|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Shylock's daughter hate herself for?
(a) Being too stubborn to see the truth about Launcelot.
(b) Not taking after her mother in looks.
(c) Wanting to turn her back on her religion.
(d) Being ashamed of her father.
2. Who does Launcelot tell Jessica is coming the night of the masquerade?
(a) A Jew.
(b) A masked man.
(c) A Christian.
(d) A man in love.
3. What does Bassanio ask the man he is getting the loan from to do in order to complete the loan process?
(a) Shake hands on the deal.
(b) Meet at Antonio's house.
(c) Sign a contract.
(d) Dine with him and Antonio.
4. Who does Lorenzo give his letter to after reading it?
5. What is inside the casket chosen by the guest at Belmont?
(a) A skull and a poem.
(b) A picture of Portia.
(c) A picture of a fool.
(d) Two wedding rings.
6. What does Gratiano say most lovers really love?
(a) Their feelings.
(b) The chase.
(d) Their lover.
7. Why is Bassiano so nervous about Antonio signing the loan agreement?
(a) He fears for Antonio's reputation.
(b) The cost is too high.
(c) He feels guilty.
(d) The villain is being nice.
8. Why is guaranteeing this loan so dangerous to Antonio?
(a) Antonio is not even using the money for himself.
(b) All his ships are currently sailing.
(c) Antonio is already deep in debt.
(d) Antonio is known for defaulting on loans.
9. What does the inscription on the lead casket say it holds?
(a) What he deserves.
(b) What many men want.
(c) A joy beyond all measure.
(d) A risky investment.
10. What does Jessica plan to do while her father is dining on the night of the masquerade?
(a) Sneak out and attend the masquerade.
(b) Ask him to convert to Christianity with her.
(c) Run away with Lorenzo.
(d) Drug his food with a sleeping draught.
11. Who of the following is not a merchant in Venice?
12. Why has Shylock chosen to dine where he is on the night of the masquerade?
(a) To spite Bassanio.
(b) To avoid the noise of the celebration.
(c) To keep an eye on his competition.
(d) To take comfort with friends.
13. What did one of Portia's suitors have too much fondness for?
(a) His horse.
(b) His looks.
(c) Her lady in waiting.
(d) His money.
14. What does Portia hope other suitors like the Prince will do when they come to woo her?
(a) Leave without a fight.
(b) Choose the worng casket.
(c) Choose the right casket.
(d) Pay closer attention to the clues.
15. What does Launcelot do that breaks up the discussion about the masquerade?
(a) Brings news that the ball is cancelled.
(b) Delivers a letter.
(c) Announces that Bassanio is leaving Venice earlier than expected.
(d) Tells jokes.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the inscription on the gold casket say it holds?
2. Why does the money lender refuse to complete the loan process in the way Bassanio suggests?
3. What did Portia's father want to determine through his test of chests?
4. Who does Launcelot want to work for?
5. What is Shylock worried will happen during the masquerade?
This section contains 573 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)