|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old was Charine when Ward first went away to college?
2. How long of a drive was it from Michigan to Mississippi?
3. When did the Ward's great-grandparents build their home in the author's hometown?
4. What club did Ward visit in "Demond Cook"?
5. How old was Ward when her family moved to a single-wide trailer on a dead-end road in DeLisle?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened to Ward that taught her a lesson about sudden violence?
2. What type of party did Ward have for her seventh birthday?
3. What did Ward say about the names of her hometown?
4. Why did De'Sean live with his grandmother?
5. Why in the 1900s did adults in DeLisle arrange visits with other communities in Alabama or Louisiana?
6. Who was in Ward's immediate family when she was growing up?
7. When Ward was growing up in DeLisle in the 1980s, how was stealing handled?
8. What did Ward's mother look like when she and Ward's father were first married?
9. What was the club like that Ward and her friends went to in "Demond Cook"?
10. How did Ward's great-great grandfather die?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
C. J. didn't believe in a future for himself. How did C. J. live that revealed his belief that life was transient? How did that belief affect the way he lived his life?
Essay Topic 2
Chapter 8 is titled "We Are Watching." What were Ward and Joshua watching in that chapter and what did they learn about their roles in life by watching? How did watching shape the adults they became?
Essay Topic 3
Ward struggled with thoughts of suicide after her brother's death. Why did she struggle with those thoughts? What were some ways that she tried to keep herself from committing suicide? What was the most important reason for not committing suicide and how did that keep her living?
This section contains 777 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)