|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Jessica afraid to do what is asked of her at the masquerade?
(a) She is afraid her father will find out.
(b) She is afraid she will be rejected from the synogogue.
(c) She is afraid of what people will think of her.
(d) She is not dressed appropriately.
2. What do Portia's suitors have to choose from in order to win her hand in marriage?
3. Who is Bassanio in love with?
4. Who of the following is NOT present to discuss the masquerade?
5. What does Shylock tell Jessica to do while he is dining on the night of the masquerade?
(a) Go to bed early.
(b) Serve him well.
(c) Lock the doors and windows.
(d) Attend with him.
6. What is Shylock's daughter most ashamed of?
(a) Her looks.
(b) Her father.
(c) Her low social rank.
(d) Her religion.
7. How does Launcelot tell Jessica about who is coming to her house the night of the masquerade?
(a) He whispers to her.
(b) He yells it to her as he leaves.
(c) He gives her a note.
(d) He tells her in code.
8. Why would Shylock not approve of his daughter's choice in husband?
(a) He is too young.
(b) He is not Jewish.
(c) He is not wealthy.
(d) He is known to be disloyal.
9. Who does Launcelot tell Jessica is coming the night of the masquerade?
(a) A masked man.
(b) A Jew.
(c) A man in love.
(d) A Christian.
10. What was one of Portia's suitors addicted to?
11. What does Gratiano say most lovers really love?
(a) Their feelings.
(b) Their lover.
(c) The chase.
12. What religion does Shylock's daughter follow?
13. Who does Lorenzo love?
14. Why does Launcelot think his master is a devil?
(a) He is Jewish.
(b) He seems muddled in the head.
(c) He is cruel.
(d) He lies openly.
15. Why does Portia tell her lady in waiting she is tired of the world?
(a) War and tyranny are frustrating her.
(b) Her father and friend died.
(c) She is shackled by her fortune.
(d) She cannot make her own choices.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Jessica holding when she arrives at the masquerade?
2. Why does Bassanio need to borrow something from Antonio at the beginning of the book?
3. What does Salarino think Antonio's sadness is about?
4. What does Lorenzo say Shylock's only way to Heaven will be?
5. Who does Shylock's daughter ask to deliver the letter she writes just before Bassanio leaves Venice?
This section contains 449 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)