|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the more senior nurse who enters Dorothy's room?
2. What medication does Cunningham order for Dorothy's pain?
3. What does Shorty ask Pete if he can borrow?
4. To what city is Dr. Ferguson going to study surgical techniques?
5. What does Ferguson lend to Shorty?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Ferguson speak harshly to Barbara and what does he do in the way of an apology?
2. How has the Depression affected the hospital's financial situation?
3. What is Hochberg's opinion of Ferguson's readiness to accept an associate's position?
4. How does Barbara's butchered abortion add to the ongoing discussion about medical care reform?
5. Why does Hochberg arrange for Laura to observe Ferguson in surgery?
6. How does the author leave the reader with a feeling of ambiguity related to Barbara's behavior as Act 1, Scene 4 ends?
7. How does the author use Laura's transformation to drive home his theme?
8. What can now be inferred about what happened between Barbara and Ferguson after the end of Act 1?
9. How does the author establish Ferguson's character in Act 1, Scene 3?
10. What is the common bond that Ferguson and Barbara share?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Create a brief character study of Barbara. What does she look like? What are her positive personality traits? What are some of her negative characteristics? What are her hopes and fears? What motivates her, if anything, at this point in her life?
Essay Topic 2
Explain the significance of the play's title. What did the author mean by calling the play MEN IN WHITE? Cite an example to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
The role of women is a main topic addressed in this story. Explain the theme that extends through all the female characters. What is the presumed role of women in America during the 1930s? Explain by giving examples.
This section contains 1,060 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)