|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Almeda consider as she sits all day?
2. What does Almeda do as she drinks her beverage?
3. What does Almeda see when she looks outside her window?
4. What shocks Almeda when she sees the woman?
5. According to the narrator, each __________ may not really matter.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the overall setting for the story. Why does Munro use the setting she does? What is the time period of the story? How important is the time period to the attitudes and issues of the characters?
Essay Topic 2
Munro uses more than one instance of irony in the book. Cite at least two examples you can identify in the story and note why they are examples of irony.
Essay Topic 3
How does Almeda symbolize the upper class of her town's society? What rights and privileges does Almeda enjoy? How does the author show the audience the position that Almeda enjoys in her town?
This section contains 210 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)