|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the letter that Portia gives to Antonio say?
(a) His ships are all safe in port.
(b) He has inherited a great fortune.
(c) He is being summoned as a judge in Venice.
(d) He is dismissed of all charges.
2. What does Antonio receive after Shylock is accused of threatening his life?
(a) All of Shylock's assets.
(b) The satisfation of seeing Shylock taken to jail.
(c) Twice the debt owed to Shylock.
(d) Half of Shylock's estate.
3. What does Shylock say will happen if the duke does not uphold the contract between Shylock and Antonio?
(a) Contracts will be broken.
(b) Money will be lost.
(c) Business in Venice will suffer.
(d) The duke will be arrested.
4. What does Lorenzo praise Portia for after Bassanio leaves Belmont?
(a) Her patience.
(b) Her beauty.
(c) Her strength of character.
(d) Her love.
5. What does Portia offer to give to satisfy Antonio's debt to Shylock?
(a) 2 times the debt.
(b) A casket ful of jewels.
(c) 20 times the debt.
(d) A title of nobility and some land.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why has Bassanio left Portia just after winning the right to marry her?
2. Where have some of Antonio's ships sunk?
3. What does Shylock warn the jailer not to do?
4. Who does Portia leave in charge of her house when she leaves?
5. Where does Antonio say he last saw Lorenzo?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Portia offer to do when they hear of Antonio's misfortune, and what does Jessica say about this plan?
2. Why are Salarino and Solanio so worried about Antonio when Shylock realizes his daughter has run away?
3. How does a servant describe the young Venetian suitor who arrives to woo Portia?
4. What does Lorenzo ask Jessica about Portia, and how does she respond?
5. What announcement does Gratiano make after Bassanio chooses the correct casket?
6. Why is Shylock denied the money that Antonio first offered him in lieu of the pound of flesh?
7. How does Antonio try to smooth things over when Portia hears that Bassanio gave his ring away?
8. Who is Shylock forced to deed his property to, and why is Portia so happy about this?
9. What does Shylock tell Solanio and Salarino he will do with the pound of flesh he gets from Antonio, and why?
10. Why is Antonio so certain that the Duke will uphold the contract between him and Shylock?
This section contains 858 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)