|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Dr. Hochberg tell Laura she can't see Ferguson?
(a) He's out today.
(b) He has clinic duty.
(c) He's in surgery.
(d) He's on a patient consult.
2. What does Barbara do when Ferguson speaks sharply to her?
(a) Runs out of the room.
(b) Snaps back at him.
(c) Drops a hypodermic needle.
3. What does Dr. Levine encourage Dr. Ferguson to do?
(a) Be sure to get in good with Dr. Hochberg for promotions.
(b) Get a membership at a good country club.
(c) Take golf lessons from his golf pro.
(d) Treat his time with Dr. Hochberg as valuable and unique.
4. What does Laura want Ferguson to do after they return from Vienna?
(a) Join a better club.
(b) Go into private practice.
(c) Buy a big house.
(d) Study law.
5. What does Ferguson say that doctors will have to give up in order to do what they have to do?
(a) Big caseloads.
(c) Teaching assistants.
(d) Outside influences.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ferguson advise Levine to do for his wife?
2. What do the men jokingly say that Pete prefers over romance?
3. Who is the more senior nurse who enters Dorothy's room?
4. What does Dr. Hochberg ask Dr. Levine if he has brought in addition to the x-ray?
5. Where does Laura say she is going as she prepares to leave Ferguson?
Short Essay Questions
1. What shocking thing does Barbara say before she falls unconscious?
2. How does Ferguson countermand Cunningham's orders for Dorothy's pain medication?
3. How does the author establish the upcoming conflict between Ferguson and Cunningham?
4. In what ways does the author show that Ferguson's true calling is medicine?
5. What is the significance of the discussion about young doctors between Hochberg and McCabe?
6. How does the author leave the reader with a feeling of ambiguity related to Barbara's behavior as Act 1, Scene 4 ends?
7. Describe the atmosphere in the play in Act 1, Scene 1.
8. How does the author establish Ferguson's character in Act 1, Scene 3?
9. How does the author introduce the character of Laura into the play?
10. What role does Mary play in the situation in Act 2, Scene 3?
This section contains 1,030 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)