|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Dr. Levine encourage Dr. Ferguson to do?
2. What does Dorothy ask for when she awakens?
3. What does Ferguson tease Laura about when he enters the room?
4. What do Ferguson and Barbara do after discussing their lives in the medical field?
5. With what disease is Levine's wife diagnosed?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Laura so upset that Ferguson has to break their party plans for the evening?
2. What is the setting for Act 1, Scene 1 of MEN IN WHITE?
3. How does the author use Laura's transformation to drive home his theme?
4. How does Hochberg try to tell Laura that Ferguson will not have much time for her if he is to become the excellent doctor he is capable of becoming?
5. What happens that Cunningham threatens to have Ferguson brought up on disciplinary charges?
6. What is Hochberg's role with the other doctors and what advice does Levine give Ferguson about his experience with the man?
7. What can be gleaned from Ferguson's rhetorical question about why this bad situation with Barbara is happening to him?
8. What does Laura do when Ferguson tells her he had an affair with Barbara?
9. How does the author foreshadow the role of the doctors and their spouses in the opening scene of the play?
10. What role does Mary play in the situation in Act 2, Scene 3?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the overall setting for the play. Why does Kingsley use the setting he does? What is the time period of the story? How important is the time period to the attitudes and issues of the characters?
Essay Topic 2
Even though they are both young, single women, Laura and Barbara seem very different. Compare and contrast Laura and Barbara. What similarities do they share? How are they different?
Essay Topic 3
Create a brief character study of Dr. Ferguson. What does he look like? What are his positive personality traits? What are some of his negative characteristics? What are his hopes and fears? What motivates him, if anything, at this point in his life?
This section contains 1,111 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)