valor present itself and how do these occurrences affect the characters involved in those scenes?
Essay Topic 2
Mercy and justice are two themes that play a huge role in this play. Where are these themes present and which characters are most affected by them?
Essay Topic 3
Betrayal is a theme introduced near the very beginning of this play. How does this constant stream of betrayal affect the outcome of the plot and which characters are most affected by it?
This section contains 718 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)