|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Cunningham threaten to do to Ferguson?
2. Which of the following does Dr. Hochberg not do with Mr. Hudson's cigarette?
3. What does Ferguson advise Levine to do for his wife?
4. What does Ferguson order the other nurse to bring instead of glucose?
5. With what disease is Levine's wife diagnosed?
Short Essay Questions
1. In addition to Ferguson's need to understand his true calling to medicine, what other themes does the author present in the play?
2. How does the author foreshadow the role of the doctors and their spouses in the opening scene of the play?
3. What is the significance of the discussion about young doctors between Hochberg and McCabe?
4. How was abortion viewed in the 1930s when MEN IN WHITE was written?
5. How is Laura positioned in the operating room?
6. What are the personal crises that Ferguson experiences in Act 2, Scene 4?
7. Who is Levine and how is he introduced in the play?
8. How does Ferguson countermand Cunningham's orders for Dorothy's pain medication?
9. What is the common bond that Ferguson and Barbara share?
10. Why is Laura so upset that Ferguson has to break their party plans for the evening?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the overall setting for the play. Why does Kingsley use the setting he does? What is the time period of the story? How important is the time period to the attitudes and issues of the characters?
Essay Topic 2
Create a brief character study of Dr. Ferguson. What does he look like? What are his positive personality traits? What are some of his negative characteristics? What are his hopes and fears? What motivates him, if anything, at this point in his life?
Essay Topic 3
Create a brief character study of Laura. What does she look like? What are her positive personality traits? What are some of her negative characteristics? What are her hopes and fears? What motivates her, if anything, at this point in her life?
This section contains 1,066 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)