|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What will the correct suitor find inside the correct item in order to win Portia's hand in marriage?
2. What does Lorenzo say he is saving the woman he loves from?
3. Who is Bassanio in love with?
4. Why is guaranteeing this loan so dangerous to Antonio?
5. Why does Portia tell her lady in waiting she is tired of the world?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Bassanio's response to the men who want to travel with him when he leaves Venice?
2. How does Antonio feel at the beginning of the play and why?
3. What must a suitor do in order to win Portia's hand in marriage?
4. Why does Launcelot want to leave Shylock as his master?
5. What does the letter Jessica wrote to Lorenzo say?
6. Who does Jessica want to marry, and why would her father oppose of this?
7. Why does Shylock hate Antonio?
8. What is Portia so upset about when she is first seen in this book?
9. How does Jessica look when she arrives at the masquerade?
10. What does Shylock ask for if Antonio defaults on the loan for Bassanio?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Power and greed are two common themes in this play. Where do they appear and how do they differ in their manifestations?
Essay Topic 2
Nerissa is a minor character whose presence makes a big difference in the plot. How does she accomplish this? What are some ways that her presence, however brief, alters the outcome of the plot? What would have happened differently if Nerissa had not been in the play at all?
Essay Topic 3
Friendship is a strong theme throughout the play. Where are some places that this theme appears, and how do the characters touched by it react? How do certain friendships change over the course of the play, and what causes these changes?
This section contains 684 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)