|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What beverage does Almeda drink?
2. According to the narrator, each __________ may not really matter.
3. The nerve tonic is meant to __________ Almeda.
4. What is called into question at the end of the story?
5. The narrator claims that the wrong conclusions may have been made about ________________.
(b) Queen Aggie.
6. The hoodlums supposedly harassed Almeda just like they harassed ___________________.
(b) The minister.
(c) The street walkers.
(d) Queen Aggie.
7. In what year did Almeda die?
8. What can happen when people research history?
(a) They can withhold their findings.
(b) They can come to the wrong conclusions.
(c) They can destroy the facts.
(d) They can tell too much.
9. Where does Almeda go after Jarvis leaves?
(a) The privy.
(b) The kitchen.
(c) A cafe.
(d) Back to bed.
10. What does Almeda's vulnerability signify to Jarvis?
(a) She is weak.
(b) She is hysterical.
(c) She is dramatic.
(d) She is suitable for marriage.
11. What does Almeda assume about the woman slumped against her gate?
(a) She is homeless.
(b) She is a prostitute.
(c) She is dead.
(d) She is drunk.
12. How long after Almeda's death did Jarvis die?
(a) A few years later.
(b) A few days later.
(c) A few weeks later.
(d) A few months later.
13. The literary device in which Almeda experiences delirium with a tonic meant to produce calm is called what?
14. What does Jarvis decide to do with Almeda?
(a) He decides to fix her up with a friend.
(b) He decides to court her.
(c) He decides to give her stock tips.
(d) He decides to go into business with her.
15. How often does Almeda take the nerve medicine?
(a) Twice a day.
(b) Four times a day.
(c) Only once.
(d) With meals.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Almeda leave the hot, cooked grapes in overnight?
2. Which of the following does Almeda not do in order to increase her activity level?
3. This is the first time in her life that Almeda __________________________.
4. What is happening in the house to mirror Almeda's menstrual flow?
5. In addition to the woman's primitive presence, what else sickens Almeda this morning?
This section contains 406 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)