|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Shylock petition for help when he sees that his daughter is gone?
(a) The duke.
(b) The king.
(c) The governor.
(d) The prince.
2. What did Jessica do with her mother's ring?
(a) Gave it to Antonio.
(b) Left it with her note to her father.
(c) Sold it for money.
(d) Stole it for her own wedding ring.
3. What about the lead box intrigues Bassanio?
(a) It has a strange and dull beauty to it.
(b) It seems so common.
(c) It looks well worn.
(d) It looks dangerous.
4. Who does Shylock say has never had sympathy for him?
(c) Any of the other merchants.
5. Who does Antonio plead for mercy from?
(b) The jailer.
(c) The duke.
Short Answer Questions
1. How much money did Jessica spend in one night?
2. What does the young lawyer from Padua warn Shylock he must not take in addition to his pound of flesh?
3. What is the name of the young lawyer who has come to Venice to help the Duke make a ruling on the case?
4. What is the title of the second guest at Belmont while Bassanio is sailing there?
5. Why has Bassanio left Portia just after winning the right to marry her?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Lorenzo praise Portia for after Bassanio leaves for Venice and how does Portia respond?
2. Where does Shylock want to search for his daughter, and why is he not able to?
3. What does Lorenzo ask Jessica about Portia, and how does she respond?
4. Why is Shylock denied the money that Antonio first offered him in lieu of the pound of flesh?
5. What does Nerissa plan to get from her husband before returning to Belmont with Portia?
6. How does a servant describe the young Venetian suitor who arrives to woo Portia?
7. What is found in the silver casket and how does the Prince respond to this?
8. Why is Launcelot so worried about Jessica, and what does he think her only hope is?
9. Who is Shylock forced to deed his property to, and why is Portia so happy about this?
10. What does Shylock hope will happen before Antonio is made to pay his pound of flesh?
This section contains 763 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)