|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Shylock accuse Solanio and Salarino of?
(a) Helping Jessica escape.
(b) Distracting him on his way home from dinner with Bassanio.
(c) Stealing his money.
(d) Tipping off Bassanio to sail in haste.
2. Who do Jessica and Lorenzo pretend to be while they are left alone at Portia's house?
(b) Portia and Bassanio.
(c) Famous lovers.
3. How does Shylock plan to use the pound of flesh he will get from Antonio?
(a) Garden fertilizer.
(b) A trophy.
(d) Fish bait.
4. What does Portia plan to do with what she got from her husband while in Venice?
(a) Divorce him.
(b) Embarrass him.
(c) Forgive him.
(d) Demand an explanation from him.
5. What is Jessica's response to Launcelot's concern for her?
(a) She manipulated her husband into marriage.
(b) Her husband did nothing illegal.
(c) Her husband made her a Christian.
(d) No man could mistreat her worse than her father did.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Shylock petition for help when he sees that his daughter is gone?
2. Who does Bassanio introduce Portia to when he returns to Belmont from Venice?
3. Where have some of Antonio's ships sunk?
4. What does the letter that Portia gives to Antonio say?
5. What does Lorenzo praise Portia for after Bassanio leaves Belmont?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is found in the silver casket and how does the Prince respond to this?
2. What does Portia tell Nerissa after they leave Belmont?
3. How does a servant describe the young Venetian suitor who arrives to woo Portia?
4. What does Portia do when she finds out Bassanio gave his ring away, and how does Bassanio react to this?
5. Where does Shylock want to search for his daughter, and why is he not able to?
6. Why is Antonio so certain that the Duke will uphold the contract between him and Shylock?
7. Why is Shylock denied the money that Antonio first offered him in lieu of the pound of flesh?
8. Who is Shylock forced to deed his property to, and why is Portia so happy about this?
9. What does Shylock hope will happen before Antonio is made to pay his pound of flesh?
10. What does Shylock tell Solanio and Salarino he will do with the pound of flesh he gets from Antonio, and why?
This section contains 804 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)