|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Bassanio in love with?
2. What reason does the guest at Belmont give for his choice of caskets?
(a) He knows many men have wooed Portia.
(b) He feels he deserves Portia's hand in marriage.
(c) He wants joy more than money.
(d) He is willing to risk all to have Portia.
3. What does the Moroccan prince beg Portia not to judge him by?
(a) His riches.
(b) His speech.
(c) His reputation.
(d) His dark skin.
4. What is Jessica so annoyed about when she arrives at the masquerade?
(a) She is not yet married.
(b) She is dressed as a boy.
(c) She is not disguised enough to fool her father.
(d) She could not find her father's cash box.
5. What does Lorenzo say he will be doing on the night of the masquerade?
(a) He will be running away with Jessica.
(b) He hates dances.
(c) He feels that he is falling ill.
(d) He has decided to sail with Bassanio.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Shylock tell Launcelot he will not receive while working for his new master?
2. What will the correct suitor find inside the correct item in order to win Portia's hand in marriage?
3. Why does Shylock hate Antonio?
4. Who does Shylock's daughter ask to deliver the letter she writes just before Bassanio leaves Venice?
5. Who is meant to pick a husband for Portia?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Portia say to the Moroccan prince when he asks her to judge him by his beauty?
2. How did Portia feel when the Prince of Morocco chose the wrong Casket?
3. Who does Jessica want to marry, and why would her father oppose of this?
4. Why does Shylock say it is so brave of Antonio to guarantee a loan for Bassanio at this time?
5. What do the men discussing the masquerade say they need for the ball?
6. How does Jessica look when she arrives at the masquerade?
7. What has caused the interest rates on loans to go down in Venice?
8. What does the Moroccan prince think is causing Portia's reserved and quiet reaction to him?
9. Why does Launcelot want to leave Shylock as his master?
10. How does Antonio feel at the beginning of the play and why?
This section contains 739 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)