|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What about the lead box intrigues Bassanio?
(a) It has a strange and dull beauty to it.
(b) It seems so common.
(c) It looks well worn.
(d) It looks dangerous.
2. Where does Antonio say he last saw Lorenzo?
(a) In the marketplace.
(b) On a gondola.
(c) In Bassanio's ship.
(d) At the masquerade.
3. How much money did Jessica spend in one night?
(a) 800 ducats.
(b) 8000 ducats.
(c) 8 ducats.
(d) 80 ducats.
4. What is the name of the young lawyer who has come to Venice to help the Duke make a ruling on the case?
5. What does the young lawyer from Padua warn Shylock he must not take in addition to his pound of flesh?
(a) Antonio's life.
(b) One ounce over a pound.
6. Who takes the disguised Nerissa to Shylock's house to collect his deed?
7. What does Lorenzo scold Launcelot for while Portia is away from her house?
(a) Scaring Jessica with his talk of hell-fire.
(b) Eating all the food.
(c) Getting a Moorish servant pregnant.
(d) Trying to smuggle some of Portia's goblets in his baggage.
8. Who is present when Shylock realizes his daughter is gone?
9. What does Portia request while Bassanio is choosing his casket?
(a) That lunch be served.
(b) That he wait an hour.
(c) That music be played.
(d) That he let her read the inscriptions to him.
10. Why does Solanio say the duke will not uphold the law?
(a) He does business with Antonio.
(b) He is a fair ruler.
(c) It is too cruel.
(d) He hates Jews.
11. What does Bassanio give the young lawyer from Padua in return for his service to Antonio?
(a) The necklace Portia gave him.
(b) Half the owed debt.
(c) His ring from Portia.
(d) A deed to some of Portia's land.
12. Which casket does Bassanio choose?
13. What does Launcelot tell Jessica he is worried about her for?
(a) Her new husband will mistreat her.
(b) Her father will try to arrest her new husband.
(c) She may go to hell for the sins of her father.
(d) She was manipulated into her marriage.
14. What does Portia plan to do with what she got from her husband while in Venice?
(a) Forgive him.
(b) Divorce him.
(c) Embarrass him.
(d) Demand an explanation from him.
15. Which casket does the second suitor choose?
(a) The lead casket.
(b) The brass casket.
(c) The silver casket.
(d) The jewel encrusted casket.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is dressed up as the young lawyer frm Padua?
2. What does Lorenzo praise Portia for after Bassanio leaves Belmont?
3. Who does Shylock petition for help when he sees that his daughter is gone?
4. Why is Shylock not able to search where he wants to for his missing daughter?
5. Who does Bassanio introduce Portia to when he returns to Belmont from Venice?
This section contains 489 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)