|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How often does Almeda take the nerve medicine?
(a) Only once.
(b) Four times a day.
(c) Twice a day.
(d) With meals.
2. The nerve tonic is meant to __________ Almeda.
3. What can Almeda hear outside her house?
(a) Street vendors.
4. The first news clipping in Section 6 reports Almeda's ______________ and death.
(a) Mental decline.
(b) Terminal illness.
(c) Auto accident.
5. What does Jarvis decide to do with Almeda?
(a) He decides to go into business with her.
(b) He decides to fix her up with a friend.
(c) He decides to court her.
(d) He decides to give her stock tips.
6. The narrator feels that there are not enough people who _______________________.
(a) Learn a second language.
(b) Are curious enough to discover clues about people.
(c) Get higher educations.
(d) Give to charity.
7. What does Jarvis do to the woman at the gate?
(a) Kicks her.
(b) Spits on her.
(c) Throws water on her.
(d) Helps her up.
8. The narrator has _____________ many details of the story.
(d) Guessed on.
9. What does Almeda do as she drinks her beverage?
(a) Browses her book shelves.
(b) Reads a magazine.
(c) Sits in her dark house.
(d) Talks on the phone.
10. The narrator claims that the wrong conclusions may have been made about ________________.
(d) Queen Aggie.
11. Who does Almeda visit in Section 4.
12. What does Jarvis tell the woman at the gate?
(a) To go home where she belongs.
(b) To get to an AA meeting.
(c) To get to the homeless shelter.
(d) To go to breakfast with the money he gave her.
13. To what physical event can Almeda's mental breakthrough be compared?
14. How long after Almeda's death did Jarvis die?
(a) A few years later.
(b) A few weeks later.
(c) A few days later.
(d) A few months later.
15. How does the narrator first discover Almeda?
(a) In her book.
(b) In Canadian history books.
(c) In a famly album.
(d) In historical records.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the literary technique called when the narrator ends the story by discovering Almeda's grave?
2. What does the narrator hope to find at the end of the story?
3. What makes Almeda content?
4. What does Jarvis immediately surmise about the condition of the woman at the gate?
5. Where does Almeda go after Jarvis leaves?
This section contains 411 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)