|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did one of Portia's suitors have too much fondness for?
(a) His horse.
(b) Her lady in waiting.
(c) His money.
(d) His looks.
2. Who of the following is not a merchant in Venice?
3. What is the guest at Belmont doing while Bassanio is sailing there?
(a) Courting Portia.
(b) Dining and Talking.
(c) Choosing between the caskets.
(d) Preparing to leave.
4. Why does the money lender refuse to complete the loan process in the way Bassanio suggests?
(a) He hates Antonio.
(b) There will be pork at the table.
(c) He refuses to sign anything until he sees proof of the guarantee.
(d) He puts no credence into a handshake.
5. What does the inscription on the lead casket say it holds?
(a) A risky investment.
(b) A joy beyond all measure.
(c) What he deserves.
(d) What many men want.
6. What does Bassanio ask the man he is getting the loan from to do in order to complete the loan process?
(a) Meet at Antonio's house.
(b) Dine with him and Antonio.
(c) Sign a contract.
(d) Shake hands on the deal.
7. How many items do Portia's suitors have to choose from to win her hand in marriage?
8. What has lowered the interest rates on loans in Venice?
(a) Late payments.
(b) Generous lending.
(d) Unexpected poverty.
9. What religion does Antonio follow?
10. How is Jessica dressed when she arrives at the masquerade?
(a) As a servant.
(b) As a page.
(c) As a queen.
(d) In a flowing gown and intricate mask.
11. Who does Shylock's daughter ask to deliver the letter she writes just before Bassanio leaves Venice?
12. What is Jessica afraid to do for Lorenzo at the masquerade?
(a) Convert to Christianity.
(b) Confront her father.
(c) Announce their marriage.
(d) Be his torchbearer.
13. What does Shylock tell his daughter not to do on the night of the masquerade?
(a) Worry about him.
(b) Look out the window.
(c) Have visitors.
(d) Attend the ball.
14. What reason does the guest at Belmont give for his choice of caskets?
(a) He feels he deserves Portia's hand in marriage.
(b) He wants joy more than money.
(c) He knows many men have wooed Portia.
(d) He is willing to risk all to have Portia.
15. What does The Moroccan Prince think Portia does not like about him?
(a) His clothing.
(b) His reputation.
(c) His ego.
(d) His dark skin.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the men lack for the upcoming masquerade?
2. What color is the Moroccan prince wearing when he first appears on stage?
3. What convinces Lorenzo to change his plans on the night of the masquerade?
4. Who is Bassanio in love with?
5. Where does the Moroccan prince first touch land?
This section contains 451 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)