|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following does Barbara NOT do after Ferguson leaves his office?
(a) Sits on the bed.
(b) Waits for Ferguson to return.
(c) Makes a phone call.
(d) Puts the notes on the desk.
2. What does Dr. Cunningham order for the Smiths' daughter?
(a) An insulin injection.
3. Who spits in the jar to provide a sputum sample?
(a) Dr. Ferguson.
(b) Dr. Hochberg.
(c) Dr. Gordon.
(d) Dr. Levine.
4. What was Levine's father's profession?
5. Who is the elderly doctor with whom Dr. Hochberg speaks?
(a) Dr. Matthews.
(b) Dr. McCallister.
(c) Dr. McCormick.
(d) Dr. McCabe.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Laura's nickname for Dr. Hochberg?
2. What is the shabbily dressed young man bringing for Mr. Hochberg?
3. Who enters the room as Barbara is preparing the insulin injection?
4. What does Ferguson say that doctors will have to give up in order to do what they have to do?
5. What does Ferguson offer to give Barbara?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the common bond that Ferguson and Barbara share?
2. How does the author leave the reader with a feeling of ambiguity related to Barbara's behavior as Act 1, Scene 4 ends?
3. What is the symbolism of Laura's grabbing Ferguson's arm, making him unsterile?
4. How does the author show the preparations for surgery in Act 2, Scene 4?
5. How does the author foreshadow the role of the doctors and their spouses in the opening scene of the play?
6. What does the mention of Barbara's abortion foreshadow for Ferguson?
7. In what ways does the author show that Ferguson's true calling is medicine?
8. What is the significance of the discussion about young doctors between Hochberg and McCabe?
9. How does Hochberg try to tell Laura that Ferguson will not have much time for her if he is to become the excellent doctor he is capable of becoming?
10. Why is Spencer unnerved about the rejection of a senator's son into the internship program?
This section contains 998 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)