|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Shylock's daughter hate herself for?
(a) Not taking after her mother in looks.
(b) Being ashamed of her father.
(c) Wanting to turn her back on her religion.
(d) Being too stubborn to see the truth about Launcelot.
2. Who of the following is NOT present to discuss the masquerade?
3. What does Gratiano say most lovers really love?
(a) Their lover.
(c) The chase.
(d) Their feelings.
4. Who does Launcelot want to work for?
5. Which of these is NOT a fault Portia saw in some of her past suitors?
(b) No humor.
6. Why is Launcelot leaving Venice?
(a) He fears Shylock has figured out his plans with his daughter.
(b) He has business over seas.
(c) He is now employed by Bassanio.
(d) He has a shipment to watch over.
7. What does the inscription on the lead casket say it holds?
(a) A risky investment.
(b) What he deserves.
(c) A joy beyond all measure.
(d) What many men want.
8. What does Solanio think Antonio's sadness is about?
(a) Worry over his ships.
(b) His mother's sickness.
(d) Competition in the market.
9. Who does Shylock's daughter write a letter to before Bassanio leaves Venice?
10. How much interest is being charged on the loan to Bassanio?
(b) Twenty Percent.
(c) Ten percent.
(d) Five Percent.
11. What does Jessica plan to do while her father is dining on the night of the masquerade?
(a) Run away with Lorenzo.
(b) Ask him to convert to Christianity with her.
(c) Drug his food with a sleeping draught.
(d) Sneak out and attend the masquerade.
12. Why does Bassanio need to borrow something from Antonio at the beginning of the book?
(a) To save some time.
(b) To woo a woman.
(c) To reach his home.
(d) To hide his identity.
13. What did Portia's father want to determine through his test of chests?
(a) The character of the suitors.
(b) The intent of the suitors.
(c) The courage of the suitors.
(d) The sincerity of the suitors.
14. What did one of Portia's suitors have too much fondness for?
(a) His looks.
(b) His money.
(c) Her lady in waiting.
(d) His horse.
15. Who does Launcelot tell Jessica is coming the night of the masquerade?
(a) A Christian.
(b) A masked man.
(c) A Jew.
(d) A man in love.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Bassiano so nervous about Antonio signing the loan agreement?
2. What is Jessica afraid to do for Lorenzo at the masquerade?
3. What does Shylock tell his daughter not to do on the night of the masquerade?
4. What does the money lender want if the loan that Bassanio needs cannot be repaid?
5. Who does Shylock's daughter ask to deliver the letter she writes just before Bassanio leaves Venice?
This section contains 498 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)