|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. To what does Almeda attribute her ill feelings this morning?
(a) The flu.
(b) Food intolerance.
2. What would Almeda love to write?
(a) A history book.
(b) A love story.
(c) A book of essays.
(d) One amazing poem.
3. Which of the following does Almeda not do in order to increase her activity level?
(a) Join a gym.
(b) Cleans the house.
(c) Bakes cakes.
4. What literary technique does the author use to compare the flow of Almeda's emotional pain to a river?
5. What does the narrator say about life?
(a) It is a gift.
(b) It continues to flow.
(c) It is depressing.
(d) It is what a person makes of it.
6. Which of the following does the doctor not recommend for Almeda?
(a) Joining a garden club.
(b) Doing the laundry.
(c) Scrubbing floors.
(d) Washing dishes.
7. Almeda thinks the items around her ________________.
(a) Are shabby.
(b) Are beautiful.
(c) Come alive.
(d) Are out of style.
8. What information about Almeda is published in the local paper?
(a) Her engagement picture.
(b) Her obituary.
(c) Her poetry award.
(d) Her wedding announcement.
9. As the day progresses, Almeda is in a state of _______________.
10. What will the poem signify for Almeda?
(a) The channeling of all brutal and unpleasant aspects of life.
(b) A way for people to know the real Almeda.
(c) An opportunity to be famous.
(d) The chance to get published.
11. What does Almeda think she hears outside?
(a) A street light being broken.
(b) Someone being murdered.
(c) A rock thrown through her window.
(d) A gunshot.
12. The narrator could not possibly know ________________________.
(a) Almeda's thoughts.
(b) What church Almeda attended.
(c) What Almeda wore.
(d) What Almeda wrote.
13. What shocks Almeda when she sees the woman?
(a) Her wounds.
(b) Her age.
(c) Her beauty.
(d) Her primal state.
14. Section 6 is told via what format?
(a) Journal entries.
(c) Newspaper clippings.
15. What does Jarvis tell the woman at the gate?
(a) To go to breakfast with the money he gave her.
(b) To get to an AA meeting.
(c) To get to the homeless shelter.
(d) To go home where she belongs.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jarvis decide to do with Almeda?
2. What makes Almeda content?
3. In which room does Almeda sit all day?
4. What kind of jelly does Almeda decide to make one day?
5. What does Jarvis immediately surmise about the condition of the woman at the gate?
This section contains 437 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)