|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why would Shylock not approve of his daughter's choice in husband?
(a) He is not Jewish.
(b) He is known to be disloyal.
(c) He is not wealthy.
(d) He is too young.
2. Why does Portia tell her lady in waiting she is tired of the world?
(a) She cannot make her own choices.
(b) War and tyranny are frustrating her.
(c) She is shackled by her fortune.
(d) Her father and friend died.
3. Where will Shylock be dining on the night of the masquerade?
(a) In the privacy of his home.
(b) With Bassanio.
(c) At the masquerade.
(d) At a tavern.
4. How is Bassanio related to Antonio?
(a) Bassanio is his best friend.
(b) Bassanio is his cousin.
(c) Bassanio is his brother.
(d) Bassanio is his uncle.
5. What does Portia hope other suitors like the Prince will do when they come to woo her?
(a) Choose the right casket.
(b) Choose the worng casket.
(c) Pay closer attention to the clues.
(d) Leave without a fight.
6. What is Jessica so annoyed about when she arrives at the masquerade?
(a) She is dressed as a boy.
(b) She is not disguised enough to fool her father.
(c) She is not yet married.
(d) She could not find her father's cash box.
7. What does Launcelot tease his father about when he sees him on the street?
(a) His mismatched clothing.
(b) Not recognizing his own son.
(c) His bad jokes.
(d) His lack of money or occupation.
8. How does Shylock's daughter know Launcelot?
(a) He was her father's servant.
(b) He does business often with her father.
(c) He has been courting her.
(d) He is a very popular figure in the area.
9. What does the Moroccan want Portia to judge him by?
(a) His actions.
(b) His beauty.
(c) His love.
(d) His kind heart.
10. How many items do Portia's suitors have to choose from to win her hand in marriage?
11. Why is Antonio not worried about his wealth at the beginning of the play?
(a) All of his wares are insured.
(b) He has more than enough money.
(c) His wares are on more than one ship.
(d) He cares not for money.
12. Who is the first person to attempt choosing one of the chests?
(c) The Moroccan prince.
(d) An English duke.
13. Where does the Moroccan prince first touch land?
14. How much interest is being charged on the loan to Bassanio?
(a) Ten percent.
(c) Five Percent.
(d) Twenty Percent.
15. What is inside the casket chosen by the guest at Belmont?
(a) A picture of a fool.
(b) A skull and a poem.
(c) Two wedding rings.
(d) A picture of Portia.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whose arrival is announced at the end of the second scene?
2. Which of these is NOT a fault Portia saw in some of her past suitors?
3. How many servants are attending the Moroccan prince?
4. Who is Launcelot's master?
5. What does Shylock tell Launcelot he will not receive while working for his new master?
This section contains 480 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)