|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the inscription on the silver casket say it holds?
(a) What he deserves.
(b) A risky investment.
(c) A joy beyond all measure.
(d) What many men want.
2. How much money will Antonio earn when his investments come to fruition?
(a) Ten times the amount of the loan.
(b) Three times the loan amount.
(c) Twice the amount of the loan.
(d) The exact amount of the loan.
3. What reason does the guest at Belmont give for his choice of caskets?
(a) He knows many men have wooed Portia.
(b) He wants joy more than money.
(c) He is willing to risk all to have Portia.
(d) He feels he deserves Portia's hand in marriage.
4. What does Portia hope other suitors like the Prince will do when they come to woo her?
(a) Choose the right casket.
(b) Leave without a fight.
(c) Choose the worng casket.
(d) Pay closer attention to the clues.
5. Who does Bassanio hire into his service before he leaves Venice?
6. What does Bassanio ask the man he is getting the loan from to do in order to complete the loan process?
(a) Dine with him and Antonio.
(b) Sign a contract.
(c) Shake hands on the deal.
(d) Meet at Antonio's house.
7. Who is the first person to attempt choosing one of the chests?
(a) The Moroccan prince.
(b) An English duke.
8. How many items do Portia's suitors have to choose from to win her hand in marriage?
9. How much interest is being charged on the loan to Bassanio?
(a) Ten percent.
(b) Five Percent.
(d) Twenty Percent.
10. What will Jessica do for Lorenzo the night of the masquerade?
(a) Be his torchbearer.
(b) Be his partner for the night.
(c) Marry him.
(d) Steal money from her father.
11. What does Bassanio need to borrow from Antonio at the beginning of the book?
(a) A ship.
12. What do the men lack for the upcoming masquerade?
13. Why would Shylock not approve of his daughter's choice in husband?
(a) He is not wealthy.
(b) He is known to be disloyal.
(c) He is too young.
(d) He is not Jewish.
14. What does Launcelot do that breaks up the discussion about the masquerade?
(a) Delivers a letter.
(b) Brings news that the ball is cancelled.
(c) Tells jokes.
(d) Announces that Bassanio is leaving Venice earlier than expected.
15. Why does Launcelot think his master is a devil?
(a) He is cruel.
(b) He seems muddled in the head.
(c) He lies openly.
(d) He is Jewish.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Shylock tell Jessica to do while he is dining on the night of the masquerade?
2. What is Antony concerned about at the beginning of the play?
3. Who does Bassiano take out a loan from?
4. Why does Portia tell her lady in waiting she is tired of the world?
5. How does the guest at Belmont react when he sees what is in the casket he has chosen?
This section contains 535 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)