|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Bassanio introduce Portia to when he returns to Belmont from Venice?
(d) The duke.
2. Why does Solanio say the duke will not uphold the law?
(a) He hates Jews.
(b) He does business with Antonio.
(c) It is too cruel.
(d) He is a fair ruler.
3. What does Nerissa plan to get from her husband before returning home with Portia?
(a) The ring she gave him.
(b) A lock of hair.
(c) The pendant around his neck.
(d) The deed to Shylock's house.
4. What does Antonio think Shylock hates him for while he is in prison?
(a) Helping people who hate Jews.
(b) Helping Jessica run away with Lorenzo.
(c) Not dealiing fairly with Shylock in the past.
(d) Loaning money to those who can't afford it.
5. Where does Portia's cousin live?
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Shylock plan to use the pound of flesh he will get from Antonio?
2. What occupation does Portia's cousin hold?
3. What does Portia offer to give to satisfy Antonio's debt to Shylock?
4. Where is the second guest at Belmont from while Bassanio is sailing there?
5. What does Launcelot do when he leaves the room after being scolded by Lorenzo at Portia's house?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is found in the silver casket and how does the Prince respond to this?
2. What does Lorenzo ask Jessica about Portia, and how does she respond?
3. Why is Shylock denied the money that Antonio first offered him in lieu of the pound of flesh?
4. Why is Launcelot so worried about Jessica, and what does he think her only hope is?
5. How does Antonio try to smooth things over when Portia hears that Bassanio gave his ring away?
6. What does Shylock tell Solanio and Salarino he will do with the pound of flesh he gets from Antonio, and why?
7. What does Shylock hope will happen before Antonio is made to pay his pound of flesh?
8. What does Lorenzo praise Portia for after Bassanio leaves for Venice and how does Portia respond?
9. What does Nerissa plan to get from her husband before returning to Belmont with Portia?
10. What cheers Shylock while he is so upset about his daughter running away with a Christian?
This section contains 777 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)