|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Launcelot tease his father about when he sees him on the street?
2. What did Portia's father want to determine through his test of chests?
3. How many servants are attending the Moroccan prince?
4. What does Antonio compare life on this earth to?
5. What does Shylock tell Jessica to do while he is dining on the night of the masquerade?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Bassanio in love with, and what must he do to woo her?
2. What does Shylock tell his daughter to do during the masquerade?
3. Who asks to travel with Bassanio when he leaves Venice and why?
4. What reason did the Moroccan prince give for choosing the casket he chose?
5. What does Gratiano say about Jessica after speaking with her for a time?
6. What does Lorenzo plan to do before the masquerade?
7. Why does Gratiano decide to not attend the masquerade he has been looking forward to?
8. What do Salarino and Gratiano say about love while they is waiting for Lorenzo to arrive at the masquerade?
9. How does Antonio feel at the beginning of the play and why?
10. Why does Launcelot want to leave Shylock as his master?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the term of a "pound of flesh" and what significance it plays in this story-line. Where does it appear, and which characters are most affected by it?
Essay Topic 2
Friendship is a strong theme throughout the play. Where are some places that this theme appears, and how do the characters touched by it react? How do certain friendships change over the course of the play, and what causes these changes?
Essay Topic 3
How does the relationship between Portia and Bassanio change throughout the course of the play and how do these changes affect the characters around them?
This section contains 695 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)