|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What had caused Guy and his friend's license plate to get dirty in the story "Che Ti Dice La Patria?"
2. What relationship does Pinn have to the major in "A Simple Enquiry"?
3. In "A Simple Enquiry," what does the major call Pinn?
4. In the story "Che Ti Dice La Patria?" what city do Guy and his friend stop for lunch, when they are teased by some prostitutes?
5. In "The Undefeated," what does Manuel use to kill the bull?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do the people of Milan hate the group of four young men walking through the streets?
2. What does Jack ask Jerry to do with him, to keep him company in "Fifty Grand"?
3. Why does the major think that Pinn is lying to him about being corrupt to his girlfriend in "A Single Enquiry"?
4. What theme is the girl in "Hills Like White Elephants" suggesting by saying that they can never get their life back, once she has had the operation?
5. What does the young man in “Che Ti Dice La Patria” do that Guy and his friend think is so strange?
6. How would you describe Jack’s attitude toward his fight?
7. In "A Single Enquiry," what does the major tell Pinn about him staying on as his orderly?
8. What is Guy proud to be taken for when he is traveling through Italy in “Che Ti Dice La Patria”?
9. How does the girl view the ways they will change after the operation in "Hills Like White Elephants"?
10. What causes Guy and his friend's car “number” to get dirty, resulting in a facist giving them a ticket?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay discussing symbolism in the novel. Choose three different symbols that are used in the novel and explain how Hemingway uses them to strengthen one of his overarching themes.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay explaining how the author uses characters from war to depict the theme of the inevitability of aging. Describe how characters respond to the aging process and explain what this viewpoint suggests about the author.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay explaining the significance of the title of the book. How does the title support Hemingway’s theme of loneliness and overall narrative tone?
This section contains 656 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)