|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Bassano demand of the man who begs to go on the journey with Bassanio?
(a) Half the cost of using the ship.
(b) A contract.
(c) His cooking skills.
(d) His best behavior.
2. Who does Launcelot tell Jessica is coming the night of the masquerade?
(a) A Christian.
(b) A man in love.
(c) A masked man.
(d) A Jew.
3. Why has no suitor yet tried to choose one of the chests?
(a) They only wanted a free trip, not a real bride.
(b) Portia's dowry is insufficient.
(c) They will not be allowed to ever marry if they choose incorrectly.
(d) They realize that Portia is not as rich as they thought.
4. What does The Moroccan Prince think Portia does not like about him?
(a) His reputation.
(b) His ego.
(c) His clothing.
(d) His dark skin.
5. What is the name of Shylock's daughter?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who of the following is not a merchant in Venice?
2. What does the Moroccan want Portia to judge him by?
3. What does Bassanio need to borrow from Antonio at the beginning of the book?
4. Why has Shylock chosen to dine where he is on the night of the masquerade?
5. Who does Shylock's daughter ask to deliver the letter she writes just before Bassanio leaves Venice?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where is Shylock going on the night of the masquerade, and why?
2. What does Shylock ask for if Antonio defaults on the loan for Bassanio?
3. What does Jessica say she hopes will happen as her father leaves the house on the night of the masquerade?
4. Why does Shylock say it is so brave of Antonio to guarantee a loan for Bassanio at this time?
5. Who does Jessica want to marry, and why would her father oppose of this?
6. How has Portia felt about some of her past suitors?
7. What and how does Antonio compare life on earth to while he is speaking to Gratiano?
8. What must a suitor do in order to win Portia's hand in marriage?
9. What do the inscriptions on each of the caskets say?
10. What does Launcelot do when he sees his father on the streets?
This section contains 760 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)