|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Almeda stop taking the nerve medicine?
(a) It gives her wild dreams.
(b) She is too sleepy.
(c) She gets jittery.
(d) It makes her nauseous.
2. The narrator thinks it is fair to _______________.
(a) Assume some things.
(b) Bend the truth.
(c) Create high drama.
(d) Fictionalize a person.
3. What does Almeda conclude is her life's work?
(a) To teach.
(b) To be.
(c) To explore.
(d) To write.
4. The newspaper suggests that Almeda's death was due to _____________________.
(a) Harassment by youth.
(c) A freak accident.
5. To what does Almeda attribute her ill feelings this morning?
(a) Food intolerance.
(d) The flu.
6. The nerve tonic is meant to __________ Almeda.
7. What information about Almeda is published in the local paper?
(a) Her wedding announcement.
(b) Her engagement picture.
(c) Her obituary.
(d) Her poetry award.
8. When does the narrator tell about going to Alameda's grave?
9. What does the doctor prescribe for Almeda?
(a) Nerve medicine.
(b) Vitamin C.
(c) Milk of Magnesia.
10. What is happening in the house to mirror Almeda's menstrual flow?
(a) A spilled bottle of wine.
(b) Overflowing grape juice.
(c) Overflowing pitcher of cranberry juice.
(d) A bottle of red wine vinegar.
11. Where does the narrator go at the end of the story?
(a) Ontario Bureau of Genealogy.
(b) The Roth family gravesite.
(c) The local library.
(d) The Library of Congress.
12. Which of the following does the doctor not recommend for Almeda?
(a) Doing the laundry.
(b) Washing dishes.
(c) Scrubbing floors.
(d) Joining a garden club.
13. What does Almeda assume about the woman slumped against her gate?
(a) She is dead.
(b) She is drunk.
(c) She is a prostitute.
(d) She is homeless.
14. What does Almeda put on to go outside and check on the woman?
(a) A shawl.
(b) A raincoat.
(c) A cape.
(d) A hat.
15. What does Almeda see at her gate?
(a) A baby in a basket.
(b) A gun.
(c) The body of a woman.
(d) A mob.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what year did Almeda die?
2. What shocks Almeda when she sees the woman?
3. How does the narrator first discover Almeda?
4. On what does Almeda sit?
5. Who does Almeda seek out for help with the woman?
This section contains 373 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)