|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Launcelot tell Jessica he is worried about her for?
(a) Her father will try to arrest her new husband.
(b) Her new husband will mistreat her.
(c) She may go to hell for the sins of her father.
(d) She was manipulated into her marriage.
2. Who is present when Shylock realizes his daughter is gone?
3. Who takes the disguised Nerissa to Shylock's house to collect his deed?
4. What does Bassanio give the young lawyer from Padua in return for his service to Antonio?
(a) A deed to some of Portia's land.
(b) His ring from Portia.
(c) Half the owed debt.
(d) The necklace Portia gave him.
5. What does the letter that Portia gives to Antonio say?
(a) He is being summoned as a judge in Venice.
(b) He is dismissed of all charges.
(c) He has inherited a great fortune.
(d) His ships are all safe in port.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does the second suitor choose to forgo the gold casket?
2. Why does Solanio say the duke will not uphold the law?
3. What does the young lawyer from Padua warn Shylock he must not take in addition to his pound of flesh?
4. What about the lead box intrigues Bassanio?
5. What does Portia make Lorenzo and Jessica promise when she returns from Venice?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Portia offer to do when they hear of Antonio's misfortune, and what does Jessica say about this plan?
2. What announcement does Gratiano make after Bassanio chooses the correct casket?
3. What does Portia do when she finds out Bassanio gave his ring away, and how does Bassanio react to this?
4. What cheers Shylock while he is so upset about his daughter running away with a Christian?
5. Where does Shylock want to search for his daughter, and why is he not able to?
6. What does Lorenzo ask Jessica about Portia, and how does she respond?
7. Who is Shylock forced to deed his property to, and why is Portia so happy about this?
8. What does Lorenzo praise Portia for after Bassanio leaves for Venice and how does Portia respond?
9. What does Portia tell Nerissa after they leave Belmont?
10. Why is Antonio so certain that the Duke will uphold the contract between him and Shylock?
This section contains 837 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)