|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is dressed up as the young lawyer frm Padua?
2. Why does the second suitor choose to forgo the gold casket?
(a) Portia is not kind enough.
(b) Portia is not beautiful enough.
(c) Portia is not smart enough.
(d) Portia is not rich enough.
3. What does Bassanio give the young lawyer from Padua in return for his service to Antonio?
(a) His ring from Portia.
(b) Half the owed debt.
(c) The necklace Portia gave him.
(d) A deed to some of Portia's land.
4. Where have some of Antonio's ships sunk?
(a) Off the coast of Africa.
(b) In the Parisian harbor.
(c) The English Channel.
(d) The straits of Gibraltar.
5. What is the title of the second guest at Belmont while Bassanio is sailing there?
6. Who does Antonio plead for mercy from?
(b) The jailer.
(d) The duke.
7. What does Nerissa plan to get from her husband before returning home with Portia?
(a) The deed to Shylock's house.
(b) The ring she gave him.
(c) A lock of hair.
(d) The pendant around his neck.
8. What does Portia request while Bassanio is choosing his casket?
(a) That he wait an hour.
(b) That lunch be served.
(c) That music be played.
(d) That he let her read the inscriptions to him.
9. What does Lorenzo scold Launcelot for while Portia is away from her house?
(a) Trying to smuggle some of Portia's goblets in his baggage.
(b) Scaring Jessica with his talk of hell-fire.
(c) Getting a Moorish servant pregnant.
(d) Eating all the food.
10. Who does Bassanio introduce Portia to when he returns to Belmont from Venice?
(c) The duke.
11. Who is present when Shylock realizes his daughter is gone?
12. What does Portia threaten to do when she hears Bassanio has given away his ring?
(a) Never visit his bed again.
(b) Find a new husband.
(c) Live in complete silence with him.
(d) Divorce him.
13. What is found inside the casket chosen by the second suitor to Portia while Bassanio is sailing there?
(a) A picture of a fool and a poem.
(b) A sack of jewels.
(c) A skull and a poem.
(d) A picture of Portia.
14. How does the second suitor to Portia treat her while Bassanio is sailing there?
(a) He is insulting and arrogant.
(b) He is ignorant and slow.
(c) He is timid and careful.
(d) He is kind and thoughtful.
15. What does Launcelot blame the rise of bacon on?
(a) Jews not eating pork.
(b) Jews being converted.
(c) Shipments of pork getting shipwrecked.
(d) Bacon coming into a trend.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the Duke tell Shylock he expects Shylock to do?
2. What did Jessica do with her mother's ring?
3. Who takes the disguised Nerissa to Shylock's house to collect his deed?
4. Why is Shylock not able to search where he wants to for his missing daughter?
5. Why is Antonio sad when Shylock has realized his daughter is gone?
This section contains 553 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)