|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Mr. and Mrs. Smith tell Dr. Cunningham about their daughter?
2. What is Laura's nickname for Dr. Hochberg?
3. Dr. Levine was a former student of __________________.
4. What are Dr. Ferguson and Dr. Wren arguing about as they enter the room?
5. What does Ferguson note about Dorothy as she drifts off to sleep?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the author's point in introducing Barbara into the story?
2. What happens that Cunningham threatens to have Ferguson brought up on disciplinary charges?
3. Describe the situation where Barbara has trouble with Dr. Cunningham regarding an insulin injection.
4. How was abortion viewed in the 1930s when MEN IN WHITE was written?
5. Why does Ferguson speak harshly to Barbara and what does he do in the way of an apology?
6. How does Ferguson learn that he was the father of Barbara's baby?
7. How does the author use Laura's transformation to drive home his theme?
8. What does the mention of Barbara's abortion foreshadow for Ferguson?
9. What are some of the other elements that are foreshadowed in this scene?
10. How does Barbara's butchered abortion add to the ongoing discussion about medical care reform?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the overall setting for the play. Why does Kingsley use the setting he does? What is the time period of the story? How important is the time period to the attitudes and issues of the characters?
Essay Topic 2
MEN IN WHITE is set in the 1930s during the time of the Great Depression in America. What impact did this factor have on the author? What impact did this factor have on the characters? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Create a brief character study of Dr. Hochberg. What does he look like? What are his positive personality traits? What are some of his negative characteristics? What are his hopes and fears? What motivates him, if anything, at this point in his life?
This section contains 1,663 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)