|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ferguson say that doctors will have to give up in order to do what they have to do?
2. What do Mr. and Mrs. Smith tell Dr. Cunningham about their daughter?
3. To what city is Dr. Ferguson going to study surgical techniques?
4. Where does the nurse take Mr. Hudson?
5. What does Shorty ask Pete if he can borrow?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Hochberg's role with the other doctors and what advice does Levine give Ferguson about his experience with the man?
2. Why does Hochberg arrange for Laura to observe Ferguson in surgery?
3. How does the author use Laura's transformation to drive home his theme?
4. How is Laura positioned in the operating room?
5. Why is Laura so upset that Ferguson has to break their party plans for the evening?
6. How does Ferguson countermand Cunningham's orders for Dorothy's pain medication?
7. How does Spencer propose that they secure Hudson as an investor?
8. What can now be inferred about what happened between Barbara and Ferguson after the end of Act 1?
9. How does the author leave the reader with a feeling of ambiguity related to Barbara's behavior as Act 1, Scene 4 ends?
10. What role does Mary play in the situation in Act 2, Scene 3?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1Even though they are both young, single women, Laura and Barbara seem very different. Compare and contrast Laura and Barbara. What similarities do they share? How are they different?
Essay Topic 2Inner conflict takes on an almost human persona in this story. What is this literary technique called? Cite examples that support this position.
Essay Topic 3The author poses three important topics in the play: abortion, healthcare funding and the relationship between the physician and society. Choose one of the topics and compare and contrast it from the 1930 to modern day America.
This section contains 1,050 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)