|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who begs to travel with Bassanio on his journey before he leaves Venice?
2. What is Antony concerned about at the beginning of the play?
(a) His merchandise.
(b) A loan he just took out.
(c) His melancholy.
(d) His mother.
3. What does Shylock tell his daughter not to do on the night of the masquerade?
(a) Have visitors.
(b) Worry about him.
(c) Attend the ball.
(d) Look out the window.
4. What does Antonio compare life on this earth to?
(a) A book.
(b) A dream.
(c) A living legend.
(d) A staged play.
5. What does Bassanio ask the man he is getting the loan from to do in order to complete the loan process?
(a) Shake hands on the deal.
(b) Dine with him and Antonio.
(c) Sign a contract.
(d) Meet at Antonio's house.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Gratiano say most lovers really love?
2. Why does Gratiano not attend the masquerade?
3. Why would Shylock not approve of his daughter's choice in husband?
4. Who is a guest at Belmont while Bassanio is sailing for it?
5. Where is the person coming from whose arrival is announced at the end of the second scene?
Short Essay Questions
1. What has caused the interest rates on loans to go down in Venice?
2. What is Portia so upset about when she is first seen in this book?
3. What does Jessica say she hopes will happen as her father leaves the house on the night of the masquerade?
4. Where is Shylock going on the night of the masquerade, and why?
5. Who does Jessica say she is so sad to see leave, and why?
6. What must a suitor do in order to win Portia's hand in marriage?
7. What do the men discussing the masquerade say they need for the ball?
8. What does Lorenzo plan to do before the masquerade?
9. What is Bassanio's response to the men who want to travel with him when he leaves Venice?
10. How does Shylock react when he hears that Launcelot has chosen to find new employment with Bassanio?
This section contains 720 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)