|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What can happen when people research history?
(a) They can withhold their findings.
(b) They can tell too much.
(c) They can destroy the facts.
(d) They can come to the wrong conclusions.
2. What does Almeda do when trying to decide how to handle the situation outside her house?
(a) Calls the police.
(b) Paces the floor.
(c) Turns off all the lights.
(d) Falls asleep.
3. From where did the narrator get the information to write the story?
(a) Family albums.
(b) Historical clues.
(c) Newspaper clippings.
(d) Personal interviews.
4. Why can Almeda not discern that the woman at the gate is drunk and not dead?
(a) The woman has soiled herself.
(b) The woman is not moving.
(c) It is too dark.
(d) She has led a sheltered existence.
5. Who does Almeda visit in Section 4.
6. What is called into question at the end of the story?
7. In which room does Almeda sit all day?
(a) Her bedroom.
(b) The kitchen.
(c) The parlor.
(d) The dining room.
8. In addition to the woman's primitive presence, what else sickens Almeda this morning?
(a) The new medication she's taking.
(b) Jarvis' cruelty toward the woman.
(c) Morning sickness.
(d) The stench from the swamp.
9. Almeda thinks the items around her ________________.
(a) Are beautiful.
(b) Are shabby.
(c) Are out of style.
(d) Come alive.
10. What does Almeda decide to call her poem?
(a) The Missouri.
(b) The Meneseteung.
(c) The Mississippi.
(d) The Monongahela.
11. Which of the following does Jarvis not do at Almeda's house this morning?
(a) Retrieve a note.
(b) Come onto the porch.
(c) Knock on the door.
(d) Retreat without knocking.
12. What does Almeda put on her front door?
(a) A Christmas decoration.
(b) A note.
(c) A Halloween decoration.
(d) A bell.
13. What does Almeda put into her beverage?
(d) Nerve medicine.
14. Where does the narrator go at the end of the story?
(a) Ontario Bureau of Genealogy.
(b) The local library.
(c) The Library of Congress.
(d) The Roth family gravesite.
15. The second news clipping reports ________________.
(a) Jarvis Poulter's death.
(b) Almeda's philanthropy.
(c) Jarvis and Almeda's wedding.
(d) Almeda's poetry award.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jarvis immediately surmise about the condition of the woman at the gate?
2. What shocks Almeda when she sees the woman?
3. The nerve tonic is meant to __________ Almeda.
4. What overflows in Almeda's house?
5. Which of the following does Jarvis not note about Almeda this morning?
This section contains 417 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)