|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Shylock say will happen if the duke does not uphold the contract between Shylock and Antonio?
(a) Contracts will be broken.
(b) The duke will be arrested.
(c) Business in Venice will suffer.
(d) Money will be lost.
2. What does Shylock accuse Solanio and Salarino of?
(a) Distracting him on his way home from dinner with Bassanio.
(b) Helping Jessica escape.
(c) Stealing his money.
(d) Tipping off Bassanio to sail in haste.
3. What is the name of the young lawyer who has come to Venice to help the Duke make a ruling on the case?
4. What does Bassanio give the young lawyer from Padua in return for his service to Antonio?
(a) His ring from Portia.
(b) The necklace Portia gave him.
(c) Half the owed debt.
(d) A deed to some of Portia's land.
5. What does Shylock say will happen to Jessica due to her betrayal?
(a) She will be sent to hell.
(b) She is disowned.
(c) She will be dishonored by the synogogue.
(d) She will be stripped of her title and her inheritance.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which casket does the second suitor choose?
2. Who does Portia leave in charge of her house when she leaves?
3. Why does Solanio say the duke will not uphold the law?
4. What is found inside the casket chosen by the second suitor to Portia while Bassanio is sailing there?
5. Why does Portia want Bassanio to wait to choose his casket?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Lorenzo praise Portia for after Bassanio leaves for Venice and how does Portia respond?
2. What does Portia tell Nerissa after they leave Belmont?
3. How does a servant describe the young Venetian suitor who arrives to woo Portia?
4. What is found in the silver casket and how does the Prince respond to this?
5. What does Shylock refuse to allow in the courtroom as Antonio gives his pound of flesh, and why?
6. What does Portia do when she finds out Bassanio gave his ring away, and how does Bassanio react to this?
7. What cheers Shylock while he is so upset about his daughter running away with a Christian?
8. Who is Shylock forced to deed his property to, and why is Portia so happy about this?
9. Where does Shylock want to search for his daughter, and why is he not able to?
10. Why is Launcelot so worried about Jessica, and what does he think her only hope is?
This section contains 828 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)