|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What club did Ward visit in "Demond Cook"?
2. How many pounds of crawfish were set to boil at midnight in "Demond Cook"?
3. What color shirts did Ward's female ancestor's wear in photos she referred to in "We Are In Wolf Town"?
4. When Ward and her family lived at her grandmother Dorothy's house, how long were the shifts that her grandmother worked at the plant?
5. Who came to help Ward drive home from school the summer of 2004?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where were Pass Christian and DeLisle located?
2. What did Ward's maternal grandmother remember about traveling to visit relatives north of DeLisle?
3. What was Ward's mother's home and yard like?
4. Why did De'Sean live with his grandmother?
5. How did Demond die?
6. Why in the 1900s did adults in DeLisle arrange visits with other communities in Alabama or Louisiana?
7. Who lived with Ward's grandmother in "We Are Wounded"?
8. What did Ward say about the names of her hometown?
9. What did Ward remember doing with her Uncle Bookie?
10. What did Ward's classmates from Michigan do during the summer?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Class and race affected Ward when she attended a private school. What is the difference between class and race? How did each affect the lives that Ward, her family, and her friends lived?
Essay Topic 2
Violence stalked Ward, her family, and her friends. What type of violence was common? How did that violence affect Ward and her friends? How did it change their lives?
Essay Topic 3
Joshua found a cellar in the woods. What did the cellar symbolize for Ward, and how did the cellar come to haunt her throughout her life?
This section contains 727 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)