|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the doctor who prescribed the incorrect dosage of medicine?
2. Which of the following does NOT characterize Cunningham?
3. Who had ordered that the Smiths' daughter receive no more insulin?
4. What is the name of Dr. Ferguson's fiancee?
5. What is of concern on the x-ray that Dr. Levine has brought in to Dr. Hochberg?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are some of the other elements that are foreshadowed in this scene?
2. How does Ferguson try to appease Laura after breaking their party plans?
3. Why is Laura so upset that Ferguson has to break their party plans for the evening?
4. How does the author introduce the character of Laura into the play?
5. What is the setting of Act 3?
6. How was abortion viewed in the 1930s when MEN IN WHITE was written?
7. How does the author foreshadow the role of the doctors and their spouses in the opening scene of the play?
8. What is Hochberg's opinion of Ferguson's readiness to accept an associate's position?
9. What is the scope of the many distractions doctors face which pull them away from their work?
10. Describe the scenario where Ferguson saves Dorothy in spite of Cunningham.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The role of women is a main topic addressed in this story. Explain the theme that extends through all the female characters. What is the presumed role of women in America during the 1930s? Explain by giving examples.
Essay Topic 2
MEN IN WHITE is a classic story of remaining true to yourself. What does that classification entail? Why does this play fit into this category. Explain.
Essay Topic 3
The author uses some important instances of foreshadowing in the story. Explain what foreshadowing is and cite at least two examples making sure to explain what makes each an instance of foreshadowing.
This section contains 1,048 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)