|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why has Shylock chosen to dine where he is on the night of the masquerade?
2. What does Bassano demand of the man who begs to go on the journey with Bassanio?
3. Why has no suitor yet tried to choose one of the chests?
4. What religion does Antonio follow?
5. Who is Bassanio in love with?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Bassanio in love with, and what must he do to woo her?
2. How did Portia feel when the Prince of Morocco chose the wrong Casket?
3. Why does Shylock hate Antonio?
4. Why does Gratiano decide to not attend the masquerade he has been looking forward to?
5. What does the Moroccan prince look like when he is first seen on stage?
6. Whose arrival is announced at the end of the second scene, and how is this news received?
7. What does Bassanio ask of Antonio when they first meet in this play and how does Antonio respond?
8. What do the inscriptions on each of the caskets say?
9. What does Jessica ask Launcelot to do before he leaves Venice?
10. Who asks to travel with Bassanio when he leaves Venice and why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How were the roles of women different in the time of this play than they are now, and how does the theme of gender roles present itself in the text?
Essay Topic 2
Security and safety were two themes that are touched on a number of times throughout the course of this play. What are some of these instances, and how do they affect the characters in these scenes?
Essay Topic 3
Love is a theme that is displayed by a few different relationships. Choose two of these relationships and compare and contrast these relationships with each other.
This section contains 698 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)