|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Ferguson shout for down the hall?
(c) An orderly.
(d) Another nurse.
2. What does Pete say was given to a patient he and Ferguson share?
(a) Too much antihistamine.
(b) Too much morphine.
(c) Too much insulin.
(d) Not enough insulin.
3. What does Dr. Hochberg say about the young doctors?
(a) They are ambitious.
(b) They are energetic.
(c) They are green.
(d) They are dedicated.
4. With what disease is Levine's wife diagnosed?
5. Which character introduced in Act 1, Scene 3 will be important to Ferguson's life in the future?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the patient in the expensive private room in Act 1, Scene 2?
2. What interrupts the intense conversation between Laura and Ferguson?
3. Who had ordered that the Smiths' daughter receive no more insulin?
4. What are Dr. Ferguson and Dr. Wren arguing about as they enter the room?
5. What does Dorothy ask for when she awakens?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Ferguson speak harshly to Barbara and what does he do in the way of an apology?
2. Describe the atmosphere in the play in Act 1, Scene 1.
3. What is the common bond that Ferguson and Barbara share?
4. How does the author begin to show Laura as a negative force in Ferguson's life?
5. Why is Laura so upset that Ferguson has to break their party plans for the evening?
6. What is the dramatic point that is illuminated in Act 3?
7. Ferguson witnesses two extremes of the medical profession in Levine and Pete. Describe how the author provides contrast in these two characters.
8. What role does Mary play in the situation in Act 2, Scene 3?
9. How does the author foreshadow the role of the doctors and their spouses in the opening scene of the play?
10. How does Ferguson try to appease Laura after breaking their party plans?
This section contains 1,013 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)