|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When did Joshua die?
2. What type of trees screened the city park from Scenic Drive, the highway, and the beach?
3. What highway did Josh take home the night he died?
4. Where did Ward have a boyfriend in "Joshua Adam Dedeaux"?
5. What did Ronald self-medicate with?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Ward's father do when Joshua died?
2. Why did Ward's mother not have many options for work?
3. Why did parents who allowed company, not want company too often?
4. After leaving the family in Gulfport, what did Ward's father do?
5. How did Ward find herself wandering around New York when she lived there?
6. During Ward's time at the private school, how many students were not White?
7. Why did Ward call herself shortsighted about her return home from college?
8. When did C.J. and Charine begin dating, and why did some family members not like their dating?
9. How did Ronald die?
10. Why didn Ward not develop a relationship with any of the other Black students who attended her private school?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Ward struggled emotionally when in college and when she lived in New York. Why did Ward struggle so when she was in college and when she lived in New York? Why was it such an emotional challenge for her to live there? How did her struggles affect decisions she made?
Essay Topic 2
There seemed to be a cycle that Ward, her family, and friends lived. What was the cycle that affected their lives? In what way were they relieving events that had happened to their ancestors? How did that repetition of history affect them and the lives they lived?
Essay Topic 3
Ward struggled with grief after Joshua died. In what ways did she struggle with grief? Why was it so difficult for her to deal with her brother's death? In what ways was she able to cope with his death?
This section contains 866 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)