|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. This is the first time in her life that Almeda __________________________.
(a) Has spent all day in her nightclothes.
(c) Has been drunk.
(d) Has slept all day.
2. What kind of jelly does Almeda decide to make one day?
3. The narrator thinks it is fair to _______________.
(a) Assume some things.
(b) Create high drama.
(c) Fictionalize a person.
(d) Bend the truth.
4. What can Almeda hear outside her house?
(b) Street vendors.
5. What information about Almeda is published in the local paper?
(a) Her engagement picture.
(b) Her wedding announcement.
(c) Her poetry award.
(d) Her obituary.
6. Where does Almeda go after Jarvis leaves?
(a) The kitchen.
(b) A cafe.
(c) The privy.
(d) Back to bed.
7. Which of the following does Jarvis not do at Almeda's house this morning?
(a) Come onto the porch.
(b) Retreat without knocking.
(c) Retrieve a note.
(d) Knock on the door.
8. The literary device in which Almeda experiences delirium with a tonic meant to produce calm is called what?
9. Why can Almeda not discern that the woman at the gate is drunk and not dead?
(a) The woman is not moving.
(b) The woman has soiled herself.
(c) It is too dark.
(d) She has led a sheltered existence.
10. Who does Almeda visit in Section 4.
11. What does Almeda decide to call her poem?
(a) The Mississippi.
(b) The Monongahela.
(c) The Missouri.
(d) The Meneseteung.
12. What would Almeda love to write?
(a) A history book.
(b) A love story.
(c) One amazing poem.
(d) A book of essays.
13. What beverage does Almeda drink?
14. Which of the following is not a state into which Almeda goes as a result of the nerve tonic?
(a) Higher creativity.
15. What does Almeda put into her beverage?
(a) Nerve medicine.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does the narrator go at the end of the story?
2. The first news clipping in Section 6 reports Almeda's ______________ and death.
3. What shocks Almeda when she sees the woman?
4. In addition to the woman's primitive presence, what else sickens Almeda this morning?
5. The newspaper suggests that Almeda's death was due to _____________________.
This section contains 390 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)