|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Lorenzo apologize for when he arrives at the masquerade?
(a) Offending Shylock.
(b) Being late.
(c) Bringing Jessica.
(d) Getting lost.
2. How is Bassanio related to Antonio?
(a) Bassanio is his brother.
(b) Bassanio is his cousin.
(c) Bassanio is his uncle.
(d) Bassanio is his best friend.
3. What is Antony concerned about at the beginning of the play?
(a) His melancholy.
(b) A loan he just took out.
(c) His mother.
(d) His merchandise.
4. What does The Moroccan Prince think Portia does not like about him?
(a) His clothing.
(b) His dark skin.
(c) His reputation.
(d) His ego.
5. Who is Bassanio in love with?
6. What is the consequence of a suitor choosing the wrong chest?
(a) He must pledge his allegiance to Portia's household.
(b) He cannot speak of marriage to any other woman.
(c) He is sworn to secrecy.
(d) He must pay the price.
7. What reason does the guest at Belmont give for his choice of caskets?
(a) He wants joy more than money.
(b) He feels he deserves Portia's hand in marriage.
(c) He is willing to risk all to have Portia.
(d) He knows many men have wooed Portia.
8. Who does Bassanio hire into his service before he leaves Venice?
9. What does Jessica hope her father will lose on the night of the masquerade?
(a) A daughter.
(b) A friend.
(c) A business deal.
(d) Some money.
10. What religion does Shylock follow?
11. What does the inscription on the gold casket say it holds?
(a) A risky investment.
(b) A joy beyond all measure.
(c) What many men want.
(d) What he deserves.
12. Who does Launcelot want to work for?
13. What religion does Shylock's daughter follow?
14. What will the correct suitor find inside the correct item in order to win Portia's hand in marriage?
(a) Wedding rings.
(b) A marriage certificate.
(c) The key to the master bedroom.
(d) Portia's picture.
15. Why does Bassanio need to borrow something from Antonio at the beginning of the book?
(a) To hide his identity.
(b) To woo a woman.
(c) To reach his home.
(d) To save some time.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of Portia's lady in waiting?
2. Where is Bassanio heading to after speaking with Gratiano?
3. Which of these is NOT a fault Portia saw in some of her past suitors?
4. Why does Shylock hate Antonio?
5. What does Launcelot do that breaks up the discussion about the masquerade?
This section contains 440 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)