|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Mary tell Hochberg was the father of Barbara's baby?
2. What does Ferguson wonder about Barbara at this point?
3. Which character has the most empathy for everyone involved in the situation regarding the abortion?
4. What decision of Ferguson's does Hochberg question?
5. What does Ferguson respond when Laura asks if he had an affair with Barbara?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The role of women is a main topic addressed in this story. Explain the theme that extends through all the female characters. What is the presumed role of women in America during the 1930s? Explain by giving examples.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the characters of Dr. Ferguson and Dr. Cunningham. What are their roles within the story? Why is there such animosity between the two? Does their level of success create more competition between them than with any of the other men? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Kingsley is a master at dramatic devices. Choose an example of symbolism, metaphor, and irony, briefly describe them and identify the technique which they embody.
This section contains 887 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)