|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Jessica so annoyed about when she arrives at the masquerade?
(a) She is dressed as a boy.
(b) She could not find her father's cash box.
(c) She is not disguised enough to fool her father.
(d) She is not yet married.
2. Who does Shylock's daughter write a letter to before Bassanio leaves Venice?
3. What did one of Portia's suitors have too much fondness for?
(a) His horse.
(b) His looks.
(c) His money.
(d) Her lady in waiting.
4. What does Shylock's daughter hate herself for?
(a) Being too stubborn to see the truth about Launcelot.
(b) Not taking after her mother in looks.
(c) Being ashamed of her father.
(d) Wanting to turn her back on her religion.
5. What does Launcelot want to do when he first appears on stage?
(a) Get married.
(b) Run away from his master.
(c) Steal some money.
(d) Move out of Italy.
6. Why does the money lender refuse to complete the loan process in the way Bassanio suggests?
(a) There will be pork at the table.
(b) He hates Antonio.
(c) He puts no credence into a handshake.
(d) He refuses to sign anything until he sees proof of the guarantee.
7. Which of these is NOT a fault Portia saw in some of her past suitors?
(a) No humor.
8. What religion does Shylock's daughter want to follow?
9. How does Portia react when she sees what is in the casket chosen by the guest at Belmont?
(a) She thanks him for his good nature and bids him farewel..
(b) She is frightened by his anger.
(c) She is glad he chose wrong.
(d) She joins in laughing about the joke.
10. Why does Gratiano not attend the masquerade?
(a) Bassanio sets sail when the wind changes.
(b) He falls suddenly ill.
(c) He is summoned to help Antonio.
(d) He does not want to be seen with Jessica.
11. Why has no suitor yet tried to choose one of the chests?
(a) They will not be allowed to ever marry if they choose incorrectly.
(b) They only wanted a free trip, not a real bride.
(c) They realize that Portia is not as rich as they thought.
(d) Portia's dowry is insufficient.
12. What does Launcelot tease his father about when he sees him on the street?
(a) Not recognizing his own son.
(b) His bad jokes.
(c) His lack of money or occupation.
(d) His mismatched clothing.
13. What do Portia's suitors have to choose from in order to win her hand in marriage?
14. Why has Shylock chosen to dine where he is on the night of the masquerade?
(a) To take comfort with friends.
(b) To avoid the noise of the celebration.
(c) To spite Bassanio.
(d) To keep an eye on his competition.
15. Where is Bassanio heading to after speaking with Gratiano?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who of the following is NOT present to discuss the masquerade?
2. Who is Shylock's daughter sad to see leave?
3. What does Shylock tell his daughter not to do on the night of the masquerade?
4. Why is guaranteeing this loan so dangerous to Antonio?
5. Why does Portia say it does not matter how she judges him?
This section contains 576 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)