|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Lorenzo say Shylock's only way to Heaven will be?
(a) Conversion to Christianity.
(b) Forgiving all his outstanding loans.
2. What has lowered the interest rates on loans in Venice?
(a) Generous lending.
(b) Late payments.
(d) Unexpected poverty.
3. Who does Bassanio hire into his service before he leaves Venice?
4. Who does Launcelot tell Jessica is coming the night of the masquerade?
(a) A Jew.
(b) A man in love.
(c) A masked man.
(d) A Christian.
5. How many items do Portia's suitors have to choose from to win her hand in marriage?
6. What does Bassano demand of the man who begs to go on the journey with Bassanio?
(a) Half the cost of using the ship.
(b) His cooking skills.
(c) A contract.
(d) His best behavior.
7. Who is Launcelot's master?
8. What does the money lender want if the loan that Bassanio needs cannot be repaid?
(a) A portion of Antonio's company.
(b) A signed deed of Antnio's land.
(c) A pound of flesh.
(d) A promise that Antonio will never touch his daughter.
9. What reason does the guest at Belmont give for his choice of caskets?
(a) He feels he deserves Portia's hand in marriage.
(b) He knows many men have wooed Portia.
(c) He wants joy more than money.
(d) He is willing to risk all to have Portia.
10. Who of the following is NOT present to discuss the masquerade?
11. What does Launcelot want to do when he first appears on stage?
(a) Run away from his master.
(b) Move out of Italy.
(c) Get married.
(d) Steal some money.
12. Why has Shylock chosen to dine where he is on the night of the masquerade?
(a) To keep an eye on his competition.
(b) To take comfort with friends.
(c) To spite Bassanio.
(d) To avoid the noise of the celebration.
13. How is Bassanio related to Antonio?
(a) Bassanio is his uncle.
(b) Bassanio is his brother.
(c) Bassanio is his cousin.
(d) Bassanio is his best friend.
14. How does the guest at Belmont react when he sees what is in the casket he has chosen?
(a) He laughs at the wit of Portia's father.
(b) He bursts into tears.
(c) He leaves the scene quickly.
(d) He starts raving furiously.
15. What does Shylock's daughter hate herself for?
(a) Not taking after her mother in looks.
(b) Wanting to turn her back on her religion.
(c) Being ashamed of her father.
(d) Being too stubborn to see the truth about Launcelot.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Shylock's daughter sad to see leave?
2. Why does Bassanio need to borrow something from Antonio at the beginning of the book?
3. Why is guaranteeing this loan so dangerous to Antonio?
4. Why is Launcelot leaving Venice?
5. Who is meant to pick a husband for Portia?
This section contains 519 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)