|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Portia want Bassanio to wait to choose his casket?
(a) She doesn't want him to choose correctly.
(b) She wants him to get to know her better.
(c) She feels it inappropriate to let him choose so soon.
(d) He doesn't want him to choose incorrectly.
2. What does Shylock accuse Solanio and Salarino of?
(a) Stealing his money.
(b) Tipping off Bassanio to sail in haste.
(c) Distracting him on his way home from dinner with Bassanio.
(d) Helping Jessica escape.
3. What does Portia tell Lorenzo she will do to help Bassanio in his quest?
(b) Denounce her titles.
(c) Ask favors of high ranking officials.
(d) Give money.
4. What does Jessica say about Portia when Lorenzo asks her what she thinks of Portia?
(a) She is virtuous.
(b) She is proud.
(c) She is beautiful.
(d) She is intelligent.
5. What does Lorenzo praise Portia for after Bassanio leaves Belmont?
(a) Her strength of character.
(b) Her beauty.
(c) Her patience.
(d) Her love.
6. What does Antonio receive after Shylock is accused of threatening his life?
(a) The satisfation of seeing Shylock taken to jail.
(b) Half of Shylock's estate.
(c) All of Shylock's assets.
(d) Twice the debt owed to Shylock.
7. Who does Nerissa marry?
8. Who announces to Lorenzo that Bassanio is expected home soon?
(a) A servant.
9. What does Shylock say will happen if the duke does not uphold the contract between Shylock and Antonio?
(a) Contracts will be broken.
(b) The duke will be arrested.
(c) Money will be lost.
(d) Business in Venice will suffer.
10. Who is dressed up as the young lawyer frm Padua?
11. What is Nerissa disguised as while she is in Venice with Portia?
(a) A page boy.
(b) A servant.
(c) A merchant.
(d) A messenger.
12. Who is present when Shylock realizes his daughter is gone?
13. Which casket does Bassanio choose?
14. What does Launcelot tell Jessica he is worried about her for?
(a) Her father will try to arrest her new husband.
(b) She may go to hell for the sins of her father.
(c) Her new husband will mistreat her.
(d) She was manipulated into her marriage.
15. How does Shylock plan to use the pound of flesh he will get from Antonio?
(a) A trophy.
(c) Garden fertilizer.
(d) Fish bait.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Jessica do with her mother's ring?
2. What does Portia request while Bassanio is choosing his casket?
3. What is Jessica's response to Launcelot's concern for her?
4. Why does the second suitor choose to forgo the gold casket?
5. What does Launcelot do when he leaves the room after being scolded by Lorenzo at Portia's house?
This section contains 527 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)