|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Laura have to stay away from Ferguson in the operating room?
2. What national event is affecting everyone in America at this time?
3. What does Hochberg call the person who performed Barbara's abortion?
4. What does Ferguson respond when Laura asks if he had an affair with Barbara?
5. What does Ferguson say is all he is thinking about now?
Essay Topic 1
The role of women is a main topic addressed in this story. Explain the theme that extends through all the female characters. What is the presumed role of women in America during the 1930s? Explain by giving examples.
Essay Topic 2
Create a brief character study of Dr. Hochberg. What does he look like? What are his positive personality traits? What are some of his negative characteristics? What are his hopes and fears? What motivates him, if anything, at this point in his life?
Essay Topic 3
Explain the role of men in the 1930s when the men in the play are living their adult lives. What precedents do they feel compelled to follow? What restrictions do they have? What freedoms did they have that 21st century men do not have?
This section contains 876 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)