|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Antonio sad when Shylock has realized his daughter is gone?
(a) He heard about his wrecked ships.
(b) He is in love with Jessica.
(c) He misses Bassanio.
(d) He is sad for Shylock's loss.
2. Who does Shylock say has never had sympathy for him?
(d) Any of the other merchants.
3. Where does Portia's cousin live?
4. What does Portia offer to give to satisfy Antonio's debt to Shylock?
(a) 2 times the debt.
(b) A title of nobility and some land.
(c) 20 times the debt.
(d) A casket ful of jewels.
5. What does the Duke tell Shylock he expects Shylock to do?
(a) Remain cold and heartless.
(b) Lose all his busniess due to his ferocity.
(c) Relent and forgive Antonio at the last minute.
(d) Become partners with Antonio.
6. Who is dressed up as the young lawyer frm Padua?
7. Where have some of Antonio's ships sunk?
(a) Off the coast of Africa.
(b) The English Channel.
(c) The straits of Gibraltar.
(d) In the Parisian harbor.
8. Who does Portia leave in charge of her house when she leaves?
(a) Her servants.
(c) A suitor who arrived too late.
(d) Lorenzo and Jessica.
9. What is found inside the casket chosen by the second suitor to Portia while Bassanio is sailing there?
(a) A picture of Portia.
(b) A sack of jewels.
(c) A skull and a poem.
(d) A picture of a fool and a poem.
10. Why does the second suitor choose to forgo the gold casket?
(a) Portia is not kind enough.
(b) Portia is not smart enough.
(c) Portia is not rich enough.
(d) Portia is not beautiful enough.
11. What is Nerissa disguised as while she is in Venice with Portia?
(a) A merchant.
(b) A servant.
(c) A page boy.
(d) A messenger.
12. What is the title of the second guest at Belmont while Bassanio is sailing there?
13. What about the lead box intrigues Bassanio?
(a) It has a strange and dull beauty to it.
(b) It looks well worn.
(c) It looks dangerous.
(d) It seems so common.
14. What does Launcelot blame the rise of bacon on?
(a) Jews being converted.
(b) Jews not eating pork.
(c) Bacon coming into a trend.
(d) Shipments of pork getting shipwrecked.
15. What is the name of the young lawyer who has come to Venice to help the Duke make a ruling on the case?
Short Answer Questions
1. How much money did Jessica spend in one night?
2. Where does Shylock want to search for his missing daughter?
3. Which casket does Bassanio choose?
4. What does Antonio think Shylock hates him for while he is in prison?
5. What does Portia plan to do with what she got from her husband while in Venice?
This section contains 483 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)