|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the consequence of a suitor choosing the wrong chest?
2. When does Gratiano say love tends to wane?
3. What does Salarino think Antonio's sadness is about?
4. Who does Launcelot want to work for?
5. What is Launcelot's father's name?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Launcelot do when he sees his father on the streets?
2. What is Portia so upset about when she is first seen in this book?
3. What is Bassanio's response to the men who want to travel with him when he leaves Venice?
4. Why does Gratiano decide to not attend the masquerade he has been looking forward to?
5. What does Bassanio ask of Antonio when they first meet in this play and how does Antonio respond?
6. What does Jessica ask Launcelot to do before he leaves Venice?
7. What does Shylock ask for if Antonio defaults on the loan for Bassanio?
8. Whose arrival is announced at the end of the second scene, and how is this news received?
9. What does Portia say to the Moroccan prince when he asks her to judge him by his beauty?
10. What reason did the Moroccan prince give for choosing the casket he chose?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
This play takes place in a few different settings. Describe some of these settings and how they affect the course of the plot. Why might Shakespeare have chosen these particular places?
Essay Topic 2
The characters in this play all had their own goals and motivations. Select four characters and write about their main motivations and how this goal affects the characters around them.
Essay Topic 3
Antonio endures many different trials before the end of the play. What are some of these trials and what lessons does he learn through these experiences?
This section contains 696 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)