|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 2, Scene 4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Shylock hate Antonio?
(a) He is not fair in his dealings.
(b) He is in love with his daughter.
(c) He lends money too generously.
(d) He is a Jew.
2. Why has no suitor yet tried to choose one of the chests?
(a) They only wanted a free trip, not a real bride.
(b) Portia's dowry is insufficient.
(c) They will not be allowed to ever marry if they choose incorrectly.
(d) They realize that Portia is not as rich as they thought.
3. What does Shylock's daughter hate herself for?
(a) Being ashamed of her father.
(b) Being too stubborn to see the truth about Launcelot.
(c) Wanting to turn her back on her religion.
(d) Not taking after her mother in looks.
4. Who does Lorenzo give his letter to after reading it?
5. What does Antonio compare life on this earth to?
(a) A book.
(b) A dream.
(c) A living legend.
(d) A staged play.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Portia's suitors have to choose from in order to win her hand in marriage?
2. What does Lorenzo say Shylock's only way to Heaven will be?
3. Why does Bassanio need to borrow something from Antonio at the beginning of the book?
4. What is the consequence of a suitor choosing the wrong chest?
5. What is Shylock's daughter most ashamed of?
This section contains 273 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)