|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following does Jarvis not note about Almeda this morning?
(a) Her hair is undone.
(b) She is vulnerable.
(c) She is defiant.
(d) She is in her night clothes.
2. The narrator admits to the possibility of ___________ in the story.
(b) High drama.
(c) Poetic license.
3. What does Almeda conclude is her life's work?
(a) To be.
(b) To write.
(c) To teach.
(d) To explore.
4. What does Almeda think she hears outside?
(a) Someone being murdered.
(b) A rock thrown through her window.
(c) A street light being broken.
(d) A gunshot.
5. Section 6 is told via what format?
(a) Newspaper clippings.
(c) Journal entries.
6. What does the narrator hope to find at the end of the story?
(a) The Meneseteung River.
(b) Almeda's grave.
(c) Jarvis Poulter's grave.
(d) Almeda's house.
7. This is the first time in her life that Almeda __________________________.
(b) Has slept all day.
(c) Has spent all day in her nightclothes.
(d) Has been drunk.
8. When does the narrator tell about going to Alameda's grave?
9. What will the poem signify for Almeda?
(a) An opportunity to be famous.
(b) The chance to get published.
(c) A way for people to know the real Almeda.
(d) The channeling of all brutal and unpleasant aspects of life.
10. What does Jarvis immediately surmise about the condition of the woman at the gate?
(a) She is asleep.
(b) She is drunk.
(c) She is dead.
(d) She is in a coma.
11. Whose obituary follows Almeda's?
(a) Her father's.
(b) Her cook's.
(d) Queen Aggie.
12. What does Jarvis decide to do with Almeda?
(a) He decides to give her stock tips.
(b) He decides to go into business with her.
(c) He decides to fix her up with a friend.
(d) He decides to court her.
13. The second news clipping reports ________________.
(a) Jarvis Poulter's death.
(b) Almeda's philanthropy.
(c) Jarvis and Almeda's wedding.
(d) Almeda's poetry award.
14. What is called into question at the end of the story?
15. Who does Almeda visit in Section 4.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jarvis do to the woman at the gate?
2. What can Almeda hear outside her house?
3. Why does Almeda visit her doctor?
4. The narrator claims that the wrong conclusions may have been made about ________________.
5. What does Almeda's vulnerability signify to Jarvis?
This section contains 404 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)