|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ferguson do with the hypodermic of insulin?
2. What does Ferguson lend to Shorty?
3. Which of the following is NOT destroying Mr. Hudson?
4. What does Mr. Hudson ask the nurse to bring along with them?
5. What does Dr. Levine encourage Dr. Ferguson to do?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens that Cunningham threatens to have Ferguson brought up on disciplinary charges?
2. What does the mention of Barbara's abortion foreshadow for Ferguson?
3. How is Laura positioned in the operating room?
4. Ferguson witnesses two extremes of the medical profession in Levine and Pete. Describe how the author provides contrast in these two characters.
5. What is Hochberg's role with the other doctors and what advice does Levine give Ferguson about his experience with the man?
6. Describe the atmosphere in the play in Act 1, Scene 1.
7. What role does Mary play in the situation in Act 2, Scene 3?
8. What is the author's point in introducing Barbara into the story?
9. How does Ferguson try to appease Laura after breaking their party plans?
10. How does the author use Laura's transformation to drive home his theme?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the concept of loneliness as it exhibits in the story. Which of the characters are lonely? Are they all lonely in some way? Explain the loneliness and the methods and attempts to overcome it.
Essay Topic 2
Kingsley is a master at dramatic devices. Choose an example of symbolism, metaphor, and irony, briefly describe them and identify the technique which they embody.
Essay Topic 3
Explain the role of men in the 1930s when the men in the play are living their adult lives. What precedents do they feel compelled to follow? What restrictions do they have? What freedoms did they have that 21st century men do not have?
This section contains 1,075 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)