|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is guaranteeing this loan so dangerous to Antonio?
(a) Antonio is already deep in debt.
(b) Antonio is known for defaulting on loans.
(c) All his ships are currently sailing.
(d) Antonio is not even using the money for himself.
2. What does Jessica plan to do while her father is dining on the night of the masquerade?
(a) Drug his food with a sleeping draught.
(b) Run away with Lorenzo.
(c) Sneak out and attend the masquerade.
(d) Ask him to convert to Christianity with her.
3. What does Jessica hope to lose on the night of the masquerade?
(a) A title.
(b) A home.
(c) A religion.
(d) A father.
4. Who is meant to pick a husband for Portia?
(b) Her father.
(c) Her uncle.
(d) Her godfather.
5. What is the consequence of a suitor choosing the wrong chest?
(a) He cannot speak of marriage to any other woman.
(b) He must pay the price.
(c) He must pledge his allegiance to Portia's household.
(d) He is sworn to secrecy.
6. Why does Bassanio need to borrow something from Antonio at the beginning of the book?
(a) To hide his identity.
(b) To woo a woman.
(c) To save some time.
(d) To reach his home.
7. Who is Shylock's daughter sad to see leave?
8. Who is Bassanio in love with?
9. What does the money lender want if the loan that Bassanio needs cannot be repaid?
(a) A signed deed of Antnio's land.
(b) A pound of flesh.
(c) A promise that Antonio will never touch his daughter.
(d) A portion of Antonio's company.
10. Which of these is NOT a fault Portia saw in some of her past suitors?
(c) No humor.
11. What does Portia hope other suitors like the Prince will do when they come to woo her?
(a) Choose the worng casket.
(b) Leave without a fight.
(c) Choose the right casket.
(d) Pay closer attention to the clues.
12. What does Shylock tell Launcelot he will not receive while working for his new master?
(b) Fair wages.
(d) Good treatment.
13. Who does Lorenzo love?
14. What does Antonio ask Bassanio about when they are left alone at the beginning of the play?
(a) Who he loves.
(b) How his father has been.
(c) Where he is going.
(d) How long he will be in town.
15. How many servants are attending the Moroccan prince?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Lorenzo apologize for when he arrives at the masquerade?
2. Which casket does the guest at Belmont choose while Bassanio is sailing there?
3. Who of the following is not a merchant in Venice?
4. What does Shylock's daughter hate herself for?
5. What does The Moroccan Prince think Portia does not like about him?
This section contains 488 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)