|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The hoodlums supposedly harassed Almeda just like they harassed ___________________.
(a) The minister.
(b) The street walkers.
(d) Queen Aggie.
2. What can Almeda hear outside her house?
(b) Street vendors.
3. What does Almeda assume about the woman slumped against her gate?
(a) She is homeless.
(b) She is drunk.
(c) She is dead.
(d) She is a prostitute.
4. The newspaper suggests that Almeda's death was due to _____________________.
(a) Harassment by youth.
(d) A freak accident.
5. The first news clipping in Section 6 reports Almeda's ______________ and death.
(a) Mental decline.
(b) Terminal illness.
(c) Auto accident.
6. Which of the following does Almeda not do in order to increase her activity level?
(a) Join a gym.
(b) Cleans the house.
(d) Bakes cakes.
7. When does the narrator tell about going to Alameda's grave?
8. What does Almeda put on to go outside and check on the woman?
(a) A hat.
(b) A raincoat.
(c) A shawl.
(d) A cape.
9. In addition to the woman's primitive presence, what else sickens Almeda this morning?
(a) The stench from the swamp.
(b) The new medication she's taking.
(c) Jarvis' cruelty toward the woman.
(d) Morning sickness.
10. What does the narrator say about life?
(a) It continues to flow.
(b) It is depressing.
(c) It is what a person makes of it.
(d) It is a gift.
11. What does Jarvis immediately surmise about the condition of the woman at the gate?
(a) She is dead.
(b) She is in a coma.
(c) She is asleep.
(d) She is drunk.
12. The narrator claims that the wrong conclusions may have been made about ________________.
(c) Queen Aggie.
13. What does Almeda put into her beverage?
(c) Nerve medicine.
14. What does Almeda see when she looks outside her window?
(a) A man's body lying in the street.
(b) Someone being mugged.
(c) A man beating a woman.
(d) A car accident.
15. The narrator feels that there are not enough people who _______________________.
(a) Get higher educations.
(b) Are curious enough to discover clues about people.
(c) Learn a second language.
(d) Give to charity.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jarvis tell the woman at the gate?
2. What shocks Almeda when she sees the woman?
3. What does Almeda consider as she sits all day?
4. What is the literary technique called when the narrator ends the story by discovering Almeda's grave?
5. What does Jarvis decide to do with Almeda?
This section contains 444 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)