|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What about the lead box intrigues Bassanio?
(a) It seems so common.
(b) It looks dangerous.
(c) It looks well worn.
(d) It has a strange and dull beauty to it.
2. What does Lorenzo scold Launcelot for while Portia is away from her house?
(a) Scaring Jessica with his talk of hell-fire.
(b) Getting a Moorish servant pregnant.
(c) Eating all the food.
(d) Trying to smuggle some of Portia's goblets in his baggage.
3. What does Antonio think Shylock hates him for while he is in prison?
(a) Helping Jessica run away with Lorenzo.
(b) Not dealiing fairly with Shylock in the past.
(c) Loaning money to those who can't afford it.
(d) Helping people who hate Jews.
4. Who does Portia leave in charge of her house when she leaves?
(a) Lorenzo and Jessica.
(b) A suitor who arrived too late.
(d) Her servants.
5. How does the second suitor to Portia treat her while Bassanio is sailing there?
(a) He is ignorant and slow.
(b) He is timid and careful.
(c) He is insulting and arrogant.
(d) He is kind and thoughtful.
6. Why does the second suitor choose to forgo the gold casket?
(a) Portia is not smart enough.
(b) Portia is not rich enough.
(c) Portia is not kind enough.
(d) Portia is not beautiful enough.
7. Why does Portia want Bassanio to wait to choose his casket?
(a) She doesn't want him to choose correctly.
(b) She feels it inappropriate to let him choose so soon.
(c) She wants him to get to know her better.
(d) He doesn't want him to choose incorrectly.
8. Where does Shylock want to search for his missing daughter?
(a) Lorenzo's house.
(b) Bassanio's ship.
(c) The masquerade.
(d) Antonio's house.
9. What is found inside the casket chosen by the second suitor to Portia while Bassanio is sailing there?
(a) A skull and a poem.
(b) A picture of Portia.
(c) A sack of jewels.
(d) A picture of a fool and a poem.
10. Who does Nerissa marry?
11. Who is present when Shylock realizes his daughter is gone?
12. What is the name of the young lawyer who has come to Venice to help the Duke make a ruling on the case?
13. What did Jessica do with her mother's ring?
(a) Sold it for money.
(b) Gave it to Antonio.
(c) Stole it for her own wedding ring.
(d) Left it with her note to her father.
14. What does Antonio receive after Shylock is accused of threatening his life?
(a) Half of Shylock's estate.
(b) The satisfation of seeing Shylock taken to jail.
(c) Twice the debt owed to Shylock.
(d) All of Shylock's assets.
15. Who do Jessica and Lorenzo pretend to be while they are left alone at Portia's house?
(a) Portia and Bassanio.
(c) Famous lovers.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Portia request while Bassanio is choosing his casket?
2. What does Portia offer to give to satisfy Antonio's debt to Shylock?
3. What is Jessica's response to Launcelot's concern for her?
4. What does Shylock accuse Solanio and Salarino of?
5. Who does Bassanio introduce Portia to when he returns to Belmont from Venice?
This section contains 580 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)