|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Bassanio need to borrow from Antonio at the beginning of the book?
(b) A ship.
2. What is Jessica so annoyed about when she arrives at the masquerade?
(a) She is not disguised enough to fool her father.
(b) She is not yet married.
(c) She could not find her father's cash box.
(d) She is dressed as a boy.
3. What reason does the guest at Belmont give for his choice of caskets?
(a) He knows many men have wooed Portia.
(b) He wants joy more than money.
(c) He is willing to risk all to have Portia.
(d) He feels he deserves Portia's hand in marriage.
4. What does Launcelot tease his father about when he sees him on the street?
(a) Not recognizing his own son.
(b) His lack of money or occupation.
(c) His mismatched clothing.
(d) His bad jokes.
5. Why does Jessica return to her house before the masquerade?
(a) To lock it up.
(b) To change her clothes.
(c) To find some more money.
(d) To leave a note for her father.
6. What did the Moroccan Prince think many men desired?
7. Why would Shylock not approve of his daughter's choice in husband?
(a) He is known to be disloyal.
(b) He is too young.
(c) He is not Jewish.
(d) He is not wealthy.
8. What does Antonio ask Bassanio about when they are left alone at the beginning of the play?
(a) How his father has been.
(b) Who he loves.
(c) How long he will be in town.
(d) Where he is going.
9. Why has Shylock chosen to dine where he is on the night of the masquerade?
(a) To keep an eye on his competition.
(b) To take comfort with friends.
(c) To avoid the noise of the celebration.
(d) To spite Bassanio.
10. What has lowered the interest rates on loans in Venice?
(b) Unexpected poverty.
(c) Late payments.
(d) Generous lending.
11. How does the guest at Belmont react when he sees what is in the casket he has chosen?
(a) He laughs at the wit of Portia's father.
(b) He bursts into tears.
(c) He starts raving furiously.
(d) He leaves the scene quickly.
12. Whose arrival is announced at the end of the second scene?
(a) A merchant.
(b) Portia's father.
(c) Another suitor.
(d) Portia's godfather.
13. What does Lorenzo say Shylock's only way to Heaven will be?
(c) Conversion to Christianity.
(d) Forgiving all his outstanding loans.
14. What is Shylock worried will happen during the masquerade?
(a) A drunken man will come to hurt Jessica.
(b) Chaos will ensue.
(c) His things will be stolen.
(d) He will forget his Jewish upbringing.
15. What does Lorenzo apologize for when he arrives at the masquerade?
(a) Getting lost.
(b) Being late.
(c) Bringing Jessica.
(d) Offending Shylock.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Bassanio in love with?
2. What does the inscription on the gold casket say it holds?
3. What does Salarino think Antonio's sadness is about?
4. Who is Launcelot's master?
5. How much money will Antonio earn when his investments come to fruition?
This section contains 524 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)