|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. This is the first time in her life that Almeda __________________________.
(a) Has been drunk.
(b) Has slept all day.
(d) Has spent all day in her nightclothes.
2. Who does Almeda visit in Section 4.
3. The first news clipping in Section 6 reports Almeda's ______________ and death.
(a) Mental decline.
(b) Terminal illness.
(d) Auto accident.
4. What does Almeda do when trying to decide how to handle the situation outside her house?
(a) Falls asleep.
(b) Calls the police.
(c) Paces the floor.
(d) Turns off all the lights.
5. How does the narrator first discover Almeda?
(a) In Canadian history books.
(b) In historical records.
(c) In a famly album.
(d) In her book.
6. What would Almeda love to write?
(a) A love story.
(b) One amazing poem.
(c) A history book.
(d) A book of essays.
7. What beverage does Almeda drink?
8. What does Almeda conclude is her life's work?
(a) To be.
(b) To write.
(c) To explore.
(d) To teach.
9. The narrator claims that the wrong conclusions may have been made about ________________.
(b) Queen Aggie.
10. Where does the narrator go at the end of the story?
(a) Ontario Bureau of Genealogy.
(b) The Roth family gravesite.
(c) The Library of Congress.
(d) The local library.
11. What does Almeda see at her gate?
(a) A baby in a basket.
(b) A mob.
(c) The body of a woman.
(d) A gun.
12. What literary technique does the author use to compare the flow of Almeda's emotional pain to a river?
13. On what does Almeda sit?
(a) A divan.
(b) Lots of pillows.
(c) Her bed.
(d) The floor.
14. Why can Almeda not discern that the woman at the gate is drunk and not dead?
(a) The woman is not moving.
(b) The woman has soiled herself.
(c) She has led a sheltered existence.
(d) It is too dark.
15. According to the narrator, each __________ may not really matter.
Short Answer Questions
1. To what does Almeda attribute her ill feelings this morning?
2. What does Almeda leave the hot, cooked grapes in overnight?
3. The narrator feels that there are not enough people who _______________________.
4. What overflows in Almeda's house?
5. The newspaper suggests that Almeda's death was due to _____________________.
This section contains 388 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)