|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What has lowered the interest rates on loans in Venice?
(a) Unexpected poverty.
(c) Late payments.
(d) Generous lending.
2. What did one of Portia's suitors have too much fondness for?
(a) His horse.
(b) His money.
(c) His looks.
(d) Her lady in waiting.
3. What does Bassanio need to borrow from Antonio at the beginning of the book?
(a) A ship.
4. What does the inscription on the lead casket say it holds?
(a) What many men want.
(b) A joy beyond all measure.
(c) A risky investment.
(d) What he deserves.
5. Why does Gratiano say Jessica is not a true Jew?
(a) She is in love with a Christian.
(b) She is too nice.
(c) She eats pork.
(d) She is generous with her money.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Portia really not like about the Moroccan Prince?
2. What does the money lender want if the loan that Bassanio needs cannot be repaid?
3. What does Shylock tell his daughter not to do on the night of the masquerade?
4. Who does Launcelot want to work for?
5. Why has no suitor yet tried to choose one of the chests?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Lorenzo plan to do before the masquerade?
2. How does Shylock react when he hears that Launcelot has chosen to find new employment with Bassanio?
3. What does Shylock refuse to allow in the courtroom as Antonio gives his pound of flesh, and why?
4. What does Lorenzo praise Portia for after Bassanio leaves for Venice and how does Portia respond?
5. Why does Launcelot want to leave Shylock as his master?
6. Which casket does the Prince of Morocco choose, and what is found inside it?
7. What is found in the silver casket and how does the Prince respond to this?
8. What does Portia offer to do when they hear of Antonio's misfortune, and what does Jessica say about this plan?
9. How does Antonio feel at the beginning of the play and why?
10. What cheers Shylock while he is so upset about his daughter running away with a Christian?
This section contains 726 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)