|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What type of trees surrounded the property where Ward's family moved in "We Are Learning"?
2. What highway did Josh take home the night he died?
3. Where did Ronald meet a cousin the night before he died?
4. In "We Are Watching," where did Ward's mother's employer go to college?
5. What movie did a cousin take Joshua and Ward to see in "We Are Learning"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Ward say about Ronald's living situations when she knew him in "Ronald Wayne Lizana"?
2. How did Ronald die?
3. What did Ward's father do when Joshua died?
4. Why did Ward get tattoos on her wrists?
5. Why did Ward's mother not have many options for work?
6. in "Charles Joseph Martin," what did Ward say that she learned since she had left home?
7. Why didn Ward not develop a relationship with any of the other Black students who attended her private school?
8. What did Ward and those in her community mistrust in "Ronald Wayne Lizana"?
9. How did Joshua die?
10. What reason did Ward give for writing the words she wrote?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Both Ward's maternal and paternal grandparents were divorced. How did the divorces affect Ward's parents and the roles they assumed in their families? How did the divorces affect the type of people that Ward's parents became and later Ward and her siblings became?
Essay Topic 2
Violence stalked Ward, her family, and her friends. What type of violence was common? How did that violence affect Ward and her friends? How did it change their lives?
Essay Topic 3
Joshua found a cellar in the woods. What did the cellar symbolize for Ward, and how did the cellar come to haunt her throughout her life?
This section contains 814 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)