|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Solanio say the duke will not uphold the law?
(a) He is a fair ruler.
(b) It is too cruel.
(c) He hates Jews.
(d) He does business with Antonio.
2. What is the title of the second guest at Belmont while Bassanio is sailing there?
3. Why is Antonio sad when Shylock has realized his daughter is gone?
(a) He misses Bassanio.
(b) He is in love with Jessica.
(c) He is sad for Shylock's loss.
(d) He heard about his wrecked ships.
4. Why does Portia want Bassanio to wait to choose his casket?
(a) She feels it inappropriate to let him choose so soon.
(b) He doesn't want him to choose incorrectly.
(c) She wants him to get to know her better.
(d) She doesn't want him to choose correctly.
5. What does Portia plan to do with what she got from her husband while in Venice?
(a) Demand an explanation from him.
(b) Divorce him.
(c) Embarrass him.
(d) Forgive him.
6. Who do Jessica and Lorenzo pretend to be while they are left alone at Portia's house?
(b) Portia and Bassanio.
(d) Famous lovers.
7. What occupation does Portia's cousin hold?
8. What does Shylock say will happen to Jessica due to her betrayal?
(a) She is disowned.
(b) She will be dishonored by the synogogue.
(c) She will be stripped of her title and her inheritance.
(d) She will be sent to hell.
9. Who is Shylock forced to deed his house to?
(a) Lorenzo and Jessica.
(b) The Duke.
(d) Portia and Bassanio.
10. What does Portia give Bassanio as a token of her love?
(a) A crown.
(b) A book.
(c) A necklace.
(d) A ring.
11. Where does Shylock want to search for his missing daughter?
(a) Lorenzo's house.
(b) Antonio's house.
(c) Bassanio's ship.
(d) The masquerade.
12. Why is Shylock not able to search where he wants to for his missing daughter?
(a) Bassanio's ship has sailed.
(b) Antonio refuses to let Shylock enter his house.
(c) Lorenzo's house is empty.
(d) The masquerade is over.
13. What does Shylock accuse Solanio and Salarino of?
(a) Tipping off Bassanio to sail in haste.
(b) Stealing his money.
(c) Helping Jessica escape.
(d) Distracting him on his way home from dinner with Bassanio.
14. What does Shylock warn the jailer not to do?
(a) Be a witness for Antonio's case.
(b) Be sympathetic towards Antonio.
(c) Divulge information to Antonio.
(d) Forget who he is working for.
15. What does Portia threaten to do when she hears Bassanio has given away his ring?
(a) Find a new husband.
(b) Divorce him.
(c) Live in complete silence with him.
(d) Never visit his bed again.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Shylock petition for help when he sees that his daughter is gone?
2. Who takes the disguised Nerissa to Shylock's house to collect his deed?
3. What does Bassanio give the young lawyer from Padua in return for his service to Antonio?
4. Who announces to Lorenzo that Bassanio is expected home soon?
5. What does Antonio think Shylock hates him for while he is in prison?
This section contains 533 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)