|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Portia request while Bassanio is choosing his casket?
(a) That he let her read the inscriptions to him.
(b) That he wait an hour.
(c) That music be played.
(d) That lunch be served.
2. What is the title of the second guest at Belmont while Bassanio is sailing there?
3. Who does Bassanio introduce Portia to when he returns to Belmont from Venice?
(d) The duke.
4. Why does Solanio say the duke will not uphold the law?
(a) He hates Jews.
(b) It is too cruel.
(c) He does business with Antonio.
(d) He is a fair ruler.
5. Who is Shylock forced to deed his house to?
(a) The Duke.
(b) Lorenzo and Jessica.
(c) Portia and Bassanio.
6. What does Jessica say about Portia when Lorenzo asks her what she thinks of Portia?
(a) She is proud.
(b) She is virtuous.
(c) She is beautiful.
(d) She is intelligent.
7. Where is the second guest at Belmont from while Bassanio is sailing there?
8. What does Lorenzo praise Portia for after Bassanio leaves Belmont?
(a) Her beauty.
(b) Her patience.
(c) Her love.
(d) Her strength of character.
9. Who announces to Lorenzo that Bassanio is expected home soon?
(b) A servant.
10. What does Launcelot blame the rise of bacon on?
(a) Bacon coming into a trend.
(b) Shipments of pork getting shipwrecked.
(c) Jews not eating pork.
(d) Jews being converted.
11. Who is present when Shylock realizes his daughter is gone?
12. How much money did Jessica spend in one night?
(a) 8 ducats.
(b) 80 ducats.
(c) 8000 ducats.
(d) 800 ducats.
13. What does Launcelot do when he leaves the room after being scolded by Lorenzo at Portia's house?
(a) Flirts with the Moorish servant.
(b) Sets the table.
(c) Packs his bags.
(d) Writes a letter to Bassanio.
14. Who does Shylock petition for help when he sees that his daughter is gone?
(a) The governor.
(b) The prince.
(c) The duke.
(d) The king.
15. What does Antonio think Shylock hates him for while he is in prison?
(a) Not dealiing fairly with Shylock in the past.
(b) Helping people who hate Jews.
(c) Loaning money to those who can't afford it.
(d) Helping Jessica run away with Lorenzo.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Shylock say will happen to Jessica due to her betrayal?
2. What occupation does Portia's cousin hold?
3. Who does Antonio plead for mercy from?
4. What does Bassanio give the young lawyer from Padua in return for his service to Antonio?
5. What does Portia threaten to do when she hears Bassanio has given away his ring?
This section contains 471 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)