|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Portia offer to give to satisfy Antonio's debt to Shylock?
(a) 2 times the debt.
(b) A title of nobility and some land.
(c) 20 times the debt.
(d) A casket ful of jewels.
2. What does Jessica say about Portia when Lorenzo asks her what she thinks of Portia?
(a) She is intelligent.
(b) She is virtuous.
(c) She is beautiful.
(d) She is proud.
3. What does Launcelot do when he leaves the room after being scolded by Lorenzo at Portia's house?
(a) Sets the table.
(b) Flirts with the Moorish servant.
(c) Writes a letter to Bassanio.
(d) Packs his bags.
4. What does Nerissa plan to get from her husband before returning home with Portia?
(a) The pendant around his neck.
(b) The deed to Shylock's house.
(c) The ring she gave him.
(d) A lock of hair.
5. What about the lead box intrigues Bassanio?
(a) It seems so common.
(b) It looks well worn.
(c) It looks dangerous.
(d) It has a strange and dull beauty to it.
6. What does Lorenzo scold Launcelot for while Portia is away from her house?
(a) Eating all the food.
(b) Trying to smuggle some of Portia's goblets in his baggage.
(c) Getting a Moorish servant pregnant.
(d) Scaring Jessica with his talk of hell-fire.
7. Who does Shylock petition for help when he sees that his daughter is gone?
(a) The governor.
(b) The prince.
(c) The duke.
(d) The king.
8. How does Shylock plan to use the pound of flesh he will get from Antonio?
(a) A trophy.
(b) Garden fertilizer.
(d) Fish bait.
9. Who does Portia leave in charge of her house when she leaves?
(a) Her servants.
(b) A suitor who arrived too late.
(d) Lorenzo and Jessica.
10. Why does the second suitor choose to forgo the gold casket?
(a) Portia is not beautiful enough.
(b) Portia is not rich enough.
(c) Portia is not kind enough.
(d) Portia is not smart enough.
11. How does the second suitor to Portia treat her while Bassanio is sailing there?
(a) He is insulting and arrogant.
(b) He is kind and thoughtful.
(c) He is ignorant and slow.
(d) He is timid and careful.
12. Why does Portia want Bassanio to wait to choose his casket?
(a) She feels it inappropriate to let him choose so soon.
(b) She doesn't want him to choose correctly.
(c) She wants him to get to know her better.
(d) He doesn't want him to choose incorrectly.
13. What does Shylock accuse Solanio and Salarino of?
(a) Tipping off Bassanio to sail in haste.
(b) Stealing his money.
(c) Distracting him on his way home from dinner with Bassanio.
(d) Helping Jessica escape.
14. What is Nerissa disguised as while she is in Venice with Portia?
(a) A merchant.
(b) A messenger.
(c) A servant.
(d) A page boy.
15. Who is present when Shylock realizes his daughter is gone?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the title of the second guest at Belmont while Bassanio is sailing there?
2. What occupation does Portia's cousin hold?
3. What does Portia tell Lorenzo she will do to help Bassanio in his quest?
4. What is found inside the casket chosen by the second suitor to Portia while Bassanio is sailing there?
5. Why is Shylock not able to search where he wants to for his missing daughter?
This section contains 561 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)