|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Antonio ask Bassanio about when they are left alone at the beginning of the play?
(a) Who he loves.
(b) Where he is going.
(c) How long he will be in town.
(d) How his father has been.
2. What does Bassanio need to borrow from Antonio at the beginning of the book?
(b) A ship.
3. What religion does Shylock follow?
4. Why does Bassanio need to borrow something from Antonio at the beginning of the book?
(a) To reach his home.
(b) To hide his identity.
(c) To woo a woman.
(d) To save some time.
5. Who does Lorenzo love?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Launcelot's father's name?
2. What has lowered the interest rates on loans in Venice?
3. Which of these is NOT a fault Portia saw in some of her past suitors?
4. Why does Launcelot think his master is a devil?
5. Which casket does the guest at Belmont choose while Bassanio is sailing there?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Launcelot want to leave Shylock as his master?
2. What does Shylock ask for if Antonio defaults on the loan for Bassanio?
3. What do the inscriptions on each of the caskets say?
4. Who does Jessica say she is so sad to see leave, and why?
5. What is the consequence of a suitor for Portia's hand choosing the wrong chest?
6. Whose arrival is announced at the end of the second scene, and how is this news received?
7. Why does Shylock hate Antonio?
8. What announcement does Gratiano make after Bassanio chooses the correct casket?
9. What does Shylock hope will happen before Antonio is made to pay his pound of flesh?
10. How does Antonio try to smooth things over when Portia hears that Bassanio gave his ring away?
This section contains 660 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)