|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The first part of Act 2, Scene 4 is a demonstration of what?
(a) Gambling techniques.
(b) Dance instruction.
(c) Medical procedure.
(d) Driving techniques.
2. Who is allowed to witness the upcoming surgery?
3. Where does Hochberg order Laura to stay?
(a) In the observation booth.
(b) In the waiting room.
(c) In the corner.
(d) In the hallway.
4. What does Ferguson respond when Laura asks if he had an affair with Barbara?
(a) It didn't mean anything.
(b) Let me explain.
5. Who does Mary tell Hochberg was the father of Barbara's baby?
(a) She doesn't say.
6. Why is Ferguson not at the hospital today?
(a) He is vacationing in Montana.
(b) He is out sick.
(c) He is attending his wedding rehearsal.
(d) He is studying in Vienna.
7. Why do the board members try to convince Hochberg to approve Ferguson in an associate's position?
(a) Ferguson would be wasted in research.
(b) Ferguson would be a good appointment and good PR for the hospital.
(c) They need Hudson's financial support for the hospital.
(d) Ferguson has the most potential of all the candidates.
8. Who is upset that his son has not been named an intern at the hospital?
(a) A senator.
(b) The governor.
9. Why does Laura have to stay away from Ferguson in the operating room?
(a) She is not sterile.
(b) She will faint.
(c) She is not trained for this.
(d) She talks too much.
10. What does Barbara tell Ferguson before she falls unconscious?
(a) She is glad he is doing the surgery.
(b) She loved him.
(c) She is frightened.
(d) She doesn't know where she is.
11. Which of the following does Laura NOT say about her father and Hochberg.
(a) They are colorless.
(b) They have no outside interests.
(c) They are flat.
(d) They are vivacious.
12. What does Hochberg tell Mary to do?
(a) Cancel his dinner reservation.
(b) Assist him in surgery.
(c) Make arrangements for the operating room.
(d) Notify Barbara's family and friends of her condition.
13. Hochberg tells Ferguson that Ferguson has every right to ______________________.
(a) Marry someone other than Laura.
(b) Change careers.
(c) Live his life the way he wants to.
(d) Marry Laura.
14. What is the setting for Act 2, Scene 2?
(a) Emergency Room.
(b) Hilton Head golf course.
(c) The hospital library.
(d) The country club bar.
15. Ferguson tells Laura that ____________ is all McCabe lives for.
(d) Fine dining.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long does Hochberg suggest that Ferguson will be ready for an associate's position?
2. What seems to get in the way of any path Ferguson thinks about pursuing?
3. What is the hospital advisory committee discussing in the boardroom?
4. How was abortion viewed during the time this play was written in the 1930s?
5. Which of the hospital employees has to have surgery?
This section contains 473 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)