|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who wanted Ferguson's help with a procedure today?
2. What is the symbolism of Laura's touch on Ferguson's arm making him unsterile in the operating room?
3. How do the board members react to Hochberg's timetable for Ferguson?
4. What does Mary caution Ferguson about regarding going into Barbara's room?
5. Whose condition is Ferguson discussing?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Create a brief character study of Dr. Hochberg. What does he look like? What are his positive personality traits? What are some of his negative characteristics? What are his hopes and fears? What motivates him, if anything, at this point in his life?
Essay Topic 2
Inner conflict takes on an almost human persona in this story. What is this literary technique called? Cite examples that support this position.
Essay Topic 3
The author uses some important instances of foreshadowing in the story. Explain what foreshadowing is and cite at least two examples making sure to explain what makes each an instance of foreshadowing.
This section contains 230 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)