|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Antonio plead for mercy from?
(c) The jailer.
(d) The duke.
2. What does Portia threaten to do when she hears Bassanio has given away his ring?
(a) Never visit his bed again.
(b) Find a new husband.
(c) Live in complete silence with him.
(d) Divorce him.
3. What does Launcelot tell Jessica he is worried about her for?
(a) Her father will try to arrest her new husband.
(b) She was manipulated into her marriage.
(c) Her new husband will mistreat her.
(d) She may go to hell for the sins of her father.
4. Why is Antonio sad when Shylock has realized his daughter is gone?
(a) He is in love with Jessica.
(b) He is sad for Shylock's loss.
(c) He heard about his wrecked ships.
(d) He misses Bassanio.
5. What does Shylock accuse Solanio and Salarino of?
(a) Distracting him on his way home from dinner with Bassanio.
(b) Helping Jessica escape.
(c) Tipping off Bassanio to sail in haste.
(d) Stealing his money.
6. What does Launcelot blame the rise of bacon on?
(a) Jews being converted.
(b) Shipments of pork getting shipwrecked.
(c) Jews not eating pork.
(d) Bacon coming into a trend.
7. What occupation does Portia's cousin hold?
8. Who announces to Lorenzo that Bassanio is expected home soon?
(d) A servant.
9. Why does Portia want Bassanio to wait to choose his casket?
(a) He doesn't want him to choose incorrectly.
(b) She doesn't want him to choose correctly.
(c) She wants him to get to know her better.
(d) She feels it inappropriate to let him choose so soon.
10. Who do Jessica and Lorenzo pretend to be while they are left alone at Portia's house?
(a) Famous lovers.
(b) Portia and Bassanio.
11. What is the name of the young lawyer who has come to Venice to help the Duke make a ruling on the case?
12. Why is Shylock not able to search where he wants to for his missing daughter?
(a) Lorenzo's house is empty.
(b) The masquerade is over.
(c) Bassanio's ship has sailed.
(d) Antonio refuses to let Shylock enter his house.
13. What is found inside the casket chosen by the second suitor to Portia while Bassanio is sailing there?
(a) A picture of a fool and a poem.
(b) A skull and a poem.
(c) A picture of Portia.
(d) A sack of jewels.
14. Where have some of Antonio's ships sunk?
(a) The English Channel.
(b) In the Parisian harbor.
(c) Off the coast of Africa.
(d) The straits of Gibraltar.
15. Who does Bassanio introduce Portia to when he returns to Belmont from Venice?
(c) The duke.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Nerissa marry?
2. Where does Portia's cousin live?
3. Who is dressed up as the young lawyer frm Padua?
4. How does Shylock plan to use the pound of flesh he will get from Antonio?
5. What does Shylock warn the jailer not to do?
This section contains 494 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)