|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the men jokingly say that Pete prefers over romance?
2. What was Levine's father's motto?
3. What does Laura say she wants to do regarding her relationship with Ferguson?
4. What does Shorty ask Pete if he can borrow?
5. What does Ferguson do with the hypodermic of insulin?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Laura contrasted against Mrs. D'Andrea?
2. How does the author show what could happen to Ferguson by revealing Levine's situation?
3. How does Laura chastise her father for smoking?
4. How is Laura positioned in the operating room?
5. In addition to Ferguson's need to understand his true calling to medicine, what other themes does the author present in the play?
6. What can be gleaned from Ferguson's rhetorical question about why this bad situation with Barbara is happening to him?
7. How does Hochberg try to tell Laura that Ferguson will not have much time for her if he is to become the excellent doctor he is capable of becoming?
8. How does the author show the preparations for surgery in Act 2, Scene 4?
9. How does Barbara's butchered abortion add to the ongoing discussion about medical care reform?
10. In what ways does the author show that Ferguson's true calling is medicine?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author uses some important instances of foreshadowing in the story. Explain what foreshadowing is and cite at least two examples making sure to explain what makes each an instance of foreshadowing.
Essay Topic 2
MEN IN WHITE is set in the 1930s during the time of the Great Depression in America. What impact did this factor have on the author? What impact did this factor have on the characters? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
The role of women is a main topic addressed in this story. Explain the theme that extends through all the female characters. What is the presumed role of women in America during the 1930s? Explain by giving examples.
This section contains 1,606 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)