|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Shylock not able to search where he wants to for his missing daughter?
(a) Lorenzo's house is empty.
(b) Bassanio's ship has sailed.
(c) The masquerade is over.
(d) Antonio refuses to let Shylock enter his house.
2. What does Portia offer to give to satisfy Antonio's debt to Shylock?
(a) A casket ful of jewels.
(b) 20 times the debt.
(c) 2 times the debt.
(d) A title of nobility and some land.
3. How much money did Jessica spend in one night?
(a) 80 ducats.
(b) 8 ducats.
(c) 800 ducats.
(d) 8000 ducats.
4. What does Shylock warn the jailer not to do?
(a) Be a witness for Antonio's case.
(b) Forget who he is working for.
(c) Divulge information to Antonio.
(d) Be sympathetic towards Antonio.
5. What does Shylock say will happen to Jessica due to her betrayal?
(a) She will be stripped of her title and her inheritance.
(b) She will be dishonored by the synogogue.
(c) She will be sent to hell.
(d) She is disowned.
6. What is found inside the casket chosen by the second suitor to Portia while Bassanio is sailing there?
(a) A picture of a fool and a poem.
(b) A skull and a poem.
(c) A picture of Portia.
(d) A sack of jewels.
7. What is Jessica's response to Launcelot's concern for her?
(a) Her husband made her a Christian.
(b) She manipulated her husband into marriage.
(c) Her husband did nothing illegal.
(d) No man could mistreat her worse than her father did.
8. Who takes the disguised Nerissa to Shylock's house to collect his deed?
9. What does Portia plan to do with what she got from her husband while in Venice?
(a) Demand an explanation from him.
(b) Divorce him.
(c) Forgive him.
(d) Embarrass him.
10. Why is Antonio sad when Shylock has realized his daughter is gone?
(a) He is in love with Jessica.
(b) He misses Bassanio.
(c) He heard about his wrecked ships.
(d) He is sad for Shylock's loss.
11. What does Antonio think Shylock hates him for while he is in prison?
(a) Helping people who hate Jews.
(b) Loaning money to those who can't afford it.
(c) Helping Jessica run away with Lorenzo.
(d) Not dealiing fairly with Shylock in the past.
12. Who does Antonio plead for mercy from?
(b) The duke.
(c) The jailer.
13. Where does Shylock want to search for his missing daughter?
(a) The masquerade.
(b) Lorenzo's house.
(c) Bassanio's ship.
(d) Antonio's house.
14. What does the letter that Portia gives to Antonio say?
(a) His ships are all safe in port.
(b) He has inherited a great fortune.
(c) He is being summoned as a judge in Venice.
(d) He is dismissed of all charges.
15. What does Portia tell Lorenzo she will do to help Bassanio in his quest?
(b) Give money.
(c) Ask favors of high ranking officials.
(d) Denounce her titles.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Solanio say the duke will not uphold the law?
2. What does Portia threaten to do when she hears Bassanio has given away his ring?
3. Where have some of Antonio's ships sunk?
4. How does Shylock plan to use the pound of flesh he will get from Antonio?
5. What does Launcelot do when he leaves the room after being scolded by Lorenzo at Portia's house?
This section contains 569 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)