|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Launcelot's master?
2. What does Lorenzo say Shylock's only way to Heaven will be?
(a) Conversion to Christianity.
(c) Forgiving all his outstanding loans.
3. How many servants are attending the Moroccan prince?
4. What does Launcelot do that breaks up the discussion about the masquerade?
(a) Brings news that the ball is cancelled.
(b) Announces that Bassanio is leaving Venice earlier than expected.
(c) Delivers a letter.
(d) Tells jokes.
5. Why does the money lender refuse to complete the loan process in the way Bassanio suggests?
(a) He refuses to sign anything until he sees proof of the guarantee.
(b) He hates Antonio.
(c) He puts no credence into a handshake.
(d) There will be pork at the table.
6. What did Portia's father want to determine through his test of chests?
(a) The character of the suitors.
(b) The sincerity of the suitors.
(c) The courage of the suitors.
(d) The intent of the suitors.
7. Why is Jessica afraid to do what is asked of her at the masquerade?
(a) She is not dressed appropriately.
(b) She is afraid of what people will think of her.
(c) She is afraid her father will find out.
(d) She is afraid she will be rejected from the synogogue.
8. Whose arrival is announced at the end of the second scene?
(a) Another suitor.
(b) Portia's godfather.
(c) Portia's father.
(d) A merchant.
9. What does Bassanio need to borrow from Antonio at the beginning of the book?
(c) A ship.
10. What does the inscription on the silver casket say it holds?
(a) What he deserves.
(b) A joy beyond all measure.
(c) What many men want.
(d) A risky investment.
11. What is Jessica so annoyed about when she arrives at the masquerade?
(a) She is not disguised enough to fool her father.
(b) She could not find her father's cash box.
(c) She is dressed as a boy.
(d) She is not yet married.
12. What does the inscription on the gold casket say it holds?
(a) What he deserves.
(b) A risky investment.
(c) A joy beyond all measure.
(d) What many men want.
13. Where will Shylock be dining on the night of the masquerade?
(a) With Bassanio.
(b) At a tavern.
(c) At the masquerade.
(d) In the privacy of his home.
14. What does Bassano demand of the man who begs to go on the journey with Bassanio?
(a) His best behavior.
(b) His cooking skills.
(c) Half the cost of using the ship.
(d) A contract.
15. What convinces Lorenzo to change his plans on the night of the masquerade?
(a) The discussion with his friends.
(b) News from Launcelot.
(c) A letter from Jessica.
(d) An announcement from Bassanio.
Short Answer Questions
1. How is Jessica dressed when she arrives at the masquerade?
2. What is Launcelot's occupation?
3. How does Launcelot tell Jessica about who is coming to her house the night of the masquerade?
4. What does the inscription on the lead casket say it holds?
5. What religion does Antonio follow?
This section contains 517 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)