|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Launcelot tell Jessica he is worried about her for?
(a) She may go to hell for the sins of her father.
(b) Her father will try to arrest her new husband.
(c) Her new husband will mistreat her.
(d) She was manipulated into her marriage.
2. Which casket does the second suitor choose?
(a) The lead casket.
(b) The silver casket.
(c) The jewel encrusted casket.
(d) The brass casket.
3. What does Portia request while Bassanio is choosing his casket?
(a) That he let her read the inscriptions to him.
(b) That lunch be served.
(c) That he wait an hour.
(d) That music be played.
4. Why does the second suitor choose to forgo the gold casket?
(a) Portia is not rich enough.
(b) Portia is not kind enough.
(c) Portia is not smart enough.
(d) Portia is not beautiful enough.
5. Where does Shylock want to search for his missing daughter?
(a) Bassanio's ship.
(b) The masquerade.
(c) Antonio's house.
(d) Lorenzo's house.
6. Where does Antonio say he last saw Lorenzo?
(a) On a gondola.
(b) At the masquerade.
(c) In the marketplace.
(d) In Bassanio's ship.
7. Why does Portia want Bassanio to wait to choose his casket?
(a) She wants him to get to know her better.
(b) She doesn't want him to choose correctly.
(c) He doesn't want him to choose incorrectly.
(d) She feels it inappropriate to let him choose so soon.
8. What is the name of the young lawyer who has come to Venice to help the Duke make a ruling on the case?
9. What does Portia tell Lorenzo she will do to help Bassanio in his quest?
(a) Denounce her titles.
(b) Give money.
(d) Ask favors of high ranking officials.
10. Who does Nerissa marry?
11. Who is dressed up as the young lawyer frm Padua?
12. Where have some of Antonio's ships sunk?
(a) In the Parisian harbor.
(b) The straits of Gibraltar.
(c) Off the coast of Africa.
(d) The English Channel.
13. Why is Antonio sad when Shylock has realized his daughter is gone?
(a) He is sad for Shylock's loss.
(b) He misses Bassanio.
(c) He is in love with Jessica.
(d) He heard about his wrecked ships.
14. Who takes the disguised Nerissa to Shylock's house to collect his deed?
15. Where does Portia's cousin live?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Shylock petition for help when he sees that his daughter is gone?
2. Who announces to Lorenzo that Bassanio is expected home soon?
3. What does Portia make Lorenzo and Jessica promise when she returns from Venice?
4. What does Portia offer to give to satisfy Antonio's debt to Shylock?
5. What does Shylock say will happen to Jessica due to her betrayal?
This section contains 512 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)