|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ferguson want another nurse to bring?
2. What does Dr. Hochberg think might spoil Dr. Gordon's wife's plans for tonight?
3. Who is the student nurse who calls for a page for Ferguson?
4. What does Pete say was given to a patient he and Ferguson share?
5. Where does Laura say she is going as she prepares to leave Ferguson?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Hochberg try to tell Laura that Ferguson will not have much time for her if he is to become the excellent doctor he is capable of becoming?
2. What is the symbolism of Laura's grabbing Ferguson's arm, making him unsterile?
3. How does Ferguson try to appease Laura after breaking their party plans?
4. What is the setting of Act 2, Scene 1 and what characters are involved as it begins?
5. How is Laura's behavior in Act 3 so out of character for her?
6. What is the author's point in introducing Barbara into the story?
7. Why do Ferguson and Laura argue on the phone at the beginning of Act 1, Scene 4?
8. How does the author foreshadow the role of the doctors and their spouses in the opening scene of the play?
9. How does the author leave the reader with a feeling of ambiguity related to Barbara's behavior as Act 1, Scene 4 ends?
10. Ferguson witnesses two extremes of the medical profession in Levine and Pete. Describe how the author provides contrast in these two characters.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of conflict. Identify at least two themes about conflict in the book. Then cite an example to support each theme you name.
Essay Topic 2
Project into the future ten years and write a brief synopsis for the lives of Dr. Hochberg, Dr. Ferguson and Laura. Be sure to include emotional states as well as physical characteristics, geographic locations, work, hobbies, socialization, etc.
Essay Topic 3
Create a brief character study of Dr. Hochberg. What does he look like? What are his positive personality traits? What are some of his negative characteristics? What are his hopes and fears? What motivates him, if anything, at this point in his life?
This section contains 1,183 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)