|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why has Shylock chosen to dine where he is on the night of the masquerade?
(a) To spite Bassanio.
(b) To take comfort with friends.
(c) To avoid the noise of the celebration.
(d) To keep an eye on his competition.
2. What reason does the guest at Belmont give for his choice of caskets?
(a) He feels he deserves Portia's hand in marriage.
(b) He is willing to risk all to have Portia.
(c) He wants joy more than money.
(d) He knows many men have wooed Portia.
3. Who is Bassanio in love with?
4. What does the inscription on the gold casket say it holds?
(a) A joy beyond all measure.
(b) What he deserves.
(c) A risky investment.
(d) What many men want.
5. What do the men lack for the upcoming masquerade?
6. How is Jessica dressed when she arrives at the masquerade?
(a) As a queen.
(b) In a flowing gown and intricate mask.
(c) As a servant.
(d) As a page.
7. What religion does Antonio follow?
8. Where does the Moroccan prince first touch land?
9. What does Antonio compare life on this earth to?
(a) A living legend.
(b) A staged play.
(c) A book.
(d) A dream.
10. What does Lorenzo say Shylock's only way to Heaven will be?
(a) Forgiving all his outstanding loans.
(d) Conversion to Christianity.
11. What does Lorenzo say he is saving the woman he loves from?
(a) Her father.
(b) Her Jewish heritage.
(c) Her poverty.
(d) Her boredom.
12. What is Shylock's daughter most ashamed of?
(a) Her father.
(b) Her looks.
(c) Her low social rank.
(d) Her religion.
13. What is Antony concerned about at the beginning of the play?
(a) A loan he just took out.
(b) His melancholy.
(c) His mother.
(d) His merchandise.
14. What does Bassanio ask the man he is getting the loan from to do in order to complete the loan process?
(a) Meet at Antonio's house.
(b) Dine with him and Antonio.
(c) Shake hands on the deal.
(d) Sign a contract.
15. What does Lorenzo apologize for when he arrives at the masquerade?
(a) Getting lost.
(b) Being late.
(c) Bringing Jessica.
(d) Offending Shylock.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Portia's suitors have to choose from in order to win her hand in marriage?
2. Who of the following is NOT present to discuss the masquerade?
3. What was one of Portia's suitors addicted to?
4. How much interest is being charged on the loan to Bassanio?
5. Why is Launcelot leaving Venice?
This section contains 433 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)