|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Portia request while Bassanio is choosing his casket?
(a) That music be played.
(b) That he let her read the inscriptions to him.
(c) That he wait an hour.
(d) That lunch be served.
2. What does Launcelot tell Jessica he is worried about her for?
(a) Her new husband will mistreat her.
(b) Her father will try to arrest her new husband.
(c) She may go to hell for the sins of her father.
(d) She was manipulated into her marriage.
3. Where does Antonio say he last saw Lorenzo?
(a) In the marketplace.
(b) In Bassanio's ship.
(c) At the masquerade.
(d) On a gondola.
4. What did Jessica do with her mother's ring?
(a) Stole it for her own wedding ring.
(b) Sold it for money.
(c) Left it with her note to her father.
(d) Gave it to Antonio.
5. Why does Portia want Bassanio to wait to choose his casket?
(a) She wants him to get to know her better.
(b) She doesn't want him to choose correctly.
(c) He doesn't want him to choose incorrectly.
(d) She feels it inappropriate to let him choose so soon.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who announces to Lorenzo that Bassanio is expected home soon?
2. What is Jessica's response to Launcelot's concern for her?
3. Where is the second guest at Belmont from while Bassanio is sailing there?
4. What does Antonio think Shylock hates him for while he is in prison?
5. What does the letter that Portia gives to Antonio say?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Shylock tell Solanio and Salarino he will do with the pound of flesh he gets from Antonio, and why?
2. Where does Shylock want to search for his daughter, and why is he not able to?
3. What does Portia offer to do when they hear of Antonio's misfortune, and what does Jessica say about this plan?
4. What does Portia tell Nerissa after they leave Belmont?
5. What does Shylock refuse to allow in the courtroom as Antonio gives his pound of flesh, and why?
6. What does Lorenzo praise Portia for after Bassanio leaves for Venice and how does Portia respond?
7. Why is Shylock denied the money that Antonio first offered him in lieu of the pound of flesh?
8. What is found in the silver casket and how does the Prince respond to this?
9. What does Nerissa plan to get from her husband before returning to Belmont with Portia?
10. Why are Salarino and Solanio so worried about Antonio when Shylock realizes his daughter has run away?
This section contains 877 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)