|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the Duke tell Shylock he expects Shylock to do?
(a) Become partners with Antonio.
(b) Lose all his busniess due to his ferocity.
(c) Remain cold and heartless.
(d) Relent and forgive Antonio at the last minute.
2. What is the name of the young lawyer who has come to Venice to help the Duke make a ruling on the case?
3. Why does Portia want Bassanio to wait to choose his casket?
(a) She feels it inappropriate to let him choose so soon.
(b) She wants him to get to know her better.
(c) He doesn't want him to choose incorrectly.
(d) She doesn't want him to choose correctly.
4. What is Nerissa disguised as while she is in Venice with Portia?
(a) A servant.
(b) A page boy.
(c) A merchant.
(d) A messenger.
5. Why is Shylock not able to search where he wants to for his missing daughter?
(a) Bassanio's ship has sailed.
(b) Antonio refuses to let Shylock enter his house.
(c) The masquerade is over.
(d) Lorenzo's house is empty.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Solanio say the duke will not uphold the law?
2. What about the lead box intrigues Bassanio?
3. What does Portia give Bassanio as a token of her love?
4. Where have some of Antonio's ships sunk?
5. Which casket does the second suitor choose?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Shylock forced to deed his property to, and why is Portia so happy about this?
2. Why is Antonio so certain that the Duke will uphold the contract between him and Shylock?
3. What does Shylock hope will happen before Antonio is made to pay his pound of flesh?
4. What announcement does Gratiano make after Bassanio chooses the correct casket?
5. What does Portia do when she finds out Bassanio gave his ring away, and how does Bassanio react to this?
6. Why is Shylock denied the money that Antonio first offered him in lieu of the pound of flesh?
7. Why are Salarino and Solanio so worried about Antonio when Shylock realizes his daughter has run away?
8. Why is Launcelot so worried about Jessica, and what does he think her only hope is?
9. What is found in the silver casket and how does the Prince respond to this?
10. What does Nerissa plan to get from her husband before returning to Belmont with Portia?
This section contains 838 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)