|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Portia hope other suitors like the Prince will do when they come to woo her?
(a) Pay closer attention to the clues.
(b) Choose the right casket.
(c) Leave without a fight.
(d) Choose the worng casket.
2. Why does Gratiano say Jessica is not a true Jew?
(a) She eats pork.
(b) She is generous with her money.
(c) She is in love with a Christian.
(d) She is too nice.
3. Why is Launcelot leaving Venice?
(a) He is now employed by Bassanio.
(b) He has a shipment to watch over.
(c) He fears Shylock has figured out his plans with his daughter.
(d) He has business over seas.
4. What is Shylock's daughter most ashamed of?
(a) Her father.
(b) Her religion.
(c) Her looks.
(d) Her low social rank.
5. Who does Bassanio hire into his service before he leaves Venice?
6. What did the Moroccan Prince think many men desired?
7. What is Jessica so annoyed about when she arrives at the masquerade?
(a) She is not yet married.
(b) She is not disguised enough to fool her father.
(c) She could not find her father's cash box.
(d) She is dressed as a boy.
8. Who is a guest at Belmont while Bassanio is sailing for it?
(a) The Prince of Morocco.
(b) An Egyptian heir.
(c) A Scottish duke.
(d) The Earl of Norway.
9. How much money will Antonio earn when his investments come to fruition?
(a) The exact amount of the loan.
(b) Twice the amount of the loan.
(c) Ten times the amount of the loan.
(d) Three times the loan amount.
10. How does Shylock's daughter know Launcelot?
(a) He has been courting her.
(b) He was her father's servant.
(c) He does business often with her father.
(d) He is a very popular figure in the area.
11. What does Shylock tell Jessica to do while he is dining on the night of the masquerade?
(a) Attend with him.
(b) Go to bed early.
(c) Serve him well.
(d) Lock the doors and windows.
12. Why is Jessica afraid to do what is asked of her at the masquerade?
(a) She is not dressed appropriately.
(b) She is afraid of what people will think of her.
(c) She is afraid she will be rejected from the synogogue.
(d) She is afraid her father will find out.
13. Who does Shylock's daughter ask to deliver the letter she writes just before Bassanio leaves Venice?
14. Why does the money lender refuse to complete the loan process in the way Bassanio suggests?
(a) He hates Antonio.
(b) He refuses to sign anything until he sees proof of the guarantee.
(c) He puts no credence into a handshake.
(d) There will be pork at the table.
15. What was one of Portia's suitors addicted to?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the money lender want if the loan that Bassanio needs cannot be repaid?
2. How many items do Portia's suitors have to choose from to win her hand in marriage?
3. What does Portia really not like about the Moroccan Prince?
4. Who does Bassiano take out a loan from?
5. What does Solanio think Antonio's sadness is about?
This section contains 540 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)