|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Jarvis' callous behavior show to Almeda?
(a) He is very strong.
(b) He is a man's man.
(c) She is no longer interested in him.
(d) He is foul-mouthed.
2. What is called into question at the end of the story?
3. What will the poem signify for Almeda?
(a) A way for people to know the real Almeda.
(b) An opportunity to be famous.
(c) The chance to get published.
(d) The channeling of all brutal and unpleasant aspects of life.
4. The narrator claims that the wrong conclusions may have been made about ________________.
(b) Queen Aggie.
5. The first news clipping in Section 6 reports Almeda's ______________ and death.
(b) Terminal illness.
(c) Auto accident.
(d) Mental decline.
6. What does Almeda leave the hot, cooked grapes in overnight?
(a) Cheesecloth bag.
(c) Food strainer.
(d) Big bowls.
7. In addition to the woman's primitive presence, what else sickens Almeda this morning?
(a) Jarvis' cruelty toward the woman.
(b) The new medication she's taking.
(c) Morning sickness.
(d) The stench from the swamp.
8. What does Almeda do as she drinks her beverage?
(a) Talks on the phone.
(b) Sits in her dark house.
(c) Reads a magazine.
(d) Browses her book shelves.
9. What awakens Almeda with a sense of anxiety?
(a) A thud in the kitchen.
(b) Sounds of angry people.
(c) A thunderstorm.
(d) The sound of breaking glass.
10. Where did the newspaper clippings appear?
(a) Poetry Monthly.
(b) The Times.
(c) The Observer.
(d) The Vidette.
11. What is happening in the house to mirror Almeda's menstrual flow?
(a) Overflowing pitcher of cranberry juice.
(b) A spilled bottle of wine.
(c) Overflowing grape juice.
(d) A bottle of red wine vinegar.
12. What does Almeda put on to go outside and check on the woman?
(a) A hat.
(b) A raincoat.
(c) A cape.
(d) A shawl.
13. The narrator thinks it is important to discover ____________________.
(a) Historical clues.
(d) Religious artifacts.
14. According to the narrator, Almeda is _____________________.
(a) Completely unique.
(b) One of thousands of women.
15. The second news clipping reports ________________.
(a) Jarvis Poulter's death.
(b) Almeda's poetry award.
(c) Almeda's philanthropy.
(d) Jarvis and Almeda's wedding.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jarvis decide to do with Almeda?
2. The narrator admits to the possibility of ___________ in the story.
3. Who does Almeda visit in Section 4.
4. What does Jarvis do to the woman at the gate?
5. The hoodlums supposedly harassed Almeda just like they harassed ___________________.
This section contains 421 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)