|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where is the second guest at Belmont from while Bassanio is sailing there?
2. What does Launcelot tell Jessica he is worried about her for?
(a) She was manipulated into her marriage.
(b) She may go to hell for the sins of her father.
(c) Her new husband will mistreat her.
(d) Her father will try to arrest her new husband.
3. What does Bassanio give the young lawyer from Padua in return for his service to Antonio?
(a) A deed to some of Portia's land.
(b) Half the owed debt.
(c) His ring from Portia.
(d) The necklace Portia gave him.
4. Why has Bassanio left Portia just after winning the right to marry her?
(a) To prepare for the wedding.
(b) To prove his love for her.
(c) To help Antonio.
(d) To get his things.
5. Who does Portia leave in charge of her house when she leaves?
(a) Her servants.
(b) A suitor who arrived too late.
(d) Lorenzo and Jessica.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Antonio say he last saw Lorenzo?
2. What does Shylock say will happen if the duke does not uphold the contract between Shylock and Antonio?
3. What is Jessica's response to Launcelot's concern for her?
4. What does the letter that Portia gives to Antonio say?
5. What did Jessica do with her mother's ring?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where does Shylock want to search for his daughter, and why is he not able to?
2. What does Portia offer to do when they hear of Antonio's misfortune, and what does Jessica say about this plan?
3. What does Portia do when she finds out Bassanio gave his ring away, and how does Bassanio react to this?
4. How does Antonio try to smooth things over when Portia hears that Bassanio gave his ring away?
5. What does Lorenzo ask Jessica about Portia, and how does she respond?
6. Why is Shylock denied the money that Antonio first offered him in lieu of the pound of flesh?
7. How does a servant describe the young Venetian suitor who arrives to woo Portia?
8. What announcement does Gratiano make after Bassanio chooses the correct casket?
9. What does Shylock hope will happen before Antonio is made to pay his pound of flesh?
10. What does Shylock refuse to allow in the courtroom as Antonio gives his pound of flesh, and why?
This section contains 847 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)