|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following does NOT characterize Cunningham?
2. What does Ferguson want another nurse to bring?
3. What does Ferguson tell Barbara to reassure her?
4. What does Ferguson order the other nurse to bring instead of glucose?
5. What does Ferguson lend to Shorty?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Laura so upset that Ferguson has to break their party plans for the evening?
2. How does Ferguson learn that he was the father of Barbara's baby?
3. What is the scope of the many distractions doctors face which pull them away from their work?
4. What is Hochberg's opinion of Ferguson's readiness to accept an associate's position?
5. What is the setting for Act 1, Scene 1 of MEN IN WHITE?
6. What is Hochberg's role with the other doctors and what advice does Levine give Ferguson about his experience with the man?
7. How does the author show what could happen to Ferguson by revealing Levine's situation?
8. What is the author's point in introducing Barbara into the story?
9. How was abortion viewed in the 1930s when MEN IN WHITE was written?
10. How does Ferguson countermand Cunningham's orders for Dorothy's pain medication?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the role of men in the 1930s when the men in the play are living their adult lives. What precedents do they feel compelled to follow? What restrictions do they have? What freedoms did they have that 21st century men do not have?
Essay Topic 2
Kingsley is a master at dramatic devices. Choose an example of symbolism, metaphor, and irony, briefly describe them and identify the technique which they embody.
Essay Topic 3
The author uses some important instances of foreshadowing in the story. Explain what foreshadowing is and cite at least two examples making sure to explain what makes each an instance of foreshadowing.
This section contains 1,054 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)