|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Almeda visit her doctor?
(a) She has a bad cold.
(b) She has digestive problems.
(c) She can't sleep.
(d) She is having migraines.
2. What does Jarvis immediately surmise about the condition of the woman at the gate?
(a) She is in a coma.
(b) She is asleep.
(c) She is drunk.
(d) She is dead.
3. What does Jarvis tell the woman at the gate?
(a) To get to an AA meeting.
(b) To go home where she belongs.
(c) To go to breakfast with the money he gave her.
(d) To get to the homeless shelter.
4. The narrator admits to the possibility of ___________ in the story.
(a) Poetic license.
(d) High drama.
5. To what does Almeda attribute her ill feelings this morning?
(a) Food intolerance.
(c) The flu.
6. Where does Almeda go after Jarvis leaves?
(a) A cafe.
(b) The privy.
(c) Back to bed.
(d) The kitchen.
7. Why can Almeda not discern that the woman at the gate is drunk and not dead?
(a) She has led a sheltered existence.
(b) The woman has soiled herself.
(c) It is too dark.
(d) The woman is not moving.
8. What can Almeda hear outside her house?
(a) Street vendors.
9. For whom does Almeda leave a note?
(a) Her sister.
(c) Her cleaning lady.
(d) Her minister.
10. Where does the narrator go at the end of the story?
(a) Ontario Bureau of Genealogy.
(b) The local library.
(c) The Roth family gravesite.
(d) The Library of Congress.
11. What does Almeda consider as she sits all day?
(a) Writing again.
(b) Getting a job.
(c) Getting married.
(d) Planting a garden.
12. From where did the narrator get the information to write the story?
(a) Newspaper clippings.
(b) Family albums.
(c) Personal interviews.
(d) Historical clues.
13. What does Almeda plan to do with the jelly?
(a) Donate it to food banks.
(b) Give it away as Christmas gifts.
(c) Sell it to gift shops.
(d) Give it to a church fundraiser.
14. What does Almeda put on to go outside and check on the woman?
(a) A hat.
(b) A shawl.
(c) A raincoat.
(d) A cape.
15. What does Almeda see at her gate?
(a) A gun.
(b) A mob.
(c) The body of a woman.
(d) A baby in a basket.
Short Answer Questions
1. What awakens Almeda with a sense of anxiety?
2. Where was Almeda buried?
3. What makes Almeda content?
4. What does Almeda see when she looks outside her window?
5. The narrator feels that there are not enough people who _______________________.
This section contains 460 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)