|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does the guest at Belmont react when he sees what is in the casket he has chosen?
(a) He leaves the scene quickly.
(b) He bursts into tears.
(c) He starts raving furiously.
(d) He laughs at the wit of Portia's father.
2. Why has no suitor yet tried to choose one of the chests?
(a) They only wanted a free trip, not a real bride.
(b) They will not be allowed to ever marry if they choose incorrectly.
(c) They realize that Portia is not as rich as they thought.
(d) Portia's dowry is insufficient.
3. Who is a guest at Belmont while Bassanio is sailing for it?
(a) The Prince of Morocco.
(b) The Earl of Norway.
(c) An Egyptian heir.
(d) A Scottish duke.
4. What does Shylock tell Jessica to do while he is dining on the night of the masquerade?
(a) Lock the doors and windows.
(b) Go to bed early.
(c) Attend with him.
(d) Serve him well.
5. What new reason does Shylock have to hate Bassanio on the night of the masquerade?
(a) Launcelot is working for him now.
(b) Jessica wants to marry him.
(c) He has been heard saying rude things about Shylock.
(d) He is not able to repay the loan he took out.
6. What religion does Shylock follow?
7. What does Shylock tell his daughter not to do on the night of the masquerade?
(a) Attend the ball.
(b) Worry about him.
(c) Look out the window.
(d) Have visitors.
8. What does Shylock's daughter hate herself for?
(a) Wanting to turn her back on her religion.
(b) Being ashamed of her father.
(c) Not taking after her mother in looks.
(d) Being too stubborn to see the truth about Launcelot.
9. Why is Antonio not worried about his wealth at the beginning of the play?
(a) He cares not for money.
(b) All of his wares are insured.
(c) His wares are on more than one ship.
(d) He has more than enough money.
10. Why is Jessica afraid to do what is asked of her at the masquerade?
(a) She is afraid her father will find out.
(b) She is afraid she will be rejected from the synogogue.
(c) She is not dressed appropriately.
(d) She is afraid of what people will think of her.
11. What has lowered the interest rates on loans in Venice?
(a) Generous lending.
(b) Unexpected poverty.
(c) Late payments.
12. What does the Moroccan prince beg Portia not to judge him by?
(a) His reputation.
(b) His dark skin.
(c) His riches.
(d) His speech.
13. What does Bassanio ask the man he is getting the loan from to do in order to complete the loan process?
(a) Sign a contract.
(b) Shake hands on the deal.
(c) Dine with him and Antonio.
(d) Meet at Antonio's house.
14. What does Portia hope other suitors like the Prince will do when they come to woo her?
(a) Leave without a fight.
(b) Pay closer attention to the clues.
(c) Choose the worng casket.
(d) Choose the right casket.
15. Who does Lorenzo love?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Antonio ask Bassanio about when they are left alone at the beginning of the play?
2. How many servants are attending the Moroccan prince?
3. What does Launcelot tease his father about when he sees him on the street?
4. How many items do Portia's suitors have to choose from to win her hand in marriage?
5. What is Jessica so annoyed about when she arrives at the masquerade?
This section contains 600 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)