|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many children did Ward's grandmother Dorothy's parents have?
2. What would young people play on Sundays at the county park in Ward's hometown in the Prologue?
3. How old was Ward in "Roger Eric Daniels III"?
4. What time period was covered in "We Are in Wolf Town"?
5. When did the author's brother die?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Ward describe where her father lived in New Orleans?
2. What did Ward's maternal grandmother remember about traveling to visit relatives north of DeLisle?
3. What type of party did Ward have for her seventh birthday?
4. What happened to Ward that taught her a lesson about sudden violence?
5. When Ward was growing up in DeLisle in the 1980s, how was stealing handled?
6. Who lived with Ward's grandmother in "We Are Wounded"?
7. How did Demond die?
8. How did Ward's great-great grandfather die?
9. What did Demond look like when Ward met him?
10. What were some of the jobs that Demond held?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Ward struggled emotionally when in college and when she lived in New York. Why did Ward struggle so when she was in college and when she lived in New York? Why was it such an emotional challenge for her to live there? How did her struggles affect decisions she made?
Essay Topic 2
Violence stalked Ward, her family, and her friends. What type of violence was common? How did that violence affect Ward and her friends? How did it change their lives?
Essay Topic 3
Substance abuse is common in Ward's hometown. How does substance abuse affect the black community Ward has grown up in? How does substance abuse affect her life and the life of her family and friends?
This section contains 756 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)