|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Almeda is removed from _________________ in the town.
2. What is the undesirable part of town called?
3. What would Almeda like to receive from Jarvis?
4. MENESETEUNG is the story of a __________________.
5. Which of the following roles did Almeda not assume for her father after the death of her mother?
Short Essay Questions
1. To what can Almeda attribute part of her ill feelings this morning?
2. How is Almeda described based on the photo of her inside her book?
3. How does Almeda react to the nerve tonic from the doctor?
4. Why does Almeda weigh the existence of a man in her life?
5. What does Almeda think about in her delirious state?
6. For what reason does Almeda visit her doctor?
7. What has happened to the grape juice project Almeda had started yesterday?
8. How does the author symbolize how Almeda is out of touch with what goes on in the town, even near her own home?
9. What is the symbolism of Almeda's poem?
10. What does Almeda see when she looks outside for the noise and what does she do about what she discovers?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
MENESETEUNG is a classic story of metamorphosis and empowerment. What does that classification entail? Why does this story fit into this category? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of women's issues. Identify at least two incidents about women's issues in the book. Then cite an example to support each.
Essay Topic 3
There is much symbolism in this story regarding the Meneseteung River. What does the river symbolize for Almeda? What does it mean for her work? Explain.
This section contains 699 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)