|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Gratiano not attend the masquerade?
(a) He is summoned to help Antonio.
(b) Bassanio sets sail when the wind changes.
(c) He does not want to be seen with Jessica.
(d) He falls suddenly ill.
2. Why is guaranteeing this loan so dangerous to Antonio?
(a) All his ships are currently sailing.
(b) Antonio is not even using the money for himself.
(c) Antonio is known for defaulting on loans.
(d) Antonio is already deep in debt.
3. What is the name of Portia's lady in waiting?
4. Where will Shylock be when his daughter attends the masquerade?
(b) On a business trip.
(c) Dining out.
(d) At a worship service.
5. What did one of Portia's suitors have too much fondness for?
(a) His money.
(b) His looks.
(c) His horse.
(d) Her lady in waiting.
6. What does Launcelot tease his father about when he sees him on the street?
(a) His lack of money or occupation.
(b) His bad jokes.
(c) Not recognizing his own son.
(d) His mismatched clothing.
7. What do the men lack for the upcoming masquerade?
8. What new reason does Shylock have to hate Bassanio on the night of the masquerade?
(a) Jessica wants to marry him.
(b) Launcelot is working for him now.
(c) He has been heard saying rude things about Shylock.
(d) He is not able to repay the loan he took out.
9. How does Launcelot tell Jessica about who is coming to her house the night of the masquerade?
(a) He tells her in code.
(b) He gives her a note.
(c) He whispers to her.
(d) He yells it to her as he leaves.
10. What does Gratiano say most lovers really love?
(a) The chase.
(c) Their feelings.
(d) Their lover.
11. What does Bassanio ask the man he is getting the loan from to do in order to complete the loan process?
(a) Dine with him and Antonio.
(b) Meet at Antonio's house.
(c) Sign a contract.
(d) Shake hands on the deal.
12. What does Bassanio need to borrow from Antonio at the beginning of the book?
(b) A ship.
13. What is Jessica holding when she arrives at the masquerade?
(a) A box.
(b) A dress.
(c) A purse.
(d) A gift bag.
14. How many servants are attending the Moroccan prince?
15. Where are the rules for Portia's suitors listed?
(a) Her father's will.
(b) A royal decree.
(c) A book of decorum.
(d) The deed of inheritance.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Antonio not worried about his wealth at the beginning of the play?
2. Where is Bassanio heading to after speaking with Gratiano?
3. Why would Shylock not approve of his daughter's choice in husband?
4. Why is Launcelot leaving Venice?
5. How is Jessica dressed when she arrives at the masquerade?
This section contains 516 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)