|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the Duke tell Shylock he expects Shylock to do?
(a) Lose all his busniess due to his ferocity.
(b) Become partners with Antonio.
(c) Relent and forgive Antonio at the last minute.
(d) Remain cold and heartless.
2. What does Shylock say will happen to Jessica due to her betrayal?
(a) She will be sent to hell.
(b) She will be dishonored by the synogogue.
(c) She will be stripped of her title and her inheritance.
(d) She is disowned.
3. How much money did Jessica spend in one night?
(a) 80 ducats.
(b) 800 ducats.
(c) 8 ducats.
(d) 8000 ducats.
4. What does Portia request while Bassanio is choosing his casket?
(a) That he wait an hour.
(b) That he let her read the inscriptions to him.
(c) That music be played.
(d) That lunch be served.
5. Why is Shylock not able to search where he wants to for his missing daughter?
(a) The masquerade is over.
(b) Antonio refuses to let Shylock enter his house.
(c) Lorenzo's house is empty.
(d) Bassanio's ship has sailed.
6. What does Bassanio give the young lawyer from Padua in return for his service to Antonio?
(a) Half the owed debt.
(b) A deed to some of Portia's land.
(c) The necklace Portia gave him.
(d) His ring from Portia.
7. What does Portia give Bassanio as a token of her love?
(a) A book.
(b) A necklace.
(c) A crown.
(d) A ring.
8. What does Portia tell Lorenzo she will do to help Bassanio in his quest?
(b) Give money.
(c) Denounce her titles.
(d) Ask favors of high ranking officials.
9. What does Lorenzo praise Portia for after Bassanio leaves Belmont?
(a) Her patience.
(b) Her beauty.
(c) Her love.
(d) Her strength of character.
10. What about the lead box intrigues Bassanio?
(a) It looks well worn.
(b) It seems so common.
(c) It looks dangerous.
(d) It has a strange and dull beauty to it.
11. What does Launcelot tell Jessica he is worried about her for?
(a) She may go to hell for the sins of her father.
(b) Her new husband will mistreat her.
(c) She was manipulated into her marriage.
(d) Her father will try to arrest her new husband.
12. What is the name of the young lawyer who has come to Venice to help the Duke make a ruling on the case?
13. What does the letter that Portia gives to Antonio say?
(a) He is dismissed of all charges.
(b) He has inherited a great fortune.
(c) He is being summoned as a judge in Venice.
(d) His ships are all safe in port.
14. What does Portia make Lorenzo and Jessica promise when she returns from Venice?
(a) Refuse to talk to Bassanio when he arrives.
(b) Tell Bassanio that she is still at the monastery.
(c) Not tell Bassanio that she ever left.
(d) Ask Bassanio where his ring is.
15. Who does Antonio plead for mercy from?
(c) The duke.
(d) The jailer.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Lorenzo scold Launcelot for while Portia is away from her house?
2. What is Jessica's response to Launcelot's concern for her?
3. What does Jessica say about Portia when Lorenzo asks her what she thinks of Portia?
4. What occupation does Portia's cousin hold?
5. Who announces to Lorenzo that Bassanio is expected home soon?
This section contains 572 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)