|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Almeda see when she looks outside her window?
(a) Someone being mugged.
(b) A man's body lying in the street.
(c) A car accident.
(d) A man beating a woman.
2. What does Almeda see at her gate?
(a) A mob.
(b) The body of a woman.
(c) A gun.
(d) A baby in a basket.
3. How does the narrator first discover Almeda?
(a) In her book.
(b) In a famly album.
(c) In historical records.
(d) In Canadian history books.
4. For whom does Almeda leave a note?
(a) Her cleaning lady.
(b) Her minister.
(c) Her sister.
5. What does Almeda do when trying to decide how to handle the situation outside her house?
(a) Turns off all the lights.
(b) Calls the police.
(c) Paces the floor.
(d) Falls asleep.
6. What does the narrator say about life?
(a) It is what a person makes of it.
(b) It is depressing.
(c) It continues to flow.
(d) It is a gift.
7. Section 6 is told via what format?
(c) Journal entries.
(d) Newspaper clippings.
8. To what does Almeda attribute her ill feelings this morning?
(c) The flu.
(d) Food intolerance.
9. What does Jarvis decide to do with Almeda?
(a) He decides to give her stock tips.
(b) He decides to court her.
(c) He decides to fix her up with a friend.
(d) He decides to go into business with her.
10. Where did the newspaper clippings appear?
(a) The Times.
(b) The Vidette.
(c) Poetry Monthly.
(d) The Observer.
11. What does Almeda consider as she sits all day?
(a) Planting a garden.
(b) Getting a job.
(c) Writing again.
(d) Getting married.
12. What is the literary technique called when the narrator ends the story by discovering Almeda's grave?
13. Whose obituary follows Almeda's?
(a) Her cook's.
(b) Her father's.
(c) Queen Aggie.
14. Why does Almeda visit her doctor?
(a) She has a bad cold.
(b) She can't sleep.
(c) She has digestive problems.
(d) She is having migraines.
15. The hoodlums supposedly harassed Almeda just like they harassed ___________________.
(b) The minister.
(c) The street walkers.
(d) Queen Aggie.
Short Answer Questions
1. What makes Almeda content?
2. To what physical event can Almeda's mental breakthrough be compared?
3. What does Almeda decide to call her poem?
4. What does Almeda assume about the woman slumped against her gate?
5. What awakens Almeda with a sense of anxiety?
This section contains 403 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)