|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does the nurse take Mr. Hudson?
2. What does Dr. Hochberg tell Laura about internships?
3. Why does Laura get angry with her father?
4. What type of project are Dr. Hochberg and Dr. Ferguson working on?
5. What does Barbara do when Ferguson speaks sharply to her?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the author establish Ferguson's character in Act 1, Scene 3?
2. Why is Spencer unnerved about the rejection of a senator's son into the internship program?
3. What shocking thing does Barbara say before she falls unconscious?
4. How does the author leave the reader with a feeling of ambiguity related to Barbara's behavior as Act 1, Scene 4 ends?
5. How does Ferguson try to appease Laura after breaking their party plans?
6. How does Laura chastise her father for smoking?
7. What is the dramatic point that is illuminated in Act 3?
8. What is the author's point in introducing Barbara into the story?
9. What shocking information does Spencer reveal to Hochberg at the conclusion of the meeting/
10. Why does Ferguson speak harshly to Barbara and what does he do in the way of an apology?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the role of men in the 1930s when the men in the play are living their adult lives. What precedents do they feel compelled to follow? What restrictions do they have? What freedoms did they have that 21st century men do not have?
Essay Topic 2
Create a brief character study of Laura. What does she look like? What are her positive personality traits? What are some of her negative characteristics? What are her hopes and fears? What motivates her, if anything, at this point in her life?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the overall setting for the play. Why does Kingsley use the setting he does? What is the time period of the story? How important is the time period to the attitudes and issues of the characters?
This section contains 1,044 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)