Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Laura say she is going as she prepares to leave Ferguson?
2. What is the setting for Act 1, Scene 1?
3. Why does Barbara say she won't be able to get a good night's sleep?
4. Who spits in the jar to provide a sputum sample?
5. Why does Barbara come to Ferguson's office?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Hochberg's role with the other doctors and what advice does Levine give Ferguson about his experience with the man?
2. How does Ferguson learn that he was the father of Barbara's baby?
3. How does Ferguson try to appease Laura after breaking their party plans?
4. In what ways does the author show that Ferguson's true calling is medicine?
5. How is Laura positioned in the operating room?
6. Why is Spencer unnerved about the rejection of a senator's son into the internship program?
7. How does the author show Hudson's personality type through his actions in the hospital room?
8. What shocking thing does Barbara say before she falls unconscious?
9. What is the symbolism of Laura's grabbing Ferguson's arm, making him unsterile?
10. What can be gleaned from Ferguson's rhetorical question about why this bad situation with Barbara is happening to him?
Essay Topic 1
Explain the role of men in the 1930s when the men in the play are living their adult lives. What precedents do they feel compelled to follow? What restrictions do they have? What freedoms did they have that 21st century men do not have?
Essay Topic 2
The author uses some important instances of foreshadowing in the story. Explain what foreshadowing is and cite at least two examples making sure to explain what makes each an instance of foreshadowing.
Essay Topic 3
Create a brief character study of Dr. Hochberg. What does he look like? What are his positive personality traits? What are some of his negative characteristics? What are his hopes and fears? What motivates him, if anything, at this point in his life?
This section contains 1,076 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)