|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following does Barbara NOT do after Ferguson leaves his office?
(a) Makes a phone call.
(b) Puts the notes on the desk.
(c) Sits on the bed.
(d) Waits for Ferguson to return.
2. What does Pete say was given to a patient he and Ferguson share?
(a) Too much morphine.
(b) Too much antihistamine.
(c) Not enough insulin.
(d) Too much insulin.
3. What does Ferguson note about Dorothy as she drifts off to sleep?
(a) Her breathing is too shallow.
(b) She has hair like Laura's.
(c) Her mouth is a bow shape.
(d) She has a surgical scar on her neck.
4. What does Laura want Ferguson to do after they return from Vienna?
(a) Join a better club.
(b) Buy a big house.
(c) Go into private practice.
(d) Study law.
5. What does Ferguson do with the hypodermic of insulin?
(a) Hides it in a drawer.
(b) Throws in away.
(c) Squirts out the insulin.
(d) Gives the injection quickly.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Laura say she wants to do regarding her relationship with Ferguson?
2. What does Cunningham threaten to do to Ferguson?
3. What does Ferguson advise Levine to do for his wife?
4. What does Dr. Cunningham order for the Smiths' daughter?
5. What does Mr. Hudson urge Laura and Ferguson to do?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the author use Laura's transformation to drive home his theme?
2. How has the Depression affected the hospital's financial situation?
3. How does the author show what could happen to Ferguson by revealing Levine's situation?
4. What is the common bond that Ferguson and Barbara share?
5. What can be gleaned from Ferguson's rhetorical question about why this bad situation with Barbara is happening to him?
6. What does the mention of Barbara's abortion foreshadow for Ferguson?
7. What is the scope of the many distractions doctors face which pull them away from their work?
8. Who is Levine and how is he introduced in the play?
9. How does Laura chastise her father for smoking?
10. Why is Spencer unnerved about the rejection of a senator's son into the internship program?
This section contains 1,081 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)