|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Antonio plead for mercy from?
(a) The duke.
(b) The jailer.
2. Why does Solanio say the duke will not uphold the law?
(a) He hates Jews.
(b) He does business with Antonio.
(c) He is a fair ruler.
(d) It is too cruel.
3. What does Launcelot tell Jessica he is worried about her for?
(a) Her father will try to arrest her new husband.
(b) She was manipulated into her marriage.
(c) Her new husband will mistreat her.
(d) She may go to hell for the sins of her father.
4. Where is the second guest at Belmont from while Bassanio is sailing there?
5. What does Antonio receive after Shylock is accused of threatening his life?
(a) All of Shylock's assets.
(b) Half of Shylock's estate.
(c) The satisfation of seeing Shylock taken to jail.
(d) Twice the debt owed to Shylock.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Shylock warn the jailer not to do?
2. What is found inside the casket chosen by the second suitor to Portia while Bassanio is sailing there?
3. Who does Portia leave in charge of her house when she leaves?
4. How much money did Jessica spend in one night?
5. How does Shylock plan to use the pound of flesh he will get from Antonio?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Portia tell Nerissa after they leave Belmont?
2. How does a servant describe the young Venetian suitor who arrives to woo Portia?
3. What does Shylock refuse to allow in the courtroom as Antonio gives his pound of flesh, and why?
4. What does Portia do when she finds out Bassanio gave his ring away, and how does Bassanio react to this?
5. Why is Antonio so certain that the Duke will uphold the contract between him and Shylock?
6. What is found in the silver casket and how does the Prince respond to this?
7. What announcement does Gratiano make after Bassanio chooses the correct casket?
8. Why is Shylock denied the money that Antonio first offered him in lieu of the pound of flesh?
9. What does Shylock tell Solanio and Salarino he will do with the pound of flesh he gets from Antonio, and why?
10. What does Lorenzo ask Jessica about Portia, and how does she respond?
This section contains 802 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)