|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Almeda do when trying to decide how to handle the situation outside her house?
(a) Calls the police.
(b) Paces the floor.
(c) Turns off all the lights.
(d) Falls asleep.
2. On what does Almeda sit?
(a) A divan.
(b) Her bed.
(c) Lots of pillows.
(d) The floor.
3. For whom is the nerve tonic primarily prescribed?
(a) Young girls.
(b) Married women.
(d) Senior citizens.
4. What does Almeda put on to go outside and check on the woman?
(a) A raincoat.
(b) A hat.
(c) A shawl.
(d) A cape.
5. Why can Almeda not discern that the woman at the gate is drunk and not dead?
(a) She has led a sheltered existence.
(b) It is too dark.
(c) The woman is not moving.
(d) The woman has soiled herself.
6. To what physical event can Almeda's mental breakthrough be compared?
7. What does Almeda assume about the woman slumped against her gate?
(a) She is drunk.
(b) She is homeless.
(c) She is dead.
(d) She is a prostitute.
8. What can happen when people research history?
(a) They can withhold their findings.
(b) They can tell too much.
(c) They can come to the wrong conclusions.
(d) They can destroy the facts.
9. What does Almeda consider as she sits all day?
(a) Getting a job.
(b) Writing again.
(c) Planting a garden.
(d) Getting married.
10. What is happening in the house to mirror Almeda's menstrual flow?
(a) A spilled bottle of wine.
(b) A bottle of red wine vinegar.
(c) Overflowing grape juice.
(d) Overflowing pitcher of cranberry juice.
11. How often does Almeda take the nerve medicine?
(a) Only once.
(b) Four times a day.
(c) Twice a day.
(d) With meals.
12. What does Jarvis do to the woman at the gate?
(a) Helps her up.
(b) Spits on her.
(c) Kicks her.
(d) Throws water on her.
13. Who does Almeda visit in Section 4.
14. This is the first time in her life that Almeda __________________________.
(a) Has spent all day in her nightclothes.
(b) Has been drunk.
(d) Has slept all day.
15. For whom does Almeda leave a note?
(a) Her sister.
(b) Her cleaning lady.
(d) Her minister.
Short Answer Questions
1. The narrator thinks it is fair to _______________.
2. Where did the newspaper clippings appear?
3. What is called into question at the end of the story?
4. Which of the following does the doctor not recommend for Almeda?
5. What revelation does the narrator share about Almeda's story?
This section contains 424 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)