|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the author of MENESETEUNG?
2. Where does Jarvis Pouter live?
3. Almeda's lifestyle could be characterized as _______________.
4. How did Almeda's younger brother and sister die?
5. What is the narrator's name?
Short Essay Questions
1. To what does the author compare the flow of people and time?
2. How is Almeda conflicted by the possibility of Jarvis' asking her to go for a ride in the country?
3. How does the first newspaper article describe Almeda's death?
4. Into what activities does Almeda immerse herself in order to get more physically tired?
5. What does Almeda do as she sits in her dark house?
6. What news about Almeda and Jarvis is printed in the local paper?
7. What is distinctive about the protagonist?
8. What does the narrator say about making wrong conclusions about people?
9. Almeda is finally exhausted and falls asleep to be awakened by what disturbing noise?
10. What romantic overtures has Jarvis made toward Almeda?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The role of women is a main topic addressed in this story. Explain the theme that extends throughout the story. What is the presumed role of women in Canada during the 1880s? Explain by giving examples.
Essay Topic 2
MENESETEUNG is set in the 1800s, long before the women's rights movement. How is the character of Almeda presented as being ahead of her time regarding women's rights and traditional roles? What would Almeda have thought of the women's rights movement? ow would she have participated? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of women's issues. Identify at least two incidents about women's issues in the book. Then cite an example to support each.
This section contains 658 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)