|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In "Now I Lay Me," why would Nick run out of worms when he went fishing?
(a) Because he only brought ten for bait.
(b) Because he dropped the can.
(c) Because all the worms died in the heat.
(d) Because they slithered out of the can.
2. What literary technique does Hemingway use most frequently in the collection of short stories included in "Men Without Women"?
(a) Figurative language.
(c) Poetic language.
3. What does William have on his forearm, that he shows to Mr. Turner, in "A Pursuit Race"?
(a) Three big bruises.
(b) Two small punctures.
(c) A tattoo.
(d) One huge cut.
4. What is William still doing at the end of "A Pursuit Race"?
5. In "Ten Indians," what animal does Carl compare Indians to?
6. What does the innkeeper bring the two men in "An Alpine Idyll"?
(b) Their wives.
(c) Their mail.
(d) Hot coffee.
7. Where was William when the burlesque show caught up with him in "A Pursuit Race"?
(b) At the bar.
(d) In bed.
8. In "An Alpine Idyll," what does the innkeeper call the peasants?
(c) Little children.
9. According to the American woman in "A Canary For One," who makes the best husbands?
10. What does Nick say he wants to do when he is back home from the war in "Now I Lay Me"?
(a) Have children.
(b) Write for a paper.
(c) Get married.
(d) Buy a farm.
11. What was the weather like when Manuel died in 'Banal Story"?
(a) It was snowing.
(b) It was windy.
(c) It was very hot.
(d) It was raining.
12. In the story "Now I Lay Me," why does John say he should not have gotten into the war?
(a) He is too nervous.
(b) He misses his wife.
(c) He does not believe in violence.
(d) He is not strong enough.
13. Why does Nick stop thinking about the girls and the types of wives they would be in the story "Now I Lay Me"?
(a) Because they all blurred together.
(b) Because he disliked girls.
(c) Because he didn't know any girls.
(d) Because his heart had once been broken and it was too painful to think about.
14. Who do the two men in "An Alpine Idyll" see when they come up the road?
(a) A skier.
(b) A little boy.
(c) A little girl.
(d) A priest.
15. In "A Canary For One," what does the American woman say the canary loves?
(c) The sun.
Short Answer Questions
1. In his drunken state, what does William speak through in the story "A Pursuite Race"?
2. What is the specific holiday during which the story of “Ten Indians” takes place?
3. What does the peasant say in response to his behavior in "An Alpine Idyll"?
4. Who is the narrator of this story "A Canary For One"?
5. What is the name of the family with whom Nick is traveling for the holiday in "Ten Indians"?
This section contains 529 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)