|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ferguson want another nurse to bring?
2. What does Ferguson tease Mr. Hudson about?
3. What does Dr. Hochberg think might spoil Dr. Gordon's wife's plans for tonight?
4. Which of the following does NOT characterize Ferguson?
5. In what room does Act 1, Scene 1 take place?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Laura do when Ferguson tells her he had an affair with Barbara?
2. What are the personal crises that Ferguson experiences in Act 2, Scene 4?
3. What is Hochberg's opinion of Ferguson's readiness to accept an associate's position?
4. What can be gleaned from Ferguson's rhetorical question about why this bad situation with Barbara is happening to him?
5. What startling statement does Laura make to Ferguson about his work and their life together?
6. Why has Ferguson decided to go into private practice instead of studying with Hochberg?
7. What is Hochberg's role with the other doctors and what advice does Levine give Ferguson about his experience with the man?
8. How does the author use Laura's transformation to drive home his theme?
9. How does Ferguson countermand Cunningham's orders for Dorothy's pain medication?
10. What happens that Cunningham threatens to have Ferguson brought up on disciplinary charges?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Inner conflict takes on an almost human persona in this story. What is this literary technique called? Cite examples that support this position.
Essay Topic 2
Explain the concept of loneliness as it exhibits in the story. Which of the characters are lonely? Are they all lonely in some way? Explain the loneliness and the methods and attempts to overcome it.
Essay Topic 3
The setting of the book is New York City in America during the height of the Great Depression. Explain how this affected people in America overall. Then drill down to explain how people in New York, and especially the hospital, were affected.
This section contains 1,073 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)