|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where is the second guest at Belmont from while Bassanio is sailing there?
2. Who announces to Lorenzo that Bassanio is expected home soon?
(b) A servant.
3. What does Nerissa plan to get from her husband before returning home with Portia?
(a) The ring she gave him.
(b) The deed to Shylock's house.
(c) A lock of hair.
(d) The pendant around his neck.
4. Who does Nerissa marry?
5. What does Jessica say about Portia when Lorenzo asks her what she thinks of Portia?
(a) She is beautiful.
(b) She is virtuous.
(c) She is proud.
(d) She is intelligent.
6. Why has Bassanio left Portia just after winning the right to marry her?
(a) To help Antonio.
(b) To get his things.
(c) To prove his love for her.
(d) To prepare for the wedding.
7. Where have some of Antonio's ships sunk?
(a) The straits of Gibraltar.
(b) The English Channel.
(c) Off the coast of Africa.
(d) In the Parisian harbor.
8. What does Lorenzo praise Portia for after Bassanio leaves Belmont?
(a) Her patience.
(b) Her love.
(c) Her beauty.
(d) Her strength of character.
9. What does Antonio receive after Shylock is accused of threatening his life?
(a) Half of Shylock's estate.
(b) The satisfation of seeing Shylock taken to jail.
(c) All of Shylock's assets.
(d) Twice the debt owed to Shylock.
10. What does the letter that Portia gives to Antonio say?
(a) His ships are all safe in port.
(b) He has inherited a great fortune.
(c) He is being summoned as a judge in Venice.
(d) He is dismissed of all charges.
11. What did Jessica do with her mother's ring?
(a) Sold it for money.
(b) Gave it to Antonio.
(c) Stole it for her own wedding ring.
(d) Left it with her note to her father.
12. What does Shylock say will happen if the duke does not uphold the contract between Shylock and Antonio?
(a) Contracts will be broken.
(b) The duke will be arrested.
(c) Money will be lost.
(d) Business in Venice will suffer.
13. What does Lorenzo scold Launcelot for while Portia is away from her house?
(a) Scaring Jessica with his talk of hell-fire.
(b) Getting a Moorish servant pregnant.
(c) Trying to smuggle some of Portia's goblets in his baggage.
(d) Eating all the food.
14. What is found inside the casket chosen by the second suitor to Portia while Bassanio is sailing there?
(a) A picture of a fool and a poem.
(b) A sack of jewels.
(c) A skull and a poem.
(d) A picture of Portia.
15. What is Nerissa disguised as while she is in Venice with Portia?
(a) A merchant.
(b) A page boy.
(c) A messenger.
(d) A servant.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Shylock accuse Solanio and Salarino of?
2. What does Launcelot tell Jessica he is worried about her for?
3. What does Portia request while Bassanio is choosing his casket?
4. Why does Solanio say the duke will not uphold the law?
5. Why is Antonio sad when Shylock has realized his daughter is gone?
This section contains 579 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)