|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Levine decide to do instead of study with Hochberg?
2. Where does Laura say she is going as she prepares to leave Ferguson?
3. What does Ferguson advise Levine to do for his wife?
4. Which of the following do the doctors and interns not do in this room?
5. Why does Barbara come to Ferguson's office?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Spencer unnerved about the rejection of a senator's son into the internship program?
2. Why has Ferguson decided to go into private practice instead of studying with Hochberg?
3. Why does Ferguson speak harshly to Barbara and what does he do in the way of an apology?
4. In what ways does the author show that Ferguson's true calling is medicine?
5. How does Ferguson countermand Cunningham's orders for Dorothy's pain medication?
6. How is Laura positioned in the operating room?
7. How is Laura's behavior in Act 3 so out of character for her?
8. Who is Levine and how is he introduced in the play?
9. What does Laura do when Ferguson tells her he had an affair with Barbara?
10. How does the author show the preparations for surgery in Act 2, Scene 4?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the concept of loneliness as it exhibits in the story. Which of the characters are lonely? Are they all lonely in some way? Explain the loneliness and the methods and attempts to overcome it.
Essay Topic 2
Create a brief character study of Barbara. What does she look like? What are her positive personality traits? What are some of her negative characteristics? What are her hopes and fears? What motivates her, if anything, at this point in her life?
Essay Topic 3
Kingsley is a master at dramatic devices. Choose an example of symbolism, metaphor, and irony, briefly describe them and identify the technique which they embody.
This section contains 1,059 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)