|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Portia react when she sees what is in the casket chosen by the guest at Belmont?
(a) She thanks him for his good nature and bids him farewel..
(b) She joins in laughing about the joke.
(c) She is frightened by his anger.
(d) She is glad he chose wrong.
2. Why does Jessica return to her house before the masquerade?
(a) To leave a note for her father.
(b) To change her clothes.
(c) To find some more money.
(d) To lock it up.
3. Who does Bassiano take out a loan from?
4. What does Portia really not like about the Moroccan Prince?
(a) His reputation.
(b) His clothing.
(c) His dark skin.
(d) His ego.
5. What does Salarino think Antonio's sadness is about?
(b) His mother's sickness.
(c) Worry over his ships.
(d) Competiton in the market.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Launcelot want to work for?
2. How much interest is being charged on the loan to Bassanio?
3. What does the inscription on the lead casket say it holds?
4. What does the inscription on the gold casket say it holds?
5. What will the correct suitor find inside the correct item in order to win Portia's hand in marriage?
Short Essay Questions
1. Whose arrival is announced at the end of the second scene, and how is this news received?
2. Why does Shylock say it is so brave of Antonio to guarantee a loan for Bassanio at this time?
3. How does Antonio feel at the beginning of the play and why?
4. What does the Moroccan prince look like when he is first seen on stage?
5. What does Portia say to the Moroccan prince when he asks her to judge him by his beauty?
6. What is the consequence of a suitor for Portia's hand choosing the wrong chest?
7. Why does Launcelot want to leave Shylock as his master?
8. What do Salarino and Gratiano say about love while they is waiting for Lorenzo to arrive at the masquerade?
9. What does Gratiano say about Jessica after speaking with her for a time?
10. Where is Shylock going on the night of the masquerade, and why?
This section contains 723 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)