|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does the second suitor to Portia treat her while Bassanio is sailing there?
(a) He is ignorant and slow.
(b) He is timid and careful.
(c) He is insulting and arrogant.
(d) He is kind and thoughtful.
2. What occupation does Portia's cousin hold?
3. Who does Antonio plead for mercy from?
(a) The duke.
(b) The jailer.
4. Who is present when Shylock realizes his daughter is gone?
5. What does Portia make Lorenzo and Jessica promise when she returns from Venice?
(a) Tell Bassanio that she is still at the monastery.
(b) Refuse to talk to Bassanio when he arrives.
(c) Ask Bassanio where his ring is.
(d) Not tell Bassanio that she ever left.
6. What does Portia offer to give to satisfy Antonio's debt to Shylock?
(a) A title of nobility and some land.
(b) 2 times the debt.
(c) 20 times the debt.
(d) A casket ful of jewels.
7. Who is Shylock forced to deed his house to?
(a) Lorenzo and Jessica.
(b) The Duke.
(d) Portia and Bassanio.
8. What does Lorenzo praise Portia for after Bassanio leaves Belmont?
(a) Her beauty.
(b) Her strength of character.
(c) Her patience.
(d) Her love.
9. What is Jessica's response to Launcelot's concern for her?
(a) Her husband made her a Christian.
(b) Her husband did nothing illegal.
(c) No man could mistreat her worse than her father did.
(d) She manipulated her husband into marriage.
10. Why has Bassanio left Portia just after winning the right to marry her?
(a) To prepare for the wedding.
(b) To get his things.
(c) To help Antonio.
(d) To prove his love for her.
11. What does Launcelot tell Jessica he is worried about her for?
(a) She may go to hell for the sins of her father.
(b) Her new husband will mistreat her.
(c) She was manipulated into her marriage.
(d) Her father will try to arrest her new husband.
12. Who does Portia leave in charge of her house when she leaves?
(b) A suitor who arrived too late.
(c) Her servants.
(d) Lorenzo and Jessica.
13. Who announces to Lorenzo that Bassanio is expected home soon?
(c) A servant.
14. Which casket does the second suitor choose?
(a) The silver casket.
(b) The jewel encrusted casket.
(c) The lead casket.
(d) The brass casket.
15. Which casket does Bassanio choose?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Portia plan to do with what she got from her husband while in Venice?
2. What does Shylock warn the jailer not to do?
3. What is found inside the casket chosen by the second suitor to Portia while Bassanio is sailing there?
4. Who takes the disguised Nerissa to Shylock's house to collect his deed?
5. Who does Shylock say has never had sympathy for him?
This section contains 489 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)