|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Launcelot tease his father about when he sees him on the street?
2. Who is Bassanio in love with?
3. What does Jessica hope to lose on the night of the masquerade?
4. What new reason does Shylock have to hate Bassanio on the night of the masquerade?
5. What does Solanio think Antonio's sadness is about?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Shylock hate Antonio?
2. Where is Shylock going on the night of the masquerade, and why?
3. What do Salarino and Gratiano say about love while they is waiting for Lorenzo to arrive at the masquerade?
4. What cheers Shylock while he is so upset about his daughter running away with a Christian?
5. What is found in the silver casket and how does the Prince respond to this?
6. Who is Shylock forced to deed his property to, and why is Portia so happy about this?
7. What reason did the Moroccan prince give for choosing the casket he chose?
8. What does the Moroccan prince look like when he is first seen on stage?
9. Why does Gratiano decide to not attend the masquerade he has been looking forward to?
10. How does Jessica look when she arrives at the masquerade?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Betrayal is a theme introduced near the very beginning of this play. How does this constant stream of betrayal affect the outcome of the plot and which characters are most affected by it?
Essay Topic 2
Which character do you relate with the most in this play? Why is this? How does this character change throughout the play?
Essay Topic 3
This play takes place in a few different settings. Describe some of these settings and how they affect the course of the plot. Why might Shakespeare have chosen these particular places?
This section contains 1,213 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)