|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Jessica say about Portia when Lorenzo asks her what she thinks of Portia?
(a) She is intelligent.
(b) She is proud.
(c) She is virtuous.
(d) She is beautiful.
2. Which casket does the second suitor choose?
(a) The brass casket.
(b) The lead casket.
(c) The jewel encrusted casket.
(d) The silver casket.
3. What does Lorenzo praise Portia for after Bassanio leaves Belmont?
(a) Her beauty.
(b) Her strength of character.
(c) Her patience.
(d) Her love.
4. Where does Portia's cousin live?
5. Why does Solanio say the duke will not uphold the law?
(a) He hates Jews.
(b) He is a fair ruler.
(c) It is too cruel.
(d) He does business with Antonio.
6. What is found inside the casket chosen by the second suitor to Portia while Bassanio is sailing there?
(a) A picture of Portia.
(b) A skull and a poem.
(c) A sack of jewels.
(d) A picture of a fool and a poem.
7. What does Shylock accuse Solanio and Salarino of?
(a) Stealing his money.
(b) Helping Jessica escape.
(c) Tipping off Bassanio to sail in haste.
(d) Distracting him on his way home from dinner with Bassanio.
8. What does Antonio think Shylock hates him for while he is in prison?
(a) Loaning money to those who can't afford it.
(b) Not dealiing fairly with Shylock in the past.
(c) Helping Jessica run away with Lorenzo.
(d) Helping people who hate Jews.
9. How does the second suitor to Portia treat her while Bassanio is sailing there?
(a) He is timid and careful.
(b) He is insulting and arrogant.
(c) He is ignorant and slow.
(d) He is kind and thoughtful.
10. Who takes the disguised Nerissa to Shylock's house to collect his deed?
11. Who does Portia leave in charge of her house when she leaves?
(a) Lorenzo and Jessica.
(b) Her servants.
(c) A suitor who arrived too late.
12. What does Portia give Bassanio as a token of her love?
(a) A ring.
(b) A necklace.
(c) A book.
(d) A crown.
13. Who is present when Shylock realizes his daughter is gone?
14. What occupation does Portia's cousin hold?
15. What does Portia offer to give to satisfy Antonio's debt to Shylock?
(a) A casket ful of jewels.
(b) 20 times the debt.
(c) A title of nobility and some land.
(d) 2 times the debt.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the letter that Portia gives to Antonio say?
2. What does Launcelot tell Jessica he is worried about her for?
3. Why does Portia want Bassanio to wait to choose his casket?
4. What is Nerissa disguised as while she is in Venice with Portia?
5. What does Portia make Lorenzo and Jessica promise when she returns from Venice?
This section contains 550 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)