|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the young lawyer from Padua warn Shylock he must not take in addition to his pound of flesh?
(a) Antonio's life.
(b) One ounce over a pound.
2. What is the name of the young lawyer who has come to Venice to help the Duke make a ruling on the case?
3. What does Antonio think Shylock hates him for while he is in prison?
(a) Not dealiing fairly with Shylock in the past.
(b) Loaning money to those who can't afford it.
(c) Helping Jessica run away with Lorenzo.
(d) Helping people who hate Jews.
4. What does Shylock say will happen to Jessica due to her betrayal?
(a) She will be stripped of her title and her inheritance.
(b) She will be dishonored by the synogogue.
(c) She is disowned.
(d) She will be sent to hell.
5. Which casket does Bassanio choose?
6. What does Portia make Lorenzo and Jessica promise when she returns from Venice?
(a) Refuse to talk to Bassanio when he arrives.
(b) Ask Bassanio where his ring is.
(c) Not tell Bassanio that she ever left.
(d) Tell Bassanio that she is still at the monastery.
7. Who does Shylock petition for help when he sees that his daughter is gone?
(a) The king.
(b) The governor.
(c) The prince.
(d) The duke.
8. What does Nerissa plan to get from her husband before returning home with Portia?
(a) The pendant around his neck.
(b) The deed to Shylock's house.
(c) A lock of hair.
(d) The ring she gave him.
9. Why does Portia want Bassanio to wait to choose his casket?
(a) She wants him to get to know her better.
(b) She doesn't want him to choose correctly.
(c) She feels it inappropriate to let him choose so soon.
(d) He doesn't want him to choose incorrectly.
10. What does Launcelot do when he leaves the room after being scolded by Lorenzo at Portia's house?
(a) Writes a letter to Bassanio.
(b) Packs his bags.
(c) Flirts with the Moorish servant.
(d) Sets the table.
11. What does Portia offer to give to satisfy Antonio's debt to Shylock?
(a) 2 times the debt.
(b) 20 times the debt.
(c) A title of nobility and some land.
(d) A casket ful of jewels.
12. Who is dressed up as the young lawyer frm Padua?
13. What does Portia threaten to do when she hears Bassanio has given away his ring?
(a) Find a new husband.
(b) Never visit his bed again.
(c) Divorce him.
(d) Live in complete silence with him.
14. Why is Shylock not able to search where he wants to for his missing daughter?
(a) The masquerade is over.
(b) Bassanio's ship has sailed.
(c) Antonio refuses to let Shylock enter his house.
(d) Lorenzo's house is empty.
15. Who does Nerissa marry?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the title of the second guest at Belmont while Bassanio is sailing there?
2. Who does Bassanio introduce Portia to when he returns to Belmont from Venice?
3. Who does Antonio plead for mercy from?
4. What is Nerissa disguised as while she is in Venice with Portia?
5. What does Shylock warn the jailer not to do?
This section contains 537 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)