|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What has happened to the patient that Ferguson was going to assist with a transfusion tonight?
2. What does Pete eat in Ferguson's office?
3. What does Dr. Cunningham order for the Smiths' daughter?
4. Which of the following is NOT destroying Mr. Hudson?
5. What do Ferguson and Barbara do after discussing their lives in the medical field?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Laura's behavior in Act 3 so out of character for her?
2. How is Laura positioned in the operating room?
3. What is the author's point in introducing Barbara into the story?
4. What shocking thing does Barbara say before she falls unconscious?
5. How does the author leave the reader with a feeling of ambiguity related to Barbara's behavior as Act 1, Scene 4 ends?
6. How does the author introduce the character of Laura into the play?
7. What can be gleaned from Ferguson's rhetorical question about why this bad situation with Barbara is happening to him?
8. How was abortion viewed in the 1930s when MEN IN WHITE was written?
9. Why is Laura so upset that Ferguson has to break their party plans for the evening?
10. How does the author begin to show Laura as a negative force in Ferguson's life?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Kingsley is a master at dramatic devices. Choose an example of symbolism, metaphor, and irony, briefly describe them and identify the technique which they embody.
Essay Topic 2
The setting of the book is New York City in America during the height of the Great Depression. Explain how this affected people in America overall. Then drill down to explain how people in New York, and especially the hospital, were affected.
Essay Topic 3
MEN IN WHITE is set in the 1930s during the time of the Great Depression in America. What impact did this factor have on the author? What impact did this factor have on the characters? Explain.
This section contains 945 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)