|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ferguson note about Dorothy as she drifts off to sleep?
2. Why does Laura get angry with her father?
3. Why is Ferguson paged?
4. Who is the chief of surgery who comes in the room looking for one of the doctors?
5. What does Ferguson want another nurse to bring?
Short Essay Questions
1. How was abortion viewed in the 1930s when MEN IN WHITE was written?
2. Why has Ferguson decided to go into private practice instead of studying with Hochberg?
3. Who is Levine and how is he introduced in the play?
4. What is the common bond that Ferguson and Barbara share?
5. Why does Ferguson speak harshly to Barbara and what does he do in the way of an apology?
6. In addition to Ferguson's need to understand his true calling to medicine, what other themes does the author present in the play?
7. How does Hochberg try to tell Laura that Ferguson will not have much time for her if he is to become the excellent doctor he is capable of becoming?
8. What does Levine reveal about his personal situation to Ferguson?
9. What does Laura do when Ferguson tells her he had an affair with Barbara?
10. How is Laura positioned in the operating room?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
MEN IN WHITE is a classic story of remaining true to yourself. What does that classification entail? Why does this play fit into this category. Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Explain the significance of the play's title. What did the author mean by calling the play MEN IN WHITE? Cite an example to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Create a brief character study of Dr. Ferguson. What does he look like? What are his positive personality traits? What are some of his negative characteristics? What are his hopes and fears? What motivates him, if anything, at this point in his life?
This section contains 1,052 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)