|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who begs to travel with Bassanio on his journey before he leaves Venice?
2. Why does Portia tell her lady in waiting she is tired of the world?
(a) She cannot make her own choices.
(b) Her father and friend died.
(c) War and tyranny are frustrating her.
(d) She is shackled by her fortune.
3. Why is Bassiano so nervous about Antonio signing the loan agreement?
(a) The villain is being nice.
(b) The cost is too high.
(c) He fears for Antonio's reputation.
(d) He feels guilty.
4. What will Jessica do for Lorenzo the night of the masquerade?
(a) Be his partner for the night.
(b) Be his torchbearer.
(c) Steal money from her father.
(d) Marry him.
5. What is Antony concerned about at the beginning of the play?
(a) His mother.
(b) His melancholy.
(c) A loan he just took out.
(d) His merchandise.
6. Why has no suitor yet tried to choose one of the chests?
(a) Portia's dowry is insufficient.
(b) They will not be allowed to ever marry if they choose incorrectly.
(c) They only wanted a free trip, not a real bride.
(d) They realize that Portia is not as rich as they thought.
7. What do the men lack for the upcoming masquerade?
8. What convinces Lorenzo to change his plans on the night of the masquerade?
(a) News from Launcelot.
(b) The discussion with his friends.
(c) A letter from Jessica.
(d) An announcement from Bassanio.
9. Who is meant to pick a husband for Portia?
(b) Her father.
(c) Her uncle.
(d) Her godfather.
10. When does Gratiano say love tends to wane?
(a) After marriage.
(b) After consummation.
(c) After the committment is made.
(d) After the gleam wears off.
11. What color is the Moroccan prince wearing when he first appears on stage?
12. What is Shylock worried will happen during the masquerade?
(a) His things will be stolen.
(b) He will forget his Jewish upbringing.
(c) Chaos will ensue.
(d) A drunken man will come to hurt Jessica.
13. What is Jessica holding when she arrives at the masquerade?
(a) A gift bag.
(b) A dress.
(c) A purse.
(d) A box.
14. Where does the Moroccan prince first touch land?
15. Why does Shylock hate Antonio?
(a) He lends money too generously.
(b) He is in love with his daughter.
(c) He is not fair in his dealings.
(d) He is a Jew.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Portia really not like about the Moroccan Prince?
2. Where is the person coming from whose arrival is announced at the end of the second scene?
3. What does Lorenzo say he is saving the woman he loves from?
4. Why does the money lender refuse to complete the loan process in the way Bassanio suggests?
5. What does Shylock tell Jessica to do while he is dining on the night of the masquerade?
This section contains 507 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)