|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do the two nurses say that Laura must be?
(d) A med student.
2. What does Hochberg tell Mary to do?
(a) Notify Barbara's family and friends of her condition.
(b) Make arrangements for the operating room.
(c) Assist him in surgery.
(d) Cancel his dinner reservation.
3. How was abortion viewed during the time this play was written in the 1930s?
(a) A felony.
(b) Illegal and criminal.
(c) Illegal but not criminal.
(d) A misdemeanor.
4. What surprises Ferguson in the operating room?
(a) Laura's attendance.
(b) The cold temperature.
(c) The bright lights.
(d) The music.
5. Hochberg and some of the other doctors say they can't cut expenses ___________________________.
(a) Until next year.
(b) Without cutting staff.
(c) Because they are already running lean.
(d) Without compromising services.
6. What does Ferguson respond when Laura asks if he had an affair with Barbara?
(a) Let me explain.
(b) It didn't mean anything.
7. How do the board members react to Hochberg's timetable for Ferguson?
(a) They have some reservations about it.
(b) They accept it.
(c) They are outraged.
(d) They refuse to discuss it anymore.
8. Which of the following is NOT one of the hospital business managers?
9. What is the setting for Act 2, Scene 2?
(a) The country club bar.
(b) The hospital library.
(c) Emergency Room.
(d) Hilton Head golf course.
10. What does Laura say she wants her life with Ferguson to be?
(a) Full and beautiful.
(c) Simple and quiet.
11. Why was Ferguson in such a low mood the night before?
(a) Laura dumped him.
(b) His home loan didn't go through.
(c) One of his patients died.
(d) Spencer had talked to him about the administrative job.
12. What is the setting for Act 2, Scene 3?
(a) The hospital library.
(b) The hospital emergency room.
(c) The corridor outside Barbara's hospital room.
(d) The cafe across the street from the hospital.
13. Who is upset that his son has not been named an intern at the hospital?
(a) A senator.
(c) The governor.
14. What does Ferguson wonder about Barbara at this point?
(a) Why she didn't want to keep the baby.
(b) Why she didn't tell him she needed help.
(c) Why she couldn't keep away from him.
(d) Why she didn't go to another hospital.
15. Why do the board members try to convince Hochberg to approve Ferguson in an associate's position?
(a) Ferguson would be wasted in research.
(b) Ferguson has the most potential of all the candidates.
(c) Ferguson would be a good appointment and good PR for the hospital.
(d) They need Hudson's financial support for the hospital.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Laura have to stay away from Ferguson in the operating room?
2. Where does Hochberg tell a nurse to have Laura sit?
3. What does Laura do when Ferguson admits to having an affair with Barbara?
4. Which character has the most empathy for everyone involved in the situation regarding the abortion?
5. Why does Hochberg think Ferguson should not go into private practice right away?
This section contains 538 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)