|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The narrator admits to the possibility of ___________ in the story.
(b) High drama.
(c) Poetic license.
2. How long after Almeda's death did Jarvis die?
(a) A few months later.
(b) A few years later.
(c) A few weeks later.
(d) A few days later.
3. What does the narrator hope to find at the end of the story?
(a) Almeda's house.
(b) Almeda's grave.
(c) The Meneseteung River.
(d) Jarvis Poulter's grave.
4. What does Almeda put on to go outside and check on the woman?
(a) A hat.
(b) A shawl.
(c) A cape.
(d) A raincoat.
5. Where was Almeda buried?
(a) The Roth family gravesite.
(b) A cemetery for Canadian poets.
(c) She was cremated and her ashes scattered.
(d) At the mouth of the Meneseteung River.
6. What does Almeda see when she looks outside her window?
(a) A man beating a woman.
(b) Someone being mugged.
(c) A car accident.
(d) A man's body lying in the street.
7. According to the narrator, each __________ may not really matter.
8. For whom does Almeda leave a note?
(a) Her sister.
(b) Her cleaning lady.
(d) Her minister.
9. From where did the narrator get the information to write the story?
(a) Historical clues.
(b) Personal interviews.
(c) Family albums.
(d) Newspaper clippings.
10. The newspaper suggests that Almeda's death was due to _____________________.
(b) Harassment by youth.
(d) A freak accident.
11. The second news clipping reports ________________.
(a) Almeda's poetry award.
(b) Jarvis Poulter's death.
(c) Almeda's philanthropy.
(d) Jarvis and Almeda's wedding.
12. Where does Jarvis take Almeda today?
(a) To a concert.
(b) To church.
(c) To the theater.
(d) To dinner.
13. What can Almeda hear outside her house?
(c) Street vendors.
14. As the day progresses, Almeda is in a state of _______________.
15. On what does Almeda sit?
(a) A divan.
(b) Her bed.
(c) The floor.
(d) Lots of pillows.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to the narrator, Almeda is _____________________.
2. In what country is the Meneseteung River located?
3. What does Jarvis tell the woman at the gate?
4. To what physical event can Almeda's mental breakthrough be compared?
5. What literary technique does the author use to compare the flow of Almeda's emotional pain to a river?
This section contains 379 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)