|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the doctor prescribe for Almeda?
2. How does the narrator first discover Almeda?
3. What can happen when people research history?
4. When does the narrator tell about going to Alameda's grave?
5. According to the narrator, Almeda is _____________________.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Create a brief character study on Jarvis. What does he look like? What are his positive personality traits? What are some of his negative characteristics? What are his hopes and fears? What motivates him--if anything--at this point in his life?
Essay Topic 2
The role of women is a main topic addressed in this story. Explain the theme that extends throughout the story. What is the presumed role of women in Canada during the 1880s? Explain by giving examples.
Essay Topic 3
Personal independence takes on an almost human persona in this story. What is this literary technique called? Cite examples that support this position.
This section contains 200 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)