|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do Ferguson and Barbara do after discussing their lives in the medical field?
(a) Study together.
(b) Embrace and kiss.
(c) Go out to dinner.
(d) Make rounds together.
2. Why does Laura get angry with her father?
(a) He has not given his blessing for her to get married.
(b) He won't buy her a new car.
(c) He has been smoking again.
(d) He has frozen her credit cards.
3. Who is the chief of surgery who comes in the room looking for one of the doctors?
(a) Dr. Schottenstein.
(b) Dr. Hochwalt.
(c) Dr. Laux.
(d) Dr. Hochberg.
4. What does Pete eat in Ferguson's office?
(d) Chinese takeout.
5. What choice does Levine have second thoughts about?
(a) Marrying the girl he married.
(b) Remaining a Jew.
(c) Moving away from his hometown.
(d) Going to college and med school.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does the nurse take Mr. Hudson?
2. Who is the doctor who prescribed the incorrect dosage of medicine?
3. Which of the following do the doctors and interns not do in this room?
4. Why does Barbara say she won't be able to get a good night's sleep?
5. Who is the more senior nurse who enters Dorothy's room?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the dramatic point that is illuminated in Act 3?
2. What is the author's point in introducing Barbara into the story?
3. How does the author establish the upcoming conflict between Ferguson and Cunningham?
4. What is the significance of the discussion about young doctors between Hochberg and McCabe?
5. In addition to Ferguson's need to understand his true calling to medicine, what other themes does the author present in the play?
6. What can now be inferred about what happened between Barbara and Ferguson after the end of Act 1?
7. What are some of the other elements that are foreshadowed in this scene?
8. What does Laura do when Ferguson tells her he had an affair with Barbara?
9. Why does Ferguson speak harshly to Barbara and what does he do in the way of an apology?
10. Why is Laura so upset that Ferguson has to break their party plans for the evening?
This section contains 937 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)