Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Laura say she is going as she prepares to leave Ferguson?
2. What is the setting for Act 1, Scene 1?
3. Why does Barbara say she won't be able to get a good night's sleep?
4. Who spits in the jar to provide a sputum sample?
5. Why does Barbara come to Ferguson's office?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Hochberg's role with the other doctors and what advice does Levine give Ferguson about his experience with the man?
2. How does Ferguson learn that he was the father of Barbara's baby?
3. How does Ferguson try to appease Laura after breaking their party plans?
4. In what ways does the author show that Ferguson's true calling is medicine?
5. How is Laura positioned in the operating room?
6. Why is Spencer unnerved about the rejection of a senator's son into the internship program?
7. How does the author show Hudson's personality type through his actions in the hospital room?
8. What shocking thing does Barbara say before she falls unconscious?
9. What is the symbolism of Laura's grabbing Ferguson's arm, making him unsterile?
10. What can be gleaned from Ferguson's rhetorical question about why this bad situation with Barbara is happening to him?
Essay Topic 1
Explain the concept of loneliness as it exhibits in the story. Which of the characters are lonely? Are they all lonely in some way? Explain the loneliness and the methods and attempts to overcome it.
Essay Topic 2
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of conflict. Identify at least two themes about conflict in the book. Then cite an example to support each theme you name.
Essay Topic 3
Project into the future ten years and write a brief synopsis for the lives of Dr. Hochberg, Dr. Ferguson and Laura. Be sure to include emotional states as well as physical characteristics, geographic locations, work, hobbies, socialization, etc.
This section contains 1,062 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)