|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Jarvis Pouter live?
2. Almeda keeps her distance both physically and _______________ in town.
3. Almeda has no instincts for _________________.
4. How is Almeda's spirit portrayed in the story?
5. What is unique about Almeda in her family?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Almeda think about in her delirious state?
2. Why is the town populated with relatively young people under the age of 50?
3. Where does Almeda live?
4. What is the story of MENESETEUNG?
5. What is Almeda's favorite topic to write about?
6. What does Almeda see when she looks outside for the noise and what does she do about what she discovers?
7. How does Almeda behave in her life?
8. What does the narrator say about making wrong conclusions about people?
9. Where and when are the protagonist's poems published?
10. How does Almeda describe the swamp she sees from her window?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Almeda loves to escape her world through reading, studying and writing poetry and this becomes an important theme throughout the book. Name at least two other themes in the story and cite two examples for each to support your answers.
Essay Topic 2
Explain the significance of the story's title. What did the author mean by calling the play MENESETEUNG? Why didn't she simply call it ALMEDA? Cite an example to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of women's issues. Identify at least two incidents about women's issues in the book. Then cite an example to support each.
This section contains 574 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)