|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When does the narrator tell about going to Alameda's grave?
2. The narrator admits to the possibility of ___________ in the story.
(b) Poetic license.
(c) High drama.
3. How often does Almeda take the nerve medicine?
(a) Only once.
(b) Twice a day.
(c) With meals.
(d) Four times a day.
4. What is the literary technique called when the narrator ends the story by discovering Almeda's grave?
5. For whom is the nerve tonic primarily prescribed?
(a) Married women.
(c) Young girls.
(d) Senior citizens.
6. What would Almeda like to include in a poem?
(a) All her experiences.
(b) A love story.
(c) A history lesson.
(d) A tragedy.
7. Who does Almeda seek out for help with the woman?
(a) Her minister.
(b) Her next door neighbor.
(d) The police.
8. The second news clipping reports ________________.
(a) Almeda's philanthropy.
(b) Jarvis and Almeda's wedding.
(c) Jarvis Poulter's death.
(d) Almeda's poetry award.
9. The nerve tonic is meant to __________ Almeda.
10. To what physical event can Almeda's mental breakthrough be compared?
11. The narrator claims that the wrong conclusions may have been made about ________________.
(d) Queen Aggie.
12. In which room does Almeda sit all day?
(a) The kitchen.
(b) The parlor.
(c) Her bedroom.
(d) The dining room.
13. The literary device in which Almeda experiences delirium with a tonic meant to produce calm is called what?
14. The narrator thinks it is important to discover ____________________.
(a) Religious artifacts.
(c) Historical clues.
15. What does Almeda do when trying to decide how to handle the situation outside her house?
(a) Turns off all the lights.
(b) Calls the police.
(c) Falls asleep.
(d) Paces the floor.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long after Almeda's death did Jarvis die?
2. What will the poem signify for Almeda?
3. Section 6 is told via what format?
4. In addition to the woman's primitive presence, what else sickens Almeda this morning?
5. The first news clipping in Section 6 reports Almeda's ______________ and death.
This section contains 382 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)