|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the letter that Portia gives to Antonio say?
(a) He is being summoned as a judge in Venice.
(b) His ships are all safe in port.
(c) He has inherited a great fortune.
(d) He is dismissed of all charges.
2. Why does the second suitor choose to forgo the gold casket?
(a) Portia is not smart enough.
(b) Portia is not rich enough.
(c) Portia is not kind enough.
(d) Portia is not beautiful enough.
3. Where is the second guest at Belmont from while Bassanio is sailing there?
4. Which casket does the second suitor choose?
(a) The jewel encrusted casket.
(b) The silver casket.
(c) The lead casket.
(d) The brass casket.
5. Why is Shylock not able to search where he wants to for his missing daughter?
(a) Antonio refuses to let Shylock enter his house.
(b) The masquerade is over.
(c) Lorenzo's house is empty.
(d) Bassanio's ship has sailed.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Antonio receive after Shylock is accused of threatening his life?
2. What does the young lawyer from Padua warn Shylock he must not take in addition to his pound of flesh?
3. What does Portia threaten to do when she hears Bassanio has given away his ring?
4. What does the Duke tell Shylock he expects Shylock to do?
5. How does the second suitor to Portia treat her while Bassanio is sailing there?
Short Essay Questions
1. What announcement does Gratiano make after Bassanio chooses the correct casket?
2. How does Antonio try to smooth things over when Portia hears that Bassanio gave his ring away?
3. Why are Salarino and Solanio so worried about Antonio when Shylock realizes his daughter has run away?
4. Why is Antonio so certain that the Duke will uphold the contract between him and Shylock?
5. What does Shylock tell Solanio and Salarino he will do with the pound of flesh he gets from Antonio, and why?
6. What cheers Shylock while he is so upset about his daughter running away with a Christian?
7. What does Lorenzo praise Portia for after Bassanio leaves for Venice and how does Portia respond?
8. Why is Launcelot so worried about Jessica, and what does he think her only hope is?
9. What does Shylock refuse to allow in the courtroom as Antonio gives his pound of flesh, and why?
10. Why is Shylock denied the money that Antonio first offered him in lieu of the pound of flesh?
This section contains 840 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)