|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Dr. Hochberg tell Laura about internships?
2. What was Levine's father's motto?
3. Why does Dr. Hochberg tell Laura she can't see Ferguson?
4. What does Dr. Cunningham order for the Smiths' daughter?
5. What does Ferguson say that doctors will have to give up in order to do what they have to do?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the author's point in introducing Barbara into the story?
2. What is the common bond that Ferguson and Barbara share?
3. What shocking thing does Barbara say before she falls unconscious?
4. Describe the romantic conversation between Ferguson and Laura about how much they care for each other.
5. How does Barbara's butchered abortion add to the ongoing discussion about medical care reform?
6. Describe the scenario where Ferguson saves Dorothy in spite of Cunningham.
7. How does the author introduce the character of Laura into the play?
8. What startling statement does Laura make to Ferguson about his work and their life together?
9. How is Laura contrasted against Mrs. D'Andrea?
10. How does the author foreshadow the role of the doctors and their spouses in the opening scene of the play?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Kingsley is a master at dramatic devices. Choose an example of symbolism, metaphor, and irony, briefly describe them and identify the technique which they embody.
Essay Topic 2
Create a brief character study of Dr. Hochberg. What does he look like? What are his positive personality traits? What are some of his negative characteristics? What are his hopes and fears? What motivates him, if anything, at this point in his life?
Essay Topic 3
Explain the role of men in the 1930s when the men in the play are living their adult lives. What precedents do they feel compelled to follow? What restrictions do they have? What freedoms did they have that 21st century men do not have?
This section contains 1,021 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)