|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the narrator hope to find at the end of the story?
(a) Almeda's house.
(b) Jarvis Poulter's grave.
(c) The Meneseteung River.
(d) Almeda's grave.
2. On what does Almeda sit?
(a) Lots of pillows.
(b) Her bed.
(c) The floor.
(d) A divan.
3. What is happening in the house to mirror Almeda's menstrual flow?
(a) A bottle of red wine vinegar.
(b) Overflowing grape juice.
(c) Overflowing pitcher of cranberry juice.
(d) A spilled bottle of wine.
4. According to the narrator, Almeda is _____________________.
(a) Completely unique.
(b) One of thousands of women.
5. What would Almeda like to include in a poem?
(a) A tragedy.
(b) A history lesson.
(c) A love story.
(d) All her experiences.
6. Who does Almeda seek out for help with the woman?
(a) Her next door neighbor.
(c) Her minister.
(d) The police.
7. The newspaper suggests that Almeda's death was due to _____________________.
(c) Harassment by youth.
(d) A freak accident.
8. What kind of jelly does Almeda decide to make one day?
9. To what does Almeda attribute her ill feelings this morning?
(c) The flu.
(d) Food intolerance.
10. The narrator could not possibly know ________________________.
(a) Almeda's thoughts.
(b) What church Almeda attended.
(c) What Almeda wrote.
(d) What Almeda wore.
11. How does the narrator first discover Almeda?
(a) In Canadian history books.
(b) In historical records.
(c) In her book.
(d) In a famly album.
12. In addition to the woman's primitive presence, what else sickens Almeda this morning?
(a) The stench from the swamp.
(b) Morning sickness.
(c) The new medication she's taking.
(d) Jarvis' cruelty toward the woman.
13. This is the first time in her life that Almeda __________________________.
(a) Has spent all day in her nightclothes.
(b) Has been drunk.
(c) Has slept all day.
14. In what year did Almeda die?
15. What is called into question at the end of the story?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Almeda see when she looks outside her window?
2. The nerve tonic is meant to __________ Almeda.
3. The narrator has _____________ many details of the story.
4. The narrator thinks it is fair to _______________.
5. Where was Almeda buried?
This section contains 382 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)