|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At the end of "An Alpine Idyll," what do the two men (the main characters) do?
(a) Drink lots of schnapps.
(b) Eat dinner.
(c) Return to their rooms and go to sleep.
(d) Follow the peasant home.
2. What animal is the American woman in "A Canary For One" bringing her daughter?
(a) A cat.
(b) A dog.
(c) A canary.
(d) A fish.
3. What does the main character of "Banal Story" think is everywhere, based on what he is reading?
4. What is the peasant's name in "An Alpine Idyll"?
5. In "An Alpine Idyll," what does the innkeeper call the peasants?
(b) Little children.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the narrator of this story "A Canary For One"?
2. In "A Pursuit Race," what word does Mr. Turner use instead of saying "drunk" to William?
3. Why does Nick stop thinking about the girls and the types of wives they would be in the story "Now I Lay Me"?
4. What is Mr. Turner's relationship to William in "A Pursuite Race"?
5. In his real life, how did Hemingway ultimately die?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do you think the author wrote “Today Is Friday” in a play version instead of a narrative, like the other stories?
2. In "Banal Story," from what does Manuel Garcia eventually die?
3. What is the subtle suggestion about Indians and their behavior based on the short story “Ten Indians?”
4. How does William respond when Mr. Turner accuses him of drinking too much and of needing help in "A Pursuit Race"?
5. What does Mrs. Garner tell Nick, to make him feel better in "Ten Indians"?
6. In "A Canary For One," why did the American woman take her daughter away?
7. Why is Mr. Turner so concerned about William in "A Pursuit Race"?
8. What is the mean stereotype that Carl says to Nick about his Indian girlfriend in "Ten Indians"?
9. Why does the third soldier in "Today is Friday" not want to drink with the others?
10. What does Nick begin thinking about after John gives him advice in "Now I Lay Me"?
This section contains 658 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)