|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following does Jarvis not note about Almeda this morning?
(a) Her hair is undone.
(b) She is in her night clothes.
(c) She is vulnerable.
(d) She is defiant.
2. What does Almeda leave the hot, cooked grapes in overnight?
(b) Cheesecloth bag.
(c) Food strainer.
(d) Big bowls.
3. The narrator claims that the wrong conclusions may have been made about ________________.
(d) Queen Aggie.
4. On what does Almeda sit?
(a) Her bed.
(b) A divan.
(c) The floor.
(d) Lots of pillows.
5. What would Almeda like to include in a poem?
(a) A tragedy.
(b) A love story.
(c) All her experiences.
(d) A history lesson.
6. In addition to the woman's primitive presence, what else sickens Almeda this morning?
(a) Morning sickness.
(b) Jarvis' cruelty toward the woman.
(c) The stench from the swamp.
(d) The new medication she's taking.
7. What does Jarvis do to the woman at the gate?
(a) Helps her up.
(b) Spits on her.
(c) Kicks her.
(d) Throws water on her.
8. What does Almeda see at her gate?
(a) The body of a woman.
(b) A mob.
(c) A baby in a basket.
(d) A gun.
9. What does Almeda put into her beverage?
(d) Nerve medicine.
10. Section 6 is told via what format?
(a) Journal entries.
(c) Newspaper clippings.
11. What is the literary technique called when the narrator ends the story by discovering Almeda's grave?
12. The first news clipping in Section 6 reports Almeda's ______________ and death.
(b) Auto accident.
(c) Terminal illness.
(d) Mental decline.
13. Which of the following does Jarvis not do at Almeda's house this morning?
(a) Retreat without knocking.
(b) Knock on the door.
(c) Come onto the porch.
(d) Retrieve a note.
14. Almeda thinks the items around her ________________.
(a) Come alive.
(b) Are out of style.
(c) Are beautiful.
(d) Are shabby.
15. Where was Almeda buried?
(a) She was cremated and her ashes scattered.
(b) The Roth family gravesite.
(c) At the mouth of the Meneseteung River.
(d) A cemetery for Canadian poets.
Short Answer Questions
1. As the day progresses, Almeda is in a state of _______________.
2. What does the doctor think would make Almeda feel better?
3. What does Almeda conclude is her life's work?
4. The nerve tonic is meant to __________ Almeda.
5. What kind of jelly does Almeda decide to make one day?
This section contains 373 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)