|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What overflows in Almeda's house?
(a) The kitchen sink.
(b) The grape juice.
(c) The commode.
(d) The bathtub.
2. What does the doctor prescribe for Almeda?
(a) Milk of Magnesia.
(b) Nerve medicine.
(d) Vitamin C.
3. Where does Almeda go after Jarvis leaves?
(a) The privy.
(b) A cafe.
(c) The kitchen.
(d) Back to bed.
4. What does Jarvis do to the woman at the gate?
(a) Helps her up.
(b) Throws water on her.
(c) Kicks her.
(d) Spits on her.
5. What does Almeda see when she looks outside her window?
(a) A man beating a woman.
(b) Someone being mugged.
(c) A car accident.
(d) A man's body lying in the street.
6. What does Jarvis decide to do with Almeda?
(a) He decides to give her stock tips.
(b) He decides to go into business with her.
(c) He decides to fix her up with a friend.
(d) He decides to court her.
7. What does Almeda put on her front door?
(a) A bell.
(b) A note.
(c) A Halloween decoration.
(d) A Christmas decoration.
8. In which room does Almeda sit all day?
(a) The parlor.
(b) Her bedroom.
(c) The kitchen.
(d) The dining room.
9. In addition to the woman's primitive presence, what else sickens Almeda this morning?
(a) The stench from the swamp.
(b) Morning sickness.
(c) Jarvis' cruelty toward the woman.
(d) The new medication she's taking.
10. Whose obituary follows Almeda's?
(a) Queen Aggie.
(b) Her cook's.
(d) Her father's.
11. Why can Almeda not discern that the woman at the gate is drunk and not dead?
(a) It is too dark.
(b) The woman is not moving.
(c) She has led a sheltered existence.
(d) The woman has soiled herself.
12. Section 6 is told via what format?
(b) Journal entries.
(d) Newspaper clippings.
13. What does Almeda leave the hot, cooked grapes in overnight?
(a) Cheesecloth bag.
(b) Big bowls.
(c) Food strainer.
14. On what does Almeda sit?
(a) The floor.
(b) Her bed.
(c) A divan.
(d) Lots of pillows.
15. The nerve tonic is meant to __________ Almeda.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the doctor think would make Almeda feel better?
2. The narrator could not possibly know ________________________.
3. Almeda thinks the items around her ________________.
4. What can happen when people research history?
5. What does Almeda assume about the woman slumped against her gate?
This section contains 403 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)