|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Shylock say will happen to Jessica due to her betrayal?
(a) She will be sent to hell.
(b) She will be stripped of her title and her inheritance.
(c) She is disowned.
(d) She will be dishonored by the synogogue.
2. Where have some of Antonio's ships sunk?
(a) Off the coast of Africa.
(b) The straits of Gibraltar.
(c) The English Channel.
(d) In the Parisian harbor.
3. What does Portia tell Lorenzo she will do to help Bassanio in his quest?
(b) Give money.
(c) Ask favors of high ranking officials.
(d) Denounce her titles.
4. What does Portia threaten to do when she hears Bassanio has given away his ring?
(a) Find a new husband.
(b) Live in complete silence with him.
(c) Divorce him.
(d) Never visit his bed again.
5. Where does Shylock want to search for his missing daughter?
(a) Lorenzo's house.
(b) The masquerade.
(c) Bassanio's ship.
(d) Antonio's house.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is the second guest at Belmont from while Bassanio is sailing there?
2. Who is present when Shylock realizes his daughter is gone?
3. Why does the second suitor choose to forgo the gold casket?
4. What does Shylock accuse Solanio and Salarino of?
5. What is the name of the young lawyer who has come to Venice to help the Duke make a ruling on the case?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does a servant describe the young Venetian suitor who arrives to woo Portia?
2. What cheers Shylock while he is so upset about his daughter running away with a Christian?
3. What does Shylock hope will happen before Antonio is made to pay his pound of flesh?
4. What does Lorenzo ask Jessica about Portia, and how does she respond?
5. Where does Shylock want to search for his daughter, and why is he not able to?
6. How does Antonio try to smooth things over when Portia hears that Bassanio gave his ring away?
7. Why is Shylock denied the money that Antonio first offered him in lieu of the pound of flesh?
8. What does Portia tell Nerissa after they leave Belmont?
9. Why are Salarino and Solanio so worried about Antonio when Shylock realizes his daughter has run away?
10. What does Portia do when she finds out Bassanio gave his ring away, and how does Bassanio react to this?
This section contains 807 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)