|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Dr. Levine was a former student of __________________.
2. What does Dr. Hochberg say about the young doctors?
3. Who is the doctor who prescribed the incorrect dosage of medicine?
4. What does Ferguson tell Barbara to reassure her?
5. What does Ferguson advise Levine to do for his wife?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the mention of Barbara's abortion foreshadow for Ferguson?
2. How does the author establish Ferguson's character in Act 1, Scene 3?
3. What is the symbolism of Laura's grabbing Ferguson's arm, making him unsterile?
4. How was abortion viewed in the 1930s when MEN IN WHITE was written?
5. What does Levine reveal about his personal situation to Ferguson?
6. What role does Mary play in the situation in Act 2, Scene 3?
7. How does Hochberg try to tell Laura that Ferguson will not have much time for her if he is to become the excellent doctor he is capable of becoming?
8. In what ways does the author show that Ferguson's true calling is medicine?
9. How does Ferguson countermand Cunningham's orders for Dorothy's pain medication?
10. What is the setting of Act 2, Scene 1 and what characters are involved as it begins?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Even though they are both young, single women, Laura and Barbara seem very different. Compare and contrast Laura and Barbara. What similarities do they share? How are they different?
Essay Topic 2
Create a brief character study of Dr. Ferguson. What does he look like? What are his positive personality traits? What are some of his negative characteristics? What are his hopes and fears? What motivates him, if anything, at this point in his life?
Essay Topic 3
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of conflict. Identify at least two themes about conflict in the book. Then cite an example to support each theme you name.
This section contains 1,019 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)