|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What physical ailment does Launcelot's father have?
2. What is Antony concerned about at the beginning of the play?
3. What does Shylock tell his daughter not to do on the night of the masquerade?
4. What will the correct suitor find inside the correct item in order to win Portia's hand in marriage?
5. Who does Launcelot tell Jessica is coming the night of the masquerade?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the consequence of a suitor for Portia's hand choosing the wrong chest?
2. How does Shylock react when he hears that Launcelot has chosen to find new employment with Bassanio?
3. What do Salarino and Gratiano say about love while they is waiting for Lorenzo to arrive at the masquerade?
4. What is Portia so upset about when she is first seen in this book?
5. What does the letter Jessica wrote to Lorenzo say?
6. What does Gratiano say about Jessica after speaking with her for a time?
7. What does Shylock tell Solanio and Salarino he will do with the pound of flesh he gets from Antonio, and why?
8. Who is Shylock forced to deed his property to, and why is Portia so happy about this?
9. How does a servant describe the young Venetian suitor who arrives to woo Portia?
10. Who does Jessica want to marry, and why would her father oppose of this?
Essay Topic 1
Explain the term of a "pound of flesh" and what significance it plays in this story-line. Where does it appear, and which characters are most affected by it?
Essay Topic 2
Antonio endures many different trials before the end of the play. What are some of these trials and what lessons does he learn through these experiences?
Essay Topic 3
There are many different symbols present in this play. What are these symbols and how does their presence alter the course of the plot?
This section contains 1,267 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)