|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was one of Portia's suitors addicted to?
2. Where is Bassanio heading to after speaking with Gratiano?
3. What does the money lender want if the loan that Bassanio needs cannot be repaid?
(a) A portion of Antonio's company.
(b) A pound of flesh.
(c) A promise that Antonio will never touch his daughter.
(d) A signed deed of Antnio's land.
4. What is Antony concerned about at the beginning of the play?
(a) His mother.
(b) His merchandise.
(c) A loan he just took out.
(d) His melancholy.
5. Why does the money lender refuse to complete the loan process in the way Bassanio suggests?
(a) He refuses to sign anything until he sees proof of the guarantee.
(b) He puts no credence into a handshake.
(c) There will be pork at the table.
(d) He hates Antonio.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the Moroccan prince beg Portia not to judge him by?
2. Who is the first person to attempt choosing one of the chests?
3. What does The Moroccan Prince think Portia does not like about him?
4. What is the name of Shylock's daughter?
5. What is the guest at Belmont doing while Bassanio is sailing there?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Bassanio's response to the men who want to travel with him when he leaves Venice?
2. Who is Bassanio in love with, and what must he do to woo her?
3. Who does Jessica say she is so sad to see leave, and why?
4. What is the consequence of a suitor for Portia's hand choosing the wrong chest?
5. What does Bassanio ask of Antonio when they first meet in this play and how does Antonio respond?
6. What does Jessica say she hopes will happen as her father leaves the house on the night of the masquerade?
7. What does the letter Jessica wrote to Lorenzo say?
8. What does Launcelot do when he sees his father on the streets?
9. Whose arrival is announced at the end of the second scene, and how is this news received?
10. What do the men discussing the masquerade say they need for the ball?
This section contains 710 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)