|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What occupation does Portia's cousin hold?
2. Where does Antonio say he last saw Lorenzo?
(a) In Bassanio's ship.
(b) In the marketplace.
(c) At the masquerade.
(d) On a gondola.
3. Who do Jessica and Lorenzo pretend to be while they are left alone at Portia's house?
(a) Famous lovers.
(d) Portia and Bassanio.
4. What does Portia request while Bassanio is choosing his casket?
(a) That he wait an hour.
(b) That he let her read the inscriptions to him.
(c) That lunch be served.
(d) That music be played.
5. What does Shylock accuse Solanio and Salarino of?
(a) Helping Jessica escape.
(b) Stealing his money.
(c) Tipping off Bassanio to sail in haste.
(d) Distracting him on his way home from dinner with Bassanio.
6. Why has Bassanio left Portia just after winning the right to marry her?
(a) To get his things.
(b) To prepare for the wedding.
(c) To prove his love for her.
(d) To help Antonio.
7. What does Shylock say will happen if the duke does not uphold the contract between Shylock and Antonio?
(a) The duke will be arrested.
(b) Contracts will be broken.
(c) Business in Venice will suffer.
(d) Money will be lost.
8. What does Nerissa plan to get from her husband before returning home with Portia?
(a) A lock of hair.
(b) The ring she gave him.
(c) The deed to Shylock's house.
(d) The pendant around his neck.
9. What does Launcelot blame the rise of bacon on?
(a) Shipments of pork getting shipwrecked.
(b) Jews not eating pork.
(c) Bacon coming into a trend.
(d) Jews being converted.
10. What is Nerissa disguised as while she is in Venice with Portia?
(a) A page boy.
(b) A messenger.
(c) A merchant.
(d) A servant.
11. What does Antonio receive after Shylock is accused of threatening his life?
(a) Half of Shylock's estate.
(b) All of Shylock's assets.
(c) The satisfation of seeing Shylock taken to jail.
(d) Twice the debt owed to Shylock.
12. What does Portia offer to give to satisfy Antonio's debt to Shylock?
(a) 20 times the debt.
(b) A title of nobility and some land.
(c) A casket ful of jewels.
(d) 2 times the debt.
13. What does the young lawyer from Padua warn Shylock he must not take in addition to his pound of flesh?
(b) One ounce over a pound.
(d) Antonio's life.
14. Who does Nerissa marry?
15. What is Jessica's response to Launcelot's concern for her?
(a) Her husband did nothing illegal.
(b) Her husband made her a Christian.
(c) She manipulated her husband into marriage.
(d) No man could mistreat her worse than her father did.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Shylock petition for help when he sees that his daughter is gone?
2. Which casket does Bassanio choose?
3. What does Bassanio give the young lawyer from Padua in return for his service to Antonio?
4. Who is present when Shylock realizes his daughter is gone?
5. What does Shylock say will happen to Jessica due to her betrayal?
This section contains 519 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)