|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What type of project are Dr. Hochberg and Dr. Ferguson working on?
2. What does Ferguson tease Laura about when he enters the room?
3. Who is Mr. Hudson's assistant?
4. Why does Barbara say she won't be able to get a good night's sleep?
5. Who enters the room as Barbara is preparing the insulin injection?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Levine reveal about his personal situation to Ferguson?
2. How was abortion viewed in the 1930s when MEN IN WHITE was written?
3. How does the author begin to show Laura as a negative force in Ferguson's life?
4. What role does Mary play in the situation in Act 2, Scene 3?
5. What are the personal crises that Ferguson experiences in Act 2, Scene 4?
6. What can now be inferred about what happened between Barbara and Ferguson after the end of Act 1?
7. What is the setting of Act 3?
8. What are some of the other elements that are foreshadowed in this scene?
9. Why does Ferguson speak harshly to Barbara and what does he do in the way of an apology?
10. How is Laura contrasted against Mrs. D'Andrea?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
MEN IN WHITE is set in the 1930s during the time of the Great Depression in America. What impact did this factor have on the author? What impact did this factor have on the characters? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Inner conflict takes on an almost human persona in this story. What is this literary technique called? Cite examples that support this position.
Essay Topic 3
Kingsley is a master at dramatic devices. Choose an example of symbolism, metaphor, and irony, briefly describe them and identify the technique which they embody.
This section contains 1,498 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)