|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Antony concerned about at the beginning of the play?
2. Why does the money lender refuse to complete the loan process in the way Bassanio suggests?
3. What does Jessica plan to do while her father is dining on the night of the masquerade?
4. How does Launcelot tell Jessica about who is coming to her house the night of the masquerade?
5. What does Launcelot want to do when he first appears on stage?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Launcelot want to leave Shylock as his master?
2. Who is Bassanio in love with, and what must he do to woo her?
3. Which casket does the Prince of Morocco choose, and what is found inside it?
4. What does Shylock ask for if Antonio defaults on the loan for Bassanio?
5. What does Portia say to the Moroccan prince when he asks her to judge him by his beauty?
6. What does Jessica ask Launcelot to do before he leaves Venice?
7. Where is Shylock going on the night of the masquerade, and why?
8. What does Gratiano say about Jessica after speaking with her for a time?
9. What does Jessica say she hopes will happen as her father leaves the house on the night of the masquerade?
10. What is the consequence of a suitor for Portia's hand choosing the wrong chest?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Antonio endures many different trials before the end of the play. What are some of these trials and what lessons does he learn through these experiences?
Essay Topic 2
Security and safety were two themes that are touched on a number of times throughout the course of this play. What are some of these instances, and how do they affect the characters in these scenes?
Essay Topic 3
How is the theme of diversity shown in this play, and which characters are most affected by this?
This section contains 731 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)